Markets still falling like whoa

I was going to ask last night if it was worth buying shares at $150, and I thought probably not, no point in asking. Kind of looking like I wouldn’t have even been able to get shares at twice that this morning. 

So....is it worth buying in at around 300?

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, this is why I didn’t get in on GME as much as I apparently should have back when it was around $20 because even with all the money WSB throws around, they wouldn’t have the funds to pull this off by themselves. Turns out, they weren’t the only ones who caught on to the over-shorting, they’re just the only ones who posted about it out publicly. I had seen a post about this on WSB earlier, and it definitely looks like Blackrock is targeting Melvin over-shorting a ton of different stocks. 

But I’m sure when the dust settles, WSB will get blamed and retail investor will suffer the consequences. 

It's because BlackRock can't really talk about it publicly.  They've known this long before someone on Reddit put 1 & 2 together.  Make no mistake, this is BlackRock and a few other funds absolutely rewarding Citron/Melvin with the Sword of Damocles.  

Yeah, this is why I didn’t get in on GME as much as I apparently should have back when it was around $20 because even with all the money WSB throws around, they wouldn’t have the funds to pull this off by themselves. Turns out, they weren’t the only ones who caught on to the over-shorting, they’re just the only ones who posted about it out publicly. I had seen a post about this on WSB earlier, and it definitely looks like Blackrock is targeting Melvin over-shorting a ton of different stocks. 

But I’m sure when the dust settles, WSB will get blamed and retail investor will suffer the consequences. 
I still can't believe I found the breadcrumb trail that led me to BlackRock. If I had found that 4 weeks ago, I would have easily cleared high six figures, possibly 7. GME was just the biggest fish of them, but the list on Melvin's 13f was batting almost 1.000 for short positions that had BlackRock on the other side that popped. One outlier I saw was KR, and I stopped looking there, but GME, BBBY were my first looks, then I just started going alphabetical. Spike, spike, spike. Wild.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

this is going to be ironically written about as the week a populist mob movement organically pumped poor dying companies and destroyed the hedge fund short market makers...when it was actually the world's largest shadow bank perpetrating a public execution of a nuisance to them.

really good work, @Eastwood.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, sidis said:

this is going to be ironically written about as the week a populist mob movement organically pumped poor dying companies and destroyed the hedge fund short market makers...when it was actually the world's largest shadow bank perpetrating a public execution of a nuisance to them.

really good work, @Eastwood.

right... this shit is like some crazy tom clancy spy novel in but it's stock market.

Cohen paid about $75.9 million for his 9 million shares, an average price of about $8.43 per share. His stake is worth about $1.3 billion at yesterday’s closing price, or I guess twice that after Musk’s tweet. I bet that, when he was buying the stock at $8.43 a share, and when he was crafting his activist letter to the GameStop board, he thought that $40 a share would be a great outcome. Close some stores, be more efficient, build up the online presence, get to positive net income, blah blah blah, quintuple his money. It would take months or years of sustained engagement, but he is an experienced operator and was probably up for the challenge.

Oops! He’s been on the board for two weeks, he’s done roughly nothing, and he’s up 1,655%, or some other comically large number, depending on what minute you choose to look at the stock price. It is a staggeringly good trade. It’s less impressive in percentage terms than “Roaring Kitty,” the WallStreetBets poster (with a more profane name on Reddit) who leads the GameStop crew and who turned $53,566.04 of option premium into $22.8 million and counting. But Roaring Kitty has been in the trade since September 2019; Cohen has been in for five months and has made more than a billion dollars.

Must be nice to be Ryan Cohen....

and Eastwood.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

You are buying a stock at 300 that you know is propped up shit?  What’s the out here just see if it goes up a bit and sell?

I flipped options on the way and profits were cash. Some of it went back into the shares which is all house money. 

im also in it for the Lulz

18 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

AMC nearing 16 @cam4mav

Right after I bought it it dipped down for a bit to the $13 range and I contemplated my life choices. However I have faith in my autism and will learn to weaponize it.

My actual holding is 50 shares @ $15.73

not quite $1k it's $786 but that's all I had available in fidelity. $1k sounds more fun though.

I haven't traded a stock in like 7 years, damn website had an outdated bank account and I had to submit my current one, and they manually verify it (takes 4 business days according to their disclaimer).  But I did have a few shares of Sprint that converted to TMobile and had been forgotten about. So sold those and bought AMC. 

If it's under $20 by the time I get my actual bank account verified I'll put some more in there just to see what happens and make it actually 1k. I feel bad I lied to everybody.

fuck this shit is entertaining

I DONT think BlackRock is targeting Melvin.  They own pretty much the entire market, and make money on fees.  They have no incentive to take down one of their ilk; they dont want to provide the notion that retailers can do active investment; and especially they don't want to trigger some sort of avalanche that takes down the entire market/establishment.

The reason the other shorted companies went on a run is simultaneously (1) shorters getting the fuck out before the mobs come and (2) some of the mob started attacking them as the next GME

Also you cannot discount the immense influence that WSB wields.  It may read like it is full of 20 year old retards.  Which it is.  But it is also full of 30/40/50 year olds (like ourselves) masquerading as retards, and with a decent account size attached to them.  There is a German carbon copy of WSB.  There are doubtless tons of Chinese ones.  And all my friends/coworkers across Europe are talking about the same thing, sharing the same memes.  2M+ membership on WSB and rising..... ....and think of all the lurkers who aren't registered.

