AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

Our district has been sending out daily notifications on the number of cases at the kids' schools.  The high school's notices always say "We have had at least five cases today..."  Obviously they are trying to hide the total number for some reason, but so be it.

Well they finally brought back the dashboard today and that "at least five cases" is in actuality thirty-fucking-two cases at one school.  Holeee fuck.

• Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not going to happen with that many people.  

So we ride blind and won't actually do the work involved to determine if school based transmission is actually a concern, or whether the case counts are just a correlate of community based transmission. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's complicated.   How many of these kids are masking up in schools, and then turning around and hanging out unmasked at the neighborhood park or in Sunday school at their church or having friends over unmasked or whatever?  

How do you track that data?

Or at the soda shop for that matter

Posted this in the Texas COVID thread, but just for my epitaph:

Report from Day 1 for my vaxxed kids at HISD high school:

1.  Virtually 100% masked up and teachers/hall people were riding the kids pretty hard about it. 
2. Hallways so congested you could hardly walk between bells. Said they had never been in a crowd that packed together. 
3. Teachers in class taking it seriously.

So pretty good except I fear point 2 overrides everything else.

From a lawyer buddy who’s wife is a kinder teacher for HISD:

Three kids tested positive today at school.

They are not allowed to tell the other parents of the kids in the class.

They aren’t allowed to say why grade the cases were in.

The kids are allowed to return to class tomorrow if they are fever free. 

The kids are not required to wear masks.

• Rage+1 3

51 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Our district has been sending out daily notifications on the number of cases at the kids' schools.  The high school's notices always say "We have had at least five cases today..."  Obviously they are trying to hide the total number for some reason, but so be it.

Well they finally brought back the dashboard today and that "at least five cases" is in actuality thirty-fucking-two cases at one school.  Holeee fuck.

That's infuriating.  32 is slightly more than five.  I get the spirit of what they were trying to do with "at least give", but 32?  C'mon! 

You could get Texas parents' attention with, "The varsity defense gave up at least 7 points in last Friday's game."  Days later, "It was technically 56."  

58 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So we ride blind and won't actually do the work involved to determine if school based transmission is actually a concern, or whether the case counts are just a correlate of community based transmission. 

If you take your kid to a park, do you know the names of every kid they played with or were around, and for how long they were around those kids?  Do you know what school(s), daycares, pods, etc. those kids attend, what siblings those kids have and who their parents are?  Do you know what other kids play with the kids that play with your kids at the park?

If you take your kid to church, do you know the names of every kid they played with or were around in Sunday school, and for how long they were around those kids?  Do you know what school(s), daycares, pods, etc.  those kids attend, what siblings those kids have and who their parents are?  Do you know what other kids play with the kids that play with your Sunday school or church?

When your kid is at recess at school, is that kid confined to only playing with kids in their class, or can they roam the playground?  If so, are the teachers able to track what kids played with what kids out of a hundred kids or more at any given time?  Are the teachers aware of what siblings your kid has, and who that sibling is exposed to.  Do they know what other kids play with the kids that play with your kids at recess?

I understand what you are saying, but we were never going to have a robust enough system to do it properly.

What we can do is act like school-based transmission is a concern, and have the kids mask up and do a little extra cleaning, and do a little extra spacing in the classrooms, because even if school-based transmission is not much of a concern, if we can try and keep school-based transmissions down, that still helps the load on our hospitals, and still keeps butts in seats.  This Delta variant has really thrown a wrench in the works.

42 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

From a lawyer buddy who’s wife is a kinder teacher for HISD:

Three kids tested positive today at school.

They are not allowed to tell the other parents of the kids in the class.

They aren’t allowed to say why grade the cases were in.

The kids are allowed to return to class tomorrow if they are fever free. 

The kids are not required to wear masks.

They are required to wear masks in HISD.

https://abc13.com/houston-isd-mask-mandate-hisd-virtual-academy-covid-dashboard-millard-house/10969071/

Oh, please please please post it here! (after keeping it anonymous obviously).  

There is so little speedo-related hate speech in this country.  I mean, you expect it from the Hungarians.  But not us.

Leander ISD ending the day at 132 (up from 52 last Monday).  5X increase in a week is well impressive.  Last week was 211 cases, so if we keep this pace up over 1000 cases this week (or 2.5% of all students in the district).  If we keep the rate of increase up, we'll be shutting schools next week. I said it before, but the max weekly cases last year was 130, we broke that on a Monday.

