Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

7 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Looks like the blue is Heritage Blue, which was an FJ color on the 2014 Trail Teams model. It’s like Cavalry Blue but with a little more gray in it.

Good eye. 

Seven different colors will be available including Black, Ice Cap, Wind Chill Pearl, Underground, Meteor Shower, Trail Dust, and Heritage Blue. Customers can also get a two-tone exterior that features either Trail Dust or Heritage Blue paired with a Grayscape roof

2 hours ago, tx ind said:

When are they going to release what the new 4Runner looks like and more details on it?  If the Landcruiser is really cheaper and smaller will be interesting to see what happens with the 4Runner.

Agreed. LC in three different trims starting with cloth seats at 50K - they're definitely going to cannibalize some 4Runner sales.

It'd be cool if they built a 4Runner with removable roof panels and an exposed roll bar.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Especially in the new era where they create demand.

Saw this on reddit, nice comparison:

9d40f972de04161b378a6ec0320c2554.jpg
1440c400e72e8423a3d25a520ec7c6ec.jpg

Thanks for posting that.  2015 4 Runner here and I'm waiting until the new one to come out and will still wait another year or so.  The Land Cruiser got my attention and I was wondering how it compared.  Looks like the interior cube space is comparable with the LC being slightly bigger.

One big advantage for the 4 Runner over all mid sized SUZ's is the interior cube space.  Granted, most of them are grocery getters but in a lot of cases, it's not close.  I'm curious what the LC cube space comes out as with it being slightly bigger.

Thanks for posting that.  2015 4 Runner here and I'm waiting until the new one to come out and will still wait another year or so.  The Land Cruiser got my attention and I was wondering how it compared.  Looks like the interior cube space is comparable with the LC being slightly bigger.
One big advantage for the 4 Runner over all mid sized SUZ's is the interior cube space.  Granted, most of them are grocery getters but in a lot of cases, it's not close.  I'm curious what the LC cube space comes out as with it being slightly bigger.

Interesting about ground clearance. One would have thought the LC would be at least equal to the 4Runner.

As for me, my 2021 is halfway to paid off. I doubt I will be replacing it anytime soon. Although dealerships keep pestering me.

Just bought a new 4runner. FWIW, the people I talked to at the dealership didn't really know shit about the 4runner update timing, but speculated 2025 model year with a release in late 2024, which aligns with the linked article. I will probably go wait list on day 1 of the release.  One of these in lunar rock please. 

2025-Toyota-4Runner-Front-S-Red.jpg?auto

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Just bought a new 4runner. FWIW, the people I talked to at the dealership didn't really know shit about the 4runner update timing, but speculated 2025 model year with a release in late 2024, which aligns with the linked article. I will probably go wait list on day 1 of the release.  One of these in lunar rock please. 

2025-Toyota-4Runner-Front-S-Red.jpg?auto

You can probably look at all the new 2024 Tacoma info and have a pretty good idea of what the next 4Runner will look like and be spec’d like. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I believe that's just a rendering, but I really like it.  Gonna cannibalize 4R sales, I think.

Depends on the price.  Right now, top end 4Runners max out in the low to mid $50's.  They're saying the LC will start at $55K, which means with any options at all, it'll be $65K to $70K.  That's a price tier higher than the 4 Runner, which is prolly the point.  No one is going to pay $100K for a LC but they may pay $75K and might do without cannibalizing the 4 Runner.

What's also interesting is all the new players in the actual off road space with SUV's.  Toyota's FJ Cruiser was a Jeep competitor and it flamed out after a few years yet we had an onslaught of grocery getters.  Now, we have all the off road SUV's.....

I am probably one of those cannibalized sales.  My last 4R was a Limited. It offered some interior features that made roadtrips a lot more tolerable and the full time AWD was nicer when driving in intermittent snowy conditions. The base LC now appears to offer all that and more at a similar enough price point. It will be interesting watching Toyota try and thread the needle with the new 4R though. Also, what is this in the background of the LC reveal? I assume it is a CUV of some sort?  Toyota has quite a few compelling products coming out.  

screenshot-2023-08-02-at-9-18-22-am-64ca5bc41f10e.jpeg

Edited by topochico

4 door FJ to compete with Bronco? No idea.

