2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

That makes no sense..... Why wouldn't the Cavs trade him for some sort of value beyond cap space?  There certainly would be a buyer.... I don't get that at all.  

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That makes no sense..... Why wouldn't the Cavs trade him for some sort of value beyond cap space?  There certainly would be a buyer.... I don't get that at all.  

@longhornmatt could be right that it was a behind the scenes handshake agreement. Or the Nets could throw them something - although I'm not sure what they have at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

One would think that BOS would start a bidding war to a) get him cause he helps them and b) to keep him away from BOS.    However, keep in mind that he was putting up the same number in DET  while they had him on the block for the better part of a yr and all they ultimately got a 2nd round pick and a couple of throwaways for salary ballast.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, d2o said:

One would think that BOS would start a bidding war to a) get him cause he helps them and b) to keep him away from BOS.    However, keep in mind that he was putting up the same number in DET  while they had him on the block for the better part of a yr and all they ultimately got a 2nd round pick and a couple of throwaways for salary ballast.

I guess, but again, they still got something and Detroit was salary dumping because Drummond was going to decline his PO and become a UFA.  But then Covid hit and I think he decided to just opt in.  Now, he's truly on an expiring and even if cheap, you'd think some team would pony up a 2nd and the expiring back?  Maybe not.  Maybe Covid has most teams scared but gotta think the Lakers, Boston, and maybe even the Clippers would want him.  Not sure what assets they could give.  He is becoming a dinosaur in the modern NBA.  Guess I'd just be surprised...... we'll see.

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I guess, but again, they still got something and Detroit was salary dumping because Drummond was going to decline his PO and become a UFA.  But then Covid hit and I think he decided to just opt in.  Now, he's truly on an expiring and even if cheap, you'd think some team would pony up a 2nd and the expiring back?  Maybe not.  Maybe Covid has most teams scared but gotta think the Lakers, Boston, and maybe even the Clippers would want him.  Not sure what assets they could give.  He is becoming a dinosaur in the modern NBA.  Guess I'd just be surprised...... we'll see.

I agree that there SHOULD be plenty of teams after him just saying for some reason the market for him wasn't there before and it may not be there now.

9 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Anybody who watched the game, what was the difference for the Pelicans and Lonzo specifically? Was it simply a streaky shooter got hot or were they actually playing the more up-tempo game that Lonzo benefits from?

Just was one of those games where they couldn't miss.   Zo and Bledsoe both made 7 threes each.    That aint philosophy or approach.    That's just a 1 in 100 aligning of the stars

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Anybody who watched the game, what was the difference for the Pelicans and Lonzo specifically? Was it simply a streaky shooter got hot or were they actually playing the more up-tempo game that Lonzo benefits from?

I didn't watch the game. But - a couple of points I'd make:

1. Bledsoe hit 7 3s. Bledsoe has been trash all year. He isn't going to do that every game. (As d2o said - Lonzo hit 7 3s, too)

2. The Bucks aren't all that great - especially on defense. They are still one of the better teams in the league but they are sitting at 11-7. They are 0-4 against the Nets, Lakers, Celtics and Jazz - the 4 contending teams that they've played - with their wins coming against the Warriors (very early season), Heat, Pistons (3 times), Bulls, Cavs, Magic, Mavericks, Hawks and Raptors. They also have losses against the Heat, Knicks, and now Pelicans. 

So basically they are beating shitty teams, losing against good teams, and splitting games against the rest of the pack so far. They can be had on any given night. 

Edited by ztejas

BKN 2nd in the East after last night. That didn't take long. So many teams hovering around .500 - it doesn't take much to go from 8th or 9th to 3rd or 4th in either conference right now and vice versa.

4th and 11th in the West are separated by just 3 games - 3rd and 9th in the East are separated by 2.5 games. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Jesus Christ, Joker is doing WORK this season. I know it's early and there are several legitimate candidates (LBJ, Durant, Jaylen Brown*), but if we're handing out the MVP today you have to give it to the Jokic.

* I said what I said.

I'd lean Embiid just because of how much a buzzsaw the 6ers are and how much of a headache he is for other teams to deal with.

But it's certainly a 2 horse race and Jokic is the other. I don't think Durant has played enough and LeBron is just on cruise control right now - as good as the Lakers are. 

Kawhi is up there too, but he's a snake bitch, so...

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I can’t even describe how funny and amazing and amusing the Nets loss was in the last 8 seconds to Washington. Just incredible. 

Yeah that was so bad on so many levels. I'm not sure if it's more on Harris or TLC or Nash but wow they threw that game.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that was so bad on so many levels. I'm not sure if it's more on Harris or TLC or Nash but wow they threw that game.

