Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

Have a '72 Fj pics are somewhere on here or the old Shaggy.  It's a franken truck with a Chevy 350 and god only knows what welded up rear axle.   I need to get it going again, during covid I tried to get some of the original gauges functioning again and fried the whole cluster.  The dull poof, smoke,  and smell of ozone is a subtle yet convincing sign you done fucked up.

I think I'm gonna get the whole thing rewired.  

That new Landcruiser if it gets the green light and will be my new ride.

2021-toyota-land-cruiser-70-series-70th-

Edited by locodos

7 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Why would you get a branded title if you replace a door lock?

You’d have to ask them.  They wanted to salvage mine until they realized how much we’d cost them.  

i have full coverage on a car I never really drive.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Mrs. CHIEF has finally decided to let go of her 4Runner instead of letting it sit unused in my shop. We bought it new from South Point, in Austin, in 2003. It is a bone stock. I was waiting for a Limited, but the sales guy called me when this loaded out Sport model came in. It is one owner, accident free. It has the 4.7 V8, five speed auto, AWD/4LO, has the electric locking axles, leather guts, and a sunroof. The paint is faded on the hood scoop, and has some rock chips.

It has 254k miles on the clock, but has never needed anything other than routine maintenance (oil change, CV axles, timing chain has 54k miles on it). It has things that are wrong with a 20 year old vehicle, seats and dash have cracks from sitting in the sun at work, the above mentioned paint. But, it has easily been the best vehicle we have ever owned. But has been sitting in my shop on and off for about four years. She has been a loaner car for when friends and family needed her.

Since we both love this car dearly, I decided not to make a hunting rig out of it. But I am looking for someone else that would love "Ol' Hoopty" and would give her the proper love and care that she deserves. I would not be afraid to jump in her right now and drive to Fairbanks, AK. I don't think she has it in her to be a daily driver again, but would make for a great second car, or a vehicle for a stay at home mom. It is the most capable vehicle I have ever owned, it was our transportation during Snowmageddon in Feb. of '21. I buried our TJ Jeep in blow sand one time (it was on off-road tires) took her out there on street tires, and pulled it out.

When my wife decided to let her go, this thread was the first thing I thought about. The Surlyites that love their off-road vehicles. If anyone is interested please send me a DM.

Hooptyside.png

Hooptyfront.png

Hooptylockers.png

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Well, Mrs. CHIEF has finally decided to let go of her 4Runner instead of letting it sit unused in my shop. We bought it new from South Point, in Austin, in 2003. It is a bone stock. I was waiting for a Limited, but the sales guy called me when this loaded out Sport model came in. It is one owner, accident free. It has the 4.7 V8, five speed auto, AWD/4LO, has the electric locking axles, leather guts, and a sunroof. The paint is faded on the hood scoop, and has some rock chips.

It has 254k miles on the clock, but has never needed anything other than routine maintenance (oil change, CV axles, timing chain has 54k miles on it). It has things that are wrong with a 20 year old vehicle, seats and dash have cracks from sitting in the sun at work, the above mentioned paint. But, it has easily been the best vehicle we have ever owned. But has been sitting in my shop on and off for about four years. She has been a loaner car for when friends and family needed her.

Since we both love this car dearly, I decided not to make a hunting rig out of it. But I am looking for someone else that would love "Ol' Hoopty" and would give her the proper love and care that she deserves. I would not be afraid to jump in her right now and drive to Fairbanks, AK. I don't think she has it in her to be a daily driver again, but would make for a great second car, or a vehicle for a stay at home mom. It is the most capable vehicle I have ever owned, it was our transportation during Snowmageddon in Feb. of '21. I buried our TJ Jeep in blow sand one time (it was on off-road tires) took her out there on street tires, and pulled it out.

When my wife decided to let her go, this thread was the first thing I thought about. The Surlyites that love their off-road vehicles. If anyone is interested please send me a DM.

Hooptyside.png

Hooptyfront.png

Hooptylockers.png

CHIEF

Awesome. Looks like my 2006 Limited 4x4 V8. Tough decision.

I'm keeping mine until the wheels fall off.

58 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Awesome. Looks like my 2006 Limited 4x4 V8. Tough decision.

I'm keeping mine until the wheels fall off.

Yep. Really tough. But I don't want to see her sit in the shop so long that the seals, bushings, and cv boots dry rot. My Polaris Ranger has taken her place as my daily driver. She will make someone a damn fine vehicle. Someone could restore her to new condition for less than $2500, drive her another 150k miles, and overhaul the engine and drive her another decade or two.

CHIEF

I had a 2003 v8 just like that with almost 300k miles about 4 years ago when we moved to SA. Loved the damn thing but it kept having a habit of intermittent starting issues and we were right in the middle of some lifestyle changes/moves. When it died in me once again in buda, I signed it over to npr’s car drive rather than try to pull the intake manifold and replace the starter in a gas station parking lot. I have no doubt that it would been running just fine for another 150k after the starter but I was just so damn tired at that point.

On 7/17/2023 at 3:37 PM, CHIEF said:

Yep. Really tough. But I don't want to see her sit in the shop so long that the seals, bushings, and cv boots dry rot. My Polaris Ranger has taken her place as my daily driver. She will make someone a damn fine vehicle. Someone could restore her to new condition for less than $2500, drive her another 150k miles, and overhaul the engine and drive her another decade or two.

