Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

Iowa State's up: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/12/17420574/iowa-state-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

S&P+ projects ISU just 6-6 this year, which is probably fair — I’ve gone back and forth between about 4-8 and 9-3.

The case for 2018 being a natural regression year:

1. The Cyclones are thinned out at receiver and DB, and continuity in those two units tends to have a pretty direct impact on change in S&P+.
  2. Turnovers luck went massively in ISU’s favor. Based on national averages for fumble recoveries and the ratio of interceptions to pass breakups, the Cyclones’ turnover margin should have been about minus-2. It was plus-10. That’s the third-largest difference in the country. Considering they had a plus-13 TO margin in eight wins and a minus-3 margin in five losses, you could see how regression in that regard might have an effect.
  3. ISU plays four projected top-40 teams on the road, and while OU does have to come to Ames, let’s just say the odds are good that the Sooners don’t throw it in cruise this time.

The case for 2017 being only the beginning of ISU’s rise:

1. Kempt still has some experienced receivers, and even if the numbers didn’t reflect it last year, Montgomery’s awesome. And now they’re both more experienced.
  2. Heacock’s front six/seven could end up even more disruptive. And while safety is green, ISU is proven at cornerback.
  3. I just really like Campbell. His teams overachieve their stats in most years, and while they’re projected to play in quite a few close games (six projected within a touchdown), I like his chances of going at least 3-3 or 4-2 or so in those games, even if the god of turnovers is less kind.

I think the “regression” case is a bit stronger right now, but I hope I’m wrong.

Just now, closetojumping said:

This is one of the more stunning things I’ve read in weeks. The on-field IQ of this guy is single digits, yet he’s entering McCombs. Knock me over with a feather. 

Lulz. Sam has always seemed like a really smart guy and this appears to confirm it. It's what makes me hopeful that if the staff sits down with him and clearly explains that it's better for the team for him to take less hits than it is for him to fight for that extra yard each time (regardless of Herman saying in pressers that he likes the way Sam plays), that he'll be able to change how he plays. Having said that, book intelligence and mental control in the heat of battle are two different things. RGIII could never learn to take less hits, but other guys have been able to.  If Sam doesn't change his play style this year, then we'll have to move our hope of finding a great QB from him to Rising and/or Thompson because Sam can't stay on the field playing this way.  

If I'm Beck, I'm showing Sam clips of Russell Wilson over and over this offseason.

I'll also add that If Herman and Co. are actually encouraging Sam to keep playing how he did last year, like Herman implied in some of his press statements, then that would go a long way in making me think that Herman just isn't the right guy for the job. What happened at tOSU the year they won the title is not a repeatable model. 

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. Sam has always seemed like a really smart guy and this appears to confirm it. It's what makes me hopeful that if the staff sits down with him and clearly explains that it's better for the team for him to take less hits than it is for him to fight for that extra yard each time (regardless of Herman saying in pressers that he likes the way Sam plays), that he'll be able to change how he plays. Having said that, book intelligence and mental control in the heat of battle are two different things. RGIII could never learn to take less hits, but other guys have been able to.  If Sam doesn't change his play style this year, then we'll have to move our hope of finding a great QB from him to Rising and/or Thompson because Sam can't stay on the field playing this way.  

If I'm Beck, I'm showing Sam clips of Russell Wilson over and over this offseason.

I'll also add that If Herman and Co. are actually encouraging Sam to keep playing how he did last year, like Herman implied in some of his press statements, then that would go a long way in making me think that Herman just isn't the right guy for the job. What happened at tOSU the year they won the title is not a repeatable model. 

That last paragraph is just wrong. Saying a head coach needs to go because his starting quarterback takes a lot of hits...  LOL

19 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Mentioning Sam Ehlinger in a post that includes RGIII and Russell Wilson as loose comparative references. Impressive. Also stunning. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That last paragraph is just wrong. Saying a head coach needs to go because his starting quarterback takes a lot of hits...  LOL

Agreed. Sam is here to play football and get fucking destroyed for my amusement. So what if he clearly suffers a concussion, comes out for 1 play, and then is immediately put back in the game? It's not Herman's job to protect his players. He's here to win fucking football games. Get Sam's brain damaged ass back out there so he can throw more jump balls right before a 300 pound man plants him into the turf. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You seem to have a fundamental inability to comprehend anything I say. I didn't say anything near what you said.  If Herman is encouraging Sam to take hits (like he claims to be in his pressers), that's a bad move and would not be a good sign for Herman as a coach. It would not mandate his firing.  If Herman coaches Sam not to take hits and he does it anyway, then that's on Sam, not Herman.  It's a pretty straightforward and, should be at least, uncontroversial stance that Sam can't maintain his style of play and his coaches should coach him to not take so many hits.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mentioning Sam Ehlinger in a post that includes RGIII and Russell Wilson as loose comparative references. Impressive. Also stunning. 

