2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Lakers about to make a huge offer for KL ?

I think so..... we need someone to offer Randle, although now I think they let him go, but I think having all the power dispersed still gives us great leverage.

Lakers -- Lebron doesn't want to play alone and guys like Capela, Gordon, or even Boogie aren't going to move the needle vs GSW or even Houston.

Sixers -- Struck out with Lebron.  They only guy in play (that we know of) who can help them catch the Celtics is Kawhi.  They are more motivated IMO.

Celtics. -- Got play keep away.  They don't have to make a move but if Kawhi goes to the Sixers without giving up Simmons or Joel, then Philly may have caught up to them are made the difference razor thin.  If they can keep a top 10 player out of Philly's hands, then they should do it..... within reason.

Clippers, Nuggets, Suns, Heat, etc are just vultures at this point....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I like what the Sixers can offer much, much better. Plus it's not the fuckstick Lakers.

Make no mistake, the Lakers have the most to give especially if they can leverage something into getting another first round pick.  Realistically, I think the best to worst assets to offer flow:

Boston

LA

Philly

Philly may simply be the ones to offer us the most while the Lakers, foolishly IMO, will try and take the cheap way out.....

56 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The Lebron signing just upped the price for KL

Actually I think it just went down. Philly before could bid for KL thinking it would get LeBron to sign with them which in turn gives Kawhi more incentive to stay. Now Kawhi has even more reason to go to LA after the coming season. Spurs lost leverage with what happened today. They can still ask for more from the Lakers but they will now get lesser offers from other teams. Lakers would also be more confident with just signing him next summer seeing as they have LeBron locked up for 4 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

Actually I think it just went down. Philly before could bid for KL thinking it would get LeBron to sign with them which in turn gives Kawhi more incentive to stay. Now Kawhi has even more reason to go to LA after the coming season. Spurs lost leverage with what happened today. They can still ask for more from the Lakers but they will now get lesser offers from other teams. Lakers would also be more confident with just signing him next summer seeing as they have LeBron locked up for 4 years.

Disagree...... Lebron was always expected to go to LA.   Don't think it affects our leverage at all....

Former SAEN colleague is saying on FB that rumors he’s hearing that what the Lakers are offering for Kawhi has gotten lower post LeBron and that Kuzma is no longer included. Another reply on there is from somebody I don’t know. He said he’s seen where Kawhi has said he’s willing to sit out the year if necessary. I can’t believe that though.

12 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Disagree...... Lebron was always expected to go to LA.   Don't think it affects our leverage at all....

It doesn't change it much with regard to LA but I don't see any bidding war happening between Philly and Boston now for him. Philly knows now that their LeBron pipedream is over and they are only getting a one year rental and Boston has no Sixer superteam to worry about so will prob just stay out of it now. Sure they might just offer Brown straight up but I doubt Ainge would offer much more then that. 

Edited by Surlybastard

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Former SAEN colleague is saying on FB that rumors he’s hearing that what the Lakers are offering for Kawhi has gotten lower post LeBron and that Kuzma is no longer included. Another reply on there is from somebody I don’t know. He said he’s seen where Kawhi has said he’s willing to sit out the year if necessary. I can’t believe that though.

I think Klutch is going to put out a lot of things..... a lot of scorched earth threats.  Hopefully PATFO just works through it and gets the best possible deal.  I don't think anything has changed from Uncle Dennis', I mean Jabari Young's tweet earlier.  He'd strongly consider staying in Philly if they offer the most..... one big poker game. 

3 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

It doesn't change it much with regard to LA but I don't see any bidding war happening between Philly and Boston now for him. Philly knows now that their LeBron pipedream is over and they are only getting a one year rental and Boston has no Sixer superteam to worry about so will prob just stay out of it now. Sure they might just offer Brown straight up but I doubt Ainge would offer more then that.

Wasn't that the Paul George strategy???  How'd that work out?  Such short memories....

