Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

On 8/18/2020 at 8:02 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

In 2010, you guys could have pushed for an annual game with OU, and you would have probably gotten it.  The Big 12's increased TV value had you stayed would have likely negated the financial jump to the Big 10.

The academic side is hard to argue with, but being in the Big 12 doesn't seem to hurt UT, ISU, and KU academically.

the academic argument is pretty easy to shoot down

1. in the AAU while in the Big 12......booted out of the AAU just after joining the Big 10

it was well known for over a decade that the AAU had been telling Nebraska they needed to improve or their membership could be in jeopardy and Nebraska did nothing about that

Nebraska was in the Big 12 for over a decade and cried most of the time especially the last 10 years or so even when they were getting their way on pretty much every issue except partial qualifiers that had been voted on and settled 11-1 right at the start of the conference

the chancellor of NU stated they were getting their way on pretty much every issue and voted with Texas

really if you ask most people they do not see Nebraska as improved academically from any association with the Big 10 (nor CU with the PAC 12 although I think it DID work for Utah) and if you really ask most people that keep up with the issue they see Nebraska as having a 10 year warning about being booted from the AAU and doing NOTHING and having a couple of years of being really unhappy in the Big 12 and moving the earth to get out and get in the Big 10......while simultaneously being booted from the AAU.....that is not a real banner for "improved academics" that screams football factory

and of course the BS about the medical school not counting and land grant money not counting has been thoroughly debunked as being total BS

2. if you look at the latest HERD numbers and the past ones as well the total research dollars are up for NU since leaving the Big 12

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/herd/2018/html/herd18-dt-tab020.html

but really their place in the overall order of things is really not that much higher and might even be a bit lower.....so they grew their total research about as fast as anyone else out there especially those doing about the same total research over time

https://ncsesdata.nsf.gov/herd/2018/html/herd18-dt-tab023.html

if you look at Federal numbers above NU is down since the Big 12 days

now to be clear 2012 was a big year for research dollars because of "stimulus" at the time and many similar schools show that same pattern (KU), but two other  comparable Big 12 schools ISU and KSU show growth over the same time period.....so again one would think that "Big 10 connection" would show at least some growth, but it is ISU and KSU that show a continuous trend of federal research dollar growth while NU shows a pattern similar to many other schools

3. people often do not understand the Big 10 consortium 9or whatever they are called now) has NO MONEY to give....NONE....they do not provide grants or have grant funds and are in fact SUPPORTED by Big 10 members they do not support Big 10 members they simply help to coordinate them....with NO money to give

4. U Chicago put up ZERO fight to stay in the group when it was renamed and reorganized and in fact said they would be just fine without it and can still work with any or all of the members

when Johns Hopkins Lacrosse joined the Big 10 at the time they could have also joined the Big 10 consortium.....they declined to do saying they saw no real need and they (like Chicago) could still work with any or all of the members any time they wanted to)

5. I suppose there is the benefit of people still saying "well they are in the Big 10", but few people really fall for that and most that do well that is on them, but the reality is there has been no noticeable benefit for them academically and really the argument is as strong or stronger that they took more action on conference membership and faster than they did a decade of academic warnings by the AAU

On 8/19/2020 at 7:09 AM, kopp0e said:

The saga continues:

The new B1G  commish (and really the presidents who voted against) might be able tell Corn "go get your shinebox; you ain't playing."  I don't think he can say that to tOSU and Michigan if they're really serious about it.  Less so if more schools join them.

• Like 1

t’s sad how impotent Nebraska fans are these days. I flew into Omaha wearing a Longhorn Covid mask last month. No one would even make eye contact with me.

Probably thought you were just another illegal.  They account for 90% of the Longhorns gear seen here in Nebraska.  Go stand outside of one of the packing plants here in Nebraska and see for yourself. 

Also, don't be an attention whore.  Who gives a f*ck about who gets off a plane?  Why would a Texas logo mask be any different than a "Vote for Hillary" button?  They are both something from the past.  If you want to rile Nebraskans up, a Wisconsin Badger mask probably would have worked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

1 hour ago, Cornfusion said:

Probably thought you were just another illegal.  They account for 90% of the Longhorns gear seen here in Nebraska.  Go stand outside of one of the packing plants here in Nebraska and see for yourself. 

Also, don't be an attention whore.  Who gives a f*ck about who gets off a plane?  Why would a Texas logo mask be any different than a "Vote for Hillary" button?  They are both something from the past.  If you want to rile Nebraskans up, a Wisconsin Badger mask probably would have worked.