What did you want Nash to do?  The inbounds was absurd and not on him- that’s just every night stuff. Then they had a good play drawn up at the other end and he just missed a bunny. I mean, I guess he could ha e taken a TO after the made 3,  it that lets them set up their add and 999/1000 hour team doesn’t lose its mind like that. Still amused and amazed 20 minutes later. 

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What did you want Nash to do?  The inbounds was absurd and not on him- that’s just every night stuff. Then they had a good play drawn up at the other end and he just missed a bunny. I mean, I guess he could ha e taken a TO after the made 3,  it that lets them set up their add and 999/1000 hour team doesn’t lose its mind like that. Still amused and amazed 20 minutes later. 

They could have fouled WAS on the possession where Beal made the 3 and probably should have. The first inbounds was on Harris - not sure wtf he was thinking there. In hindsight, calling a timeout there would have been smart. Both inbounds plays after that were terrible. Basically "go stand in front of the inbounder and call for the ball KD". Harris/KD almost turned it over again on the first one. Then they had to switch inbounders to Kyrie - one of the clutchest shot makers in the league - and the plan was still just toss KD the ball with zero off-ball movement. Maybe TLC cutting was part of the plan but I don't think it was - I think he was just making a basketball play.

Obviously Harris and TLC are the more direct actors here but getting your guys to put the game away without doing boneheaded shit is part of a head coach's job. And a lot of their losses this season have been like this. 

Also - you have DeAndre Jordan on your team. Why is he not in the game when you are inbounding the ball down 1 with 2.9 on the clock? 

Edited by ztejas

11 hours ago, Llogg said:

Jesus Christ, Joker is doing WORK this season. I know it's early and there are several legitimate candidates (LBJ, Durant, Jaylen Brown*), but if we're handing out the MVP today you have to give it to the Jokic.

* I said what I said.

Yeah, his advanced stats are frankly obscene right now.  I might tweak this dependent on record of course later, but I'd probably go # 1 Jokic, #2 Embiid, # 3 Durant, and # 4 LeBron.  I think Durant won't suffer as much with the Curry narrative and he's coming back from an injury, so despite the three stars, there is possibly a good narrative to vote for him.  (and yeah, narrative matters for the actual voters, which is why Giannis could replicate the exact same stats and even a little better, but he has no shot to win this year)  I think narrative will help LeBron too, so Jokic and Embiid should try and get the best record they can for the team.

Boston's record is too poor for Brown I think, but yeah, he's played great this year.

It's crazy going from your last game watched being a 96-95 Lakers/Boston slugfest to a 149-146 non-OT game!  I mean, Brooklyn knows their current roster issues, they just have to get it done.  If they do, they could just overwhelm some teams and they are scary for anyone...but right now, a terrible team scores almost 150.  (most shocking to me was Westbrook seemed...what's the word I almost never use for him...efficient?)  But huge props for him having a good 41/10/8.  Also, no Harden...    

2 minutes ago, d2o said:
5 hours ago, UTDD said:

Yeah, his advanced stats are frankly obscene right now.  I might tweak this dependent on record of course later, but I'd probably go # 1 Jokic, #2 Embiid, # 3 Durant, and # 4 LeBron.  I think Durant won't suffer as much with the Curry narrative and he's coming back from an injury, so despite the three stars, there is possibly a good narrative to vote for him.  (and yeah, narrative matters for the actual voters, which is why Giannis could replicate the exact same stats and even a little better, but he has no shot to win this year)  I think narrative will help LeBron too, so Jokic and Embiid should try and get the best record they can for the team.

Boston's record is too poor for Brown I think, but yeah, he's played great this year.

I'd change my vote from yesterday to Jokic. And I think for me it's mostly games played. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Nets are going to make a very interesting case study. The only team that I can remember winning a championship without a Top 10 caliber defense was one of the Shaq Laker teams that sleep-walked through the regular season, and then cranked it up when it mattered.

"Playoff intensity" isn't going to be enough to vault Brooklyn into the respectable range. They're going to be a very bad defensive team as constructed. But obviously their offense is amazing, with two of the best offensive players in the history of the league, and another dude with ridiculous handles and shot making. 

I think the "defense wins championships" cliche will hold true, probably before they even get to the Finals, but the Nets certainly have the star power to challenge that.

33 minutes ago, d2o said:

With Durant on the court in that span they are posting a 114.9 DRTG (which is still obviously awful but wouldn't quite rank last this season). Which means with Durant not on the court, doing some quick math, they are good for a 123.5.

So basically, as currently constructed, were Durant to miss a significant stretch they'd be playing with by far the worst defense in NBA history.

Buuuuuut the empty arenas factor is a lot to ignore. Teams are putting up stupid scoring numbers so far this season - hence why they are also historically efficient on O. 

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I had no idea that the 3 best franchise records since 2000 are the Spurs, Mavs, and Rockets. Only 4 losing seasons during that time span.

5 titles, 7 Finals appearances and 14 WCF appearances in that stretch between all 3 teams.