• Like 1

I think it definitely negates a lot of urgency the Lakers may have felt to get Kawhi, and probably ends any thoughts about that 'godfather' offer that gets us to move KL.

That said, I'm pretty sure Pop/RC's preference was to keep Kawhi and try to make it work -- improbable as that may be -- so I don't think this changes things too much on their end.

22 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

That said, I'm pretty sure Pop/RC's preference was to keep Kawhi and try to make it work -- improbable as that may be -- so I don't think this changes things too much on their end.

I think that ship's done sailed.

23 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Still waiting for this pussy to man up and tell us face to face that he wants to leave. 

Unless he's been cleared by the Spurs to seek a trade, It's technically against league rules for him or his agent to say anything publicly without risking a fine. That's why these things are always done by 'sources' and the like. His silence speaks volumes.

Unless he's been cleared by the Spurs to seek a trade, It's technically against league rules for him or his agent to say anything publicly without risking a fine. That's why these things are always done by 'sources' and the like. His silence speaks volumes.

There is absolutely nothing stopping Kawhi from saying publicly that he no longer wishes to play for you anymore and has asked to be traded.

I'm pretty sure it has, but I'm just not sure that Pop/RC agree.
They were listening to offers, but not actively shopping him. As ridiculous as it seems, they think they can him.

Believe me. PATFO know exactly where things stand.

The only logical destination in the East is now Philly. Why would Boston need Kawhi? The Celtics can essentially sleep walk their way into the finals with or without a healthy roster they have the blend of young talent and veteran players to easily control the East at this point. The Celtics wrecked the 76ers 4-1 without Kyrie and Hayward. The pressure is on Philly to acquire Kawhi, the Lakers won't offer much when they can sit back a year and sign Kawhi without surrendering any assets. The Spurs wouldn't even be in this situation if it wasn't for Kawhi's fuck stick of an uncle.

14 minutes ago, C-Man said:

There is absolutely nothing stopping Kawhi from saying publicly that he no longer wishes to play for you anymore and has asked to be traded.

Nate Robinson fined in 2009 after trade demand made by his agent.

Rudy Fernandez fined in 2010 after publicly demanding a trade.

Maybe it's not a fine anymore in Silver's NBA, but it was considered 'Public Statements Detrimental to the NBA' under David Stern.

The only logical destination in the East is now Philly. Why would Boston need Kawhi?The Celtics can essentially sleep walk their way into the finals with or without a healthy roster they have the blend of young talent and veteran players to easily control the East at this point. The Celtics wrecked the 76ers 4-1 without Kyrie and Hayward. The pressure is on Philly to acquire Kawhi, the Lakers won't offer much when they can sit back a year and sign Kawhi without surrendering any assets.The Spurs wouldn't even be in this situation if it wasn't for Kawhi's fuck stick of an uncle.

Kawhi IMO makes the Celtics better than GS next year depending on what they have to give up (thinking Jaylen Brown).

And how did that strategy work out with Paul George? A lot can happen in 12 months.

Nate Robinson fined in 2009 after trade demand made by his agent.
Rudy Fernandez fined in 2010 after publicly demanding a trade.
Maybe it's not a fine anymore in Silver's NBA, but it was considered 'Public Statements Detrimental to the NBA' under David Stern.

You got me. Didn’t remember those situations. If that’s a rule, it’s pretty silly.

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

The only logical destination in the East is now Philly. Why would Boston need Kawhi? The Celtics can essentially sleep walk their way into the finals with or without a healthy roster they have the blend of young talent and veteran players to easily control the East at this point. The Celtics wrecked the 76ers 4-1 without Kyrie and Hayward. The pressure is on Philly to acquire Kawhi, the Lakers won't offer much when they can sit back a year and sign Kawhi without surrendering any assets. The Spurs wouldn't even be in this situation if it wasn't for Kawhi's fuck stick of an uncle.

