AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

If we had put 1/4th the energy into preparing for this semester under Delta variant protocols/vaccine broadcasting, with this thing blazing through our district (not quite 1/100 like Leander, but close) as we did in spending the whole summer bitching and moaning about Critical Race Theory (which isn't being fucking taught in our district you cunts!)...........we'd probably have a handful of cases district-wide instead of now triple digits as of tomorrow.  

May as well have spent the summer wringing out hands because we think teaching all classes are gonna be taught in Latin.  What's the fucking point?  It's a non-issue, it's not happening.  But what is happening?  Exploding cases across the little kids campuses.  And what are we doing about it?  Holding parking lot rallies about mask choice because it's more soothing to the twisted soul than getting parents/older siblings the vaccination and improving air circulation and spacing practices in the schools.  

I now realize some of these families would stand in front of a reporter's microphone with a Cat 3 bearing down on their Southeast Texas coastal residence or business and proudly declare, "We do not acknowledge the evacuation order from the Governor.  As such, our family has decided as a personal choice not to evacuate.  It is our personal freedom to remain in the eye of the hurricane and we ask that you respect our choices!"  

All around lack of plans mainly from Gov limiting virtual classrooms.

We need to get away from the thought that masks prevent covid. They don't. They aren't a vaccine replacement either. They are one tool to limit and/or slow the spread. Positive cases and quarantining we're going to happen no matter what when virtual was taken off the table. 

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

All around lack of plans mainly from Gov limiting virtual classrooms.

We need to get away from the thought that masks prevent covid. They don't. They aren't a vaccine replacement either. They are one tool to limit and/or slow the spread. Positive cases and quarantining we're going to happen no matter what when virtual was taken off the table. 

Tylerisd is doing shit all of nothing at the moment and is having cases left and right.  But last year, it was the largest school district to be open in person for the entire school year, and it did so with a mask mandate in place and, if I'm honest, not a whole lot else that was enforced.  While I agree that making doesn't entirely prevent covid and certainly isn't a vaccine replacement, it slows it enough to make in person school manageable.  My two vaccinated kids are in the minority of mask wearers so far in the two most populated schools in the district.  But (knock wood), they haven't had to miss any school yet. 

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Tylerisd is doing shit all of nothing at the moment and is having cases left and right.  But last year, it was the largest school district to be open in person for the entire school year, and it did so with a mask mandate in place and, if I'm honest, not a whole lot else that was enforced.  While I agree that making doesn't entirely prevent covid and certainly isn't a vaccine replacement, it slows it enough to make in person school manageable.  My two vaccinated kids are in the minority of mask wearers so far in the two most populated schools in the district.  But (knock wood), they haven't had to miss any school yet. 

I've been thinking about this and wondering why we seem to be seeing more spread now vs. last year, even where kids are masked. Delta's higher transmissibility alone could explain it but I'm curious what else might be at play.

For your school district last year, were there online options for kids?  And if so, how many kids do you think were in-person, versus online-only?

For my kids' schools in Leander ISD, they started off the year in September with maybe 50% in-person.  By the end of the schoolyear in May it was maybe 75%-80% in-person.  And cases increased in the second half of the year, as the classrooms got more full and the possibilities for social distancing were diminished.  They still didn't have a TON of cases, but there was a noticeable increase as the class sizes increased.

So just wondering what it was like in your school district and if increased class size, resulting in diminished opportunities for distancing, is a contributing factor.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Agreed on the masking.  No shit it won't prevent COVID, and neither will the vaccine.  But after one of my son's classmates tested positive after spending an entire day at school, nobody else in his class has tested positive.  I consider that anecdotal evidence that masking helps.  But I might eat crow if next week AISD starts looking like Leander ISD, which started a week before us and has told masks to fuck off.

My district (small rural) has no mask mandates and a low vaccination rate. They also have said all close contact teachers have to take 10 of their own days to quarantine or get tested every other day for 10 days.

