2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, hornfromdallas said:

Interesting note today is that because of some of the wide receivers being held out due to some dings and bruises, the offense won the scrimmage being in 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends) nearly the entire time.

5h

Texas football Tom Herman said the offense won the scrimmage, and the defense will run on Tuesday.

Edited by LTtxfan

8 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Jaylan Ford again getting props. Not bad for a guy most of us viewed as an afterthought.  

I don’t think he was an after thought.  Both him and Jadhae Barron were steals.  Rhule and Utah are some of the best evaluators of prospects.  I think most people that watched his film thought he would be a very good fit for us in the Big 12.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don’t think he was an after thought.  Both him and Jadhae Barron were steals.  Rhule and Utah are some of the best evaluators of prospects.  I think most people that watched his film thought he would be a very good fit for us in the Big 12.

I don't know - a lot of the 9.95ers said he was too slow, like a "traditional" ILB. He got similar writeups to Adeoye. If he and the strength staff have unlocked some speed, that's huge.

58 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Jahdae yes. But Jaylan's flip barely moved the needle on this board and I for one am glad he's turning out to be more than meets the eye (assuming this isn't just an indictment in how bad our other LB's are doing). We'll see in the long run though, just wanted to give the kid some props. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Eric Nahlin: Saturday Scrimmage Notes

Today’s scrimmage was short, about 30 snaps for the ones. Quite of few players were held out as well, so today didn’t do much to advance our view of the program.

* The offense did “win” by two points. Who knows how it was scored but the main takeaway is they ran the ball better than they had previously. Reasons for that are twofold: three linebackers were out — Mitchell, Overshown, Dele — and the offense ran more 12 personnel.

* Roschon Johnson was the best running back on the day. He only had one explosive run but was consistently getting downhill quickly. The big three running backs only run behind the first team OL.

* Though there was some running room, the tight ends didn’t block all that great and the young linebackers didn’t play poorly. There is a lot of excitement about Jaylan Ford at Mike and Jaden Hullaby at Will. Ford repped with the ones. I think Cort Jaquess did too but I’m not certain. David Gbenda is the starting Will with Overshown out.

* While the tight ends struggled to block, they were used extensively in the passing game. Part of the reason for the 12 personnel usage was so many receivers were out - Whittington, edit: Washington not Johnson, Lewis, Black, and Woodard. Epps, Wiley, and Brewer all caught passes. (We don’t think any of the WR issues are of great concern — other than Whittington where concern is the default)

* The o-line remains unsettled. Hookfin played some at guard - he repped both sides in case he needs to play for Angilau. Okafor was also at guard some with Christian Jones at tackle. The search for depth continues.

* Vernon Broughton‘s name was mentioned for his pass rush. “He’s surprisingly shifty for his size. A year of S&C and he’ll be even better.”

* Reese Leitao was with the 2nd team at OLB. “He’s been motivated.” Those are words I’ve been waiting to hear for three years.

* Today was the last day of fall camp. Yeah, that was news to me too. The players will have the next couple of days off. We’re still a ways away from the opener.

Like we said, there wasn’t much to learn from today. We’ll check further on injuries. The opener being weeks away is a good thing. I’m about to get my wisdom teeth pulled so it’s goodnight sweet prince for this guy. Y’all enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Jeff Howe: Texas tight ends step up, help offense win second camp scrimmage

After losing the first scrimmage of preseason practice, the Texas offense got even. Head coach Tom Herman said on a Zoom call with reporters following Saturday’s second camp scrimmage that the offense won, meaning the defense will be forced to run when the team gets back on the field Tuesday after two full days off.

The scrimmage lasted only 30-35 plays, but it was one where Herman credited offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich for making the most of what he had available. With several members of the wide receiver room getting “dinged up,” Herman said, with “ankles here and thigh contusions there that have kept them out here and there” in addition to true freshman Troy Omeire going down last weekend with a season-ending knee injury, the offense won the scrimmage by heavily featuring the tight end position.

“We played damn near the whole scrimmage today in 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends) because we're so thin at wideout right now with some bumps and bruises and [stomach issues] and sore throats and all that stuff,” Herman said. “Those guys stepped in and, I mean, Mike had them playing all over the place — outside receiver, inside receiver, tight end, it didn't matter. They didn't miss a beat and the offense actually won the scrimmage, which was encouraging. Our coaches are having to get creative when a position group gets thin and I was really proud of the offense, the tight ends, in particular, today of being able to step in and pick up the flag, so to speak, and still be productive offensively.”

