Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

-So football now has a top-5 paid coach and hoops a top-15 hire. What a statement by Scott Woodward and Texas A&M athletics, the 12th Man Foundation and all the way up and down the chain in terms of stepping up and making the commitment that it takes to achieve greatness on the gridiron and hardwood.

Because spending a lot of money on coaches ALWAYS works out.  Lulz.

Speaking of the Reed Arena

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/arena-bawl-6559042

The land Reed had promised to the university for the arena was appraised at $13 million during Houston's oil bust of the mid-'80s. "This area is hot, even in this terrible market," he told the Houston Chronicle. It was located in the fast-growing spot between Westheimer and I-10, just west of Cinco Ranch, and it seemed reasonable that the university would double its money. A&M negotiated arena funding from the legislature based on the land's value, but when the university could sell the acreage in 1997 for only a measly $1 million, critics cried fraud.

-Don't look now, but the Aggies actually NEEDED to hire a coach the caliber of Buzz Williams in order to keep up with what's going on across the Southeastern Conference.

My favorite part of this is his refusal to acknowledge that this is all about Texas Tech.

Sure, you guys made this move because the sec competition is really heating up, not because Texas Tech just did something in basketball that you haven't done since anyone watching was born.

Truth is, a bunch of aggy egos got hurt by another Texas school from the bdf having national success, so they did what aggy and twelve year old girls do when their feelings get hurt: they went shopping to make themselves feel better and overspent in the process.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

My favorite part of this is his refusal to acknowledge that this is all about Texas Tech.

Sure, you guys made this move because the sec competition is really heating up, not because Texas Tech just did something in basketball that you haven't done since anyone watching was born.

Truth is, a bunch of aggy egos got hurt by another Texas school from the bdf having national success, so they did what aggy and twelve year old girls do when their feelings get hurt: they went shopping to make themselves feel better and overspent in the process.

Can't really knock the hire and definitely think they got him at close to fair value. Considering his age, he is easily one of the Top 15 coaches. I figured they would have to pay $4.5M+ to get him. He is probably the best of the coaches that moves this off-season...assuming Tech pays bank to keep Beard.

Can't really knock the hire and definitely think they got him at close to fair value. Considering his age, he is easily one of the Top 15 coaches. I figured they would have to pay $4.5M+ to get him. He is probably the best of the coaches that moves this off-season...assuming Tech pays bank to keep Beard.
I should have prefaced my comment by saying I don't follow basketball at all, nor do I know anything about the coach or if they got him at a good value.

I do know that they made this move bc of jealousy over Tech's success and not because of some mythical surging in the sec that forced their hand, and I assumed they overpaid to get him, because aggy.

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

You forgot the part about stuffing junk food in their mouths.

16 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

The hilarious part is Buzz begged for the job years ago and would’ve cost much less. 

What got me is that billy claims, like he does for all of their job vacancies, that there was interest from many “pretty damn big-time” coaches. But those coaches go unnamed as usual. Then he says buzz was always at the top of the list, as he’s said about jimbo and elko and probably others. 

How amazing that their top pick out of a slew of big time coaches just happens to have a history at aggy and would quickly take the job.

47 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I should have prefaced my comment by saying I don't follow basketball at all, nor do I know anything about the coach or if they got him at a good value.

I do know that they made this move bc of jealousy over Tech's success and not because of some mythical surging in the sec that forced their hand, and I assumed they overpaid to get him, because aggy.

There's been buzz about Buzz since before the tourney. It wasn't because of Tech.

Tarp article for Day 9 highlights Baylor Cupp as moving up to play with the 1s and goes on at length about how impactful it is that he's made that move. The interesting part is that a WR named Ke’undre Azakytu also played with the 1s and didn't get the same kind of writeup. Azakytu is a walk-on Soph. 

there were a couple of other gems from the notes, this one is probably my favorite ::

Both Myles Jones and Anthony Hines, who missed this past season with injuries, are beginning to find their way into more drills as the spring goes on. Jones actually was with the second unit in the 11 on air segment that the defense always opens practice with and he moves pretty well for someone who has a cast on his hand.

and of course we get some good Ag replies ::

Is it a stretch to say Cupp could be the best recieving TE in the SEC next year?

If Jimbo can pull a Dabo and get Madu to come back for his senior like Christian Wilkins did then we have a real chance to push for an SEC title, CFP and Natty in 2020.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How can the defense do 11 on air drills?

I think it's in the B-Team style footage from their practices but it's basically a pursuit type drill. Snap of the ball and the entire 11 run to one side of the field. Now, they should all be taking proper pursuit angles, even in this shitty B-Team style drill, but they don't. They basically just run to the sideline over and over. 

Va Tech was a tip-in away from taking Duke (Buzz has beaten Coach K FOUR times in ACC play, by the way) to overtime and potentially knocking off Zion and the Blue Devils en route to the Elite Eight

just ran out of tip. Already claiming moral victories 

2 minutes ago, TexasGolf said:

Va Tech was a tip-in away from taking Duke (Buzz has beaten Coach K FOUR times in ACC play, by the way) to overtime and potentially knocking off Zion and the Blue Devils en route to the Elite Eight

Didn’t UCF almost beat duke as well in this tournament?  Is that coach also super amazing?

21 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Now, they should all be taking proper pursuit angles, even in this shitty B-Team style drill, but they don't. They basically just run to the sideline over and over. 

I was listening to an NBA scout last week talking about how much he enjoyed visiting a Texas Tech basketball practice because of the quick, efficient, detailed, and thorough drillwork, and he was commenting on how the best teams are almost always the best practicing teams, too. I was driving through aggy's campus at the time, so this "drill" was one of the first things I thought of. Snork.

• Haha 1

The dick breaths have to give everyone they employ or coach a nickname.

”J-Mo”

I think it’s a sign of their insecurity. They have to feel like they know everyone personally so they can vicariously live their lives through someone else.

2 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

South Austin's mom loves it when I run out of tip and give her the whole enchilada.

5 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

with all that SEC redneck rich money going to buzz I guess they don't need any from the legislature, right?

That should be the case but Sharp is a political monster, we put him in charge of the Harvey relief cash and he promptly set the 12th man scam. Pretty much this:

9 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

He is Mack Brown 2.0, he road Winston to a title and now he is desperately looking for a copy like Mack did with guys like swoopes and case.

Wait, are you saying Mack thought Case was a copy of Vince, or his brother? Either way, what a senile old fuck Mack became there at the end.

10 minutes ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

"The price of poker has gone up in the SEC and Ol' Sarge just sauntered through the swinging doors, threw a chair down and forced his way into a spot at the table."

misspelled stall

aggy = Billy Bob

1 hour ago, UcancallmeSurly said:

"The price of poker has gone up in the SEC and Ol' Sarge just sauntered through the swinging doors, threw a chair down and forced his way into a spot at the table."

misspelled stall

I guess this means Loochi is admitting aggy wasn't even at the table until now - supposedly.

Edited by Chopper

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

They are building a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. They forge their spirits in the tradition of their ancestors. Demas has their gratitude.

Han???

You have offended my family, and a Shaolin temple.....

Edited by SHOOTER12