I’m vaccinated and have been wearing a mask, but neither of those things matter for the protocols listed above. I’m a close contact as of today. Yay!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

23 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've been thinking about this and wondering why we seem to be seeing more spread now vs. last year, even where kids are masked. Delta's higher transmissibility alone could explain it but I'm curious what else might be at play.

For your school district last year, were there online options for kids?  And if so, how many kids do you think were in-person, versus online-only?

For my kids' schools in Leander ISD, they started off the year in September with maybe 50% in-person.  By the end of the schoolyear in May it was maybe 75%-80% in-person.  And cases increased in the second half of the year, as the classrooms got more full and the possibilities for social distancing were diminished.  They still didn't have a TON of cases, but there was a noticeable increase as the class sized increased.

So just wondering what it was like in your school district and if increased class size, resulting in diminished opportunities for distancing, is a contributing factor.

My memory has faded a bit.  But I'll try to ball park it.  So when it started (August 2020), I'm going to guess it was about 75% in person/25% remote.  My kids started remote with the idea that they we would let the district work out the kinks over the first six weeks.  I know some districts did pretty well with remote, but TylerISD's remote learning was a completely unorganized shit show.  It was all on the individual teachers and was confusing as hell for the kids.  We put them into in-person after 3 weeks. 

By the end of the first six weeks, I would guess it was 85%/15% in person versus remote.  According to my kids, most of their classmates were pretty compliant with the masks, but, of course, lunch and athletics are what they are. 

Remote learning basically ended in November unless the kid was quarantined because of a positive test or could produce a doctor's note so that they could keep going remote).  So nearly 100% in person (masked) starting there. 

My older son tested positive in early December, we think from someone on the cross country team (they were still running off season).  His symptoms were mild (slight headache, tired) and lasted less than 24 hours.  Still, he had a two week remote stint, which was slightly more manageable than at the beginning of the year, but was fairly crappy.

Spring was a regular, but manageable trickle of cases.  Maybe a couple per week in the larger schools in the district. 

In early May, they went masks optional (my kids continued to wear them.  I'd guess 50/50 on maks.  Cases increased noticeably but not dramatically.

My assessment from all of this is that even if we are 100% masked up, Delta is going to cause more cases.  Smith County is about 41% vaccinated (12 and up).  I assume that that rate is low 30s from kids 12--18 with 59% of parents (unvaccinated) saying my kid ain't gettin that devil shot, and a nominal percentage of vaccinated parents wanting to hold out based on other concerns.  But kids in masks in our district is probably less than 20%.  And our dashboard is blowing up harder than it did in May 2021 when they went optional.  I think that if they were masked up, it would be a slightly heavier trickle than it was in January 2021, which I would attribute to Delta and some mask wearing kids having been vaccinated.  The case count so far looks like several months worth of cases from the last school year.

I am a JD, not an MD.  So all the grains of salt should apply to the above.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Agreed on the masking.  No shit it won't prevent COVID, and neither will the vaccine.  But after one of my son's classmates tested positive after spending an entire day at school, nobody else in his class has tested positive.  I consider that anecdotal evidence that masking helps.  But I might eat crow if next week AISD starts looking like Leander ISD, which started a week before us and has told masks to fuck off.

Leander ISD has a mask mandate.  They offered a stupid cop-out waiver, and I read (I think, here on this thread, probably from JSD) that up to 10% of parents in the district have signed on to opt out.  But in my kids' school the teachers are telling me they're seeing almost 100% compliance, and my kids have confirmed that.

As I alluded to in my previous post, I'm wondering if the larger issue right now, could be the inability to gain adequate physical distance from one another.  Last year with online options, there were quite a few kids who never stepped into the school at all, which kept the class sizes down and the capability of distancing, up.  But this year, my kids are telling me that the school seems more crowded even than it was 2 years ago pre-COVID.

Edited by utee94

On a side note, my high school son said he was surprised (me too) by the number of kids that have and are scheduled to get vaccinated because of Pfizer getting full approval. I didn't think it would really be a hold up, but appears for many it was for the kids as most of their parents got vaccinated pretty early on.