Lulz. Not saying he's anywhere near as good as either of them or even has that similar of a play style, only referring to those guys games as it applies to taking/avoiding hits when running.  Russell Wilson, IMO, is pretty much the gold standard for a running QB that doesn't take hits when he runs.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

13 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

You seem to have a fundamental inability to comprehend anything I say. I didn't say anything near what you said.  If Herman is encouraging Sam to take hits (like he claims to be in his pressers), that's a bad move and would not be a good sign for Herman as a coach. It would not mandate his firing.  If Herman coaches Sam not to take hits and he does it anyway, then that's on Sam, not Herman.  It's a pretty straightforward and, should be at least, uncontroversial stance that Sam can't maintain his style of play and his coaches should coach him to not take so many hits.

Lulz. Not saying he's anywhere near as good as either of them or even has that similar of a play style, only referring to those guys games as it applies to taking/avoiding hits when running.  Russell Wilson, IMO, is pretty much the gold standard for a running QB that doesn't take hits when he runs.

Dude, you don’t always have to be a lawyer, right? I knew what you were saying. Just fucking around because you lobbed me a softball. 

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This is one of the more stunning things I’ve read in weeks. The on-field IQ of this guy is single digits, yet he’s entering McCombs. Knock me over with a feather. 

Maybe Sam is more of a analyst/planner type. He doesn't instantaneously identify the best course of action and execute it, but rather he is methodical and deliberate. Given time, he weighs the various pluses and minuses and makes the right decision.

Most business decisions are not analyzed and acted up in under 5 seconds.

The Business School admission after only 3 semesters + a summer on campus while devoting full time attention to football (including weights & conditioning) is very impressive. Hopefully the game will continue to slow down for him and his analysis/response time speeds up.

Go Sam!

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Maybe Sam is more of a analyst/planner type. He doesn't instantaneously identify the best course of action and execute it, but rather he is methodical and deliberate. Given time, he weighs the various pluses and minuses and makes the right decision.

The Business School admission after only 3 semesters + a summer on campus while devoting full time attention to football (including weights & conditioning) is very impressive. Hopefully the game will continue to slow down for him and his analysis/response time speeds up.

Go Sam!

I agree, Mrs. Ehlinger. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I agree, Mrs. Ehlinger*. 

😂
I admit, I would let Sam's mom use my computer in the morning. 😎

I just hope that Sam gets the ball to Lil'Jordan as much as possible this year, because I like LJH's ability to run in space. He is a 5'10" RB in a 6'4" WR's body. I really feel that he's UT's most underutilized weapon. In the right offense, whether college or NFL, he can be a monster.

*After looking her up on the Google, I think that she may be remarried and might not go by "Mrs. Ehlinger" anymore, but others would know better than I.

To transfer into the business school when I was at Texas, you had to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA to even be considered.Assuming no athlete special treatment happened here that means Sam had an excellent first year at Texas. Congrats to him. 

Do we need a separate thread for QB talk? This is the scariest part of our team IMO, like last year we could win 10 with good QB play.

Sam: Seems like the starter, Coach was his first offer and seems committed to having him lead us. Made some of the worst plays I've seen a QB make last year directly costing us wins. Has a history of poor decisions dating back to HS but mostly got away with it. Drifts from the pocket more often than not and takes hits every time. Can he take the necessary steps to manage a game without the big mistakes at the end of games?

Shane: Physically and mentally beat up during his time here. Lost all feel for pocket and pressure. Accurate. Is often late on throwing the ball. Average runner who seems to take big hits. Seems to love it here and Ok with being a backup.

True FR: Need a RS IMO. Both showed well at spring game.

Our WR's need to step up and become consistently reliable, RB should be solid, TE and OL should be improved from dogshit to average. This should all help.

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

To transfer into the business school when I was at Texas, you had to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA to even be considered.Assuming no athlete special treatment happened here that means Sam had an excellent first year at Texas. Congrats to him. 

Maybe while he's there he can sell Kyle Porter on how much fun it would be to graduate in three years and go pro in something other than sports.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Still subjective, reference letters still carry a great deal of weight. With a 3.5 today, you have to either be very lucky or have the right people in your corner to get in.

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Still subjective, reference letters still carry a great deal of weight. With a 3.5 today, you have to either be very lucky or have the right people in your corner to get in.

You see? This is why it’s best just to be accepted in upon applying in high school. Then you don’t have to reduce yourself to this plebeian shit. 

How it was explained to me was that don't apply to the Liberal Arts school out of high school, apply to the Business school. Once you're on campus its almost impossible to transfer in to the Business school, and impossible to not be able to transfer to the Liberal Arts school.

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

How it was explained to me was that don't apply to the Liberal Arts school out of high school, apply to the Business school. Once you're on campus its almost impossible to transfer in to the Business school, and impossible to not be able to transfer to the Liberal Arts school.

As a Liberal Arts graduate who didn't attend orientation and got scheduling advice from his roommates (one of whom attended summer school to get into UT... but didn't, and went to ACC for a number of years), I can attest that anyone can get into the Liberal Arts School once on campus. I think that I "declared my major" about 8 years after entering UT the first time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I bet first year McCombs students do not have the same business acumen as graduates.  Reckon?