This isn't an AOL chatroom of the 90s with maybe 200 people in it.  This is a massive, global operation, happening in REAL TIME.  Something that the odd newsletter and chat group didn't have.  Combine that with an anti-establishment fervor and this thing was a perfect nuclear bomb waiting for something to press the button.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Also you cannot discount the immense influence that WSB wields.  It may read like it is full of 20 year old retards.  Which it is.  But it is also full of 30/40/50 year olds (like ourselves) masquerading as retards, and with a decent account size attached to them.  There is a German carbon copy of WSB.  There are doubtless tons of Chinese ones.  And all my friends/coworkers across Europe are talking about the same thing, sharing the same memes.  2M+ membership on WSB and rising..... ....and think of all the lurkers who aren't registered.

This isn't an AOL chatroom of the 90s with maybe 200 people in it.  This is a massive, global operation, happening in REAL TIME.  Something that the odd newsletter and chat group didn't have.  Combine that with an anti-establishment fervor and this thing was a perfect nuclear bomb waiting for something to press the button.

That's part of what makes this so fascinating to me. There's the how the fuck does this work part that i'm interested in. But also.... seemingly overnight the anti-establishment mood suddenly has a target. And it's acting. decisively. With $ that can actually hurt the "bad guys". Might not really know why or how it works.... but it's happening *ron paul gif*

Also the audio clip posted earlier was an interesting illustration talking about how a good chunk of people participating in this were in grade school during 2008 when things went tits up. I'm slightly older than that as I was a freshman in college taking econ 101 classes around 2009. My dad worked for Washington Mutual back in the day. What was the consequence for excessive risk taking by big banks? None. They got bailed out and merged together and grew even bigger. 

*popcorn*

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I DONT think BlackRock is targeting Melvin.  They own pretty much the entire market, and make money on fees.  They have no incentive to take down one of their ilk; they dont want to provide the notion that retailers can do active investment; and especially they don't want to trigger some sort of avalanche that takes down the entire market/establishment.

The reason the other shorted companies went on a run is simultaneously (1) shorters getting the fuck out before the mobs come and (2) some of the mob started attacking them as the next GME

you, of course, could be correct...but it is an interesting collection of companies that were seeing all this volume over the last ten days.  why would shorters of iron mountain or dillards think a gamestop mob was coming for them?

and given their positions in those companies and melvin's shorting strategy, i disagree that blackrock had NO incentive to take them down.  that said, it does seem like the benefits are small potatoes for the risk of bringing all the shit that could rain down on them for this.  but the activity in that specific basket of companies is just very odd.  seems like some force is leading the wsb mob by the nose and directing them to companies that have a very consistent pattern.

My son goes out of his way to kick small rocks while we're walking in the park. No reason other than it's fun. BlackRock manages 7 trillion, with a T, and Melvin manages $20 billion and was heavily shorting some 9 figure positions of BlackRock. BlackRock kicked the shit out of that Melvin rock just because it was fun, in my opinion.

But like I said last night in the Stonks thread when I first presented the theory... Could be nothing. Could be something. Interesting either way.

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

you, of course, could be correct...but it is an interesting collection of companies that were seeing all this volume over the last ten days.  why would shorters of iron mountain or dillards think a gamestop mob was coming for them?

and given their positions in those companies and melvin's shorting strategy, i disagree that blackrock had NO incentive to take them down.  that said, it does seem like the benefits are small potatoes for the risk of bringing all the shit that could rain down on them for this.  but the activity in that specific basket of companies is just very odd.  seems like some force is leading the wsb mob by the nose and directing them to companies that have a very consistent pattern.

There’s been zero pumping of those other niche, low vol/cap stocks on WSB. Mention of any other tickers is actually actively discouraged, because it means people are removing their stake from GME. 

Theory 1 that I posit is that big institutional shorters on GME (who aren’t already short a particular ticker) will pump up a relatively popular name (like NOL/BB) to get eyeballs away from GME. It cost them very little to spike something that small. 

Theory 2 is that other small non-WSB groups are driving the attack. And these targets being smaller are more susceptible to an easy price hike. They could also do it through cheap options. And this in turn drives a short squeeze — at a much much smaller scale than GME. 

Personally I’m only interested in GME because of the significantly higher SI, and there is little evidence that it has been covered.  Buying and holding the shares in a concerted effort also prevents the short sellers from covering. This level of coordination/unity is unprecented 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

The market is detached from any kind of underlying fundamentals and has been for quite some time and the MA Secretary of State is going to get bent about THIS?  Fuckouttahere with that bruh.  

It’s only okay if senators and congresspeople do it

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

what is the difference between this and the stonks thread? why do we have two different places of discussion?

The stonks took over broader market news the past few days.  This is more broad market discussion with a lot of large play ideas, etc.  The stonks thread is moreso the investment gambling thread, with some due diligence involved.  Sometimes, those ideas bleed over into serious money.   

• Hook 'Em 3