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

When is this happening? My 4th grader's whole class was sent home yesterday to quarantine because one of the kids tested positive. They've all been masked so I'm not super worried about it but we're getting him tested soon so he can get back to in-person school. He's upset that he just got back to "normal school" with his friends and it only lasted a week before having to come back home.

Starts tomorrow 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Leander ISD has a mask mandate.  They offered a stupid cop-out waiver, and I read (I think, here on this thread, probably from JSD) that up to 10% of parents in the district have signed on to opt out.  But in my kids' school the teachers are telling me they're seeing almost 100% compliance, and my kids have confirmed that.

As I alluded to in my previous post, I'm wondering if the larger issue right now, could be the inability to gain adequate physical distance from one another.  Last year with online options, there were quite a few kids who never stepped into the school at all, which kept the class sizes down and the capability of distancing, up.  But this year, my kids are telling me that the school seems more crowded even than it was 2 years ago pre-COVID.

My wife and I are at different schools within the district, and at both campuses there is nowhere near 100% compliance.

I'm in Spring Branch in Houston with a 5th grader in one school and a 7th grader at another.  5th grader tested covid positive yesterday.  7th grader tested negative.  5th grader is in quarantine, obviously, but what do you do with the 7th grader?  Is he clear to go to school with the negative test?  Does he have to isolate for 5 days?  10?  Maybe until the 5th grader and he are both negative?  Luckily, the school district has come up with a good plan.  Just kidding.  They don't have a fucking clue.  You get a different response depending on who you talk to and what time of day it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Gunsup said:

My wife and I are at different schools within the district, and at both campuses there is nowhere near 100% compliance.

Sorry to hear that.  I obviously can't, and won't, speak for any schools other than the one my kids go to.

Well as if Covid wasn't enough, I just got an email from Austin High that a staff member saw a suspicious man by the back door of the school and called the cops.

The motherfucker acting weirdly had two firearms on him, he's been arrested but thinking of what could have happened is awful.

Happened this morning. None of the kids were impacted and mad props to the staff member who saw this fucker lurking around and called it in.

I have a freshman there and just reading the email AHS sent put a pit in my stomach.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

That staff member should be made principal, IMO.  Glad nothing bad happened, but damn you for giving more shit to worry about.  Some parent is going to revolt, somewhere in this country, against the mandates by going in weapons hot to the front office of their kids' school.  Considering a man just slaughtered his whole family over this shit with a harpoon gun and another man took a sword through his brother's skull because they both felt the media was lying to them about all these "manufactured crisis", maybe there's a possible problem?  I know, I know...anecdotal and hyperbolic evidence, Lobo.  

I admit that's true.  'Cause a school shooting would just be beyond the imagination, right?  Some parent is gonna act out on all this, watch.  We've already had two physical altercations in my little district over masks already.  I know one of the female parents involved gladly brags about her concealed weapon in her car.  I don't think she's that crazy though, for the record.  But in a game of one-ups-manship...somebody is gonna go the next level when vaccine mandates come down the pike.  I know, I know...violent acts to protest benign suggestions would never happen in America.  I get it.  Nothing to worry about.  

5 minutes ago, midtown said:

This study was posted today.  Not peer reviewed etc.  Summary.   No evidence that masking school kids is preventing covid transmission.  Seems like school masking just gives a false sense of security

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.20.21262349v1

I can buy that because so many of them just don't wear it correctly.  And because most kids, even as early as kinder, can understand to stay seated and stay on task with mask on...but when snack/recess/cafeteria lunch comes around...it's masks off and in each other's faces.  If you tested the transmission rates during some fixed 15-minute intensive instructional portion of the day for those 5-11 aged, it would probably look pretty good.  But over a whole day, it's a fucking crapshoot.  

Of the 4 cases in my daughter's class, 3 of those families are "Our personal choice is not to take the vaccine (6 parents and a couple of older/vacc eligible aged siblings)."  They fucking broadcasted it, we didn't inquire.  Kinda like they were weirdly proud of it.  Obviously it's anecdotal.