If Boston wanted to keep Kawhi away from Philly, they have the assets to move for him..... better than Philly's, but I agree Philly needs him much more.  I think Boston's there to fuck with folks and drive up the price. Also, Philly may not have the cap room to go after a max contract next offseason.  Depends on what they do with Redick and any other moves they make but they have to blow their load this summer or next b/c after Simmons will be a RFA and they'll have to operate as value buyers.  So if they sign a bunch of 1 year contract guys the rest of the summer, they may be able to arm themselves next summer, but it's easier this summer where they have very little extraneous salary except for Bayless.  They need to take their shot here soon, it's why Brett Brown said they were going star hunting....

As far as the Lakers..... if they want to basically fuck around this year, they could sit and wait for Kawhi.  Lebron would be 35 by the time 2020 rolls around though.  Also of note, Paul George was in the same situation and shit happens.  They don't have to do anything, I guess, but they probably learned their lesson from last year.  I mean what happens if Kawhi gets hurt in Philly.... then they wasted one of Lebron's last prime years waiting around for nothing.  It's a dubious situation.  Push your chips in and get better this year.... you just made your godfather move in getting Lebron, finish it off and give up the youngsters for Kawhi.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

You got me. Didn’t remember those situations. If that’s a rule, it’s pretty silly.

Agreed, and honestly it would be a lot less "detrimental to the league" to just have these guys come out and publicly voice their intentions instead of having to rely on social media rumors and innuendo, but what do I know.

Edited by ultimaton

40 minutes ago, ZanTheFan said:

I don't know why he wouldn't resign with Philly. The team would be a contender for many years, especially in the east, plus they can offer: 1) great culture 2) doctors that KL trusts 3) more money next summer than LA

What's this great culture you are referring to here? Isn't Philly the team whose gm or president just got fired for talking shit about his own players on fake twitter accounts? I mean Philly with Kawhi could make the finals so that in itself might be enough to get him to resign but is the culture reference to the team, the city or what?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Make no mistake, the Lakers have the most to give especially if they can leverage something into getting another first round pick.  Realistically, I think the best to worst assets to offer flow:

Boston

LA

Philly

Philly may simply be the ones to offer us the most while the Lakers, foolishly IMO, will try and take the cheap way out.....

Rumors that the Spurs really want Fultz and something else. If the Spurs could fix his shot he could still be a serious player. The Sixers came out and said Fultz is the one piece along with Simmons and Embiid that they won't offer but I think that's so that if or when they finally do offer him the Spurs can think they've gotten some kind of victory because that's who they really want.

3 minutes ago, thepop said:

I thought I read somewhere that if Kawhi sits the year when healthy he not only loses money but he can’t become a FA and the Spurs will hold onto his rights.

It'd probably pretty easy to fake an injury..... not sure he wants that type of reputation as there are rumors running around that he was healthy at the end of last year, but there would be little doubt what he was doing this season.  Regardless, I think this wraps up way before then....

9 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

The Lakers are willing to wait it out til next year and sign him then and Kawhi is willing to sit. Fuck him, let him waste a year of his prime

Spurs just need to be patient. Lebron is 33 and has more minutes than anybody in the league by a mile. Lebron has 2 or 3 more years in his prime at the most. 

The Lakers don't have a long term play here. They now have to try and maximize the roster in the present. 

Lebron didn't go to a team that's trying to build for the future. Nope. Now the Lakers will start making serious offers. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I love how Kawhi would sit out a year because his relationship with the Spurs is irreparable and toxic.  Yet, you have guys like Rudy Gay and Marco who are excited to re-sign with the evil Spurs.

I don't understand how playing for LA is such a big deal.  These guys make so much money and are on the road all the damn time.  They can live wherever they want.

