Formula 1 2021

wood

Picked a great year to start following the sport, and assume most years will be a disappointment. This thread reads like most in any sport where people try act like they’re objective, but look anything but. 

I really did think there couldn’t be any douchery poster than the soccer snob, who’s been watching longer than anyone and has real reasons for supporting his team unlike the newbie bandwagoners but it seems like the “I’ve been watching F1 guy since…” beats them out by a good margin lol.  

The season results are sometimes disappointing and predictable but most of the time the race weekends are exciting and the drama surrounding them is juicy. Every couple of years you’ll get a real nice battle between teams or teammates and every so often you’ll get a once in a decade fight that people talk about for years. This season was one of those.

Stick around and enjoy the spectacle. I recommend trying F1TV and checking out some older races. If you torrent there’s a mega file with every race from every season dating back to 78 or so.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So according to the Redditz, Mercedes is DMing people that tweeted out videos of Toto drunk last night asking for their email addresses to contact them about it.

A lot of people think Toto is on the hot seat now, after their strategery snafu. Those crowd-surfing vids probably aren't sitting well with Toto.

So here’s a newbie question and feel free to attack me. 

How do you root long term? Do you stay faithful to the team or the driver? Can you change teams  if/when your driver switches? It seems more clear cut when teams have many more players. But in many ways, the main driver IS the team that I’ve been able to see. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Incredible finish to the season.  Trying to get a suite for Miami.  Absolutely insane how much demand is there.  Apparently the teams took entire allotment which never happens.  I love Montreal and want to hit Austin but Miami will be the ultimate in North America.  Already have the countdown started.  

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
34 minutes ago, wood said:
Great comeback. You obviously know you're completely full of shit. You have nothing at all for me. 

I've got nothing for a delusional person. You have that right.

Yeah ok bro. If you actually had something, you wouldn't need to incessantly make up bullshit talking points.

3 minutes ago, pied06 said:

How do you root long term? Do you stay faithful to the team or the driver? Can you change teams  if/when your driver switches? It seems more clear cut when teams have many more players. But in many ways, the main driver IS the team that I’ve been able to see. 

It's all up to you, brother. Some people pull strictly for teams, regardless of who drives for them. Some just for certain drivers. I think many are a mix of both.

• Hook 'Em 1

Depends on the person, but most are a little of both.

I was a Lewis fan but then obv became a Mercedes fan when he went there, and I like how they do their race debriefs and other videos on their YouTube channel. They look like the empire sometimes, but it’s a very well-run culture over there.

Tifosi (Ferrari fans) are crazy, but they are passionate for sure.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
6 minutes ago, wood said:
Congrats, little man. Never felt the need to measure over here ...

Holy shit, you're insufferable.

LOL. says the guy who can't have an honest discussion...

Cry some more. I need more tears.

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Incredible finish to the season.  Trying to get a suite for Miami.  Absolutely insane how much demand is there.  Apparently the teams took entire allotment which never happens.  I love Montreal and want to hit Austin but Miami will be the ultimate in North America.  Already have the countdown started.  

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You can have multiple favorites of drivers and teams if it suits your fancy. I’m a McLaren fan and my favorite driver (Daniel) just happens to drive for them. Daniel leveled up to my favorite after Fernando left briefly. Fernando became my favorite driver while he was at Ferrari of all places because he can take an absolute donkey and give you second place with it, unless it’s a McLaren Honda.

But I will always root for McLaren above all things. Read about Bruce and see if you don’t find yourself wearing papaya next year.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It'll be fun, for sure, at least the first year, but it's a pretty big ask for Miami to regularly beat out Canada in terms of a great GP in a city that truly embraces and celebrates F1 for an entire GP Week. Montreal is amazing that week. 

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You can have multiple favorites of drivers and teams if it suits your fancy. I’m a McLaren fan and my favorite driver (Daniel) just happens to drive for them. Daniel leveled up to my favorite after Fernando left briefly. Fernando became my favorite driver while he was at Ferrari of all places because he can take an absolute donkey and give you second place with it, unless it’s a McLaren Honda.

But I will always root for McLaren above all things. Read about Bruce and see if you don’t find yourself wearing papaya next year.

Yep, Alonso was incredible at Ferrari. Even he says those were his best performances - not the 2 WDC years.

Edited by wood

When Hamilton retires, I’ll bump Lando up. I started following him when he was in F2. I hope the pressure and shitty last 5 races or so don’t get to him. He’s a damn good driver.

I’ll still be a Merc fan. The way the operate is awesome to me. With Russel being there, I’ll pull for him as well.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wood said:

I didn't call you a bitch, I alluded to you arguing like a bitch. Constantly making up bullshit, telling me what I really think, putting words in my mouth, etc. You know. Like a bitch. I think I said the way you were acting, you must be a chick. Sounds pretty accurate to me. 

And yeah, you're really covering yourself in glory by calling me unstable for calling out your idiotic shit. So you know ... go fuck yourself.

Man... I think the first person on here to start telling people to shut the fuck up was you. 99% of the posters on this thread were looking for an honest conclusion to a great season of racing and didn't find it - and as has been discussed most don't have a dog in the fight. Pushing the meme pics & tears narrative is fucking weak. Try harder. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

When Hamilton retires, I’ll bump Lando up. I started following him when he was in F2. I hope the pressure and shitty last 5 races or so don’t get to him. He’s a damn good driver.

