Formula 1 2021

wood

23 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Checo was in Dallas over the weekend for the Red Bull show.  looked like he had a good time and had lots of Mexican national supporters.

Do you think F1 and Pirelli charged Checo an extra set of softs for that stunt? :)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

To paraphrase Kirk Herbstreit-- Reddit is a cesspool.  

The very best posters on Reddit, make the very worst and most insufferable surlyhorns posters from the Cloak Room, look like mental giants by comparison.

Yeah all I do on reddit is F1. I've heard stories about the infamous cfb sub. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

r/formula was good 5+ years ago. No longer. There’s over a million people in it now, so you can imagine the average person’s knowledge about everything.

Oh god, the artwork that people post. Some is good, no doubt. But so much is on Napoleon Dynamite's level.

"I drew this picture of Max Verstappen. It took me like an hour to get the shading on the upper lip."

spacer.png

(Honestly, this Max picture that someone did as a joke is fucking hilarious. But the stuff that people post thinking it's good is... whew.)

58 minutes ago, wood said:

The anti-Texas reddit/cfb moronbs are up in arms over the girl posting the McLaren HookEm poster. Go do work ...

TIL the USGP is held in Utah evidently. 

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That's one of the great things about that picture.  The desert landscape (could be West Texas, to be fair), Danny throwing the hook'em, the three jets with USA smoke flying (and circling around Lando's neck apparently), the American flag over DannyRic's shoulder, and above all-- the Eagle.  Because 'Murica!

That poster is just pure brilliance.

Edited by utee94

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

That's one of the great things about that picture.  The desert landscape (could be West Texas, to be fair), Danny throwing the hook'em, the three jets with USA smoke flying (and circling around Lando's neck apparently), the American flag over DannyRic's shoulder, and above all-- the Eagle.  Because 'Murica!

That poster is just pure brilliance.

haha The "jets" look like B-17's.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Are you aeroET on reddit?

BTW,t he girl who drew it said "I was inspired by west Texas especially Palo Duro Canyon etc. I just love these landscapes, didn’t particularly draw Austin landscape that’s for sure, just some Texan freedom vibes :)"

It does look like Palo Duro...

Edited by wood

42 minutes ago, wood said:

Are you aeroET on reddit?

BTW,t he girl who drew it said "I was inspired by west Texas especially Palo Duro Canyon etc. I just love these landscapes, didn’t particularly draw Austin landscape that’s for sure, just some Texan freedom vibes :)"

It does look like Palo Duro...

She's got talent, that was some beautiful artwork.

Seriously, I'd buy a print of that.  Even my aggie wife loved it.  She really likes Ricciardo, and tolerates how much love he gives to the Horns. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

With a couple of exceptions the current crop of F1 drivers just seem likeable.

That's a big part of what drew me to the sport.  I think Mazepin is the only dick in the paddock that I have noticed.  Everyone else seems pretty chill.  They race hard, but they're not assholes.  

Flew into Austin last night with a big crew from the McLaren team. Whipped their asses with talk of the Netflix Formula 1 special. Would have thought they would be beaten down by it by now, but they were pretty excited how much it’s helped the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Question For people who’ve been to COTA in previous years. I’m holding some 3-day GA passes for friends getting into town later this week but some won’t be around for Friday. Is there a way I Can let someone else use their passes for Friday without running the risk of the actual ticket holder not getting in on Saturday/Sunday. 

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Question For people who’ve been to COTA in previous years. I’m holding some 3-day GA passes for friends getting into town later this week but some won’t be around for Friday. Is there a way I Can let someone else use their passes for Friday without running the risk of the actual ticket holder not getting in on Saturday/Sunday. 

As long as the tickets get issued the same way and seated tickets, you should be able to open the COTA App and transfer just that day to whoever you want.  

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Are they wristbands?  If so, the point of the wristband is that it stays on the wrist of the original owner, to counter fraud.

This doesn't mean people can't or don't transfer wristbands, of course.

Yep. Just don't cinch it down when you put it on. Leave it loose, & then you can slip it on/off.

Is that something you bought? Or were you just pricing it out? That's ridiculous. I love F1, but it ain't worth that. But I am a cheapskate. The most I'd pay to watch a race is likely $125. Maybe a bit more if my seats were right on the start/finish line.

