2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Well done Jerrin Thompson! First in the class

Related to Jerrin's Stripe-Off

Bobby Burton....     Wednesday August 26th

Last night, I asked the entire Horns247 staff if any of them had Lufkin safety Jerrin Thompson becoming the first true freshman to ceremoniously have the strip removed from his helmet.

No one replied.

Yet that’s exactly what happened yesterday.

The helmet stripe for Tom Herman and his staff signifies that a play is ready to take the next step in his development. He’s no longer just a young pup.

And that takes me back to the very first one I remember Herman doing this with, and that’s Derek Kerstetter.

Kerstetter, as a recruit, was similar to Thompson. He was well regarded but there were other prospects in the state much more highly rated.

But as we’ve come to see with recruiting, it’s not all about talent. It’s more about how you apply the talent you are given.

If Thompson can be a factor like Kerstetter has been during his career on the 40, then Texas will have gotten another pleasant surprise in recruiting. And that’s becoming commonplace with Herman.

So what does this say about Thompson’s standing on the depth chart?

We don’t know quite yet.

But I’d suspect it draws the attention of someone like Tyler Owens Immediately and perhaps Montrell Estell down the road.

No one from the entire Horns247 Staff replied to poor Bobby Burton...  😂

As always -- FCB !!!

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1h

Celebrating our Longhorn pups today! RT this post and comment with a picture of your pup for a chance to have them photoshopped onto our new videoboard! #NationalDogDay

A cute dog in a Texas Longhorns jersey is photoshopped onto the brand new videoboard in the South Endzone construction. The Longhorn silhouette is clear in the seating section.

iy6uXqiD_bigger.jpg    Fancy Boots    @TexasFancyBoots

Replying to     @TexasLonghorns

Toro and Zora would love it!

EgXmJs9XgAAEpkp?format=jpg&name=large

EgXmJs9XoAAa9bD?format=jpg&name=large 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Omg it's almost football season

*Easter egg: at :45 you can catch a piece of training gear that still has a Rutgers R on it

Bijan shedding a hard tackle @1:35 like it's nothing.  Looks like it's against Adimora but hard to tell.

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well crud.  Okafor to RG and Jones to RT I guess?.  Depth getting thin.

Not sure, but on similar question about OL, FCB posted this...

"With Hookfin out the next couple weeks, Tope Imade would be the next man up at guard if Okafor and Jones were your starters. Tyler Johnson, who missed time with an upper respiratory infection, would likely be the backup to Jones at RT at this point. Reese Moore got most of the second-team RT reps when Johnson was out."

FCB also wrote in article (below) the following:

"Texas redshirt freshman OL Isaiah Hookfin sustained a shoulder injury in practice on Tuesday. He is continuing to be evaluated as he rehabs the injury, but is expected to be back in time for the Longhorns’ season opener on Sept. 12 versus UTEP."

I'm told the first-team offensive line in last Saturday's second scrimmage of fall camp was Samuel Cosmi at left tackle, Junior Angilau at left guard, Derek Kerstetter at center, Okafor at right guard and Jones at right tackle. Hookfin then rotated in at right guard, and Okafor moved to right tackle. Hookfin has also worked at left guard as a potential backup to Angilau.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/board/21/Contents/source-texas-ol-isaiah-hookfin-suffers-shoulder-injury-150732462/

Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

How many years have we been saying this about the OL? 

That's pretty much any team. Most teams have about 7 to 8 guys they really trust and consider quality depth. 

Just see OU last year with a couple guys banged up (Ealy and Swenson). They were awful without a couple of those guys and OU has arguably the top OL coach in the country and consistently produces top tier offensive lines. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well crud.  Okafor to RG and Jones to RT I guess?.  Depth getting thin.

Sounds like he should be back by UTEP but I don't think this causes any shift in the starting 5. Sounds like they've been using Hookfin at RG and LG. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The disappearance of Tyler Johnson is bizarre. He's not even in the mix for the two open spots on the right side.

