Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

49 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Garret Hayes couldn’t go on Saturday because of Prom. 

Asked what about now since game moved to Friday, he said nope, has Pre-Prom stuff. 

Pre-Prom 

That’s a new one 

Kind of like when EJ was in the process of getting engaged.

Umanmielen spends day at A&M, likes what he sees at scrimmage

VIP ByBRIAN PERRONI 33 minutes ago

On Wednesday, Texas A&M held its final scrimmage of the spring. While the Aggies have mostly had visitors on the weekends, one big target was in town for the scrimmage this week.

Manor four-star defensive end Princely Umanmielen will be at Texas for the spring game this weekend but wanted to make it to Aggieland before the end of spring ball.

"Coach Price texted me asking me to go down," the 6-foot-4, 256-pound defender said while on his way back home. "I was supposed to go down there last week but I couldn't make it. So, he said if I could make it this Wednesday, it would be great. So I came down."

Umanmielen says the visit was a low-pressure affair as he continued to make himself comfortable in Aggieland.

"It was good. I had a lot fun," he said. "I got to watch them scrimmage and talk to the coaches and pretty much just keep familiarizing myself with A&M.

"I talked to a lot of the coaches. A lot of it was the same stuff that we always talk about. They told me how important I was to them and that they really wanted me there.

Umanmielen came away impressed with the defensive side of the ball.

"They scrimmaged and I watched the defense really close," he said. "I liked the speed of their game. They were really getting after the quarterback, putting a lot of pressure on the quarterback."

Umanmielen does not have any official visits scheduled yet, but that could change soon.

"Oklahoma has talked to me about setting up an official but I haven't done so yet. I'll probably take a couple this spring or summer and then a couple more later. Then I'll make a decision."

Though he is still open to others, Umanmielen says a quartet of schools have his close attention at this point.

"A&M, OU and Texas, they are all still up there," he said. "Today definitely helped A&M in my eyes. It does every time I'm there. Oregon, they're also up there now. They offered recently and I've been talking to them a lot.

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jeez. I really can’t think of who they lead for/elite guys they’re in it with, besides most of our DL targets, of course, lulz.

If they’re getting Collins and Broughton to the spring game but still saying it’s a shitty list, then it must be pretty barren besides those two. 

More barren than Karen.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, aggy is so fucked. Their OL must be a complete shit show if that DL is getting pressure at will.

Madu is good but your point remains. What DE is rushing them? Clemons? Bobby Brown? Tyree Johnson? 

Have any of them even played in a college game yet?

7 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Madu is good but your point remains. What DE is rushing them? Clemons? Bobby Brown? Tyree Johnson? 

Have any of them even played in a college game yet?

Brown looked good last year when he played, but he's since gotten fat and moved inside where his lack of motor will make him a liability 

57 minutes ago, Fud said:

Brown looked good last year when he played, but he's since gotten fat and moved inside where his lack of motor will make him a liability 

Not that I'm trying to quibble, but isn't a lack of motor just as much of a liability at DE as it will be at DT? As a DE, you take off plays. As a DT, you take off plays?

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not that I'm trying to quibble, but isn't a lack of motor just as much of a liability at DE as it will be at DT? As a DE, you take off plays. As a DT, you take off plays?

I think it gets worse as you add weight to your body and your energy level and endurance go down, especially if it's not good weight 

Edited by Fud
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think it gets worse as you add weight to your body and your energy level and endurance go down, especially if it's not good weight 

I still can’t figure out how we don’t just show recruits a before and after of Brown and automatically win the recruitments of guys like Collins, Broughton, Leal, and Princely. aggy tells all these huge lineamen in HS they need to be a DE in a 4-3, but really most guys like Leal, Broughton, and Princely will get fattened up to well over 300 LBs like Brown and spend most of their time at DT.

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I still can’t figure out how we don’t just show recruits a before and after of Brown and automatically win the recruitments of guys like Collins, Broughton, Leal, and Princely. aggy tells all these huge lineamen in HS they need to be a DE in a 4-3, but really most guys like Leal, Broughton, and Princely will get fattened up to well over 300 LBs like Brown and spend most of their time at DT.

They view Brown as a positive, all of them. Even their Houston Chronicle guy has talked about it. 

12 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Umanmielen spends day at A&M, likes what he sees at scrimmage

VIP ByBRIAN PERRONI 33 minutes ago

On Wednesday, Texas A&M held its final scrimmage of the spring. While the Aggies have mostly had visitors on the weekends, one big target was in town for the scrimmage this week.

Manor four-star defensive end Princely Umanmielen will be at Texas for the spring game this weekend but wanted to make it to Aggieland before the end of spring ball.

"Coach Price texted me asking me to go down," the 6-foot-4, 256-pound defender said while on his way back home. "I was supposed to go down there last week but I couldn't make it. So, he said if I could make it this Wednesday, it would be great. So I came down."

Umanmielen says the visit was a low-pressure affair as he continued to make himself comfortable in Aggieland.

