2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

On 8/17/2020 at 10:46 AM, Gravy Train said:

Probably cheaper than one would expect.  

State Fair will be shut down, no beer sales, no food, tailgates and assemblies discouraged, no Fairgrounds pregame shows and the DART might not be running express routes to Fair Park.

I will be watching at home while I grill on my new Rec Tec with a few people over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

I’m so in for the shit show this is going to be

It may be, but it doesn’t have to be. I’ve worked in my office every day and seen more than a hundred clients face to face since this all started. None of us has gotten sick. The challenge is to not do stupid stuff. But I know it’s hard to expect college students (and coaches) to not do stupid stuff. 

Eric Nahlin: Wednesday Team Notes

Wednesday is an off day, other than walk throughs, but we’ll catch up on the last couple practices. Josh Thompson returned on Monday and has looked really good the last two days. He was the best corner, in fact. He’s still playing to the field with D’Shawn Jamison in the boundary. The scheme fits Thompson as he can use his size and speed to his advantage. Keep it up, JT9.

The third corner is probably Kenyatta Watson at this point. Also returning from missing a few days was Keaontay Ingram. I don’t think it was mentioned he was out, but he was and now he’s back. “He’s still the best running back when healthy, then Roschon, then Bijan. The other two have proven ability but everybody wants to see what Bijan can do in-game.”

I asked who the best tackle is other than Sam Cosmi. “It is Okafor. He’s leaner and quicker, but I’m not saying he’s lean and quick. His footwork has improved and he’s holding his own on the edge better than before.“ What about behind him? “Christian Jones. I think his future is bright, he just needs to keep improving his footwork and steps. Technique is still a little rough.”

In the absence of Marqez Bimage, Jacoby Jones and Moro Ojomo are having a spirited competition. This is playing out to type — Jones is the better pass rusher, Ojomo is better versus the run. Jones has shed the weight he was carrying to play out of position, while Ojomo has more of an ‘interior’ body that was naturally better suited for 4i. Jones has flashed in a handful of practices as well as the scrimmage.

The staff is working on 3rd and long defensive line fronts that moves Ojomo inside next to Ta’Quon Graham and keeps Joseph Ossai and Jones as the ends. Like Ojomo, Vernon Broughton also moves inside in this scenario. He’s next to Alfred Collins. Glimpse of the future, imo. Both DeMarvion Overshown and Juwan Mitchell were out recently. I think Juwan missed for precautionary reasons from his head/stinger (not sure what it was exactly) issue on Saturday. That brought in Dele Adeoye and David Gbenda. Mitchell and Overshown need to be on the field for extended periods this season for the team to reach its goals.

Quiet camps: Ossai, Chris Adimora, and the safeties. We just haven’t been hearing much. That’s a good thing on Adimora and the safeties and I’m not worried one bit on Ossai. These players are just curious by their absence in our reports. I’ll make a point to ask about them.

• Hook 'Em 2

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

Even with the news of Marqez Bimage opting not to play this season in a move that some are calling a “strategic” redshirt, the defensive line should still be a team strength. However, I am told linebacker remains the primary area of concern for the Texas defense. No true linebackers have stepped up and separated from the group, at least not yet. I’m told it’s not from a lack of effort. I think it’s too early to say that Texas will have a pedestrian LB corps. But a playmaker needs to step up. Freshman Jaylan Ford may be that type of player but also may be a year away from making an impact.

Meanwhile, I am told the secondary needs to create and capitalize on more interception opportunities but otherwise has been solid with very few assignment busts considering the new defense being put in place. Jalen Green continues to play well. A lot of Chris Adimora is being asked, but I am told he is responding reasonably well.

The loss of Bimage is somewhat mitigated by the arrival of Alfred Collins. Collins has already shown the ability to earn reps with the ones as a true freshman. He won’t be a starter but should be in a rotation that Oscar Giles utilizes. Something to keep in mind with Collins. He has never focused on football for an entire year. He has always played basketball, too. So his body will undergo a major transformation over the next couple of years, one that should be additive to his already immense talent. The word on the 40 Acres is that Collins has a chance to be as good as he wants to be. Not often you can say that about a player.