You hang out at packing plants?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cornfusion said:

Probably thought you were just another illegal.  They account for 90% of the Longhorns gear seen here in Nebraska. 

Well, OK pussy. Still mad about being our bitch. That’s understandable. I’ll be back through there in a few weeks. Will wear my Texas mask again just for you. Say “Hi” if you see me. 

Hope y’all win all your games this fall. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Oh are you posting on a Texas message board in the past? 

Though wow you guys really do suck shit against Wisconsin. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, trza-hawk said:

I hang out at the place next to the packing plant. Where they burn off and melt all the stuff that isn't used in the plant because it makes valuable chemicals, like oils and lubricants or maybe even soap. I can't remember the name, but I remember the smell.

Garden State Rendering?

are you Tony Soprano?

19 hours ago, Dutch said:

The new B1G  commish (and really the presidents who voted against) might be able tell Corn "go get your shinebox; you ain't playing."  I don't think he can say that to tOSU and Michigan if they're really serious about it.  Less so if more schools join them.

Yes, but all that does is show NU faithful that B1G fans & alumni, don't really value Nebraska, as such, XII should push for Husker & Buff back home...

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Big12 doesn't need to push for anyone..  If I were Bowlsby, I'd leave it alone

XII still needs brands as the smallest P5 with 10 teams, why not get 50% of teams that bolted, to return home..? 
Not only that, but it has a double-down effect on B1G perception vs that of XII especially if XII add USC/ UCLA...

12 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

XII still needs brands as the smallest P5 with 10 teams, why not get 50% of teams that bolted, to return home..? 
Not only that, but it has a double-down effect on B1G perception vs that of XII especially if XII add USC/ UCLA...

Perception is that the Big 12 is planning on playing this season.  Nebraska isn't making or breaking the conference.  Let them figure out where they stand in their new home.

Well, OK pussy. Still mad about being our bitch. That’s understandable. I’ll be back through there in a few weeks. Will wear my Texas mask again just for you. Say “Hi” if you see me.

LOL,  will you be wearing a Shriner's hat and your merit badge sash as well?  Then you will get a "Hi", a three fingered salute and secret handshake in recognition of you being the awesome you  that you are on account of what you wear.  Last word is yours, now I'm just picking on you.

Edited by Cornfusion

48 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Colorado doesn't care any more.

Colorado also now sits with:
 A conference with an anemic 18 million subs on 3rd tier (due to Larry Scott bungling PACN) & bad tv time slots...
A series record vs USC sitting at zero wins while in new league, no longer playing Nebraska or Oklahoma or Texas...

That may be fixed in playing teams from the old Big8 along with Texas, while keeping USC/ Utah on the annual slate..?

On 8/18/2020 at 6:17 AM, kopp0e said:

He wouldn't be able to say that smack to Texas or Oklahoma, I think the idea of Nebraska back to XII is trending up north:

Of corse it makes sense for Arky and Neby to be Big XII, which is why it won’t happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

LOL,  will you be wearing a Shriner's hat and your merit badge sash as well? 

Why would I do that? I'm not a Shiner, I wasn't a Boy Scout, and I am not an old person.

As I said before, I like Nebraska folks. I'm even related to some Nebraska folks. There's no reason to be butthurt.

4 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Larry is correct, of course. Nebraska cut off their nose to spite their face. They really thought they were going to show mean ol' Texas a thing or two. It was a really stupid move and now their fans and supporters will pay the price. But at least none of their 50 losses since 2010 were to Texas.

It's OK to admit when you're wrong.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

It's kind of adorable watching you try to overcome the PTSD you've sustained as a result of Nebraska going 1-9 vs. Texas in the last 10 games, Roll Left, Lawrence's dagger kick in the 2009 Big 12 CG, and Nebraska's program descending into complete shittiness since fleeing to the B10.  Keep trying, l'il fella!   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Also, something else every Husker fears at the moment: Baylor completing a season & going to a NY6 bowl, whole NU goes gameless in 2020...

I wasn't aware of that.  Just looked it up and saw that it is only 2 for Thursday and another 4 on Saturday.  All "TV TBA".  Where you at FOX? 

26 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

??

I get the impression that college sports isn't really a priority to a lot of CU alums and people in the Denver area.  I don't think the financial losses incurred by the Pac 12 move really bother anyone and there just really isn't much drive or initiative to change lanes.  I get the impression that most CU people would rather just be affiliated with West Coast schools vs. Great Plains schools, and that the athletic component just isn't moving the needle for enough folks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I get the impression that college sports isn't really a priority to a lot of CU alums and people in the Denver area.  I don't think the financial losses incurred by the Pac 12 move really bother anyone and there just really isn't much drive or initiative to change lanes.  I get the impression that most CU people would rather just be affiliated with West Coast schools vs. Great Plains schools, and that the athletic component just isn't moving the needle for enough folks.