"It was good. I had a lot fun," he said. "I got to watch them scrimmage and talk to the coaches and pretty much just keep familiarizing myself with A&M.

"I talked to a lot of the coaches. A lot of it was the same stuff that we always talk about. They told me how important I was to them and that they really wanted me there.

Umanmielen came away impressed with the defensive side of the ball.

"They scrimmaged and I watched the defense really close," he said. "I liked the speed of their game. They were really getting after the quarterback, putting a lot of pressure on the quarterback."

Umanmielen does not have any official visits scheduled yet, but that could change soon.

"Oklahoma has talked to me about setting up an official but I haven't done so yet. I'll probably take a couple this spring or summer and then a couple more later. Then I'll make a decision."

Though he is still open to others, Umanmielen says a quartet of schools have his close attention at this point.

"A&M, OU and Texas, they are all still up there," he said. "Today definitely helped A&M in my eyes. It does every time I'm there. Oregon, they're also up there now. They offered recently and I've been talking to them a lot.

Does any report of a recruit's visit ever say "He was underwhelmed, he said he liked Alabama much better"? I always wonder if there is any value to those kinds of reports except just to note that a recruit visited. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Does any report of a recruit's visit ever say "He was underwhelmed, he said he liked Alabama much better"? I always wonder if there is any value to those kinds of reports except just to note that a recruit visited. 

No.  No value.  The most negative thing you'll hear from aggy is along the lines of: "He likes us more than most realize" or "Jimbo really made up some ground on this visit".  Even if both of those net relative measurements are truly in the basement.

Tarp's 5 things we want to see from the spring game :: 

Texas A&M's spring game has a different format than most in that captains choose different position groups (starting offensive tackles, backup defensive tackles, etc.) in order to not only maintain the continuity of teammates playing with each other (important for units that require some coordination such as the offensive line and the secondary) but also to balance them out between the two teams. This made last year's game particularly competitive which went down to the last play with both starting units on the field and turned out to be as entertaining as a spring game could possible get.

As a result, the format provided a pretty decent indicator of the season ahead in terms of strengths (Jace Sternberger with eight receptions) and issues (the secondary giving up multiple long balls). This season's spring game should do the same and here's what I'm looking for out of both teams and the roster as a whole.

THE SECONDARY

So far, we haven't heard about how the secondary is holding up in spring ball because apparently the front four has provided sufficient pressure that it's been difficult to get much going in the downfield passing game (and it hasn't helped that multiple top end receivers have missed significant time with injuries). Last year, A&M's back line gave up a lot of big plays in the spring game and that trend continued during the season. Good things are being said about Leon O'Neal's size and closing speed and Debione Renfro has been his consistent self at one of the cornerback spots. However, if A&M's receivers show up en masse at Kyle Field (and that could be a big if due to health considerations) it will be interesting to see if A&M continues to play more two high looks (at the snap) which can prevent big plays or goes with one high looks (and continues to struggle down the field).

BACKUP QUARTERBACK

Unlike last season, Kellen Mond is firmly entrenched as A&M's number one based not only on his play last year but also the fact that only Connor Blumrick has any experience behind him. If the teams split up the quarterbacks, then Blumrick will have a lot of responsibility riding on his shoulders to see if he can match Mond pass for pass, particularly if the pass rush (which has been pretty good in spring ball) makes his life difficult. In addition, James Foster will get a chance to make some plays on the move (which could be a strength even if he's not necessarily ready to be a pocket passer yet) and we'll see where Zach Calzada is heading into the off season.

Nonetheless, A&M won't have the luxury of having a backup with multiple starting games under their belt in 2019.

INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE

Ryan McCollum at center and Jared Hocker at guard have been adequate on the interior for A&M so far this spring. However, the other starting guard spot has been in a state of flux. Veteran Grayson Reed is out this spring with a torn pectoral muscle and redshirt freshmen Tank Jenkins and Luke Matthews have been "okay" in the words of head coach Jimbo Fisher. As a result, senior Colton Prater has been elevated to the first unit but he's considered a little undersized and a better utility player as a backup as opposed to a starting player.

Fans would really like to see one of the bigger, younger players step up and solidify the starting five but that may be asking too much of them right now, particularly because the Aggies' interior defenders are deeper and bigger than ever. Reed was very good in the spring game last year and people would feel better if one of the younger players had something of a breakout moment on Friday night but that may be too much to expect. Prater is technically sound and makes fewer mistakes which at least gives A&M a chance to run its offense and it will also be interesting to see how he fares against A&M's talented but young defensive tackles.

YOUTH NEEDS TO BE SERVED AT TIGHT END...BUT AS RUN BLOCKERS

A lot of eyes are going to be focused on freshman Baylor Cupp who has all of the tools from a pass catching standpoint but needs to grow into the position from a physical one. A&M got a lot out of its tight ends last season, not just from Sternberger as a receiver but he and Trevor Wood as blockers. If A&M's offensive line and running game are going to be productive on a similar level in 2019, it starts Friday night with Cupp and Glenn Beal being able to help out on the edge like Wood and Sternberger did in 2018.