The commitment of Quinn Ewers and decommitment of Jalen Milroe brought the future of the QB situation at Texas to the forefront in the last week. I continue to be told that Hudson Card has a little something special to him. Multiple sources say he needs to add good weight, somewhat like Colt McCoy had to over his time at Texas. But it is clear that Card, if healthy, is going to be a player at Texas. I expect Card to give Casey Thompson a run for his money as the starter next season, although Chip Brown reported earlier this week that coaches are encouraged by Thompson’s progress throwing the ball of late.

The two newest players to have their stripes removed are both walk-on offensive linemen. They are both redshirt freshman. Chad Wolf played at Lake Travis while Michael Balis is a Plano West product. I continue to believe that adding depth through a strong walk-on program can be a major benefit for Texas in the long run. It provides better scout teams and every so often a real player will emerge who was simply a late bloomer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, fellside said:

He's suggesting Jalen Green is the fourth best corner on the team?

Further in the thread Nahlin implies it's more mental: 

Spoiler
Is the fact that Jalen Green is potentially going to start the season as corner #4 a sign that we have strong depth at the position, or is it an indicator that his play has fallen off?

He needs to be more coachable.

I will leave it there.

Maybe a disconnect with new staff. I also thought Green was supposed to be a pretty elite athlete but maybe that was just in relation to Cook.

From Athlon - via Ian Boyd:

Every year Athlon has a fun running gimmick where they get a few coaches in every league to comment anonymously on the other teams around the Big 12. They're a little tamer this year than in some past seasons, but I suppose we can have grace for that given the turbulence of the 2020 calendar year.

Here's the link:

athlonsports.com

Big 12 Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2020

Its not easy getting college football coaches to honestly comment on another coach, player or team. Most coaches dont want to give opposing teams...
athlonsports.com athlonsports.com

Some of the more interesting nuggets

-No one's buying Baylor
. Their losses across the defensive front, the new schemes and coaches that have to work things out in Waco, and then the health of Charlie Brewer all come up. Interestingly enough, I just saw a quote from Larry Fedora at a press conference about the offense being about as far along in fall camp as they'd expect to be after multiple spring practices and how that was leading to a re-evaluation of their practice plans.

All the signs are there to be read that the Bears are up against it in year one with their new head coach.

-Everyone knows what's up with Iowa State. Their losses a year ago were close and everyone has clear respect for pump fake Purdy, Iowa State's tight ends, the linebacker corps and teaching up front, and then also what could be possible this year if safety Greg Eisworth is healthier.

Ultimately the 2020 Iowa State season comes down to whether or not they're ready to replace the athleticism they had in their space force in 2018 when Hakeem Butler, Brian Peavy, and JaQuan Bailey were all active participants. The infrastructure is a lot stronger now that Purdy is a third year player and their tight ends have really come along. They can hold their own and even dominate in the middle of the field so how will they fare on the edge?

-Different coach, same style with Kansas State. Most of the comments about Kansas State are the sorts of comments you'd typically get about Bill Snyder teams. Things along the lines of, "I mean, I don't know what we were expecting, they're always really sound and situationally strong and some of their players are really good." It's almost like Bill Snyder came back.

The precision and skill in the Kansas State pass defense is a wildly underrated component to the 2020 season thus far. I'm not sure there's another pass defense in the Big 12 that you should pick above this one in a hypothetical draft.

-No one was taking too much from Oklahoma's blowout defeat to LSU. I took a lot from that game, as LSU stressed various points in the Oklahoma scheme that I thought should have received more attention from their Big 12 opponents all year. The coaches who comment here mostly hand waived it away as a historic team pounding a squad depleted to a point of impotence by injuries and suspensions.

I remain skeptical that Alex Grinch's pressuring system is going to hold up favorably without adjustment against aggressive spread passing, but at this point perhaps personnel is the bigger concern for that side of the ball. Everyone acknowledges we're still in wait and see mode with the defense, but Lincoln Riley has rightfully earned the benefit of the doubt.

