2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

Bingo!!   I would have traded high with him for sure!   When they were rumored to be trying to put together a package for Harden some were saying he would be the sticking point.   Ridiculous.     Good young player.    Not nearly the budding superstar or even star that some tried to act like he was during the bubble

He reminds me of Sam Cassell. I loved that dude.  I'm not necessarily talking about his game- I'm just talking about showing up as a rookie and believing himself to be a total badass with absolutely no fear and willing to stick his nose into the biggest and most crucial points in time in the game- I be he has a similar career to Cassell.  No all star games (or maybe 1 or 2), always considered a really good player.  Integral part of some really good teams.  Not the kind of guy that you ought to hold onto if he's the price for Charles Barkley or something like that.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  Shurgs.  But yeah- I can't even see him being anything other than the 3rd or 4th best player on a really good team (and if you are going to win a title with him as your 3rd best then your top 2 better be Lebron and Davis or Durant and Harden or something like that).

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

...6c0f1f012049ed9635770ae41fcb6da1.jpg

It's almost like it's not that hard to figure out how to put together a basketball team, Morey is really good at his job, Hinke had the right idea and Colangelo and Elton Brand are morons who should feel bad about what they did to put a much lower ceiling on that team than it should have had.  

Nah- basketball is as hard as winning for Tom Herman.  Oh noe's- you have a great big and an evolutionary Stacy Augman and you think maybe you ought to put a couple shooters around them and let them use that space to snipe away on one hand and create room for your other two? Nah, that's silly. Go get a sorta washed 4/5 and give him $100 million instead.  

Fucking morons. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It's almost like it's not that hard to figure out how to put together a basketball team,

Simmons and Embiid were both through the draft. I agree that once you have those two it isn't super difficult - but they at least get some credit there - even if they were consensus 1s.

I also agree that they've fucked around for awhile and the 6ers should have been better earlier - but Embiid has never played like this. He's a legit top 5 guy in the league right now. 

I beleive they drafted Harris as well?

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Simmons and Embiid were both through the draft. I agree that once you have those two it isn't super difficult - but they at least get some credit there - even if they were consensus 1s.

I also agree that they've fucked around for awhile and the 6ers should have been better earlier - but Embiid has never played like this. He's a legit top 5 guy in the league right now. 

Tobias was drafted in 2011 by Charlotte and then traded to Milwaukee that night. He then bounced around from team to team before coming to Philly a few years ago.

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Nah Tobias was drafted by MIL long ago.   He's bounced all over the league including here in ORL for a few yrs

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I have no idea. I just looked at their schedule after reading the post and seen he hasn’t played since jan12 which to no surprise the heat lost most of those games.

He played last night so the lungs must be good

I’ve heard a lot of athletes talk about even after they were cleared to play, it took them weeks if not months for their lungs to feel like they did before they got it. 

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ve heard a lot of athletes talk about even after they were cleared to play, it took them weeks if not months for their lungs to feel like they did before they got it. 

Plenty of reg people saying the same.    Many experiencing all types of long term symptoms.   Some 6 mos out and still saying they don't feel right.   Covid is no fucking joke.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He reminds me of Sam Cassell. I loved that dude.  I'm not necessarily talking about his game- I'm just talking about showing up as a rookie and believing himself to be a total badass with absolutely no fear and willing to stick his nose into the biggest and most crucial points in time in the game- I be he has a similar career to Cassell.  No all star games (or maybe 1 or 2), always considered a really good player.  Integral part of some really good teams.  Not the kind of guy that you ought to hold onto if he's the price for Charles Barkley or something like that.  

Maybe I'm wrong.  Shurgs.  But yeah- I can't even see him being anything other than the 3rd or 4th best player on a really good team (and if you are going to win a title with him as your 3rd best then your top 2 better be Lebron and Davis or Durant and Harden or something like that).

You listen to the Dan Lebetard show, don’t you?

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nope.  Never, not once.  I've never heard anyone make that comparison.  It's not even really a playing style comparison, more a sense of what kind of value I think he will have in his career.

I gotcha. Amin Elhassen made that exact comparison the other day on the Lebetard show, comparing Herro’s contributions in the playoffs last year to what Sam Cassell did for the rockets during their title run. 

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

Not arguing he should have been taken in the top 3. But the Knicks and Suns would have easily been better off taking him compared to their actual choices. And when you consider fit and need, the Pistons and even the Bulls are logical landing spots.

I understand the upside play, but in a weak draft, it's OK to just take a good player when he's available.

Bit early to do a 2020 draft retrospective. I agree Haliburton has been great and that that was a good pick. Some guys need more time than 20 games. Actually I'd say most guys do...

17 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I gotcha. Amin Elhassen made that exact comparison the other day on the Lebetard show, comparing Herro’s contributions in the playoffs last year to what Sam Cassell did for the rockets during their title run. 

Ha.  So maybe I got one right- every now and again it happens. I'm usually colossally bad at making comps- for a lot of different reasons but the main one being I'm an idiot. I'd like to think I'm pretty good at risk assessment (not involving low bridges in an RV) and valuation of people and things so that was all that play was.

