2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Wonder what the ticket market will look like for those 12,500 Texas OU tickets. 

Probably cheaper than one would expect.  

State Fair will be shut down, no beer sales, no food, tailgates and assemblies discouraged, no Fairgrounds pregame shows and the DART might not be running express routes to Fair Park.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

State Fair will be shut down, no beer sales, no food, tailgates and assemblies discouraged, no Fairgrounds pregame shows and the DART might not be running express routes to Fair Park.

If the game is played and fans are allowed.  My ass will be there.  I'm sure many feel the same.

Camp Notes:

EMERGING THEMES

Now with the benefit of a full scrimmage — about 70 snaps — we can start identifying the strengths and weaknesses of this promising team.

Defensive line and quarterback: When you go to build a team in the NFL this is where much of your resources are allocated. If UT was up against the financial constraints of the NFL structure, they’d have trouble funding these two positions.

Zero sum makes it a bit tougher to know whether the defensive line is good or the offensive line is bad, but I feel confident the O-line is at least average and the defensive line is good, and potentially great compared to the rest of the schedule.

We know Sam Cosmi is good, and he gave up a sack to Jacoby Jones. We know Junior Angilau is at least solid, and he’s been struggling with Keondre Coburn. We’ve seen enough to know that Ta’Quon Graham is a good college player. Everybody, including NFL teams, know of Joseph Ossai’s ability. So, with confidence we state, the defensive line is good. It’s likely very good.

Sam Ehlinger probably feels like it’s 2017 again with how little time he’s had when facing the ones, but he’s still making plays. He’s feeling pressure in the pocket and adjusting on deeper routes and getting the ball out timely and accurately on RPOs. With an average quarterback, these scrimmages would hold little value because the D-line would dominate and ruin plays right off the snap.

Depth on the OL needs to improve: It‘s not just the first team O-line struggling with the D-line, the same can be said for the second team. The discrepancy might even be worse. Ideally you have 7-8 guys who are starter quality. Texas has five, maybe six. Isaiah Hookfin, the presumed 5th, is inexperienced.

Of the freshmen offensive linemen, Andrej Karic will be the first one ready to play. He’s up to around 300 pounds and getting reps with the second team. He still needs to redshirt but he’s ahead of his classmates.

Another emerging theme is the offensive line needs to get nastier.

Ash’s philosophy is on display: We’ve mentioned he wants a very active front four that forces the QB to get the ball out underneath quickly. From there he wants the corners to suffocate those routes. That’s exactly what we heard after the first scrimmage. It sounds like he’s dictating to the offense, which is what should happen early in August camp. Over time we should hear of the offense landing more punches.

CB‘s are still susceptible: An emerging theme from last year was the defensive backs giving up the big play, in part because they couldn’t locate the ball. That is still an issue. While the offense struggles at times, it has still shown the ability to win deep. Are the corners too focused on the shorter routes? It should be noted that a lot of those big plays were made by Troy Omeire who will now miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL. So, if they don’t give up those plays going forward, it doesn’t necessarily mean they fixed the issue.

Still plenty of talent at wide receiver: In a season where Texas needs every good break it can get, losing Omeire hurts, but there is still a lot of talent at the position. Andre Coleman is certainly working to get the best group of players on the field independent of where they fit best on paper. This will be an explosive group.

Like Ash, Yurcich is as advertised as well: The O has been a bit handicapped because of the difference between OL and DL, but we feel strongly we’ll see a more varied, complete, and explosive offense. The defense has been forced to cover the entire field. We’re hearing of many more route combinations. The tight ends and running backs are used in the passing game more often. Something tells us we won’t see four verts on 3rd and 5.

We’re also hearing about many more personnel packages.

Linebacker play should be fine: It helps this group tremendously they have such a quality defensive line in front of them. That allows for the linebackers to use their speed to track the ball carrier with minimal conflict on their way to the ball. This is a pretty fast group.

We were pretty high on Jaden Hullaby and Jaylan Ford based on what sources were saying about how they worked and carried themselves. That is carrying over with the pads on. The future is bright at the position even if no other safeties spin down.

Expect the younger guys to see their reps go up this week.