His high school offense pretty much involved no pass blocking, so he might be taking a while to learn it, especially if he missed a couple of weeks of fall with an illness.

He's a redshirt freshman lineman, they often have really long development arcs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

His high school offense pretty much involved no pass blocking, so he might be taking a while to learn it, especially if he missed a couple of weeks of fall with an illness.

He's a redshirt freshman lineman, they often have really long development arcs.

And he's been sick it looks like.  Our fanbase for some reason decides to write off OL if we don't see them contribute right off the bat.  Johnson has great size for a guard and is athletic.  Let's give him some time.  We don't exactly need him right away either.  

• Hook 'Em 1

(Chip Brown) The Insider: Texas two-deep starting to take shape

TWO-DEEP STARTING TO TAKE SHAPE

In Tom Herman’s world, the second scrimmage of fall camp is the equivalent of what used to be the all-important third preseason game in the NFL. In that second scrimmage of fall camp, you’re still far enough away from the regular season that you put your veterans through their most rugged preseason test and then scale it back from there until the season opener. The third scrimmage of fall camp - this Saturday - is usually a showcase for backups and young players.

I'm told this Saturday's scrimmage will probably end up looking more like a normal practice as coaches start to scale back the hitting two weeks from the start of the season. So after last Saturday’s all-important second scrimmage of fall camp, here’s what the two-deep is starting to look like based on conversations with multiple team sources:

QUARTERBACK

Starter: Sam Ehlinger

Backup: Casey Thompson

Ehlinger, off the charts as a leader, has been solid all of camp and is bonding with new offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich in a way that gets the rest of the team excited. The real drama has been in the battle to back up Ehlinger, where Thompson is trying to hold off freshman Hudson Card, who is getting comparisons to Shane Buechele for his preparedness and knowledge of the offense as a first-year player. So far, Thompson has held off Card by making more off-schedule plays with his feet in fall camp against a pass rush from the Texas defense that also has coaches excited.

RUNNING BACK

Starter: Roschon Johnson

Backup: Keaontay Ingram/Bijan Robinson

Johnson has had the best camp, by far, of the running backs, and not just because he’s been healthy and made every practice while Ingram (hamstring, upper respiratory infection) and freshman Bijan Robinson (tight groin) have missed time. At 6-foot-2 and 227 pounds, Johnson takes care of the details well, including blitz pickup. It was during a blitz pickup drill that Johnson got under the pads of middle linebacker Ayodele Adeoye, who landed awkwardly on his shoulder, resulting in an injury that will likely keep Adeoye out until the opener against UTEP on Sept. 12.

Johnson has put in extra time working on his receiving skills and is now as much of a threat catching the ball as he is running it. And when it comes to running it, even as a former quarterback, Johnson has always had the innate knack of being a one-cut guy - seeing the crease, planting his foot in the ground and getting north and south. Depending on who you ask, Robinson has had a better fall camp than Ingram (again, primarily, because Ingram has been in and out of availability).

Ehlinger said he loves turning around and watching Robinson work after handing him the ball, because the freshman is so smooth while also having the ability to make guys miss. Robinson will play - a lot - starting with the opener. And - as first reported by Horns247 on Wednesday - Texas is also adding Gabriel Watson (6-foot-1, 220 pounds), the 2018 Division II rushing champion at Sioux Falls (269 carries for 1,957 yards, 26 TDs), as a grad transfer after senior Daniel Young opted out of the 2020 season due to concerns over COVID-19.

RECEIVER

Starters: Tarik Black (X), Jake Smith (slot), Joshua Moore (Z)

Backups: Brennan Eagles (X), Jordan Whittington (slot), Marcus Washington/Kelvontay Dixon (Z)

Smith has probably had the best camp of any of the receivers, followed by Black, multiple team sources told Horns247. Eagles has been up and down. There’s still time for Eagles to show he’s the man at the X receiver, replacing Collin Johnson. Coaches would love for that time to be right now. Moore has a field awareness and football IQ that sets him apart from Washington and Dixon at this point. But everyone should watch out for the freshman Dixon. Until enduring a sprained ankle last week that will keep him out at least another week, the elusive Dixon was wowing teammates and coaches with his yards after catch.