I also am still trying to figure out the sequoia role in the line-up. It’s now going to be the biggest and potentially priciest at the TRD fully loaded end. So is it now the full size grocery-getter-in-wolf’s-clothing that the previous LC was?

Either way, I’ll take one of each - taco, 4T, LC and sequoia. And I guess I’ll just go ahead and get a tundra too. All of the lineup is gonna be badass by 2025.

I also am still trying to figure out the sequoia role in the line-up. It’s now going to be the biggest and potentially priciest at the TRD fully loaded end. So is it now the full size grocery-getter-in-wolf’s-clothing that the previous LC was?

The Sequoia is no longer a soccer mom SUV. The 3rd row is now small with shitty leg room due to the hybrid battery under the footwell. They fucked up access to the third row by changing the 2nd row chairs to be tumble seats instead of slides. As a result, you can’t easily access the 3rd row with car seats installed. It’s being positioned as a large off roader first. The new Grand Highlander is the new soccer mom large SUV.

On 8/3/2023 at 2:40 PM, Anastasis said:

How would I get on this waitlist?  I've heard of people doing it for the Bronco, Corvette, etc. but I'm not sure what the process is.  Seems like a no-brainer for the new 4Runner.

31 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The Sequoia is no longer a soccer mom SUV. The 3rd row is now small with shitty leg room due to the hybrid battery under the footwell. They fucked up access to the third row by changing the 2nd row chairs to be tumble seats instead of slides. As a result, you can’t easily access the 3rd row with car seats installed. It’s being positioned as a large off roader first. The new Grand Highlander is the new soccer mom large SUV.

This is what has me a little concerned about both the LC and the 4R moving to a hybrid platform. I love the idea of better fuel economy since the 16 mpg I get in the Tacoma sucks balls. However, the Sequoia rear packaging is terrible due to the hybrid battery placement. Hopefully, the LC/4R will have a more elegant solution. 

2023-toyota-sequoia-limited-030-1654698442.jpeg

How would I get on this waitlist?  I've heard of people doing it for the Bronco, Corvette, etc. but I'm not sure what the process is.  Seems like a no-brainer for the new 4Runner.

It will just be dealer specific on how they handle it. However, Toyota doesn’t do custom orders. At least, not in the traditional sense.

From a Reddit post. It’s from a year ago so the last paragraph is slowly getting better, but the problem still exists:

Toyota does not do custom orders. They utilize an allocation based system where the dealer is allowed to make change requests on assigned incoming units. It’s like ordering, but you’re much more limited in what you can do.

With the allocations, its all based on sales performance. For our example let’s imagine we’re Longo Toyota in California. For this month Toyota is prepared to build 10,000 4Runners for the US. They’ll divide that amount among the different sales regions in the US (SET, GST, Cincinnati, Denver, New York, Portland, LA, SF, etc). Let’s say the LA region gets 1000 of those units. Now those units will get split up among ten sales districts. District 8, which Longo is in, gets 100 units. And then finally that gets split up into the dealer level and Longo gets 10. The bigger the dealer the more they get, the smaller the less they get. It’s not unreasonable to expect some small town dealers to get as little as one or even zero allocations that month.

But wait, what about all the different trim levels? So let’s imagine that 40% of all 4Runners are SR5, 30% TRDOR, 20% Limited, and 10% Pro. If the allocations are divided similarly, then of Longo’s 10 units 4 are SR5, 3 TRDOR, 2 Limited, and 1 Pro. The choices are even further limited once you factor in the deciding packages, colors, and options.