I’ll still be a Merc fan. The way the operate is awesome to me. With Russel being there, I’ll pull for him as well.

He's pretty damn funny on Twitch too. Would love to see him get to the top. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vicerous said:

Man... I think the first person on here to start telling people to shut the fuck up was you. 99% of the posters on this thread were looking for an honest conclusion to a great season of racing and didn't find it - and as has been discussed most don't have a dog in the fight. Pushing the meme pics & tears narrative is fucking weak. Try harder. 

I told people to stfu when they said dishonest and/or patently idiotic bullshit. Not when they came with a serious, genuine argument or comment grounded in reality. 

And that one Southpark pic got under your skin? And you call it weak? LOL. That's weak. There are million memes out there along those lines, and I posted one. You couldn't hang at all on some other boards. Lewis is getting a free ride here compared to a couple of bords I know.

What's funny is you never said shit about shit until Lewis came under fire here.

Edited by wood

5 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Lando will be fine. Under that goofball persona is someone very serious about racing and improving. He very well could have had two race wins this season. Reset during the off-season and learn from the mistakes.

Kid is an awesome, awesome talent. 

3 minutes ago, deft said:

You looois Stans excited he's getting his fellow countryman as a teammate next year?  GR looked pretty good in the W11 last year subbing for LH.  I'll be excited to see what he can do out of that Williams shitbox.

It''ll surely be interesting to watch. A lot of people are saying George will be quicker, etc. Not so sure about that, but I guess I wouldn't rule it out, either. He is damn quick.

You looois Stans excited he's getting his fellow countryman as a teammate next year?  GR looked pretty good in the W11 last year subbing for LH.  I'll be excited to see what he can do out of that Williams shitbox.

Yes. I like George. The Imola incident made a poor impression, but he will mature.

He needs to work on his race pace, but he’s a great qualifier, obviously.

3 hours ago, naija said:

yeah, false.

followed for longer than I've been in the US. G650 maybe longer? to say that none of the Lewis Hamilton hate has to do with who he is, is false.

I've followed Formula 1 since the 80s.  Lots of people have disliked Lewis over the decades for WHO he is, because WHO he is, is a driver that was a petulant, arrogant, dickface.  There's no argument there, he absolutely was.

Any other agenda you want to drive is probably out of place on this forum of this website.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

What the sport absolutely needs is a healthy, competitive Ferrari team. They have the drivers and it seems the leadership is starting to come around so hopefully they’re a little more consistent.

If we can get McLaren-Ferrari fighting for the WCC again the ratings would be stratospheric.

Yeah I've been telling my kid all season that Ferrari is on the rise, and look out for them next year. Seems like there's some good mojo there.

35 minutes ago, wood said:

I told people to stfu when they said dishonest and/or patently idiotic bullshit. Not when they came with a serious, genuine argument or comment grounded in reality. 

And that one Southpark pic got under your skin? And you call it weak? LOL. That's weak. There are million memes out there along those lines, and I posted one. You couldn't hang at all on some other boards. Lewis is getting a free ride here compared to a couple of bords I know.

What's funny is you never said shit about shit until Lewis came under fire here.

Keep those boards to yourself bud, whatever you wanna do in private is alright by me.

I said more than my share on the old Shag thread - It was a lot harder being a Lewis fan back then. The truth of it is I stopped smoking last month and I'm fucking bored so here we are again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Betty Blackwell said:

It’s like any other sport — you root against the Germans. 

Finally, someone making a rational argument. 🤣      I just happen to go the other way with that. I root for the Germans and that is why I have trouble with Englishman Hamilton in a Mercedes.

The wee bit of Irish in me says I can’t root for an Englishman. I would have loved Vettel in the Mercedes. And I hope VW/Audi/Porsche teams up with RedBull.

Makes sense, to me at least.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Finally, someone making a rational argument. 🤣      I just happen to go the other way with that. I root for the Germans and that is why I have trouble with Englishman Hamilton in a Mercedes.

The wee bit of Irish in me says I can’t root for an Englishman. I would have loved Vettel in the Mercedes. And I hope VW/Audi/Porsche teams up with RedBull.

Makes sense, to me at least.

I actually think there's a decent chance that happens.

12 minutes ago, vicerous said:

Keep those boards to yourself bud, whatever you wanna do in private is alright by me.

I said more than my share on the old Shag thread - It was a lot harder being a Lewis fan back then. The truth of it is I stopped smoking last month and I'm fucking bored so here we are again. 

Dude, congrats re: stopping smoking. Seriously. I know it really sucks now, but you won't regret that move in the long run.

7 hours ago, pied06 said:

Man, it's F1, there are no rules. Cheer for what tickles your fancy and enjoy it.

As a very old fan, I actually am pretty invigorated by all the new fans and perspectives, so I'm happy to have you along

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

And I hope VW/Audi/Porsche teams up with RedBull.

Oh my God, Porsche, Horner, Verstappen and Red Bull? That would be like a hate death star for me lol.  I would support adding a Vulcan cannon in the nose to the sporting regs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pied06 said:

Watch Drive to Survive. There is a lot more to root for beyond the individual driver. I know there is heavy editing involved, but seeing each team and driver fight for every advantage whether you're first or fifteenth on the grid has made it a lot more fun. Nobody is safe in F1. Drivers are always a few bad races away from losing their seat. Team principles are under tremendous pressure to find financial backing and to move up the ladder from back marker to mid-level or up from mid-level to fighting for podiums. 

• Hook 'Em 1