One source compared Dixon to “a more team-oriented version of Reggie Hemphill-Mapps.” For those who remember, in 2017, Hemphill-Mapps showed signs of being a real playmaker for Texas with his speed and wiggle (37 catches, 402 yards and a 91-yard kickoff return for a TD) before transferring out of the program (first to Trinity Valley CC, then to Southern Missouri State).

This is a position that still has good battles going on and could see some of the backups becoming starters, I'm told. I’m also told to keep an eye on a possible graduate transfer coming in at receiver.

TIGHT END

Starter: Cade Brewer

Backup: Jared Wiley/Malcolm Epps

Brewer is the man and had a nice scrimmage last Saturday with a couple clutch catches. (So did Epps for that matter.) It’s ridiculous how underutilized Brewer has been. The guy is one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the Big 12 - if he’d ever get thrown the ball. We’ll see if Yurcich sees the value of Brewer, who is also, by far, the best blocking tight end on the team. One team source said Epps “is still struggling with blocking, and Wiley blocks the right defender, but blocks like a quarterback.” Brayden Liebrock is fourth on the depth chart at this point.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Starters: Left tackle Samuel Cosmi, left guard Junior Angilau, center Derek Kerstetter, right guard Denzel Okafor, right tackle Christian Jones

Backups: Left tackle Tyler Johnson, left guard Tope Imade, center Jake Majors, right guard Isaiah Hookfin, right tackle Denzel Okafor/Reese Moore

Hookfin, a redshirt freshman, had been competing for the starting right guard spot in fall camp until suffering a shoulder injury that will keep him sidelined at least a couple weeks, a source close to the situation told Horns247. Hookfin's shoulder injury could also require surgery after the season, one source said. Hookfin (6-5, 314) has been in a heated camp battle with the fifth-year senior Okafor and sophomore Christian Jones for the vacant starting spots on the Texas offensive line. Hookfin and Okafor have rotated at right guard, while Okafor and Jones have rotated at right tackle.

The other story to watch on the O-line is the rise of Majors, who has surpassed last year’s backup center Rafiti Ghirmai in the minds of most of the sources I spoke with this week. If Majors can continue to improve the way he has been, it would give the line more flexibility in how it uses Kerstetter, who has played every position on the line and is arguably the position group’s most valuable player as a result.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Starters: SDE Moro Ojomo, DT Ta'Quon Graham, NT Keondre Coburn, Jack/OLB Joseph Ossai

Backups: SDE Jacoby Jones/Vernon Broughton, DT Alfred Collins, NT T'Vondre Sweat, Jack/OLB Reese Leitao

This group has the whole team excited. It’s been the most disruptive group on the team and dominated the first scrimmage of fall camp, giving the defense its first victory over the offense in a scrimmage since 2018. Broughton, Collins and Sweat are the real deal and would be starting at most schools. Leitao has been the most pleasant surprise since moving from tight end. Behind Leitao, walk-on Jett Bush has also been a pleasant surprise at Jack, followed by Prince Dorbah.

LINEBACKER

Starters: Middle Juwan Mitchell, weakside DeMarvion Overshown

Backups: Middle Ayodele Adeoye, weakside Jaylan Ford/David Gbenda

Adeoye was running first-team in the middle until he suffered a shoulder injury after being blown up by Roschon Johnson in a blitz pickup drill. Adeoye will be out until the opener against UTEP on Sept. 12, so Mitchell is the man in the middle now. Cort Jacquess, who had five tackles in the first half of the Alamo Bowl, before being replaced by Mitchell, provides quality depth at middle linebacker.

Overshown was light after missing the team’s voluntary workouts in June. But he’s gotten himself into shape and is making the most plays at weakside. Ford is coming on. I was told, “Ford may not start right away. But he’s going to be a starter here soon. His football IQ is a little ahead of Gbenda, who is incredibly athletic but is still thinking too much, at times.” Marcus Tillman Jr. is still working himself back into game shape after recovering from a season-ending knee injury.

