Formula 1 2021

wood

22 minutes ago, elfenix said:
3 hours ago, wood said:
Yeah that would be a lot lol, esp since they've never had that many even on a race day. Maybe 50K today in reality. But COTA gonna COTA.

It's tickets sold and it's always tickets sold at every sporting event.

So you mean like counting a 3-day GA pass as three days of attendance even when the owner only used it to go to a concert or one day of racing? Yeah, I've been saying for a couple of years that they do that, but they didn't before the last couple of years. Otherwise the single day numbers would have been very close to each other, but they weren't. Friday has always been in the 40-60K range when they've announced it. I mean, at these prices they didn't sell 125K tickets just for today, with more than half of them no-shows.

Did you send your own in and have him mod it or just new from scratch?   Turn around time?   He makes some awesome stuff. Always wanted to pick one up. 
I did new from scratch. Just sourced the parts and used martinez-Hood watches to assemble. Fun to find the parts, have an expert assemble and then show out.
  • Like 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:
24 minutes ago, wood said:
Danny, after FP2 today: "It’s just good to be back in Texas. The great state that is Texas. I’m Australian by birth, Texan by the good grace of God!”

All the other drivers were doing things all around the US this week. Pretty sure Danny spent the week in Austin.

Yep. Doesn't Lewis pretty much live in LA when he's not in Monaco? I know Button lives there now.

Yep. Doesn't Lewis pretty much live in LA when he's not in Monaco? I know Button lives there now.
Danny has a house in LA, too. Not sure he visited it this week. Between his IG and sightings of him on reddit, it looked like he's been in Austin since at least Monday.

Lewis spends a lot of time in Beaver Creek in the winter. Has a big house there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Charles Leclerc fell foul of the myriad restrictions on global travel on his way to Austin, when an official at Nice airport failed to understand the documentation had that permitted him to fly to the US. At the moment, Europeans are not allowed to travel to the US and everyone who is attending the US Grand Prix is doing so having been granted what is known as a National Interest Exemption (NIE).

Leclerc explained: "It was just one guy at the airport of Nice who just did not know what an NIE was. He only realised one minute before closing the flight that the NIE was OK but but I didn’t have my passenger locator forms."

The result was that Leclerc had to change his flights - and make an impromptu stopover in New York. Not the worst outcome in the world - Leclerc, who revealed that his favourite place in the US is Los Angeles, described his first experience of the Big Apple as “incredible”. And he also managed to fit in a trip to Milwaukee and watch the opening match of the NBA season.

1 hour ago, RamjetFDO said:

Lol at the teams and announcers thinking that cloud might mean rain.

Told my wife: These teams should hire me as a consultant to tell them it's not going to rain. They showed a wide-view shot of the sky from the helicopter, followed by the radio message about "if rain comes, it will impact Turn 1 first." Anyone who has lived here for a year knows that we weren't going to get jack.

I got about 5 rain drops
At turn 9 right at the end of qualifying

This place is packed and somewhat of shitshow of course. I’ve come here pretty much every year except one. If I come again it will only be on Friday

And I was a dumbass and didn’t drive and park like I normally do. Took the shuttle from Barton creek which sucked getting here. Will leave after one more beer, hopefully it will be better

• Hook 'Em 1

Back home after a long day. Totally cool to see practice and qualifying. I was really impressed with Yuki today - his driving was very efficient and under control. Mazeaspin continues to be a disaster waiting to happen. One thing that stood out to me was how different the Mercs sound - almost guttural like a hot rod running jet fuel with straight pipes.

COTA is a total cluster. I asked 4 people for directions today and none of them had the first clue. We ended up having to double back all the way across the track after qualifying because our route to lot L was blocked by concert set up. No one could offer a solution other than return to the main entrance leaving us to walk the entire perimeter to get back to our parking spot.

We didn’t even bother with waiting in food or drink lines it was so crowded. We did manage to somehow score a free Lando hoodie though … so that was nice.

Overall had a really good time and enjoyed watching the action with my kiddo but don’t see us being in any rush to get back to COTA. Maybe the race in Canada will be our next adventure.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

Back home after a long day. Totally cool to see practice and qualifying. I was really impressed with Yuki today - his driving was very efficient and under control. Mazeaspin continues to be a disaster waiting to happen. One thing that stood out to me was how different the Mercs sound - almost guttural like a hot rod running jet fuel with straight pipes.

COTA is a total cluster. I asked 4 people for directions today and none of them had the first clue. We ended up having to double back all the way across the track after qualifying because our route to lot L was blocked by concert set up. No one could offer a solution other than return to the main entrance leaving us to walk the entire perimeter to get back to our parking spot.

We didn’t even bother with waiting in food or drink lines it was so crowded. We did manage to somehow score a free Lando hoodie though … so that was nice.

Overall had a really good time and enjoyed watching the action with my kiddo but don’t see us being in any rush to get back to COTA. Maybe the race in Canada will be our next adventure.

That's some fucked up shit. And it's one of the worst things they do imho - closing off access to parts of the track without publicizing any info about it before or even during the event. That's the first time the stage has blocked access down the back straight. And that's a long fucking walk. Getting all the way to the stage & having to turn around and go back is not cool. 

And yeah. You won't regret a trip to Montreal. Far from it.

Edited by wood
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, mackavelli said:

Had a blast in Grandstand today. Qualy was great. Parking sucked in lot T getting out.
f632c3b826caa461688e94d47774e272.jpg

Agreed regarding the Main Grandstand, we were in mezz 17A (across from Ferrari) yesterday for practice and had a great time.  Unfortunately we entered and had to leave through the turn 11 gate.

Montreal is a must for any North American F1 fan. It’s night and day from COTA.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/23/2021 at 8:07 AM, Chewbacca said:

Danny has a house in LA, too. Not sure he visited it this week. Between his IG and sightings of him on reddit, it looked like he's been in Austin since at least Monday.

Lewis spends a lot of time in Beaver Creek in the winter. Has a big house there.

Domiciled in Switzerland, lives in New York, Colorado, spends time in LA..... pays taxes in Isle of Man.  must be nice.

• Like 1

Texas Motor Speedway was also an absolute shitshow to leave from when it first opened.  I think they finally built another road out to relieve the pressure.  I went with a friend's family a few times at the start  and remember sitting in the parking lot for a couple of hours after the races.

Edited by kevwun

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Texas Motor Speedway was also an absolute shitshow to leave from when it first opened.  I think they finally built another road out to relieve the pressure.  I went with a friend's family a few times at the start  and remember sitting in the parking lot for a couple of hours after the races.

The first race at TMS 114 was backed up for 10 miles in both directions. I-35 was worse. It took a couple of years but they finally got their shit together. With the fall off in fans, it really hasn't been a traffic issue for several years.