Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Maybe this has been asked, but why is it so horrible if Rosenstein did talk about wires and the 25th amendment in a non-joking manner?  Is it just because it pisses Trump off? There's nothing illegal with it is there? Isn't it the job of people in power in DC to bring up the topic if it might apply?

Certainly not illegal, but planning to undermine your boss generally doesn’t bode well for your future employment.

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Certainly not illegal, but planning to undermine your boss generally doesn’t bode well for your future employment.

Well is Trump really his boss? And is it really undermining if you're talking about it? If Trump was/is truly not fit, isn't it his responsibility to bring it up? Now if he was planting evidence or some shit like that to make the president look incapable, I get it.

1 minute ago, sachick said:

Well is Trump really his boss? And is it really undermining if you're talking about it? If Trump was/is truly not fit, isn't it his responsibility to bring it up? Now if he was planting evidence or some shit like that to make the president look incapable, I get it.

Yes, Trump is his boss.

Yeah, the Times got used in this deal.  If the authors of that story weren't complicit in it, they are morons for not seeing the motivations for the leak.

Absolutely - Their rush to print has greatly impacted their credibility... Haberman’s meltdown confirms that they know they done goofed.

Being so cavalier with a bombshell like this, and not clearly understanding the motivations behind it, truly make me question their capabilities for investigative journalism.

Way to play riggghhhhtttt into their hands, NYT!
  • Like 1

I’m going to go with: yes, yes and yes.

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

But Rosenstein’s boss is the American People.

It’s the Jaime Lannister dilemma with the Mad King.  

“So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, protect the innocent, defend the weak.

No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another.”

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

But Rosenstein’s boss is the American People.

It’s the Jaime Lannister dilemma with the Mad King.  

“So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, protect the innocent, defend the weak.

No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another.”

Well, no.  Your boss is the person (or persons) who can fire you.

23 minutes ago, sachick said:

Rule of thumb. If somebody can fire you, they are your boss. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

It might if Trump installs a crony in Rosenstein's place. 

This is where semantics come in -

The Federal Vacancies Act is interpreted differently for a firing or a resignation.  Resignation - Trump can fill it with any Senate-confirmed person.  Firing - much more difficult/vague.

Why do you think Sessions hasn't been fired yet? He's trying to get Sessions to resign so he can actually put someone Senate-confirmed there to do his bidding.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

I'd like to get more info on the limits imposed after firing an administration official.  So far I've found nothing.

It's pretty amazing when you realize how much of this shit isn't explicitly stated, because we all just kind of assumed that the President would always be acting in the country's best interest.

Just now, Js1 said:

The TLDR version is that even the Trump WH is wary of their ability to just install someone into a vacancy created by firing. So they NEED it to be a resignation.

It's interesting that "Senate-confirmed" requirement in the event of a resignation merely reflects the (somewhat vague) requirement that a temporary replacement need only be a person already confirmed by the Senate for another role.  In other words (as I am guessing) they've passed the background sniff test.

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It's pretty amazing when you realize how much of this shit isn't explicitly stated, because we all just kind of assumed that the President would always be acting in the country's best interest.

If Rosenstein gets fired and effectively puts the investigation in jeopardy, why doesn't Mueller respond in kind with anything since he's less likely to keep his case intact?  I'm pretty sure Congress would find a way to limbo whatever is brought forward with it being dependent on the review by the next Deputy AG which will be confirmed shortly. So much is being made up as we go.

Edited by Mdhorn

Absolutely - Their rush to print has greatly impacted their credibility... Haberman’s meltdown confirms that they know they done goofed.

Being so cavalier with a bombshell like this, and not clearly understanding the motivations behind it, truly make me question their capabilities for investigative journalism.

Way to play riggghhhhtttt into their hands, NYT!

When/where did Haberman have a meltdown? Haven’t seen it.

1 The NYT is neither a Democratic entity nor an independent agency to protect America. They are a newspaper, and a pretty solid one. Their charter is to report the news, not evaluate how it might affect politics. The day they prioritize the effects of the story over the validity of the story, is a really bad day for America.

2. People are giving the Trump way too much credit for manipulating the news. Sure, someone looking to attack RR probably leaked the story, but it’s silly to think Trump thought it would be better press that the deputy AG thinks he’s mentally ill to the point of incompetence. And while firing RR is made easier by the revelation, it’s still probably a really bad idea. And the idea that Trump would focus the negative attention to himself to take heat off of Kav is nuttier. Trump doesn’t care about the SC, not really.

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

1 The NYT is neither a Democratic entity nor an independent agency to protect America. They are a newspaper, and a pretty solid one. Their charter is to report the news, not evaluate how it might affect politics. The day they prioritize the effects of the story over the validity of the story, is a really bad day for America.

2. People are giving the Trump way too much credit for manipulating the news. Sure, someone looking to attack RR probably leaked the story, but it’s silly to think Trump thought it would be better press that the deputy AG thinks he’s mentally ill to the point of incompetence. And while firing RR is made easier by the revelation, it’s still probably a really bad idea. And the idea that Trump would focus the negative attention to himself to take heat off of Kav is nuttier. Trump doesn’t care about the SC, not really.

See: The Iraq War

16 minutes ago, Tuco said:

And the idea that Trump would focus the negative attention to himself to take heat off of Kav is nuttier. Trump doesn’t care about the SC, not really.

He cares about damaging press to him.  He cares about not losing. 

Kavanaugh getting hit with all kinds of salacious shit hurts Trump’s ability to control the media narrative, he hates that more than anything.

This is about power and control, not political strategy.