NICKEL/SPUR

Starter: Chris Adimora

Backup: Anthony Cook

Adimora has quietly had one of the best camps of anyone on defense, according to sources. “This kid is gonna be really good,” said one team source. “He just makes plays.” Cook is engaged and seems hungry, sources said, after Cook entered the transfer portal, packed up and left campus and then decided to return. Xavion Alford and Marques Caldwell have also had good camps competing at Spur.

SAFETY

Starters: FS Caden Sterns, SS Chris Brown

Backups: FS Montrell Estell/Tyler Owens, SS B.J. Foster

Sterns and Brown have run first-team all camp. It seems at this point that they’re a lock. Sterns, when healthy, is an All-American-type player. He showed that as a freshman. Brown, in addition to being one of the most physical players on the team, is also one of the best leaders on defense. Pretty incredible that we’re talking about Foster as a backup. Talk about quality depth. Estell has had a better camp than Owens, who is still thinking too much, according to sources.

“The game has slowed down for Estell,” one team source. “The game needs to slow down for Owens.” Safety Jerrin Thompson was the first freshman to have his rookie stripe taken off. I’m told the kid has just done everything right in terms of work ethic and attitude.

CORNERBACK

Starters: LCB Josh Thompson, RCB D'Shawn Jamison

Backups: LCB Kenyatta Watson, RCB Jalen Green

I keep hearing from sources that Thompson maintains a slim edge at left cornerback ahead of Kenyatta Watson, but it’s still a heck of a battle that could carry into the season. Watson has had a good camp. Thompson has just had a slightly better camp, I’m told. Jamison and Green have been trying to one-up the other at right cornerback in good, healthy competition.

One team source told me, “These battles at corner have been among the best to watch in camp. Everyone is pushing each other, making each other better. It’s exactly what you want.” Freshmen Jahdae Barron and Kitan Crawford have both made big-time plays in camp with Barron having the better camp. I’ve been told several times Barron is going to be a big-time player at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Only 4 OL on the team have taken a meaningful snap at Texas lol 

Our starting five didn't get many injuries and one of them graduated soooo...

I guess if we had more garbage time kinds of games there'd be more experience, but would it really be "meaningful"?

• Like 1

With the standard cautions about player health, I'm allowing myself a little excitement about college football. The Fall Camp thread feels like a siren call that will leave me shattered on the rocks, but I pull my oar with increasing confidence.

Thanks for the reports and good conversation. 

At TE, I suppose the controversial recruit we took has moved on? Unusual name that I just can't pull from memory.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

With the standard cautions about player health, I'm allowing myself a little excitement about college football. The Fall Camp thread feels like a siren call that will leave me shattered on the rocks, but I pull my oar with increasing confidence.

Thanks for the reports and good conversation. 

At TE, I suppose the controversial recruit we took has moved on? Unusual name that I just can't pull from memory.

Reese Leitao. He's a backup DE now.

34 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Only 4 OL on the team have taken a meaningful snap at Texas lol 

I get you're one of the biggest idiots on the board but you do realize Texas is returning a lot of production on the OL compared to other teams right? 

Outside of OU we probably have the most experienced OL in the Big 12. Especially after Oklahoma State lost a couple starters via transfer this offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

The disappearance of Tyler Johnson is bizarre. He's not even in the mix for the two open spots on the right side.

Ideally you want OL to disappear for a couple years, that’s what happens in healthy programs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sounds like he should be back by UTEP but I don't think this causes any shift in the starting 5. Sounds like they've been using Hookfin at RG and LG. 

I'm good with Hookfin not playing until B12 conference games start...

Get Healthy Hook!!

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

And he's been sick it looks like.  Our fanbase for some reason decides to write off OL if we don't see them contribute right off the bat.  Johnson has great size for a guard and is athletic.  Let's give him some time.  We don't exactly need him right away either.  

Just OL??

• Haha 1