Was at my daughter's volleyball game this evening.  I'd say it was maybe 30% in masks even though there's a mask mandate.  Fucking idiots, all of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh, please please please post it here! (after keeping it anonymous obviously).  
There is so little speedo-related hate speech in this country.  I mean, you expect it from the Hungarians.  But not us.

Yeah, I have the posting talent of a child. If someone can give me advice on how to post a video I can try. If not, send me a DM.

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you take your kid to a park, do you know the names of every kid they played with or were around, and for how long they were around those kids?  Do you know what school(s), daycares, pods, etc. those kids attend, what siblings those kids have and who their parents are?  Do you know what other kids play with the kids that play with your kids at the park?

If you take your kid to church, do you know the names of every kid they played with or were around in Sunday school, and for how long they were around those kids?  Do you know what school(s), daycares, pods, etc.  those kids attend, what siblings those kids have and who their parents are?  Do you know what other kids play with the kids that play with your Sunday school or church?

When your kid is at recess at school, is that kid confined to only playing with kids in their class, or can they roam the playground?  If so, are the teachers able to track what kids played with what kids out of a hundred kids or more at any given time?  Are the teachers aware of what siblings your kid has, and who that sibling is exposed to.  Do they know what other kids play with the kids that play with your kids at recess?

I understand what you are saying, but we were never going to have a robust enough system to do it properly.

What we can do is act like school-based transmission is a concern, and have the kids mask up and do a little extra cleaning, and do a little extra spacing in the classrooms, because even if school-based transmission is not much of a concern, if we can try and keep school-based transmissions down, that still helps the load on our hospitals, and still keeps butts in seats.  This Delta variant has really thrown a wrench in the works.

Uh, yeah I know who we sat next to in church last Sunday, and I know all the kids that my children practice soccer with, and have had play dates or other interactions. If required I can probably identify 80-90% of my children's out of school contacts over the last week (Well, I couldn't myself, but between the wife and I we would get there). I am on the same page wrt mask wearing, social distancing and cleaning in schools.  We were doing all that shit last year and should have held the line this year.  And maybe tried to do a little more. Other's mileage may vary.  

You gotta hand it to him, he paced his comments parallel to his stripping and nailed all of it with 5 seconds to spare.  All under the pressure of public speaking.  That ain't easy to do.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

That was not what I was expecting.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

You gotta hand it to him, he paced his comments parallel to his stripping and nailed all of it with 5 seconds to spare.  All under the pressure of public speaking.  That ain't easy to do.

I'm impressed.

@1978horn Kudos to you, that was awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I’m drunk. Any chance he was being sarcastic to actually mean “Just because I think the government shouldn’t impede my rights including if I want to run a stop sign or park in a handicap spot, doing it makes me an inconsiderate asshole and possibly puts others in danger…just like how I don’t like mask mandates even though I am wearing one and think they people who don’t are inconsiderate assholes!” ?

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I’m drunk. Any chance he was being sarcastic to actually mean “Just because I think the government shouldn’t impede my rights including if I want to run a stop sign or park in a handicap spot, doing it makes me an inconsiderate asshole and possibly puts others in danger…just like how I don’t like mask mandates even though I am wearing one and think they people who don’t are inconsiderate assholes!” ?

That was my take.  Also had a couple of drinks.

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

"Mr. Akers, I know you're a swimmer [and it looks like it's pretty cold out there tonight], but would you please put your pants back on."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2021 at 8:30 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Rice University has gone online to start, but they are also "requiring" locals to NOT show up on campus for move in. Telling anyone else who can to not come.  Word getting spread that the plan is for fall semester to completely be online.  Apparently they also sold off the buildings they were using last year for quarantine so they don't have any place to quarantine mass students anymore.

https://abc13.com/rice-university-delays-classes-false-covid-positive-tests-online-learning/10969374/

Apparently the testing data Rice used to decide to go online was bad.  They used a new company using a new test and the results were many times greater than expected causing them to decide to go online.  

Days after it moved its first two weeks of classes online due to a high number of students testing positive for the coronavirus, Rice University said Monday it has retested dozens of students and "all but one of those have turned out to be negative."