Bleacher report update basically just said the offers for Kawhi (from the lakers) are starting to get worse and worse, basically contradicting what Alex Kennedy said. I’m a pessimistic person at heart, but I don’t see how that wouldn’t be the case at this point. I feel like the “godfather” offer from the lakers was to make the situation more appealing for lebron. Now that they have him, why would they part with Ingram, Kuzma, and randle if they don’t have to. I don’t know man, i feel like we really fucked this up. Just get this toxic situation the fuck out of our lockeroom, wash your hands of the situation, and move on.

11 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Bleacher report update basically just said the offers for Kawhi (from the lakers) are starting to get worse and worse, basically contradicting what Alex Kennedy said. I’m a pessimistic person at heart, but I don’t see how that wouldn’t be the case at this point. I feel like the “godfather” offer from the lakers was to make the situation more appealing for lebron. Now that they have him, why would they part with Ingram, Kuzma, and randle if they don’t have to. I don’t know man, i feel like we really fucked this up. Just get this toxic situation the fuck out of our lockeroom, wash your hands of the situation, and move on.

We have no idea what type of offers we've received.  Maybe they were good..... maybe they were poor.  Impossible to know right now if we've misplayed our hand.  That written, you don't just "wash your hands" of this situation.  This is a franchise changing decision for may the next half dozen years.  You don't panic.  You seem panicked.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

This is the reason PATFO makes their money.  Rushed, panic decisions rarely work out well.  If all we're going to get it a shit sandwich, that same shit sandwich will still be there for a few months.  Or it might get better.  Probably won't get worse.  So there's not a ton of downside now; could we have gotten something marginally better pre Decision 3.0?  Who knows.  For all anyone knows, LA knew that they had LeBron on lock and it was already affecting their trade offers for Kawhi.

This is the reason PATFO makes their money.  Rushed, panic decisions rarely work out well.  If all we're going to get it a shit sandwich, that same shit sandwich will still be there for a few months.  Or it might get better.  Probably won't get worse.  So there's not a ton of downside now; could we have gotten something marginally better pre Decision 3.0?  Who knows.  For all anyone knows, LA knew that they had LeBron on lock and it was already affecting their trade offers for Kawhi.

This. I say let Kawhi rot as a hold out rather than “gift” him to the goddamn Lakers for what amounts to role players on a good team. Yes, I’m that spiteful.

I think somebody will realize every great player is now in the West. Kawhi on either Boston or Philadelphia becomes the favorite in the East.
  • Like 1

I wonder what Kawhi would do if the Spurs don't trade him? Does he have the balls to claim that he's injured for another entire season?
I would think the owners would have a major issue with the union on this considering the nature of guaranteed contracts. 

I think he’s said he’s prepared to sit out the season if we don’t move him. I’m willing to call that bluff rather than get a shitty package back for him.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I wonder what Kawhi would do if the Spurs don't trade him? Does he have the balls to claim that he's injured for another entire season?

I would think the owners would have a major issue with the union on this considering the nature of guaranteed contracts. 

If he did try to do that, could the Spurs sue him and not have to pay his salary? 

11.3 Withholding Services.

A player who withholds playing services called for by a Player Contract for more than thirty (30) days after the start of the last Season covered by his Player Contract shall be deemed not to have “complet[ed] his Player Contract by rendering the playing services called for thereunder.” Accordingly, such a player shall not be a Veteran Free Agent and shall not be entitled to negotiate or sign a Player Contract with any other professional basketball team unless and until the Team for which the player last played expressly agrees otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

11.3 Withholding Services.

A player who withholds playing services called for by a Player Contract for more than thirty (30) days after the start of the last Season covered by his Player Contract shall be deemed not to have “complet[ed] his Player Contract by rendering the playing services called for thereunder.” Accordingly, such a player shall not be a Veteran Free Agent and shall not be entitled to negotiate or sign a Player Contract with any other professional basketball team unless and until the Team for which the player last played expressly agrees otherwise.

So they could not pay him 20 million, and make it to where he can't be a free agent next season?  Does that fat fuck Uncle Dennis know this, cause he may want to brush up on his CBA knowledge...