2020/2021 Hunting Thread

Both Tacos

I am going to shoot a pig or doe right at daybreak Saturday morning, throw some ribs on the smoker and watch Texas beat wvu. Then go out Saturday night pig hunting. I will wait till full rut to go after a buck if at all. Doe are running amok due to the neighbors I think. I need another 300 acres or so.  I still will be like a kid in the candy store. Nothing like opening day.

Edited by HOOKEM4
fuck ou
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

So a week ago the weather forecast for opening weekend was Friday night low of 30s and high around high 50s... now it’s gonna be a high of mid70s and the low will maybe be high 60s.

Crazy.

Gonna be warm out there between hunts.

Still hyped for Saturday sunrise

Same for us. We may get the pool out Sunday afternoon.

I have someone who asked me how much to do a meat hunt off my place.

We're 19 acres, neighbor to the S of us is an identical shape... there is a high fence behind us but it's not causing much trouble as there's low fencing all over the place.  The neighbor has shown me what appears to be a 5 to 6 year old 8 pointer, good spread.

I had a friend from Scouting come out & he took an 8 pointer around 5 years ago.  We're not hurting.

I haven't been running a feeder for a few years, so this would be a totally "natural / whatever you stumble across (or stumbles across YOU)" type deal.

Pics from aerials / drone I took just today (got a used Mavic Air & am learning it... a good place to practice is here).  We're a door stop / pizza slice shape; it's been a few years but [mention=40]TexasEd[/mention] has been out a few years back.

image.thumb.png.5c41ff33bb505f96e6c0cd12e1af02f4.png

This last pic shows what the terrain is like from an overhead... not that you couldn't get that from the 1st pic, but... whatevs.  The yellow in pic 1 is my guesstimation on where the back high fence is; I think that's close to 450 acres.  Plenty of movement through our place.
image.thumb.png.a2a38f3be42fee9a18813faa3b20a26d.png

image.thumb.png.16c01001f8d807db48cfe6b4b29503a9.png

My question(s) here are...

1.  What's a reasonable amount to charge, especially when I'm not setting a gimme like a feeder?
2.  If I charge more than a case of beer, am I supposed* to register with the State?
3.  If you do register, I assume there's some sort of log book I have to keep, even if it's just 1 person paying (even though a nominal fee)?

54 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

1.  What's a reasonable amount to charge, especially when I'm not setting a gimme like a feeder?
2.  If I charge more than a case of beer, am I supposed* to register with the State?
3.  If you do register, I assume there's some sort of log book I have to keep, even if it's just 1 person paying (even though a nominal fee)?

Yes, you have to register as a lease if you charge.  Looks like it is $79.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_lf_l2000_0850_hunting_lease_info.pdf

More info: https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2017/09/05/landowners-leasing-property-hunting-required-obtain-license-state/#:~:text=Under Texas law%2C a landowner,Wildlife (“TPW”).&text=For small cooperatives (less than,plus %245 per participating landowner.

Licenses must be “displayed on the hunting lease.”  This can be done a number of ways, including giving a copy of hunters to carry with them, the landowner keeping a copy to produce on request, posting on a fence post, gate, or leaving a copy at a bunkhouse or lodge.  So long as the license can be produced upon request of the Game Warden, this requirement is met.

According to a couple Game Wardens I have visited with, this rule has been on the books for years, but has often not been strictly enforced.  However, game wardens across the state have been reminded of this rule and will likely be checking to determine if landowner lease licenses have properly been obtained this fall.  Penalties for failing to comply with this requirement can include a Class C misdemeanor conviction and up to a $500 fine.

For more information, click here or contact your local game warden.  The statutory language providing for this requirement may be found in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code Section 43.041 – 43.055.

If you don't charge you don't have to do that.  Might want a waiver though.

Edited by TexasEd

6 hours ago, TexasEd said:

If you don't charge you don't have to do that.  Might want a waiver though.

