2020 Astros Season Thread

Jshep34

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Pesky As won't lose. Swept SF.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Call it loser talk if you want but it wouldn’t really upset me if the A’s win the west.

go in as the 4 or 5 seed. Take down the Yankees in the 5 game divisional round.

sorry, but I don’t like this team’s chances in a 7 game series against them

that changes if we somehow get a 100% healthy (and stretched out) JV by October but you’re kidding yourself if you think that’s actually going to happen.

58 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Call it loser talk if you want but it wouldn’t really upset me if the A’s win the west.

go in as the 4 or 5 seed. Take down the Yankees in the 5 game divisional round.

sorry, but I don’t like this team’s chances in a 7 game series against them

that changes if we somehow get a 100% healthy (and stretched out) JV by October but you’re kidding yourself if you think that’s actually going to happen.

Get the 8 seed and beat them 2 out of 3. Watch the world burn. 

17 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

The A’s aren’t pesky anymore.  They are a better team than the Astros right now.  

Pretty much indisputable.

Howevah... the A's have been firing on all cylinders.  Houston has been searching for pitching and specifically bullpen consistency beyond consistently being shitty. Being 4.5 games back at the 1/3 mark of the season is borderline miraculous, all things considered.  The Astros have a shit-ton of upside remaining.

we're 11-10 with almost no verlander, almost no yordan, almost no osuna, no peacock, no smith, a horrid altuve.  most of the offense is scuffling, along with the 9 rookies in our pen.

being kind, we have lost 2-3 games we should've won (the real number is more like 6-7, but whatever).  a 3 game swing puts us at 14-7 and this team is not a .667 team right now, so i think it's just the shitty schedule.

get yordan and pressly right.  get uncle mike back.  get altuve/bregs shit together.  pray for jv to be back for oct, and see what happens.  should still be fun and there are some definitely some bright spots on our pitching staff.

25 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we're 11-10 with almost no verlander, almost no yordan, almost no osuna, no peacock, no smith, a horrid altuve.  most of the offense is scuffling, along with the 9 rookies in our pen.

being kind, we have lost 2-3 games we should've won (the real number is more like 6-7, but whatever).  a 3 game swing puts us at 14-7 and this team is not a .667 team right now, so i think it's just the shitty schedule.

get yordan and pressly right.  get uncle mike back.  get altuve/bregs shit together.  pray for jv to be back for oct, and see what happens.  should still be fun and there are some definitely some bright spots on our pitching staff.

No doubt.  Great recovery this past week.  Keep winning series and get in the tournament.   

28 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

When we start cheating again we'll be pesky af.  I can't wait.

The results don’t indicate it, but who said we stopped( all methods?)

Machete named Astros Player of the Week.   His influence on the pitching staff has been priceless.  Throw in some timely hits and nailing runners at 2nd and Maldonado has truly been crushing it.

the record doesn't show it but the Astros have had some bad luck that should eventually revert to the norm. Ran some numbers to compare to previous season:

Record in 1 run games

2020: 3-5

2019 24-19

2018 24-24

2017 19-13

Another weird stat for this year that stands out is that we're 1-4 in walk-off games this year. Almost 20% of our games have ended in a walk-off. Previous season, we had between 4-8% of our games ending in a walk-off.  I always think that a walk-off and extra inning game come down to luck. Any team has the ability to get 1 run against another team or pitcher. Perhaps even just guessing the next pitch. I assume we won't end up with 20% of our games ending in a walk-off. 

55 minutes ago, WBT said:

80% of those starts were by Framber, Javier, Bielak, and LMJ off of TJ.  The hell with trash cans, Strom is the secret to our success.  I only wish he were 20 years younger.

Yoda was much more a badass as an elder statesman.  I'm cool with Strommy as he is now.  He's got quite the touch with the younglings, eh?