It's a tough time at dropoff these days, when my daughter pulls her mask up before getting out of the car and says something like "I hope nobody else in my class gets sick from coronavirus, we're all having so much fun and learning so much."  And I'm looking at a few of these parents like, "I hope your lungs suffocate you in your sleep you ignorant fuckbag."

9 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Welp...

This is exactly why we pulled our kids. Essentially, things will change on a weekly basis and schools may shut down on occasion until this has passed. Our kids have never been in a classroom before, due to their age, so we didn't want to give them a glimpse of what they could be having and then have it taken away from them.

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

This is exactly why we pulled our kids. Essentially, things will change on a weekly basis and schools may shut down on occasion until this has passed. Our kids have never been in a classroom before, due to their age, so we didn't want to give them a glimpse of what they could be having and then have it taken away from them.

I don't know if y'all have been paying attention, but after very careful consideration.....our state sucks.

3movies_wg_snap_beringer-750x407.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

40 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Well as if Covid wasn't enough, I just got an email from Austin High that a staff member saw a suspicious man by the back door of the school and called the cops.

The motherfucker acting weirdly had two firearms on him, he's been arrested but thinking of what could have happened is awful.

Happened this morning. None of the kids were impacted and mad props to the staff member who saw this fucker lurking around and called it in.

I have a freshman there and just reading the email AHS sent put a pit in my stomach.

Yep, I have a sophomore and just about threw up when I got the message.

Just now, fluff said:

Well just got a call from school, my 5yo in K has a fever.  And another call from daycare, my 1.5yo is fussy and won't settle down.  FML.  Here we go.

Hope they're okay.  It might be the non-COVID respiratory infection that's been going around.  A client has three boys who have been battling that over a week (they all tested negative for COVID).

2 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

I'm in Spring Branch in Houston with a 5th grader in one school and a 7th grader at another.  5th grader tested covid positive yesterday.  7th grader tested negative.  5th grader is in quarantine, obviously, but what do you do with the 7th grader?  Is he clear to go to school with the negative test?  Does he have to isolate for 5 days?  10?  Maybe until the 5th grader and he are both negative?  Luckily, the school district has come up with a good plan.  Just kidding.  They don't have a fucking clue.  You get a different response depending on who you talk to and what time of day it is.

I'd say responsible citizen answer is keep the 5th grader and 7th grader apart, keep them both home, test the 7th grader and yourselves every other day for a week and if all have continued to test negative send them back to school. No idea what the school required answer is.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

On a side note, my high school son said he was surprised (me too) by the number of kids that have and are scheduled to get vaccinated because of Pfizer getting full approval. I didn't think it would really be a hold up, but appears for many it was for the kids as most of their parents got vaccinated pretty early on.

I had a family member get a Pfizer vaccination recently on the heels of the announcement who had been holding out. Good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, orange dream said:

I'd say responsible citizen answer is keep the 5th grader and 7th grader apart, keep them both home, test the 7th grader and yourselves every other day for a week and if all have continued to test negative send them back to school. No idea what the school required answer is.

Definitely don't send the 7th grader to school. 

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Even if the masks only prevent 10% of cases, PICU beds are non-existent in a lot of hospitals in Austin, so even just keeping a handful of kids who could end up in the hospital from getting it is a win.

As for AISD, things are not looking good - we are climbing (and like I've said in the past, these are just kids/staff who have been tested).

https://www.austinisd.org/dashboard

Animated GIF

1 hour ago, midtown said:

This study was posted today.  Not peer reviewed etc.  Summary.   No evidence that masking school kids is preventing covid transmission.  Seems like school masking just gives a false sense of security

Not saying it is the case with masks, but I think the cheap scanners that you point and shoot at peoples foreheads to see if they have a fever or not is mostly wasted effort and energy and definitely a false sense of security. 100% especially if that is the only thing you are doing before someone enters your school or business. Nobody I know ever had a fever when they had Covid-19.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I'm in this camp that solely on their own I don't think masks physically do anything and actually could make it worse seeing how is causes kids to touch their face all day long, they aren't clean and often rubber all over desks, tables etc, and they aren't fitted or worn correctly. 