Field corner still undetermined: The biggest battle in camp right now is taking place at field corner. With Josh Thompson injured, the competition is between Jalen Green and Kenyatta Watson. Don’t be surprised if Watson pulls ahead. On top of being a great athlete, he’s very coachable with a workmanlike attitude.

I'm bullish on the Dline being good this year but I still doubt we have turned into Bama on the front already so those OL vs. DL notes aren't great. Zero sum/early practice favors the defense and all that but Hand needs to put together an above average offensive line for us to have the season we want. 

20 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If the game is played and fans are allowed.  My ass will be there.  I'm sure many feel the same.

I think demand will be high unless COVID yet again changes things for the worse. It's not like it's an exhibition game or anything. There will be 4 times fewer tickets available for the biggest game of the year, for what should be our strongest team in years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Camp Notes:

Hide contents

EMERGING THEMES

Now with the benefit of a full scrimmage — about 70 snaps — we can start identifying the strengths and weaknesses of this promising team.

Defensive line and quarterback: When you go to build a team in the NFL this is where much of your resources are allocated. If UT was up against the financial constraints of the NFL structure, they’d have trouble funding these two positions.

Zero sum makes it a bit tougher to know whether the defensive line is good or the offensive line is bad, but I feel confident the O-line is at least average and the defensive line is good, and potentially great compared to the rest of the schedule.

We know Sam Cosmi is good, and he gave up a sack to Jacoby Jones. We know Junior Angilau is at least solid, and he’s been struggling with Keondre Coburn. We’ve seen enough to know that Ta’Quon Graham is a good college player. Everybody, including NFL teams, know of Joseph Ossai’s ability. So, with confidence we state, the defensive line is good. It’s likely very good.

Sam Ehlinger probably feels like it’s 2017 again with how little time he’s had when facing the ones, but he’s still making plays. He’s feeling pressure in the pocket and adjusting on deeper routes and getting the ball out timely and accurately on RPOs. With an average quarterback, these scrimmages would hold little value because the D-line would dominate and ruin plays right off the snap.

Depth on the OL needs to improve: It‘s not just the first team O-line struggling with the D-line, the same can be said for the second team. The discrepancy might even be worse. Ideally you have 7-8 guys who are starter quality. Texas has five, maybe six. Isaiah Hookfin, the presumed 5th, is inexperienced.

Of the freshmen offensive linemen, Andrej Karic will be the first one ready to play. He’s up to around 300 pounds and getting reps with the second team. He still needs to redshirt but he’s ahead of his classmates.

Another emerging theme is the offensive line needs to get nastier.

Ash’s philosophy is on display: We’ve mentioned he wants a very active front four that forces the QB to get the ball out underneath quickly. From there he wants the corners to suffocate those routes. That’s exactly what we heard after the first scrimmage. It sounds like he’s dictating to the offense, which is what should happen early in August camp. Over time we should hear of the offense landing more punches.

CB‘s are still susceptible: An emerging theme from last year was the defensive backs giving up the big play, in part because they couldn’t locate the ball. That is still an issue. While the offense struggles at times, it has still shown the ability to win deep. Are the corners too focused on the shorter routes? It should be noted that a lot of those big plays were made by Troy Omeire who will now miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL. So, if they don’t give up those plays going forward, it doesn’t necessarily mean they fixed the issue.

Still plenty of talent at wide receiver: In a season where Texas needs every good break it can get, losing Omeire hurts, but there is still a lot of talent at the position. Andre Coleman is certainly working to get the best group of players on the field independent of where they fit best on paper. This will be an explosive group.

Like Ash, Yurcich is as advertised as well: The O has been a bit handicapped because of the difference between OL and DL, but we feel strongly we’ll see a more varied, complete, and explosive offense. The defense has been forced to cover the entire field. We’re hearing of many more route combinations. The tight ends and running backs are used in the passing game more often. Something tells us we won’t see four verts on 3rd and 5.

We’re also hearing about many more personnel packages.

Linebacker play should be fine: It helps this group tremendously they have such a quality defensive line in front of them. That allows for the linebackers to use their speed to track the ball carrier with minimal conflict on their way to the ball. This is a pretty fast group.

We were pretty high on Jaden Hullaby and Jaylan Ford based on what sources were saying about how they worked and carried themselves. That is carrying over with the pads on. The future is bright at the position even if no other safeties spin down.

Expect the younger guys to see their reps go up this week.