You ke

14 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

As a Liberal Arts graduate who didn't attend orientation and got scheduling advice from his roommates (one of whom attended summer school to get into UT... but didn't, and went to ACC for a number of years), I can attest that anyone can get into the Liberal Arts School once on campus. I think that I "declared my major" about 8 years after entering UT the first time.

You kept getting older

but the girls remained the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

I bet first year McCombs students do not have the same business acumen as graduates.  Reckon?

This seems to be an ideal spot for me to gouge my eyes out.

Edited by Bevo

Congrats to Sam. Sam is blessed with something that simply can't be coached - determination. He was always the hardest worker on the team in HS, staying late to lift and setting a great example to his teammates. Like everything else he has accomplished, his acceptance into the business school is because he earned it. Expect a big progression from him as the full starter this season.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Do we need a separate thread for QB talk?

Rest assured we'll have nine by the time the 2018 season is done - one for each QB saying they suck, another saying they should starts. The ninth will be the ghost of lamarcgasolaldridge claiming that Jerrod Heard is the One True Texas QB. 

25 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Congrats to Sam. Sam is blessed with something that simply can't be coached - determination. He was always the hardest worker on the team in HS, staying late to lift and setting a great example to his teammates. Like everything else he has accomplished, his acceptance into the business school is because he earned it. Expect a big progression from him as the full starter this season.  

Which would you say is more important, hard work or stick-to-itveness? 

31 minutes ago, TexasTroll said:

You ke

You kept getting older

but the girls remained the same.

Unfortunately, starting a few weeks before my first sophomore year...

I kept getting balder as well. 

I looked fine as long as I didn't take my ball cap off. [sad face emoji]

But yeah... I also was there to witness the transformation from: Girls walking across campus in plastic wind shorts... to Girls walking across campus in Daisy Dukes.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Go Sam!

Right? Or maybe just maybe...he was a true freshman with a bad o-line, no running back, some meh playmaker wrs, and no coherent gameplan in the toughest position to play in sports.

The game will slow down for him this year and hopefully he can be more comfortable with what he’s being coached to do.

• Like 1

I am glad we have both Qb's plus the two incoming ones. I wish Sam could have red-shirted last season, but his various ups and downs will benefit him.

Many people here don't understand how deeply committed he is to the team's success, as evidenced by the "Sam will transfer if he doesn't start" comments.

Sam and the Horns are going to make a big move next season. Hook 'em.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ousux said:
6 hours ago, Scholz said:
Gumption, grit and get-up-and-go.

Slap some moxy and winnerness on top of that and we'll be unstoppable..

Add a dab of Brylcreem and they will be untouchable!!!

Edited by TexasTroll

I am glad we have both Qb's plus the two incoming ones. I wish Sam could have red-shirted last season, but his various ups and downs will benefit him.
Many people here don't understand how deeply committed he is to the team's success, as evidenced by the "Sam will transfer if he doesn't start" comments.
Sam and the Horns are going to make a big move next season. Hook 'em.

So you’re the Longhorn94 but for Westlake? Got it
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That's a fair point. But tell me how proficient your split second decision making ability would be, as a true freshman, with a 300 lb man chasing you around trying to rip your head off.  

10 minutes ago, stork642 said:

That's a fair point. But tell me how proficient your split second decision making ability would be, as a true freshman, with a 300 lb man chasing you around trying to rip your head off.  

You’re either football strong or you’re not. You’re football fast or you’re not. You’re football smart or you’re not. 

How fast you run in shorts, how much you squat in the gym or what school you gained entrance to may or may not have some correlation to your ability as a football player. 

• Like 2

Cockroaches: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/13/17434332/tcu-football-2018-preview-schedule-roster

Gundy’s “TCU and OSU are basically the same” construct is true in one more way this year: each is a QB away from big success. They’re both breaking in new ones, and it’s just impossible to make confident predictions until we’ve seen them in action.

Going strictly on S&P+, though, TCU’s going to have as good a chance as anyone of getting to the title game. And the schedule is as favorable as you can get — the Frogs get five home games to only four road games, two of which are at KU and Baylor. They are projected favorites in seven of nine league games and are the tiniest of projected underdogs (0.7 points) at Texas. (Here’s where TCU fans point out that the Frogs have pummeled the Horns for four straight years.)

If Robinson is ready, TCU will be, too. And that could make Ohio State’s week three Metroplex visit awfully interesting.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

You’re either football strong or you’re not. You’re football fast or you’re not. You’re football smart or you’re not. 

How fast you run in shorts, how much you squat in the gym or what school you gained entrance to may or may not have some correlation to your ability as a football player. 

I love how an announcement that an excited kid got into his school of choice turns into an argument on whether or not he is a good football player. Let the offseason roll on. 

onward-buttercup-theres-fuckerytospread-

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Brett Favre says hi

I think we ultimately learned Favre knew the risks he was taking and just took them anyway. He became much more mature and learned to just not take those risks. It was not an issue of him having a low football IQ rather a low football maturity. 

I hope in Sam's case he is an immature gunslinger like Favre and can learn to reign those risks in.