I like the main grandstands for watching practice and qualy.  You'll have a good view of the pits, and you have jumbotrons to watch other on-course action.

Normally your closest PSL hospitality area for the main grandstands would be the Velocity Lounge, right there in the concourse of the main grandstands.  However, right now, there is some question about whether it's going to be open and available due to COVID.  And if it is, whether or not they'll require proof of negative COVID test in order to use it.  My belief is that they've left the wording on the tickets as "PSL Tent Access" on purpose so they're not committed to letting us use Velocity Lounge.  So your other options for PSL hospitality areas, are the Turn! tent, way up the hill, or the Turn 15 tent, way around the track.  But there are still plenty of food/beverage vendors by the main grandstands, even without Velocity Lounge access.  That's just a nice place to get into some A/C on a hot day.

Turn 12 is a superior place to watch the actual race, IMO, so you're golden there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, McCroskey said:

I am fucking jacked.  Sunday only tickets but that's all we could manage.   I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

Getting in and especially out will be a mess, just be patient.  The experience itself is a lot of fun.  

leaving after 2019 from joe o's parking we exited SE on 812, went S on peterson, and came back W to 130 on hokanson and it was pretty quick.

back in lot j this year and i'm kinda dreading the drive back.  often used to be 3 hours as you'd get to 71 (finally), be forced to go east, and then have to U-turn near the mcdonalds.   

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is that something you bought? Or were you just pricing it out? That's ridiculous. I love F1, but it ain't worth that. But I am a cheapskate. The most I'd pay to watch a race is likely $125. Maybe a bit more if my seats were right on the start/finish line.

Just pricing, but still insane. 

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Did you respond 

spacer.png

LOL, exactly. Fucking unreal that some people will pay such outrageous prices for random sporting events. This ain't the 2006 Rose Bowl FFS. And I blame the silly fuckers that do pay ridiculous prices for driving up the market in general. And the internet, of course.

The main reason why I’m going only tomorrow is that on Saturday/Sunday it’s too crowded. I went to F1 Friday several years ago at COTA and it was actually pretty easy to pay to park on someone’s lawn, walk, get in, find a decent place to sit on the ground, watch the cars and especially hear the sounds, hang out for a while, get out, go home. That was several years ago. I don’t know how much more crowded it will be tomorrow. And thinking, and hoping, that all the new batch of F1 “drive to survive” fans will pile up on Sunday for the actual thing and ignore tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The main reason why I’m going only tomorrow is that on Saturday/Sunday it’s too crowded. I went to F1 Friday several years ago at COTA and it was actually pretty easy to pay to park on someone’s lawn, walk, get in, find a decent place to sit on the ground, watch the cars and especially hear the sounds, hang out for a while, get out, go home. That was several years ago. I don’t know how much more crowded it will be tomorrow. And thinking, and hoping, that all the new batch of F1 “drive to survive” fans will pile up on Sunday for the actual thing and ignore tomorrow.

It won;t be nearly as big as Epstein claims, but with all the pent-up demand, Netflix, etc, it's going to be big ... which is exactly why I also won't be there Sat or Sun. That and the ridiculous cost. Just can't justify that.

Prime spots in the RV Lot filled up faster than ever before.  Friday will be the biggest it's been since the first year or two.  Still smaller than Sat/Sun of course, but this is not going to be the sleepy F1 weekend we've experienced the past couple races.

I just walked the track, there's WAY more stuff (concessions, bathrooms, vendors) than there have been since the first couple of years, all over, all the way out to T11. They're clearly expecting a huge crowd.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mackavelli said:

How realistic is the walk from Grandstand to Biergarten?   or Turn 12?  Trying to take my German dad over there and deciding between Saturday and Sunday

From that map, it looks like the Biergarten is at T1 which is close to the main grandstand.  T-12 from the main grandstand is a bit of a hike.  But, they do have shuttles between the two. About to head out now to do the grid walk with my 2 year old...bless me.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

From that map, it looks like the Biergarten is at T1 which is close to the main grandstand.  T-12 from the main grandstand is a bit of a hike.  But, they do have shuttles between the two. About to head out now to do the grid walk with my 2 year old...bless me.

Post some pics!