But we don’t just have to accept the choices Toyota assigns to us right? That is correct, but with a huge asterisk. We absolutely cannot change the trim levels themselves. Interior color for whatever reason is possible but has a slim success rate. Packages are also possible but still difficult. Exterior color is easy and so are port installed options.

So in the context of ordering a vehicle from Toyota, we’re banking on the fact that we have an incoming allocation that at least matches the trim level and package. From there we’d hope to make the necessary changes to accommodate the customer request. If we don’t have any matching incoming units, we can take a look at the other dealers allocations and request a trade with them. If no dealers will trade with us, then the last resort is to put you on a waiting list, and put in what’s called a preference request with Toyota and hope they grant it.

The problem is that Toyota can’t just grant all the preference requests. That’s not how their production system is set up. They’re still pulling from a predetermined pool of vehicles. To grant you a unit would likely mean pulling that unit from elsewhere in the pool. So Toyota needs to determine if that would make sense or not.

The problem you’re likely facing now is that these inventory issues have been going since last year and demand has been dramatically increasing. They can’t keep up. So now the wait lists at many of the dealers have been building up. You’ve got dealers promising no markup, but everybody is trying to get on their waitlist and it would be impossible for them to fulfill all those orders. Or you’ve got dealers charging an arm and a leg with no wait list, but who wants to pay that?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Do y'all consider the new American Land Cruiser an actual LC? Cause they have the LC 300 in other markets. What we're getting is the smaller Prado.. I'm really on the fence with it... I'm kinda losing interest in modern Toyotas with their turbo charged mini-engines and hybrids. It kinda eliminates their one selling point - reliability. Thoughts? I haven't looked through too much of this thread.

Do y'all consider the new American Land Cruiser an actual LC? Cause they have the LC 300 in other markets. What we're getting is the smaller Prado.. I'm really on the fence with it... I'm kinda losing interest in modern Toyotas with their turbo charged mini-engines and hybrids. It kinda eliminates their one selling point - reliability. Thoughts? I haven't looked through too much of this thread.

They’re all on the TNGA-F platform anyway, so, yes.

Turbo and hybrid doesn’t inherently limit their reliability at all (I will concede having to replace the battery eventually, but it’s kind of a wear item anyway, just as a timing belt would be).

People keep clamoring that turbos aren’t reliable, but Toyota has been using them in Land Cruisers since the 80s.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orange dream said:

You give them $1k and get a spot on the allocation list. I do not know if they are currently holding spots for the 6g 4R or not since it has not been formally announced, and may not be for some time. 

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It will just be dealer specific on how they handle it. However, Toyota doesn’t do custom orders. At least, not in the traditional sense.

This is correct. You do not get to custom order, you just hold a spot in the allocation list for the particular dealer. It is important that if you do go waitlist that you are working with a high volume dealer. I told them what essentials I wanted. TRD OffRoad Premium in lunar rock, moonroof, OR upgrade package. After ~8 months I was top of the list and they sent me what they had coming in and what options it had. It checked the essential boxes + some fluff shit. The did call me a few other earlier, maybe a month or two in, and said they had a Pro in Solar Octane, which I passed on but maybe should have grabbed. I was picky on color and ORP, but other than not pretty flexible. I think a good portion of my wait time was related to the color selection. 

Let me know if you want a contact for my rep at Cedar Park Toyota. They did ok by me, other than the frustration of the long wait time. I would also look at San Marcos and Boerne for high volume.   

• Like 1

They’re all on the TNGA-F platform anyway, so, yes.

Turbo and hybrid doesn’t inherently limit their reliability at all (I will concede having to replace the battery eventually, but it’s kind of a wear item anyway, just as a timing belt would be).

People keep clamoring that turbos aren’t reliable, but Toyota has been using them in Land Cruisers since the 80s.

Scotty Kilmer disagrees. I have a heritage and that V8 will probably last longer than me. Interesting, I didn't realize they were on the same frame. They are manufactured in Japan still which is fantastic for quality.