Read up on the Texas Agritourism act with regards to landowner liability during hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities.  All  @ROFL BOX needs to do is to post the appropriate verbiage on a sign at the gate.  If youth are involved, might want to actually have a signed waiver in addition.

https://agrilife.org/texasaglaw/2016/02/01/texas-agritourism-act/

I wouldn't really even bother with the lease  and charging for a one time thing.  

texaschapter-75-agritourism-sgin-k2-1017

Edited by davidg

We have those signs posted at the ranch we hunt.   The LO’s also have us sign all sorts of liability releases many of which say our estates / heirs can’t sue them and release the LO’s from liability.  

Surly perros abagados weigh in:  Can an individual sign away someone else’s rights to bring suit?  

7 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I would have them sign a waiver of liability, tell them you don’t charge *wink wink*, then see what kind of a Christmas gift they give you. If they stiff you, unfriend them. 

And take a pic of them posing with the davidg’s sign. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

As soon as you charge, you have all kinds of liability open up.

That agritourism act provides the landowner some limited liability coverage even if you charge.  If you charge, then you need to follow the TPWD license and documentation requirements.   There are exceptions to the liability provided by the act and are listed at the bottom of that article.

Edited by davidg

That agritourism act provides the landowner some limited liability coverage even if you charge.  If you charge, then you need to follow the TPWD license and documentation requirements.   There are exceptions to the liability provided by the act and are listed at the bottom of that article.

"some limited liability coverage" is the key here. Anyone at anytime can be sued and when you charge for a service, it leaves you open for professional liability. I ran a duck club for 5 years and this was one of my biggest concerns, even with releases signed and insurance in place.

10 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have someone who asked me how much to do a meat hunt off my place.

We're 19 acres, neighbor to the S of us is an identical shape... there is a high fence behind us but it's not causing much trouble as there's low fencing all over the place.  The neighbor has shown me what appears to be a 5 to 6 year old 8 pointer, good spread.

I had a friend from Scouting come out & he took an 8 pointer around 5 years ago.  We're not hurting.

I haven't been running a feeder for a few years, so this would be a totally "natural / whatever you stumble across (or stumbles across YOU)" type deal.

Pics from aerials / drone I took just today (got a used Mavic Air & am learning it... a good place to practice is here).  We're a door stop / pizza slice shape; it's been a few years but [mention=40]TexasEd[/mention] has been out a few years back.

image.thumb.png.5c41ff33bb505f96e6c0cd12e1af02f4.png

This last pic shows what the terrain is like from an overhead... not that you couldn't get that from the 1st pic, but... whatevs.  The yellow in pic 1 is my guesstimation on where the back high fence is; I think that's close to 450 acres.  Plenty of movement through our place.
image.thumb.png.a2a38f3be42fee9a18813faa3b20a26d.png

image.thumb.png.16c01001f8d807db48cfe6b4b29503a9.png

We lease to a party of hunters.  Have been for years now.  Do have to register, so include that in the price you are charging them.  Always pass through to the hunters any charges you are incurring for having them.  The justification is easy enough to explain.  Waivers are nice, but not really going to protect you much in civil court, so pick your people carefully.  

Also, let your warden know.  Always keep them looped in, just in case and get his take on the proper steps.  A good warden is priceless so do your best to keep them informed and up to date on all activities.  Keeping a log book is always a good idea, for friends and your own party.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

Cross posted from the fishing thread as I had to "fish" this fucker out of the water.  Buddy made the bow shot and I helped him get it out of the water.  Jesus it was cold, but we were amped up and scared he'd sink.  

We both helped, but I actually swam out to attach the line to winch him out.  It was like a Bear Gryllis moment as I stripped down and waded out in that cold ass water.  No truck with a heater waiting.  Just had to get dressed again as best we could.  Hell of a fun story we laugh about all the time.  

Deer water.JPEG

Deer water2.JPEG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

When my Mom's two younger brothers were in their teens, the youngest shot a buck that ran and jumped into a large lake in the freezing cold. He asked his older brother, "how are we gonna get him out?" The older one said "what do you mean we?"

CHIEF

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

When my Mom's two younger brothers were in their teens, the youngest shot a buck that ran and jumped into a large lake in the freezing cold. He asked his older brother, "how are we gonna get him out?" The older one said "what do you mean we?"

CHIEF

Sounds like the lyrics to a Michael Martin Murphy song!

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Could you finish the story in Jerry Clower’s voice, please?  

