2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Scale of 1-10 how mad is KD about putting an 8 point night on his season averages

Hey! I'm pretty sure you called my theory crazy about wanting to change how averages are tabulated, so guys would be more willing to play a handful of minutes rather than take the entire game off.

(okay, it's still crazy)

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Hey! I'm pretty sure you called my theory crazy about wanting to change how averages are tabulated, so guys would be more willing to play a handful of minutes rather than take the entire game off.

(okay, it's still crazy)

He was 2nd in scoring average, too. Not that I think he would have kept up 31 ppg necessarily - but could you imagine if this costs him a scoring title? Say he plays 60ish games - this is like a .3 or .4 hit to his ppg.

12 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

though as someone who jumped on brooklyn +150 live line after the first quarter, it was annoying that they then took durant out.  brooklyn was cooking in the 2nd quarter and probably would have won comfortably had durant stayed in the game.

Yeah. And they probably should have won anyway but what a weird team they have. Kyrie didn’t Tajana shot in the 4th quarter before under 10 seconds. Harden was like 3 out of 4 with 15 points deep into the 4th. 
I have no idea how it ends for them. It’s been fun watching. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. And they probably should have won anyway but what a weird team they have. Kyrie didn’t Tajana shot in the 4th quarter before under 10 seconds. Harden was like 3 out of 4 with 15 points deep into the 4th. 
I have no idea how it ends for them. It’s been fun watching. 

they're definitely my #1 most interesting team to watch in the league.  i'm not emotionally attached to them in any way (though i'm sure if they're in the finals i'll "root" for them against anyone in the west), but they ease at which they can score is something to behold.  joe harris is an insane 4th option.  think they'd be better off with a true stretch 5 like a serge ibaka type, but i guess you can't have absolutely everything you'd want to have.  i don't think they'll win the title unless KD just goes nuclear for the final two rounds, but they are certainly intriguing.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

they're definitely my #1 most interesting team to watch in the league.  i'm not emotionally attached to them in any way (though i'm sure if they're in the finals i'll "root" for them against anyone in the west), but they ease at which they can score is something to behold.  joe harris is an insane 4th option.  think they'd be better off with a true stretch 5 like a serge ibaka type, but i guess you can't have absolutely everything you'd want to have.  i don't think they'll win the title unless KD just goes nuclear for the final two rounds, but they are certainly intriguing.  

I’m all in. I’m a huge KD fan and even sort of rooted for the warriors when he was there. I like Nash and D’Antoni and would like to see them win a ring, and I’m not a huge Harden fan boy but think he’s unfairly judged by the media and his haters and would like to see him get a ring too. So yeah- I’ve got nobody I like more than them. 

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m all in. I’m a huge KD fan and even sort of rooted for the warriors when he was there. I like Nash and D’Antoni and would like to see them win a ring, and I’m not a huge Harden fan boy but think he’s unfairly judged by the media and his haters and would like to see him get a ring too. So yeah- I’ve got nobody I like more than them. 

Harden is trying to adapt to a more play making role, and if he gets comfortable with that then people better watch out. he's still one of the handful of best offensive players in the league and one of the best of all time. it's easy for people to hate on him, but he's an unbelievable player. if those guys find a way to make it work then LAL vs BK will be epic. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, shadow_operative said:

Harden is trying to adapt to a more play making role, and if he gets comfortable with that then people better watch out. he's still one of the handful of best offensive players in the league and one of the best of all time. it's easy for people to hate on him, but he's an unbelievable player. 

Yep. That’s my take on him as well. It’s rational imo. 

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mark Jones on this ESPN broadcast says there's no young player he'd take over Tatum when taking into account contributions on both ends of the court. Outlandish, defensible, or outright true?

"When taking into account contributions on both ends of the court" sounds like his way of acknowledging that Luka is clearly the better player. But yes, Tatum is the truth.

• Haha 1

I don't know what "young player" means. He is in no universe as good as Luka. Bam is a year older. Trae Young is the same age. Zion is two years younger. So I don't think "2nd best player 22 or younger" is a crazy take - although you could have him as low as 4th and I wouldn't object all that much. Either way that puts him in great company. 

Collin Sexton is going to fuck around and join that group if he isn't careful. 

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Wishful thinking, but they should do something crazy and give out 20k tickets to fully vaccinated fans for the All-Star game. Though, I assume no city would allow that yet.

That would be awesome. Also, vaccinate the players. Except for Kawhi.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Wishful thinking, but they should do something crazy and give out 20k tickets to fully vaccinated fans for the All-Star game. Though, I assume no city would allow that yet.

You do realize being vaccinated does not = full immunity? I mean this has already been said. You can still get it. You can still spread it. You still have to wear a mask and practice social distancing. Unless they have changed their views on this.

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't know what "young player" means. He is in no universe as good as Luka. Bam is a year older. Trae Young is the same age. Zion is two years younger. So I don't think "2nd best player 22 or younger" is a crazy take - although you could have him as low as 4th and I wouldn't object all that much. Either way that puts him in great company. 