Scotty Kilmer disagrees. I have a heritage and that V8 will probably last longer than me. Interesting, I didn't realize they were on the same frame. They are manufactured in Japan still which is fantastic for quality.

I get it, though I’m not a Scotty fan. I just feel differently, and none of the whole turbo/hybrid stuff would preclude me from purchasing one.

The one thing I do wonder is what kinda turbo tech they will use, and who will make it. I assume probably a twin-scroll, likely not VGT or anything. Wastegate design is important, because that is what causes a lot of turbo replacements of the cheap, shitty turbos on small GM and Ford engines. It’s silly because it’s just slop that develops in the linkage.

Looks like the 1VD-FTV diesel V8 in the Aussie cruisers uses an IHI.

I read something (not verified) that they will utilize the Hino plant to build them. That is fantastic news. That plant knows how build trucks, and my FJ was built there.

That allocation stuff is pretty much correct.

My wife worked for the area Toyota distributor for a long time in an IT related role. She was able to get vehicles on an employee program for less than the dealer purchased them. We were able to order vehicles exactly the way we wanted through the same system the dealers used. We would choose a vehicle model and trim level from distributor allocated batch and then choose details like color and options that we wanted. A few months later we would go to a dealer of our choice and pick it up. Was a 15+ year period where we didn’t have to do any of the dealer negotiation dance. Really enjoyed that.

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

You give them $1k and get a spot on the allocation list. I do not know if they are currently holding spots for the 6g 4R or not since it has not been formally announced, and may not be for some time. 

This is correct. You do not get to custom order, you just hold a spot in the allocation list for the particular dealer. It is important that if you do go waitlist that you are working with a high volume dealer. I told them what essentials I wanted. TRD OffRoad Premium in lunar rock, moonroof, OR upgrade package. After ~8 months I was top of the list and they sent me what they had coming in and what options it had. It checked the essential boxes + some fluff shit. The did call me a few other earlier, maybe a month or two in, and said they had a Pro in Solar Octane, which I passed on but maybe should have grabbed. I was picky on color and ORP, but other than not pretty flexible. I think a good portion of my wait time was related to the color selection. 

Let me know if you want a contact for my rep at Cedar Park Toyota. They did ok by me, other than the frustration of the long wait time. I would also look at San Marcos and Boerne for high volume.   

Does this not include the Pro?  I ordered and chose all options from the dealer in 18. Granted, the Pro has like 5 options so maybe that is why?

Which one will people most overpay for year one?  LC TRP Pro or the  upcoming 4Runner TRD Pro?

Does this not include the Pro?  I ordered and chose all options from the dealer in 18. Granted, the Pro has like 5 options so maybe that is why?
Which one will people most overpay for year one?  LC TRP Pro or the  upcoming 4Runner TRD Pro?

The First Edition will be the crazy marked up one for the first model year. Limited to like 500 or something?

LCs traditionally don’t have many options, which seems to be carrying over to this generation with all the features that are standard, which is nice. There isn’t a Pro trim, just a base (1958), higher spec (Land Cruiser), and First Edition.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/3/2023 at 12:16 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

They're quoting the new Land Cruiser in the $50K but just watch, with any sort of add on spiffs, it'll be $70K or more.

$70,000 seems low 

Didn’t the last LC’s Have cramped back seats ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 8/4/2023 at 11:14 PM, Mittens said:

Maybe not as a rule, but I have a friend w/ a Tundra that you damn sure can't buy off a lot and nothing is aftermarket.  It's possible, if not routine.

Are you talking about PIO (port installed options)  These are after market products that Distributors (like SET Southeast Toyota) add to vehicles after manufacture.  They are sold to dealers and on to customers as unmodified, but they have been modified from the factory.  This is how the distributors try to get their hands some of thaatsweet sweet aftermarket cash.

In the SET footprint you could get Yotas from the dealer with BBS wheels, bed liner systems, floormats, superchargers, tow packages etc... and they are infamous for the $75 usb phone cable

Yeah, Gulf States Toyota adds all sorts of shit.