Field corner still undetermined: The biggest battle in camp right now is taking place at field corner. With Josh Thompson injured, the competition is between Jalen Green and Kenyatta Watson. Don’t be surprised if Watson pulls ahead. On top of being a great athlete, he’s very coachable with a workmanlike attitude.

I'm bullish on the Dline being good this year but I still doubt we have turned into Bama on the front already so those OL vs. DL notes aren't great. Zero sum/early practice favors the defense and all that but Hand needs to put together an above average offensive line for us to have the season we want. 

I think it's very like we have a top 5-10 front four in the country, and our starting DL is all upperclassmen.   Not only is it early, but we're breaking in 2 new starters on the OL, and we didn't get the benefit of Spring ball, so the OL is likely to be even more behind than usual. I don't think hearing reports that the DL is dominating is a problem right now. If it's the same exact thing in a few weeks, then it will be time to worry, but this OL is going to take time with some changes in scheme/concept and no spring ball. There probably isn't a position that's hurt more by a lack of Spring ball than the OL. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

I wish you were right but you're not. If the game is played, good luck finding a ticket for face value. If you do and can't attend, DM me and I'll rightfully pay you face value for any/all seats you have.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Wonder what the ticket market will look like for those 12,500 Texas OU tickets. 

They could be free and I wouldn't be there. HD projector screen and a bottle of bourbon. I'll catch it next year when I've got that vaccine coursing through me.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

They could be free and I wouldn't be there. HD projector screen and a bottle of bourbon. I'll catch it next year when I've got that vaccine coursing through me.

Dibs on another one, this time free. I'm a gentleman though so of course, I'll pay for shipping. How many tickets do you have to give? I need 5 but can use up to 8.

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

Mitchell and Overshown right now. Subject to change

I'm fairly certain this is correct. However (Fuck) Chip Brown wrote something recently suggesting Adeoye is the only LB who has a starting spot locked down. So what I'm getting at is that CB has bad sources.

20 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I wish you were right but you're not. If the game is played, good luck finding a ticket for face value. If you do and can't attend, DM me and I'll rightfully pay you face value for any/all seats you have.

If I find one for face value, I'm there too.  It's even easier for me, given all I care about is a single.  

I just don't expect these to fetch 2.5x or 3x face because the allotment has been reduced.

38 minutes ago, Eggo said:

It took me a year and a hefty budget to complete my home theater in June, and I'm not that pressed to get out for the game either.  4K Sony ES Laser on a 123" Seymour acoustic-transparent screen and a beer fridge in the adjacent game room makes it really tempting to stay put.  It'll be more fun to keep hitting the 30-second rewind button every time Spencer Rattler gets pushed around or Bomar'd.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

It took me a year and a $60K budget to complete my home theater in June, and I'm not tempted to get out for the game either.  4K Sony ES Laser on a 123" Seymour acoustic-transparent screen and a beer fridge in the adjacent game room makes it really tempting to stay put.  It'll be more fun to keep hitting the 30-second rewind button every time Spencer Rattler gets pushed around or Bomar'd.

Are you selling tickets to the theater room?  How much if yes?

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I can't fucking wait for Bijan.

Dude outruns one proven starter (Chris Brown) and gains the edge on one potential starter who claimed to have been the fastest player on the team last season (Josh Thompson).  When your freshman RB can outrun and get the edge against upperclassmen DBs, that displays home run potential.  Furthermore, this appears to be 1v2s.  This excites me.

Edited by Hmmm

1 hour ago, Hmmm said:

Dude outruns one proven starter (Chris Brown) and gains the edge on one potential starter who claimed to have been the fastest player on the team last season (Josh Thompson).  When your freshman RB can outrun and get the edge against upperclassmen DBs, that displays home run potential.  Furthermore, this appears to be 1v2s.  This excites me.

.....does it also display home run potential for other teams?

3 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

.....does it also display home run potential for other teams?

To spin it that way, very much so.  mostly because, it appeared to be mostly 1v2s.  but who knows what plays were called.  for all we know, the Coordinators could have put the Defense in a compromising situation.  Stop spiking my kool-aid with depressants.

10 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Sure it was against air, but that second throw was a dart from the far hash.  Glad to see he can spin it that well and hope he can consistently do that.

Edited by Hmmm