-No one is looking forward to defending Oklahoma State. Fair enough. Their quarterback is both the strongest-armed and fastest runner in the league, their running back is the most explosive in the league, and their top wide receiver is the best in the league. Sure they just lost some offensive linemen and the defense isn't totally there, but do you want to deal with all that athleticism in a Mike Gundy offense? Healthy respect seems to be the consensus.

-TCU's infrastructure still looks shaky to everyone. While Max Duggan gets some acclaim in these comments, justifiably so, there are also some comments about how the program doesn't seem to have it together within their offensive infrastructure. The system, quarterback play, and offensive line have all been iffy of late and it doesn't sound like anyone is too concerned about it coming together in 2020.

In particular they mention Duggan's inconsistency, while forgivable from a freshman, may not be shored up if a rebuilt offensive line can't come together. And as will soon be a story for multiple teams, getting a young O-line together without a bowl practice or spring practice is not an easy task.

-A large amount of excuse-making for Texas. The comments on the 2019 Longhorns center around them being young and ultimately too banged up in the secondary to really make good on the overly (per these sources) high expectations for the program. For 2020 everyone respects Sam Ehlinger and the talent and is simply waiting to see if Texas will finally bring it to bear on the playing field or not.

There's a few comments on the Texas defensive line, which from what I see of offseason banter around the league's fanbases, is perhaps the most underrated unit in the league heading into 2020. Keondre Coburn and Joseph Ossai are the big, obvious names. Texas also has a handful of both seniors and underclassmen supporting those two with a lot of talent.

-Deserved and undeserved praise for Neal Brown and Matt Wells. You'll notice that coaches are generally much more sympathetic to each others' contexts than fans or writers tend to be. "Well sure Oklahoma had their doors blown off by LSU, but they had some injuries." "Yeah Texas underachieved, but did they really? I mean they were young and injured after all..."

They praise Matt Wells and his staff as being fairly creative and project that 2020 will boil down to the health of Alan Bowman. That seems obvious enough, but there was also a note on how Keith Patterson was risky and aggressive and would dial things up in the red zone. When you're getting aggressive and taking risks on defense in the Big 12 that's generally because you have no clue how to stop people and are just hoping you can get lucky with an aggressive call and make a game-changing play.

Meanwhile Neal Brown is described favorably for getting buy-in from that team and developing an identity for them on both sides of the ball. One of these two schools hit a home run with their offseason hire and I'll let you guess which is which.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/College-football-2020-season-top-players-best-player-ranking--150423080/#150423080_1

17. Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas

Thirty-three starts into his career, Ehlinger is one of the most decorated QBs in the country. In fact, his career total of 10,400 yards leads all active FBS players. Ehlinger had a special 2018 season in which he totaled 40 touchdowns against just five interceptions, while throwing for 3,292 yards and completing 64.7 percent of his passes. He became only the sixth Power Five QB the last 20 years to throw for 25 touchdowns and rush for 15. The others won a Heisman. Ehlinger came back down to earth some last season, as did Texas. But you could argue no quarterback is responsible for creating more of his team’s offense than Ehlinger, who is both top-tier QB and pseudo-running back.

10. Sam Cosmi, OT, Texas

Cosmi has been excellent in his career thus far, emerging as Texas’ best offensive tackle prospect in a decade. The 6-foot-7, 309-pound redshirt junior played a big part last season in keeping quarterback Sam Ehlinger healthy – few QBs are asked to run more – allowing just a single sack across 595 pass blocking snaps, per PFF College. Picking the nation’s second best tackle behind Sewell is tough right now. But Cosmi has all the tools to emerge as a top 15 pick in 2021.

I am also surprised with Jalen Green.  I think it was his first year here when Herman said something like we gotta play him now because we don't expect to have him all four years.  Previously, he was touted as the best lock down corner - one you can put on an island and forget about.

2 hours ago, Wayne said:

Jeff Howe was asked this on 247 and said no, it does not open up a scholarship spot. 

That contrasts what Wescott Eberts said.  "With the three players opting out, Texas will have 80 scholarship players available for the 2020 season, including five former walk ons."