I think I'm better at the valuation and risk analysis than most NBA GM's, who I think, on balance, are morons.  I point to Morey as proof of said fact- how he has been able to exploit inefficiency after inefficiency well after that shouldn't be possible.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bit early to do a 2020 draft retrospective. I agree Haliburton has been great and that that was a good pick. Some guys need more time than 20 games. Actually I'd say most guys do...

Agree with this.   And I think shitty should suck it up and play their young guys more.    I think the benefit of doing so is greater than sitting them and then having to make a guess when they get to extension time.

Tonight was the 800th game that James has scored 25 or more which is the most in NBA history and apparently is now 3rd all-time in shots made. He got a triple-double and that 10th assist was a play right out of Pete Carril's old Princeton offense. 

The Nuggets, on the other hand, were outscored by 33 points in the 2nd half and honestly it is hard to see them being a serious title contender with the roster they currently have. Jokic is just negated by the Laker bigs. He's still one of the most fun guys in the league to watch when he isn't playing against my guys. I think the biggest obstacle to the Purple and Gold getting back to the Finals will be Utah. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tonight was the 800th game that James has scored 25 or more which is the most in NBA history and apparently is now 3rd all-time in shots made. He got a triple-double and that 10th assist was a play right out of Pete Carril's old Princeton offense. 
The Nuggets, on the other hand, were outscored by 33 points in the 2nd half and honestly it is hard to see them being a serious title contender with the roster they currently have. Jokic is just negated by the Laker bigs. He's still one of the most fun guys in the league to watch when he isn't playing against my guys. I think the biggest obstacle to the Purple and Gold getting back to the Finals will be Utah. 
I think it's still the Clippers if they don't choke getting there, which is still a huge possibility.

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Jamal Murray is playing like a borderline 3rd option on a title team - let alone 2nd. Until he can get a little closer to championship 2nd option this Nuggets team isn't going anywhere. He might not have that ceiling, in which case, better grab a fresh pack of dry erase markers.

Right now he's basically a poor man's CJ McCollum. And CJ has proven repeatedly that he isn't a legit 2nd option for a contender. (Not that I'm convinced Dame is a legit #1 for a contender)

On the Mavs - holy shit Luka needs help. That kid is amazing but he isn't LeBron or Duncan or KG level where he can just drag a bunch of Joes to the playoffs ever year. At least he isn't that yet.

Edited by ztejas

10 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I'm guessing Durant breaks Kareem's mark there, too. He's already 10th and should be 7th by the end of this season.

35 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i mean he ain't wrong.  wtf is the point of having an all star game played in front of 3,000 fans?

Going to guess it's a bone to the TV providers.  It's easy.... just don't go.  It is a stupid decision, so just skip it with the need to rest a minor injury.  Let some of the dudes who probably never get to one go.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i mean he ain't wrong.  wtf is the point of having an all star game played in front of 3,000 fans?

Agreed. All Star weekend is all about the fans and the whole experience. Much more than any other all star events from other sports. It's a who's who of entertainers, big time people. Everyone comes out for those. Without that, there is no real point. The game itself is just a small part of All Star weekend in the NBA.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And while we're on the LBJ topic, you can talk all you want about Embid or Jokic.  The league MVP right now is LeBron, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

He could have had who knows how many MVPs by now. Every single year in Cleveland for sure. People just take him for granted so often so they kind of overlook what he actually does for his teams. I get many don't like him for their own reasons. But how many teams has he resurrected so far? Cleveland when he was drafted out of high school. He made them relevant. Cleveland the second time around. Now the Lakers. They were dogshit for years. Remember, he had them at the top of the West before he got injured. And this was before AD got there. But the narrative so many have is how all the others carry him. When in fact it is the total opposite. Wade was falling off before he joined the Heat. Bosh never got out of the 1st round. AD never did shit before Lebron. Kyrie or Kevin Love. Both of them had their teams at the bottom.

And the fact he is still doing it at this age and how many years he has played. Amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Jamal Murray is playing like a borderline 3rd option on a title team - let alone 2nd. Until he can get a little closer to championship 2nd option this Nuggets team isn't going anywhere. He might not have that ceiling, in which case, better grab a fresh pack of dry erase markers.

Right now he's basically a poor man's CJ McCollum. And CJ has proven repeatedly that he isn't a legit 2nd option for a contender. (Not that I'm convinced Dame is a legit #1 for a contender)

On the Mavs - holy shit Luka needs help. That kid is amazing but he isn't LeBron or Duncan or KG level where he can just drag a bunch of Joes to the playoffs ever year. At least he isn't that yet.

Yeah the Jamal Murray thing has always been wild.   He teases the shit out of you with great performances but cannot be even slightly consistent.   Their best hope is that MPJ leaps him and becomes a #2................or they dump Murray for Beal.