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure I identified that 6 in the 3rd pic, two years ago we used to call him “Corn Likker” because he consistently was on camera standing on his hind legs banging the feeder.  He was a stretched out crab claw six then with barely any brow tines, probably 2 or 3 years at the time.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Thats a nice hill country buck there @Judge Roybeanbag

I'm be on the lookout for this one tomorrow. 

Not close to some of the monsters that are posted here, but one of the better ones I have pulled off the cam this year. 

PICT6368-H-202011042305j-B0-Py.jpg

To be honest there’s a giant bodied 5 point we’ll try to shoot this year, along with one doe, and I’ll probably let those other big guys skate another year.  Maybe I might take that longhorn freak just because he’s an asshole.   None of the other big ones are old enough yet to where I wouldn’t like to let them breed another year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7095c7a811900b8788bca37843fcfc71.jpg
Little brother (26) first time hunting. Never showed any interest at all when we were growing up. This year he called dad and asked if he could join us. I’m working this weekend so I told him to hunt my spot. First light this morning he popped this guy from 291 yards.

Dad took this old man that we’ve watched for a couples years now and he’s consistently stayed at 6 points so it was time for him to go
abc30f9a5cc98b30064f510789db62e5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Had a bluebird try to join us in the blind. The boy just put down a doe, so meat in the freezer. Good day so far.

She didn’t give him much of a window to shoot - rifle raised to shot was maybe 3 seconds. He hit her a bit low, but that made it a clean heart shot. She went maybe 40 yards and dropped cold. A decent doe.

We’ll hunt again this evening. Won’t pass up a trophy buck (there’s a 12 point out here), but probably another doe.

What’s key for the boy is the nap he’s gonna take when we get back to the house. He’s still dealing with lingering mono effects, so he prizes the sleep.

On 11/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

I am going to shoot a pig or doe right at daybreak Saturday morning, throw some ribs on the smoker and watch Texas beat wvu. Then go out Saturday night pig hunting. I will wait till full rut to go after a buck if at all. Doe are running amok due to the neighbors I think. I need another 300 acres or so.  I still will be like a kid in the candy store. Nothing like opening day.

Phase 1 and 2 done. Shot a 5.5 year old doe per the tpwd biologist at the cwd check site. Texas won...ribs almost done. Now to go kill some pigs. Talked my wife into going out tonight with me. Life is gooooood.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Just now, HOOKEM4 said:

Phase 1 and 2 done. Shot a 5.5 year old doe per the tpwd biologist at the cwd check site. Texas won...ribs almost done. Now to go kill some pigs. Talked my wife into going out tonight with me. Life is gooooood.

Nothing better than a deer stand BJ. Only seems to happen while you are still dating.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

bef1eed58a080a59fec16a6d7edaf447.jpg

Little brother smoked a doe and let her lay because the rest of the field didn’t spook at the shot. About 20 minutes later this dingo came skipping out. I knew he could shoot, but I’m proud as fuck right now. Little brother doesn’t understand why myself and dad are both so excited. First time, first day hunting and he gets a 10, doe, and a dingo. Shots getting dusty in here

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I knew he could shoot, but I’m proud as fuck right now. Little brother doesn’t understand why myself and dad are both so excited. First time, first day hunting and he gets a 10, doe, and a dingo. Shots getting dusty in here

It’s really fun to see people finally “get” hunting - awesome that he had such a great day too! Nice of you to let him hunt your spot and shoot a 10 point as well!

It’s really fun to see people finally “get” hunting - awesome that he had such a great day too! Nice of you to let him hunt your spot and shoot a 10 point as well!

Meh I hate to sound like a braggart, but on 2900 acres there’s plenty of opportunities and I’m way past chasing antlers. I also have enough antlers on the wall to help me be way past chasing antlers, but that’s not the point. He sent me this around 1500 today. I’m used to it, but he was absolutely beside himself lol
7b681d9a10adbda0498df7fe82d28098.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, we just had the most entertaining hunt of the trip. A skunk has been working around the house. Got a dog this morning (and then the dog jumped in my truck, dammit).

Just went out, and he was rooting in the trash in the shed. We pinned him down, then one nut went in with a .22 and took care of it. Didn’t spray, so, victory.

We were all highly entertained. Now, beer and gumbo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1