Those “TSS” Tacomas and Tundras are Gulf States’ own thing, not an actual Toyota package.

Before I moved back I swore I would not buy anything that came thru Gulf States again. I waited and got my 01 4Runner without too much junk (vin etching on windows for the win) but it just wasn't worth my effort to get a truck after a ccouple of episodes

I’m amazed Toyota never bought out the master distributors to just go direct in the us. I sold Toyotas in 86 for a brief period in Memphis and Gulf States would really add tons of shit to the vehicles. It is as furing the voluntary import restrictions and we’d only get 3 or 4 Camrys and Cressidas a month, maybe one Supra and a few Celicas. We were loaded with pickups and MR2s. GS would load this cars with all kinds of bullshit that the dealer paid for to get the cars and then jacked the price up even more. It’s a vestige of the late 50’s of how all Japanese companies originally were brought over.

Driver's seat on my 2001 LX470 is getting pretty rough. Anybody have experience with a DIY replacement?

Found this on ebay. Looks right, just no idea what I'm getting into.

About Installation: 

Installation Takes About 60-90 Minutes

Tools Required: 

Snips, Flat Head Screw Driver, Phillips Screw Driver, Socket, Wrench & Drill.

More Information: Actual Replacement Cover, Not A Slip On or Pullover, You will Remove The Old Cover & Then Install the New Cover. 

• 2 weeks later...

@locodos @Anton Chigurh asked my buddy and he didn't know but said he'd look.  Said his truck did come out of Houston - don't know if that makes a difference.  Said the main thing was Limited seats in the TRD.  He's going to look at the paperwork and get back to me.

Dumb Question Amnesty:  I'm on my 3rd Toyota in a row and have had my oil changed, brakes done, etc at Firestone for the last 10ish years.  $145 for an oil change yesterday - I about fell over.  WTF?

Looking at the last 2 work orders:
2016 4Runner - 6.6q 0W-20 synthetic - $115.55 for the oil 
2007 Tacoma - 5.5q 5W-30 synthetic - $63.29 for the oil

Does that look right?  Is that off base or is this just the world I live in now?  

Finally took the hard top off the Bronco because my kids wanted it off to drive around in. Think I’m going to order a soft top and roll with it until it cools off. My oldest thinks she’s getting it when she graduates, so I’m going to see what the time frame is on a Raptor order just to see.

IMG_0556.thumb.jpeg.dc99e24ced4920e4e9e4a0c164c819b2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=7547]locodos[/mention] [mention=25]Anton Chigurh[/mention] asked my buddy and he didn't know but said he'd look.  Said his truck did come out of Houston - don't know if that makes a difference.  Said the main thing was Limited seats in the TRD.  He's going to look at the paperwork and get back to me.

Dumb Question Amnesty:  I'm on my 3rd Toyota in a row and have had my oil changed, brakes done, etc at Firestone for the last 10ish years.  $145 for an oil change yesterday - I about fell over.  WTF?
Looking at the last 2 work orders:
2016 4Runner - 6.6q 0W-20 synthetic - $115.55 for the oil 
2007 Tacoma - 5.5q 5W-30 synthetic - $63.29 for the oil
Does that look right?  Is that off base or is this just the world I live in now?  

I use Firestone on mine as I use their lifetime alignment and they’re open on weekends and have 0% interest on tires and repairs. You have to go to their website for the monthly coupons but they always have oil change coupons. And at mine the manager will always make a deal since I’m a regular.

Finally took the hard top off the Bronco because my kids wanted it off to drive around in. Think I’m going to order a soft top and roll with it until it cools off. My oldest thinks she’s getting it when she graduates, so I’m going to see what the time frame is on a Raptor order just to see.
IMG_0556.thumb.jpeg.dc99e24ced4920e4e9e4a0c164c819b2.jpeg
The Bronco Raptors look ridiculous. Don't do that.