CHIEF

Mrs. MailRoom and I are looking for something similar for our place in Colorado.  Will shoot you a DM later this evening.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is the best place to ask for honest answers.  

I was saving my 4Runner for a full stock restore once I move out of the concrete jungle but I want to spend the extra insurance $ on her.  

I’m looking for new shocks/struts as that’s definitely something she needs.  I don’t want a lift but leveling would be nice. A lot of what I’m reading leads to the Bilstein 5100 series.  Anyone have experience good or bad?  If I order an assembled kit online how much should I expect to pay to have them installed (who to hire?) or would it be better to find a local dealer? (Their website sucks for finding authorized installers). 

2 minutes ago, SDG said:

I was saving my 4Runner for a full stock restore once I move out of the concrete jungle but I want to spend the extra insurance $ on her.  

I’m looking for new shocks/struts as that’s definitely something she needs.  I don’t want a lift but leveling would be nice. A lot of what I’m reading leads to the Bilstein 5100 series.  Anyone have experience good or bad?  If I order an assembled kit online how much should I expect to pay to have them installed (who to hire?) or would it be better to find a local dealer? (Their website sucks for finding authorized installers). 

My son has them on his single cab Ram 1500 4x4, they are great, especially for the money. We were able to take the leveling kit off the front, and level it with the Bilsteins. When it got to wet at the deer lease, we went to the blind in his truck. Huge ledges, washes, rocks, it didn't have any issues. Rides smooth on the highway as well as off-road. He has about 40k miles in them.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, SDG said:

I'd go OME (old man emu)

24 minutes ago, locodos said:

I'd go OME (old man emu)

OME keeps coming up but I don’t see any non lift options.  Are there OME no lift options?  My sr5 has full running boards that I think would look funny on a lifted truck especially with stock wheels and tire size.  I know it’s weird but I don’t want any visually noticeable upgrades on this vehicle especially after what I went through with the insurance.  Stock vehicles are worth 2x+ their upgraded counterparts (mine has been in AZ for 20 yrs so there’s 0 frame rust). 

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Is that cavalry blue? Those motherfuckers.

I was really disappointed in the color selection when we got our 2021 Landcruiser.  No Cavalry Blue, no Army Green, no Cement.  Just white, black, silver and gray.  I would have loved mine in Army Green.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mittens said:

What's this reveal?  New Land Cruiser?  What happened to killing off that line altogether?

Lexus version only, just discontinued Toyota version in the states. 

MT says this will fit size wise between the 4runner and Sequoia so quite a bit smaller than the last TLC

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-toyota-land-cruiser-future-cars

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:08 PM, SDG said:

SDG, I went with OME shocks and the Bilstein 5100’s and have been happy. This fixed the rear sag issue. I see you don’t want a lift but would like it leveled. A good option for that would be to replace with 99 4Runner highlander springs. This is an original part but they are actually an 1” taller.

I’ll drop a link below that will save a lot of time and include part numbers for suspension etc.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/66976-3rd-gen-4runner-lift-information-faqs.html

• Hook 'Em 1

The new Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser Prado, it’s a smaller version sold overseas. We had a shit pile of them for rolling around in the oilfield when I worked in Kazakhstan. Came with a five speed manual and a turbo diesel. Indestructible naturally. 

I will say I just saw my first TRD Pro Sequoia in the wild (in orange) and it is damn good looking truck.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I will say I just saw my first TRD Pro Sequoia in the wild (in orange) and it is damn good looking truck.

Was it this guy?  Looks pretty good.  Although, has the Sequoia shrunk over the years?  That looks more like a 4Runner to me.

My Whirlwind Romance With the2023 Toyota Sequoia TRD PRO

24 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The way to tell is by how tiny the wheels and tires look. The Sequoia makes them look miniature.

I'm just looking at the rear cargo-area-to-door-size ratio, and it looks much smaller than I recall for the Sequoia, more like a 4Runner to my eye.

But it's only a small picture, too.  Anyway I like the color and the design, looks pretty cool.

On 7/26/2023 at 1:52 PM, Chewbacca said:

I was really disappointed in the color selection when we got our 2021 Landcruiser.  No Cavalry Blue, no Army Green, no Cement.  Just white, black, silver and gray.  I would have loved mine in Army Green.

The army green is cool but with Land Cruisers (I've owned a 71 FJ55, a 94 80, a 97 80 40th Anniversary, and a 2014 200 series) I think it's best to get the most common colors. My 94 was red and the paint just wasn't as good as the gray and white models. The greens just fell apart immediately on the paint front. My 40th Anniversary was the one exception because the sage color on that was absolutely fantastic.

I had a 40th anniversary that held its paint for years. Others not so much. Also had an 83 fj60 and 03 fj100 both of which had to be repainted. Multiple times on the fj60.

Regarding tires on the sequoia, the one I saw was much better proportionally than the old model but I’d still go bigger before driving it. And it’s bigger in real life than I was expecting. Nearly seemed LC sized, just a little skinnier.

But I haven’t been up close to or sat in one. Yet.

21 hours ago, troph said:

My 15 year old wants a Tacoma for his first truck. Man they are pricey. I’m satisfied with his choice so we are starting to look. 

Great choice. Prices are finally dropping back to more sane levels. With the 2024 coming out, maybe you can score a decent deal on a 3rd gen. Keep us posted on the hunt.