More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

On 7/8/2023 at 11:19 PM, Brew said:

Most of the national shows have very little call in content at this point. I’m not that interested in music, it’s all just noise. I like sports so I listen to people talk about sports or I listen to whatever game is on if there is one. At least I did until the firings this week, because no one on ESPN is talking about sports any more. The shows today were absolutely fucking terrible. They really had to dig deep to find the people to fill the weekend spots. 

As far as Sirius, worth it for me. I can listen to pretty much any game on and flip between multiples. Football season when we’re on long runs back and forth to the beach, I can rotate between any game and just about any team broadcast depending on which side I want to listen to.

That’s the only reason I’d have Sirius/XM (football season).

I generally just listen to books on tape on any drive or anytime I’m listening to anything.

right now it’s Stephen Kotkin’s Stalin Vol1

12 hours ago, Hozz said:

ESPN continues to shit the bed.  It's like they are trying to go broke at this point.  I think Disney is going to sell them to Apple/Amazon/Google but I have no idea what those companies are even paying for at this point.  They have almost zero original programming people care about.  They are just broadcasting live rights shit they have overpaid for and then they double down on huge contracts for nobodies.  Mina Kimes?  No CR but come on, Sage Steele is 1000% better than Mina Kimes and she was kicked out for...reasons.

Steele was terrible, and she didn't get kicked out. She left on her own. 

Kimes and Steele didn't do the same things so I don't know how they're comparable. Kimes is primarily (I think only, actually) NFL coverage which still does really well for ESPN. Steele did just anchoring for ESPN, which no one is really watching anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

No she wasn’t.

She was good at her job. Then she committed the cardinal sin of not being a leftist and she dared to do it PUBLICLY!

Elvira Mistress Of The Dark Halloween GIF by filmeditor

Uh no. She's just objectively bad at it and is a hack, and is blaming her failures on things other than herself. As hacks do.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This not a good take for yah Pancho. 

• Steele was a good reporter
  • ESPN took assignments away from her
  • Steele was run off because she didn't match up with ESPN's political agenda

I’m surprised you can’t find a dumbass unnecessary tweet for this. No, she wasn’t run off. She has even admitted she left on her own. 

She wasn’t good. She wasn’t good before her political leanings and self-hate came out. Before anyone knew any of that shit, she was still bad. It is okay to admit that. And She wasn’t a reporter—she was an anchor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Where does she even work now? Surely with all of that talent and undeniably great personality there are networks lined up to sign her and have her on their most popular shows?

She just settled with ESPN less than 3 weeks ago.

Why don’t you regale us with the many examples of her incompetence.

Edited by lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

She just settled with ESPN less than 3 weeks ago.

Why don’t you regale us with the many examples of her incompetence.

So she sued her bosses and people aren't lining up to hire her? I don't even see some of the controversial stuff she said as political, they were just dumb as shit.

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

So she sued her bosses and people aren't lining up to hire her? I don't even see some of the controversial stuff she said as political, they were just dumb as shit.

And that’s ok. She was clearly run off because she disagrees with ESPN’s corporate political stance.

2 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

She used her platform as an ESPN employee to say a bunch of dumb shit and have a bunch of stupid political hot takes. Then when ESPN was like hey, we dont appreciate that, she did the typical weasel bullshit and pulled the "i said it as a private citizen" crap. Absolutely wants to have it both ways.

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I keep clicking on this thread out of some bizarre sense of interest in watching you idiots argue about multiple tv personalities that I don't think I've ever heard of, much less knew of the controversies around them. It's some sort of confusing, yet mildly entertaining slap fight exhibiting more passion on the subject matter than I think most of us could have expected. 

Gotta try first things first my man. I was cognizant at first, as i always found Broussard clownish. And they mostly cover the pro game so might not be for your tastes. But it's just a really good and funny sports show.

55 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

No. She was fired for being racist and insane.

Link?

29 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

And that’s ok. She was clearly run off because she disagrees with ESPN’s corporate political stance.

No, you’re trying to make up something that isn’t there for some dumbass reason.

Steele made anti-black comments against the former president and also said the way women dress is what can cause issues in the workplace/lockerrooms. But hill was fired for be an “racist” and “insane.” 

Fuck outta here with that horseshit. 

57 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Link?

31 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

No, you’re trying to make up something that isn’t there for some dumbass reason.

Steele made anti-black comments against the former president and also said the way women dress is what can cause issues in the workplace/lockerrooms. But hill was fired for be an “racist” and “insane.” 

57 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Link?

31 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

40 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

She used her platform as an ESPN employee to say a bunch of dumb shit and have a bunch of stupid political hot takes. Then when ESPN was like hey, we dont appreciate that, she did the typical weasel bullshit and pulled the "i said it as a private citizen" crap. Absolutely wants to have it both ways.

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Link?

Steele Is Black. 

you’re claiming that JHill isn’t racist (i noticed you didn’t bother trying to defend her sanity, lol)

Fuck outa here with that horseshit.

22 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Link?

Steele Is Black. 

you’re claiming that JHill isn’t racist (i noticed you didn’t bother trying to defend her sanity, lol)

12 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Creates rule set, gets riled up when someone uses the rule set against them.

Edited by lilMAC25

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

Steele Is Black. 

Steele Is Black. 

Creates rule set, gets riled up when someone uses the rule set against them.

She’s half-Black and made anti-Black statements about the past president. Both can be true at the same time. 

What is racist that Hill said? If Hill is insane then so is Steele. What makes Hill insane but not Steele based on her past comments?

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

First Things First is the best show on FS1. Those dudes are hilarious with great chemistry. Wildes is my favorite. I don't know why they continue to push Skip Bayless on us.

The problem with first things first is they all YELL into the microphone.

People used to watch Skip and Shannon for the banter and Shannon was really fun to watch back and forth at Skip. He's pretty much impossible to replace all the new guys just talk over him. 

That Aint No Problem Shannon Sharpe Gif That Aint No Problem Shannon Sharpe Skip Discover Share Gifs

Mina Kimes is on a short list (Bill Barnwell, Zach Lowe... maybe someone else) of people at ESPN who work hard, have intelligent takes, clearly watch tons of games, and don't just try to be inflammatory. I'm not going out of my way to watch her, but when she hops on a podcast, she's interesting.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pancho said:

She’s half-Black and made anti-Black statements about the past president. Both can be true at the same time. 

What is racist that Hill said? If Hill is insane then so is Steele. What makes Hill insane but not Steele based on her past comments?

What's neat is you can go back and watch Sage Steele all you want on youtube, she just looked good and talked sports, not many noticed her because it's not about her it's about the sports.

Here's Jemele Hill talking about being raped and stuff 

I think the mouse used Jemele to lean into the woke social justice thing and then got rid of her when she went a too far and it started affecting the bottom line.  

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

No she wasn’t.

She was good at her job. Then she committed the cardinal sin of not being a leftist and she dared to do it PUBLICLY!

Elvira Mistress Of The Dark Halloween GIF by filmeditor

But No CR, right?

Steele was a anchor/Host. Kimes is an analyst. They have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Your comparison of the 2 is nonsensical. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Link?

She's half black and she embraces her heritage. That's not anti-black. Not everybody in this world fits into a pigeon hole racially.

• Hook 'Em 1