But I do think it acts as a physical reminder to be more diligent social distancing, washing hands, cleaning etc that likely overcomes that.

I so wish people/schools had tied wearing a mask to being unvaccinated - ie. vaccinated you don't have to wear one as getting people vaccinated is really the only thing that is going to really slow/stop this thing. Yeah, enforcement would be a bitch but it would at least push people to just get it done.

I also think the numbers seen on school covid dashboards are more a reflection of the household vaxxed/un-vaxxed demographics of the districts and not the mask/no-mask mandates.

17 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Not saying it is the case with masks, but I think the cheap scanners that you point and shoot at peoples foreheads to see if they have a fever or not is mostly wasted effort and energy and definitely a false sense of security. 100% especially if that is the only thing you are doing before someone enters your school or business. Nobody I know ever had a fever when they had Covid-19.

My Climbing gym had the scanner at the front.  I never once even registered above 97.5, but then again I never had Covid either. It was not a cheap scanner either.  I think they just set it for "open for business".  Back then they were were pretty strict with 100% mask mandate and limited by appointment only 2 hour time slots.

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Even if the masks only prevent 10% of cases, PICU beds are non-existent in a lot of hospitals in Austin, so even just keeping a handful of kids who could end up in the hospital from getting it is a win.

As for AISD, things are not looking good - we are climbing (and like I've said in the past, these are just kids/staff who have been tested).

https://www.austinisd.org/dashboard

Animated GIF

Unsettling gif is unsettling.

LTISD board is having a meeting tonight on safety measures, i.e. masks.  Wife told me that there were a bunch of dip shits with signs in 620 this morning in front of the high school.  Kinda pissed that she didn't swerve off the road and take some of them out.  Or at least roll down here window, honk the horn, and tell them to go fuck themselves.  

• Haha 1

LTISD board is having a meeting tonight on safety measures, i.e. masks.  Wife told me that there were a bunch of dip shits with signs in 620 this morning in front of the high school.  Kinda pissed that she didn't swerve off the road and take some of them out.  Or at least roll down here window, honk the horn, and tell them to go fuck themselves.  
Those chucklefucks are addicted to that hobby.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So, they won't wear masks, won't get vaccinated, and don't have anywhere to be during the workday because they're jobless?  What the fuck good are these people? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Of two breakthroughs in friends of mine within the last two weeks, both have had persistent fevers, one of which was continuing to spike above 103 for the past six days.

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

Yeah, they're both home.  The little one has been banished to his room.  He's actually been having a great time on Zoom with his buddies who also have it.  We have four boxes of Abbott home tests.  I'm hoping everyone is negative by Sunday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

3 hours ago, Cap33 said:

Yep, I have a sophomore and just about threw up when I got the message.

I'm curious if it was a recent grad.  No mugshots/names yet.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/armed-man-detained-near-austin-high-school-police-say/

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

She should have got out and walked up to them without a mask, and started talking about how masks lower your oxygen levels and the vaccines turn your arms into magnets, and then fake a coughing fit or two and watch them scatter.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

So, they won't wear masks, won't get vaccinated, and don't have anywhere to be during the workday because they're jobless?  What the fuck good are these people? 

It would be even funnier if they were taking their vacation/PTO/whatever to protest, and then they get sick with it (from the protest itself), have to miss a bunch of work, and take it in the wallet.

I'm an asshole for thinking that would be funny, I know.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

RSV.  We're convinced that's what my son had a coupla weeks ago.  Primary symptom was a fever.  Tested negative twice.  None of the rest of us came down with anything.

Same.  Son tested negative for Covid and Strep.  Then wife, daughter, and I started feeling like shit and tested negative for Covid.  RSV likely culprit, but there are some other viruses floating around as well so who knows.  Ultimately amounted to nothing much, but the boy was miserable with whatever it was.