ebay scam?

So we start getting packages that look like random people trying to return something.  These are all pet flea collars and all have an ebay return label with our address and wife's name

Can't really figure out the scam other than the seller is keeping the payment after the buyer returns it?  we have probably gotten 7 or so packages so far.

ebay was absolutely no help what so ever and DNGAF at all.  said we need a police report before they could even look at it.  Not exactly an episode of CSI here.

What's the angle here?  Is it just to avoid any returns?  I have not ebay'd in a while, but I thought ebay always sided with the buyer and would refund their money 99% of the time.

Seems like a shitty scam. Do the packages have tracking info? If so, then it would show they were delivered, and the seller wouldn’t have any grounds to argue. But even then, they could do the same thing if they used their own address and then they’d have the product back as well. I’d guess it’s a clerical error and they’re sending out return labels with a typo in the address

3 hours ago, Quagmire said:

OP has fleas but wife doesn’t want to tell him

no comment on me having fleas.  We did get a new dog, so thought maybe it was some sort of free sample that we somehow got signed up for through the vet selling our info or something.  After the 8th package arrived...not so much with that theory.

15 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Seems like a shitty scam. Do the packages have tracking info? If so, then it would show they were delivered, and the seller wouldn’t have any grounds to argue. But even then, they could do the same thing if they used their own address and then they’d have the product back as well. I’d guess it’s a clerical error and they’re sending out return labels with a typo in the address

It's not a typo, it has our name and address as the return to address.  I guess since this is low dollar stuff (like $20 or so) they are banking on people that returned it not wanting to fight the good fight for $20.  interweb sleuthing also showed some counterfeit Sorestro(?) brand collars being as issue.  Maybe they sell the fake collars at bigly profits and then dispute any returns as not arriving?

18 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Your wife is into sub dom sex culture. Or ebay scam.

My money is on the first.

surly did not disappoint

18 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

It's not a typo, it has our name and address as the return to address.  I guess since this is low dollar stuff (like $20 or so) they are banking on people that returned it not wanting to fight the good fight for $20.  interweb sleuthing also showed some counterfeit Sorestro(?) brand collars being as issue.  Maybe they sell the fake collars at bigly profits and then dispute any returns as not arriving?

Ah, yeah. Then that blows my theory on it being a typo. And I guess if it is an ongoing scam, they wouldn't want to use their own address because then somebody could eventually track them down. Being low-dollar items, possibly counterfeit, the value in recovering the product to be sold again is low. And now that I think about it, I don't really ever check to see if I got a credit back on something that small. Once I drop it in the mail, I forget about it almost immediately. That could be a business model. They refund anybody that makes a dispute, but they make up for it with everybody else that doesn't notice or bother to do so. 

9 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Wait so eBay can't trace the tracking number back to the account that created the label?

They probably could, but when we called them, 1 single fuck could not be given.  Does ebay pay for return shipping?  If so, we were trying to help stop fraud that affected them but they would not give us any info regarding the auction or buyers or sellers.  We tried explaining that we don't care who anyone's actual identity was, we just wanted the person(s) using our address as the return address to get a cease and desist from ebay.  No dice.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Hey, free flea collars. Take the win.

We got a fitbit from amazon. Addressed to my wife, she swears she didn't order it. No charges on our credit cards, nobody we know admits to sending it to us. Amazon DGAF.

Anybody want to buy a fitbit?

i got a ninja foodi grill air fryer thing at the office one day like that.  turned out my parents randomly bought it for me and didn't tell me.  gift receipt was down at the bottom wedged into a box flap. 

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

i got a ninja foodi grill air fryer thing at the office one day like that.  turned out my parents randomly bought it for me and didn't tell me.  gift receipt was down at the bottom wedged into a box flap. 

we got sent this huge box.  probably 3.5'x3.5' and it was beat to hell.  think Ace Ventura 

tenor.gif

and add a factor of 10.  I called UPS 4 times over the course of a week to come and get this mountain of garbage.  Each time they said no problem, but never showed up.  I said fuck it and finally opened it up and it's this huge amplifier for i guess guitars. looks expensive but I have yet to look it up or even see if it works.

once a shipment has left, people don't seem to GAF

I'm assuming this is the old Same zipcode return scam that Ebay had a couple years ago.  Basically they consider the item returned if its delivered in the same zipcode assume since some companies have slightly different return addresses than send addresses.

So buyer buys an item... claims is defective and requests return / refund.  Seller agrees and sends Buyer a shipping label. Seller uses their own label to mail something (not the item) to a different address in the same zipcode as the return address. Ebay sees it as returned and refunds money to Buyer.  Seller now is burdened with disputing and Sellers on Ebay have almost no rights so some just eat it, some dispute but then buyer can show tracking code that was delivered in zipcode and Seller has to do more burdensome disputing or go ahead and eat it.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:40 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

So we start getting packages that look like random people trying to return something.  These are all pet flea collars and all have an ebay return label with our address and wife's name

Can't really figure out the scam other than the seller is keeping the payment after the buyer returns it?  we have probably gotten 7 or so packages so far.

ebay was absolutely no help what so ever and DNGAF at all.  said we need a police report before they could even look at it.  Not exactly an episode of CSI here.

What's the angle here?  Is it just to avoid any returns?  I have not ebay'd in a while, but I thought ebay always sided with the buyer and would refund their money 99% of the time.

CSB....So about this alleged wife.....

My daughter just received unordered merchandise from Target.com.

A pair of men's pants.  Conveniently enough in my size.

Her name was mis-spelled and the apartment # was wrong.

Same scam?  Any ideas?

I recommended she try to return it to Target to see what they have to say about it, but per the FTC she can keep it.

It's a "gift"

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise

Q. Am I obligated to return or pay for merchandise I never ordered?

A. No. If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift.

Edited by BearSchlong

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My daughter just received unordered merchandise from Target.com.

A pair of men's pants.  Conveniently enough in my size.

Her name was mis-spelled and the apartment # was wrong.

Same scam?  Any ideas?

I recommended she try to return it to Target to see what they have to say about it, but per the FTC she can keep it.

It's a "gift"

That's just what she's telling you to cover for her two boyfriends that jumped out the window without their pants when you came home early