Steve Bannon Indicted

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He's not going to jail.

The ruling could pave the way for Bannon to eventually report to prison, though the timing is unclear.

In its ruling Friday, the three-judge appeals panel gave Bannon time to appeal its ruling to the full DC-based appeals court before it formally notifies the trial judge that the conviction was upheld.

Bannon could also turn directly to the Supreme Court for additional appeals, possibly further delaying when he needs to start serving his prison term.

His best strategy now is to delay delay delay, hoping for a Trump victory and pardon next January.

If he is given 4 weeks to appeal to the full DC court, the will appeal 5 minutes before the office closes on the 4th week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

His best strategy now is to delay delay delay, hoping for a Trump victory and pardon next January.

If he is given 4 weeks to appeal to the full DC court, the will appeal 5 minutes before the office closes on the 4th week.

And the DC circuit will deny rehearing muy pronto. 

39 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Why does this greasy pockridden fuck have an option to appeal to SCOTUS?

Everyone has the option to petition for certiorari to the Supreme Court. 

Noone has the right to have their appeal heard. The grant of certiorari is discretionary. I doubt they'll take it. 

I have no idea which poster it was, but someone here had the best description ever for Bannon.  “He looks like he smells like fucked butthole.”

I’ll think of that line each time this thread gets bumped.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I have no idea which poster it was, but someone here had the best description ever for Bannon.  “He looks like he smells like fucked buttholeFudge Nuggets.”

I’ll think of that line each time this thread gets bumped.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Everyone has the option to petition for certiorari to the Supreme Court. 

Noone has the right to have their appeal heard. The grant of certiorari is discretionary. I doubt they'll take it. 

What if Harlan Crow wants it to be heard and makes a phone call?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Duh, not everybody can afford to get their appeal heard. What you seen the rates Clarence has been charging nowadays??

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Duh, not everybody can afford to get their appeal heard. What you seen the rates Clarence has been charging nowadays??

Clarence has been turned into the DOJ.  He’s probably charging more now.

17 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Why does this greasy pockridden fuck have an option to appeal to SCOTUS?

That’s what I want to know. How is it that every time one of these shit bags gets in trouble they just bypass everything and go right to the Supreme Court?

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

That’s what I want to know. How is it that every time one of these shit bags gets in trouble they just bypass everything and go right to the Supreme Court?

Where are you getting that idea?  He was tried and convicted in the District Court for the District of Columbia; took his appeal to the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia; and now his appeal lies to the Supreme Court, if they take it.  Very few things make it to the Supreme Court without something from the intermediate court of appeals.

I don't think they'll take it because the DC Circuit is the only court that hears/decides contempt of Congress cases, so there's not a circuit split and Bannon was not an executive branch official at any relevant time, so it presents no separation of powers issues that could be considered important.  And the key issue in the criminal statute (that "willfully" means not an accident and requires no further bad intention) is pretty well settled.

Navarro's case might actually be better poised for a Supreme Court appeal because he was at least an executive branch official, but again one of the problems was that Trump never asserted executive privilege to Congress on his behalf, so there's not really even that issue.

Trump's bumbling legal team, generally unfit to do presidential/governmental work, did his toadies like Bannon and Navarro no favors at all.  Trump should have at least written Congress and asserted executive privilege.  But that might have cast a spotlight on the issue, where it would be realized that likely only Biden could assert executive privilege as sitting POTUS.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Where are you getting that idea?  He was tried and convicted in the District Court for the District of Columbia; took his appeal to the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia; and now his appeal lies to the Supreme Court, if they take it.  Very few things make it to the Supreme Court without something from the intermediate court of appeals.

I don't think they'll take it because the DC Circuit is the only court that hears/decides contempt of Congress cases, so there's not a circuit split and Bannon was not an executive branch official at any relevant time, so it presents no separation of powers issues that could be considered important.

Navarro's case might actually be better poised for a Supreme Court appeal because he was at least an executive branch official, but again one of the problems was that Trump never asserted executive privilege to Congress on his behalf, so there's not really even that issue.

His new appeal would be to the full dc appellate court, right?  Then after they adjudicate it, the next stop would be Supreme Court of US?

or is that saying he could do either?  Seems like the best course for time wasting would be to take every rung on the ladder to its full course. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

His new appeal would be to the full dc appellate court, right?  Then after they adjudicate it, the next stop would be Supreme Court of US?

That's not really an "appeal," it's a rehearing, either by the same panel, or the full court (en banc).  More of a "do over."  I don't think that is going to be successful at all and expect it to be denied within a week.

Unfortunately, the DC Circuit local rules give a lot more time (45 days) to ask for rehearing than the default Rules of Appellate Procedure (14 days).

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Don’t you have to pay your lawyers for all these appeals ?

True believers should do it for free. For Commandant Trump

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think they'll take it because the DC Circuit is the only court that hears/decides contempt of Congress cases, so there's not a circuit split and Bannon was not an executive branch official at any relevant time, so it presents no separation of powers issues that could be considered important.  And the key issue in the criminal statute (that "willfully" means not an accident and requires no further bad intention) is pretty well settled.

Trump's bumbling legal team, generally unfit to do presidential/governmental work, did his toadies like Bannon and Navarro no favors at all.  Trump should have at least written Congress and asserted executive privilege.  But that might have cast a spotlight on the issue, where it would be realized that likely only Biden could assert executive privilege as sitting POTUS.

From the post below.  But generally speaking, there seems to be an immediate pathway for ANYONE from Trump's orbit (like Navarro) straight to the Supreme Court.  Or unnecessary appeals the SC gladly hears (my non-lawyer brain thought the District Court's decision on presidential immunity did just fine.  They should have told him to fuck off.  But nooo . . .).

Sort of putting it another way, why was he even out of jail doing those fucking podcasts anyway?  

image.thumb.png.db249280355cd63abb915e04bddfb44b.png

Edited by Bullneck