American Civil War II

Fastbreak

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

If states reject the result of their vote and send their own appointed and unelected EC voters, the US will be dead. 

Who are states here?  The governor? State legislator?  You really think that if one or two ignore the results of the vote America just ends? 

first, the odds of this happening is extremely low. 
second, if it somehow does, it will just end up in the courts.  

do you really think the average citizen of said state is prepared to go to war with their brother Billy out west/east/north/south over this election? 

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

The originalist argument is that it is a states right to choose. If a state legislature is looking to ratfuck they'll have coverage from at least 2 justices

There's 33 states with laws that bind electors to the vote. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Xian said:

Some of yall need to step away from social media.  There isnt going to be a civil war 2.0.  

There is a good chance there might be an outbreak of some wackjob violence here or there, but the union as we know it will survive.  

Absolute worst case is our own version of the troubles or years of lead.  But i don't even see it getting close to that.  

This.  Holy shit.  Its fucking looney tunes up in here.

• Hook 'Em 2

The US military will be a permanent "peace keeping" force in the country for the foreseeable future, and dirty deeds will occur when they aren't looking. Just domestic terrorism acts perpetrated by both sides since they military can't be everywhere, they will be playing "Whack a Mole" for a decade.

CHIEF

On 11/2/2020 at 9:25 AM, Don Johnson said:

This.  Holy shit.  Its fucking looney tunes up in here.

This.  Not over this election anyhow.  Adding DC/PR and court packing and I bet things would ramp up, but it would be small acts, like we unfortunately already have to deal with.   

The US military will be a permanent "peace keeping" force in the country for the foreseeable future, and dirty deeds will occur when they aren't looking. Just domestic terrorism acts perpetrated by both sides since they military can't be everywhere, they will be playing "Whack a Mole" for a decade.
CHIEF

Both sides? Uh, that’s a negative.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:04 AM, immamac said:

There's 33 states with laws that bind electors to the vote. 

At least 3 justices believe a state legislature can override that. In other words, if the Republican PA legislature decides they don’t like their people voting for Biden, they could adopt a resolution saying they want to cast PA’s electors for Trump and they’d at least get some votes in their favor from the Supreme Court.

Given the facts we’re dealing with now, I really doubt that’s a serious concern. The Republican speaker of the PA house has already come out against it. But the idea it “can’t” happen is misguided. It was one of their plans to steal it all along, but they needed a closer vote to really try it.

On 11/1/2020 at 10:55 PM, Captainant said:

The originalist argument is that it is a states right to choose. If a state legislature is looking to ratfuck they'll have coverage from at least 2 justices

That's not an originalist argument.

It's a textual argument:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector

Sometimes, textual and original arguments overlap, but only when there's something ambiguous about the text.  There's nothing ambiguous about the states' role in the electoral college.

In most states, including Texas, the electors are appointed by the respective parties and are elected as a "slate" of R or D candidates dictated by the election results.

The legislatures could try to change the law on appointing electors between now and mid-December, but good luck with that.  Otherwise the legislature has no effect on the electors.

Being a faithless elector is an individual choice made in defiance of the political party that gave you the job.  Electors, like convention delegates, are ceremonial appointments given to loyalists.

So, this idea that a Republican legislature in a state voting for Biden could coerce Democratic electors to vote for Trump is fucking idiotic masturbatory fantasy no better than FrAUd!!! 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Not saying you’re wrong, but fuck that. 

Are you unable to see the difference between some whiny liberals unaffiliated with anything official trying to convince electors to go faithless and the actual losing candidate and current POTUS doing it?

Of course you aren't. Which means you're being disingenuous.

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Are you unable to see the difference between some whiny liberals unaffiliated with anything official trying to convince electors to go faithless and the actual losing candidate and current POTUS doing it?

Of course you aren't. Which means you're being disingenuous.

Are you unable to read the quote that I was responding to and my post?

Is Trump calling for electors to go faithless?  If so, fuck him. I don't see the link to that story in the exchange I responded to. Nor a quick news search, but haven't been glued to it today. 

And you are fucking stupid if you think that the Clinton campaign wasn't flirting with it during 2016. Get a mirror Brad. 

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/clinton-electoral-college-trump-232906

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Both sides? Uh, that’s a negative.

The military is comprised of both Democrats and Republicans and everyone from all corners of America. Do you think one would not shoot another over political differences? I would like to think not. But in a civil war those differences spill the other's blood, family, and finances. I have a tough time believing US troops could shoot their fellow citizens... but, if we invaded the town I lived in...and were burning down houses, and you walked up to any house, in my hometown... and had a grenade that you pulled out to throw...I'm killing you (my side and/or your side). I would like to think that's every soldier in the armed forces.

CHIEF

23 hours ago, CHIEF said:

The military is comprised of both Democrats and Republicans and everyone from all corners of America. Do you think one would not shoot another over political differences? I would like to think not. But in a civil war those differences spill the other's blood, family, and finances. I have a tough time believing US troops could shoot their fellow citizens... but, if we invaded the town I lived in...and were burning down houses, and you walked up to any house, in my hometown... and had a grenade that you pulled out to throw...I'm killing you (my side and/or your side). I would like to think that's every soldier in the armed forces.

CHIEF

Your post is all over the place.  The violence from both sides is disproportionally (95/5%) skewed towards the right and their idiotic followers.   

Do I think the US military would shoot unarmed civilians?  I would like to think not, but Kent State. 

On 11/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, G650 said:

Use Your Illusion I and II are hideously underrated and unfairly maligned albums. Back off Bitch is a rock icon, and Coma is their Opus

Pretty Tied Up, You Could be Mine, the Estranged guitar solo...  Jesus how is this even a conversation.

Coma and Estranged are the jewels of Use Your Illusion I and II.

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

That was a really long war. 

Well, to be fair...the Proud Boys were supposed to show up to intimidate Biden supporters at a Guiliani speech in Philly yesterday.  But messages got crossed and they've now been assigned to protect a very strategic chemical and munitions facility in North Philly called the Four Seasons Total Landscape.  which is obviously just a codename for the significance of the depot.  Because by securing it from Biden supporters, they will "Totally Chance the Landscape" of the country's politics for 'Four Seasons' or 'Four Years' if you will. 

Once that location is secure, I believe the new Civil War can begin.  I personally am awaiting counter-orders from Major General Gritty.  

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 6:56 AM, FOXHOUND said:

We've been in a cold Civil War for 40 something years now. This cake has been baking since the passage of the Civil Rights act. And there is currently a President in office that carries the banner of white nationalism, he is their champion like Prince Oberyn. Hopefully the mass of people that reject the slow fascist takeover will win the day Tuesday night. I'm literally afraid for this country if we have another 2000 situation. 

This. It's difficult for me to imagine how the war will start and ultimately go, particularly the role of the military, but I'm getting to the point that I literally can't imagine a future that doesn't include an eruption of political violence in the next decade or two at longest.

I simply don't see how we can avoid it when a large tribe, which is already quite militant and hateful, insulates itself in an alternate reality echo chamber of disinformation that increasingly radicalizes them and demonizes the other half of the population. Eventually the so called alt right will convert the rest of the right to the belief that violence is the only way. 

On 11/6/2020 at 1:55 PM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

This is how I'd guess things will go.