The ones who care enough to join message boards, including one affiliated with another school, care quite a bit I’d assume. But on the whole it does feel like there isn’t a whole lot of enthusiasm for CU football. Denver is a full blown pro town with most sports enthusiasm for the Broncos.

51 minutes ago, jinx said:

I wasn't aware of that.  Just looked it up and saw that it is only 2 for Thursday and another 4 on Saturday.  All "TV TBA".  Where you at FOX? 

Maybe still trying to recover from selling Bart Simpson to Mickey Mouse..?

simpsons.jpeg

47 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The ones who care enough to join message boards, including one affiliated with another school, care quite a bit I’d assume. But on the whole it does feel like there isn’t a whole lot of enthusiasm for CU football. Denver is a full blown pro town with most sports enthusiasm for the Broncos.

Yeah, obviously 66Buff doesn't fall into the ambivalent category, but I think he's a bit of an outlier among that fanbase.

Put me in the camp that would welcome NU back.  Hate is good for college football.  If tOSU and Michigan is any indicator, one-sided rivalries are fine for the TV side.  Add Nebby and trade WVU for Arky and we've almost got an ideal Big 8 / SWC division split.  

North:  OU, NU, OSU, KSU, KU, ISU
South:  UT, Arky, TTU, TCU, BU, ??

Or we could just play at 11 teams and make sure the big brand / rivals play each other every year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I liked the move to the PAC when it came out but, that announcement included Texas, aggy, sooner, OSU and tech.  Once the other schools stayed it lost its luster (did increase our fundraising from the west coast alums).  There is a hardcore base of 40k to 45k CU fans in Colorado and it is a bigtime pro sports state.  We did not sell out seasons in the late 80's thru the early 2000's when we had top ranked teams. Put a decent team on the field and we will get 50,000 fans per game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

With a Runza in one hand, wearing a '97 Natty shirt, jean shorts, and a fanny pack.

You stalking me mfer?

Of all the times I made predictions and was wrong pretty much every fucking time, the move to the B1G was the one I was right about?  Fuck this shit.  Fuck you football gods.

5 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

You stalking me mfer?

Of all the times I made predictions and was wrong pretty much every fucking time, the move to the B1G was the one I was right about?  Fuck this shit.  Fuck you football gods.

I was always amazed by the amount of 60 year old dudes wearing fanny packs I'd see when Nebraska would come to Jack Trice.  I sweater god it was half of your visiting fanbase.

• Haha 1

The move that could work in reverse..?

ACC adds Penn State (B1G) & Notre Dame to reach 16/ SEC takes in West Virginia & NC State to reach 16...
XII adds Nebraska (B1G) & Arkansas (SEC), & adds Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA & USC (PAC)...
Yes, I know about GoR's, but if ESPN holds rights to ACC & SEC, the key is, who wants in from B1G & PAC...

Anyway, my point is how much more valuable would Nebraska be at this point, if NU had kept Pelini in 2014...
Pelini left the Nebraska football program with a 67[W]–27[L] record, winning at least 9 games, every season...
Although I think Frost will find his footing, especially if Huskers are able to return to XII, during his NU tenure...

On 8/24/2020 at 7:20 AM, kopp0e said:

corn like aggy believes they have agency while living in a delusional version of spacetime where in fact they are hated and reviled and not welcome to return.

i remember aggy cognitive dissonance when they could not demand that our game with them would continue, and that it would continue on thanksgiving/T+1.  and then after years of calling us cowards, when we call their bluff, they turn tail and scurry like roaches in the light.  corn will do the same thing.  but they are still in the cognitive dissonance stage where they believe they can declare that certain events will occur, which require the acquiescence and complicity of others, when said others in fact diametrically oppose and would resist the advent of said events.

tl/dr: i'm sick of reading verbal diarrhea from corn who believes they can simply declare they are returning to the big12 when there is no such invitation.  at all.

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2020 at 7:26 AM, kopp0e said:

When you get a divorce so you can move out and fuck someone else, you don't get to move back in when you're new mates aren't sexing you up properly.

Especially when you lie about why you moved out, disparage your former mates on the way out the door, and then use fake revisionist bullshit to rationalize your actions.  See al4isu posts upthread and in the 20indanger thread.