24 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And while we're on the LBJ topic, you can talk all you want about Embid or Jokic.  The league MVP right now is LeBron, and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Because he's on a better team than Jokic? I'm just not sure I can take LeBron seriously as an MVP candidate while Davis is on his team and not missing significant stretches. LeBron sure as shit isn't anchoring that #1 defense.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Because he's on a better team than Jokic? I'm just not sure I can take LeBron seriously as an MVP candidate while Davis is on his team and not missing significant stretches. LeBron sure as shit isn't anchoring that #1 defense.

Right on cue.

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Right on cue.

So your thinking was "I bet if I say something knee-jerk like LeBron is the unquestioned MVP someone might take issue"? Yeah you're a regular Nostradamus. 

I mean it's close. He might even win it if they voted today. He's not quite my #1 yet and that's still a pretty objective stance for anyone to have. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So your thinking was "I bet if I say something knee-jerk like LeBron is the unquestioned MVP someone might take issue"? Yeah you're a regular Nostradamus. 

I mean it's close. He might even win it if they voted today. He's not quite my #1 yet and that's still a pretty objective stance for anyone to have. 

Knee-jerk reactions are my specialty.  But I still believe that LeBron is, as of today, the league MVP.

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Knee-jerk reactions are my specialty.  But I still believe that LeBron is, as of today, the league MVP.

I think his best case is that he's played every game and they have the 2nd best record in the league. There are a handful of guys playing better basketball than him but they are either on worse teams or haven't played as much. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

He’s always been that. People watched the playoffs and thought he was a star despite him never showing that during the regular season. He’s not an elite shooter, not an elite athlete, not an elite finisher, and not an elite handle. He’s a good player not a superstar.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I think his best case is that he's played every game and they have the 2nd best record in the league. There are a handful of guys playing better basketball than him but they are either on worse teams or haven't played as much. 

Here's where we disagree.  LBJ is the most complete player in the league by far.  He doesn't fill up stat sheets, but he does everything at an elite level.  And yes, that includes defense.

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Here's where we disagree.  LBJ is the most complete player in the league by far.  He doesn't fill up stat sheets, but he does everything at an elite level.  And yes, that includes defense.

So his numbers are more impactful because he's LeBron? Have you actually compared his #s to other top players this season? You sound like you're defending Kobe.

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

146652888_4440727372612737_6680806156676

I absolutely think he's right about this. The weekend is not about that happens on the court, but all the shit that happens off the court. And with no fans, parties or anything else why play? The fans who normally watch on TV would understand. Silver is normally smarter than this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Lebron always belongs in the MVP conversation.  He's amazing.  This isn't his strongest season though and Davis is arguably playing a tad better but it's really a coin flip.  I'd lean towards other options at this point, but someone saying he deserves it, isn't going to ruffle too many feathers.  I do really wonder if that 3point% is going to drop to more career numbers.  40% he has done, but only once, so seems like it may drop a few points.  It makes you really appreciate his numbers in his mid 20's.  From about 24-30, he was fucking incredible on a game in, game out level.

So - Durant is in. Coming off of the bench for the first time in his career. It made me dig up a post I made on reddit about this a couple years back when there was speculation that he may come off the bench in the Finals.

This is actually more rare than you would think. LeBron would claim this feat if not for one game in the 2008 season where he came off the bench.

MJ had quite a few games played as a non-starter.

Some retired and current players who have done this or are close (data only goes back to 1982 unfortunately):

Chris Paul - 950/950 games started regular season, 102/102 playoffs

Kevin Durant - 849/849 regular season, 138/138 playoffs

Damian Lillard - 549/549 regular season, 51/51 playoffs

LeBron James - 1197/1198 regular season, 239/239 playoffs

Dwight Howard - 1043/1044 regular season, 95/95 playoffs

Blake Griffin - 604/604 regular season, 52/53 playoffs

David Robinson - 985/987 regular season, 123/123 playoffs

Tim Duncan -1389/1392 regular season, 251/251 playoffs

Karl Malone - 1471/1476 regular season, 193/193 playoffs

Steph Curry - 688/694 regular season, 108/110 playoffs

I guess CP3 is now the clubhouse leader. That list isn't exhaustive - entirely possible it's missing some guys - especially older players.

4 hours ago, aggie08 said:

The other guys in the conversation may want to try winning some games. Fair or not, you're probably not going to win MVP unless you're a Top 3 seed in your conference, or you start another Triple-Doubles!!! narrative.

this is why every sport needs to have an MOP and an MVP award. for example this year in the NFL you'd have Aaron Rodgers win the MVP (QB with ridiculous stats on highly seeded playoff team) while someone like Devontae Adams or Stefon Diggs would win MOP. 

MOP= guy who balled out the most, which this year is Jokic

MVP= best player on one of the best teams, like always.

OR

if you were so inclined, you could flip that around. let LeBron and Mike Trout and Pat Mahomes win MOP every year, and save the MVP for the Josh Allen's of the world- the guy who lifted his team and took them behind all expectations. 

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So Durant is out due to health and safety protocols but isn't ruled out from potentially coming in (like, later in this game) after further test results come back.

What in the fuck?

So basically he had the night off until he had to put on his cape and play Capt. Save 'em. LOL