While praising the group led by Cade Brewer with Jared Wiley backing him up and Malcolm Epps working as a flex tight end/jumbo slot receiver throughout camp, Herman was answering a question about how much things have improved for the Longhorns since last weekend’s scrimmage. The defense won the 60-plus-play session due to Chris Ash's unit showing levels of effort and physicality Herman was pleased with and while the head coach liked the effort offensively, the execution was lacking with Yurcich's group suffering from pre-snap penalties while experiencing a few three-and-out drives that helped give the defense the edge.

Things were different on Saturday, in terms of which side of the ball prevailed and how much the Longhorns were able to get things cleaned up.

After lowering the bar from the standpoint knowing the first camp scrimmage (the first in a practice setting Texas had been through since on-campus bowl practices ahead of the Alamo Bowl last December) was probably going to be sloppy, Herman said Saturday’s affair was one where the performance his charges put forth had him “excited about the trajectory based on what I saw today as compared to last week.” "We've definitely gotten better in every phase,” said Herman, noting that the scrimmage overall, “was so much cleaner than last week.”

(Chip Brown) Insider notes: Roschon Johnson shines in second scrimmage

Tom Herman acknowledged the offense win the second scrimmage of fall camp Saturday. So let’s get into the star of the show, according to multiple sources: Running back Roschon Johnson. ”He’s the best running back on the team right now,” one team source told Horns247. “He’s decisive, runs so hard and has great hands.” And file this one away: Watch out for Johnson throwing a pass as a running back this season.

Freshman running back Bijan Robinson sat out of Saturday’s scrimmage for precautionary reasons  because of a tight groin, I’m told. Sources said Sam Ehlinger was rock solid Saturday and indeed connected with tight ends Cade Brewer and “big flex receiver“ Malcolm Epps for big plays. The offensive line, which struggled against the rush of the Texas defensive line in last week’s first scrimmage of fall camp, was much better Saturday, sources said.

The first-team offensive line was Samuel Cosmi at left tackle, Junior Angilau at left guard, Derek Kerstetter at center, Denzel Okafor at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle. The O-line also has success when Isaiah Hookfin came in at right guard and Okafor moved to right tackle, sources said.

Make no mistake, the D-Line made life difficult for the offense again, including another solid performance from sophomore T’Vondre Sweat and freshmen Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton. I was also told D’Shawn Jamison led a solid performance by the entire secondary. While I was told there were no interceptions, Jamison broke up a couple passes to wideouts and had a couple plays behind the line after making good breaks on the ball.

”The secondary across the board is contesting so many more balls and tackling really well,” one team source said. “Fundamentals are really being emphasized by the new coaches, and it shows.” Back to Roschon Johnson for a second: The guy has gotten positive reviews every time I’ve asked team sources, and now it sounds like he’s separating a bit as the first-team guy.

And it’s not just because Keaontay Ingram has struggled off and on with injuries. “It’s because no one runs harder and more decisively than Roschon does,” one team source said. “That guy has put so much work into becoming a better pass catcher, and it’s all paying off. All of his teammates have so much respect for how hard that guy works. He’s all-in all the time.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

7xln2VZh_bigger.jpg    Anwar Richardson    @AnwarRichardson
Texas football Tom Herman said the offense won the scrimmage, and the defense will run on Tuesday.

Now know why Herman said Tuesday...

Nahlin:  " Today (Saturday) was the last day of fall camp. Yeah, that was news to me too. The players will have the next couple of days off. We’re still a ways away from the opener."

Edited by LTtxfan

STAY BY YOUR LONGHORNS ALL SEASON LONG   ( Deadline Aug 31st)

This season, Texas Athletics will release limited edition My Texas Fan Cutouts available for purchase for the 2020 Texas Football season. Upload your favorite photo of yourself, a family member, or pet showing their Longhorns pride, and be a part of the pageantry at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in a new and unique way! The cutouts will be produced and installed in partnership with Ricoh, Texas Athletics’ Official Provider of Workplace Technology.

By purchasing a Fan Cutout, you help supply health and safety resources to over 600 Texas student-athletes, including weekly COVID-19 testing, special health monitoring related to COVID-19, clean masks, and face shields. In addition, proceeds from Fan Cutouts provide newly necessary initiatives to support student-athlete success at Texas, such as virtual tutoring, grab n’ go meals, on-campus hand sanitization stations, and assistance with digital course books and learning resources.

PURCHASE

GET YOUR CUTOUT HERE FOR JUST $50*!.

• No photo necessary yet – you’ll only need your payment information
  • All purchasers will be prompted to read and accept Texas Athletics’ Legal Consent, Assignment, and Release from
  • Be on the lookout for two separate emails once you’ve completed your purchase
    • Confirmation email from: Keep this handy. You’ll need your customer number later
    • Photo submission email form: You’ll need this in your next steps

All orders placed and approved on or before Monday, Aug. 31 will be installed in DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium prior to the first home game.

*Orders will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last.

Edited by LTtxfan