Collin Sexton is going to fuck around and join that group if he isn't careful. 

I would take Tatum over everyone except Luka.   That kid can go.

Just now, d2o said:

I would take Tatum over everyone except Luka.   That kid can go.

I might still take a flyer on Zion over him but yeah I have no qualms with him being 2nd in that group like you said. He's probably a better player than Zion as of now. I haven't watched Trae play enough to make an eval there.

Another guy that advanced stats wise is right up there and is the same age is... Jarrett Allen.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I might still take a flyer on Zion over him but yeah I have no qualms with him being 2nd in that group like you said. He's probably a better player than Zion as of now. I haven't watched Trae play enough to make an eval there.

Another guy that advanced stats wise is right up there and is the same age is... Jarrett Allen.

I feel like Zion has kinda empty numbers.    He just doesn't seem like he effects winning enough.    I would have taken Ja over him during the draft and I see nothing (other than publicity) to change my mind on that 2 yrs later.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

I feel like Zion has kinda empty numbers.    He just doesn't seem like he effects winning enough.    I would have taken Ja over him during the draft and I see nothing (other than publicity) to change my mind on that 2 yrs later.

Ja is up there, too. I knew I was leaving someone out.

I'd like to see Zion on a different team. The Pels are a mess and I think they fail to get him involved and don't have him crash the glass for whatever reason. Maybe some of that is on him but it certainly wasn't how he played in college. 

3 hours ago, d2o said:

I'd have taken Zion first, but I think your eval of him is 100% spot on at the moment. I'd have still taken him b/c I think his ceiling is higher than Ja, but yeah- if you want to win 45 games as a floor in 2 or 3 years it's clearly obvious that Ja is the better play.

I look at that the same way I look at Anthony Davis vs Harden the past 3 or 5 years.  Harden always won more- even when he had dogshit supporting cast.  But if I'm picking guys that are going to be absolutely instrumental to winning it all I'd rather run with AD than Harden (or CP3 back in the day when he was at his apex). 

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I love your constant pettiness toward Kawhi. It's outstanding.  I was the same way as an Astro fan with Carlos Beltran. I boo'd him for 12 years every time I saw him at MMP. 

Pettiness? No. I don’t think that wishing every night for him to have his fingers slammed in a car door, or having him come down with an obscene case of face herpes is pettiness. I have a valid and explainable reason for wanting these things to happen. Now my hatred towards Lebron James is pettiness. He has done nothing to deserve my scorn. 

Also, how do you feel about Beltran now? I mean, now that the whole cheating thing happened and he lost his managerial job and was implicated as one of the ringleaders and now everyone hates the team? Actually, probably don’t answer that. 

Edited by Kermit
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Pettiness? No. I don’t think that wishing every night for him to have his fingers slammed in a car door, or having him come down with an obscene case of face herpes is pettiness. I have a valid and explainable reason for wanting these things to happen. Now my hatred towards Lebron James is pettiness. He has done nothing to deserve my scorn. 

Also, how do you feel about Beltran now? I mean, now that the whole cheating thing happened and he lost his managerial job and was implicated as one of the ringleaders and now everyone hates the team? Actually, probably don’t answer that. 

Probably about how you feel about KL.  It was the long game from Beltran to pay me back for all the boo-ing I did of him... Wreck the Astros longterm. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

LeBron will make that decision 

He might get outranked this time. CP3 and Silver are pushing for this to happen. 

It's just not worth the risk. Imagine if some of the biggest names in the league had to sit out at the same time. All for an all-star game that wasn't needed.

Safety protocols -- expected to include players arriving on Saturday and leaving on Sunday night under tight quarantines

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

Mark Jones on this ESPN broadcast says there's no young player he'd take over Tatum when taking into account contributions on both ends of the court. Outlandish, defensible, or outright true?

Big Tatum fan, so it's defensible but not really.  His own teammate is 1 year older and having a better season.  Weird comment.  Tatum does do something which doesn't always show up in the numbers and it's he can get or create his own shot, but in today's NBA, that's becoming a prerequisite to be in the league except for the 3 and D guys.  But for guys under 26, let's say, there are arguably a dozen players you could advocate for before Tatum.  I'd probably put him in the back half of the top 10.  Now if it's a very narrow comparison like 23 and younger than he's probably top 5.  

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I've got the Warriors game on my second TV. Steph dragging that team into playoff contention is just unreal. Generational talent. If they make the playoffs he should easily win MVP. He won't, but he should.

He’s cooled off a bit.  At one point he was 10/13 from deep.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Draymond's stat lines nowadays as the worst shooter in the NBA are hilarious. 0 points, 6 rebounds, 13 assists, 7 turnovers, 3 blocks. Two field goal attempts.

And 5 steals. 

In other news - Jokic recorded the 13th 50 pt and 12 dime night in NBA history tonight. 

https://stathead.com/tiny/DCOUy

Nuggets were without Murray and lost, however.