MICHEAL CLEMONS

The Aggies were one of the country's best run defenses in 2018 and their pass rush was keyed by putting opponents in favorable down and distance situations by stopping the run as opposed to any real rush from the edge. Most of the pressure seemed to come from the interior and that may be the case in the spring game as well this year as the Aggies can rotate in any number of formidable defenders at defensive tackle to make quarterbacks uncomfortable with people in their face (even if they don't get a sack). Although A&M was one of the better defenses around on third down, they struggled to prevent long plays in the passing game and although they coverage was an issue they didn't speed up opposing quarterbacks up very often to reduce the amount of time they had to hold the ball and attack a vulnerable secondary.

This spring, Micheal Clemons has reportedly wrecked shop on the edge versus quality offensive tackles and he could well be the Aggies' best pass rusher even though he's supposed to be more of an edge setter versus the run. He has a lot of length and he's filled out his frame to 275 pounds while learning how to use his hands and improve his get off (he didn't know how to get in a three point stance when he arrived in College Station in the summer of 2017). He could provide an edge presence in the pass rush that was missing to an extent last season and help out a secondary that was the weak link on last year's defense.

15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This spring, Micheal Clemons has reportedly wrecked shop on the edge versus quality offensive tackles and he could well be the Aggies' best pass rusher even though he's supposed to be more of an edge setter versus the run.

A guy who never played in a 3 point stance comes to college station, gets hurt his first year, then the next year “wrecked shop” as a rusher even though he’s not supposed to be rushing but setting the edge. 

Riggggght

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

A guy who never played in a 3 point stance comes to college station, gets hurt his first year, then the next year “wrecked shop” as a rusher even though he’s not supposed to be rushing but setting the edge. 

Riggggght

No, no, it's true. Burnt barbeque has magical pass-rush inducing properties.

35:10 - 39:50

Looch and Brauninger talk about Carrington's tweet trolling OU, calling him an assclown, among other things, but Looch says he wishes they didn't talk about him because that's the exposure he would want (says the guy who does nothing but talk shit about UT at least 4 hours a week on his radio network) 

And other stuff that's not worthy of listening to, but they're spinning moving their spring game, and how they're generally about to win everything in football and basketball now. 

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/texags.blob.core.windows.net/audio/0115947-dndf.mp3

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

35:10 - 39:50

Looch and Brauninger talk about Carrington's tweet trolling OU, calling him an assclown, among other things, but Looch says he wishes they didn't talk about him because that's the exposure he would want (says the guy who does nothing but talk shit about UT at least 4 hours a week on his radio network) 

And other stuff that's not worthy of listening to, but they're spinning moving their spring game, and how they're generally about to win everything in football and basketball now. 

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/texags.blob.core.windows.net/audio/0115947-dndf.mp3

"TX shouldn't be talking because ou owns them.. yeah they beat them once but lost when it really mattered"  How come billy doesn't see this when talking about LSU, bama? LOL

Spoiler

Running weekend recruiting thread

Ryan Brauninger

5:57p

Staff

With as fluid as the visitor situation looks like it's going to be, I figured I'd sticky a running thread for the entire weekend. We didn't put out a traditional list because most of the kids we've talked to or head from sources on are still working out what they're going to do. We will update this thread as we get word on visitors through the night and into the day tomorrow.

So, let's start with some things I know (...at least things I think I know):

- Camden (NJ) DE Fadil Diggs will be in town with his mom. Aggies continue to trend here. 

- Ft Bend Austin WR Troy Omeire is coming to College Station. He will also visit Texas the following day. 

- I spoke with Demond Demas earlier today. He will be in town again this weekend. Unsure of how long he'll stay. 

- There will be a group of kids come in on Saturday still even without the Spring Game. OL commit Josh Bankhead will be one of those. 

- I still expect all the official visits to take place with the question mark being Charlotte (NC) WR Muhsin Muhammad III. He tweeted that he'd be at Kentucky tomorrow. That doesn't mean he won't make it to College Station though. The last bit of intel I had gotten indicated he would still be coming, but we are waiting confirmation one way or the other. 

- To recap, those other OV's are Braedon MowryJosh EllisonJaylon Jones, and Maliq Carr

Miscellaneous

- I've spoken with Vernon BroughtonAlfred CollinsTunmise AdeleyeSmart Chibuzo, and Kameron Dewberry all in the last couple of days. Each one of them said they were trying to do what they could to get to College Station tomorrow. They were working on logistics with rides. 

- A&M Consolidated WR Devin Price thought the reschedule may help his case to come to the game, but his 7 on 7 team is heading to Dallas tonight instead of tomorrow to compete in a big time tournament. 

- I've again heard twice in the last day or so that the Aggies hold all the momentum with Memphis (TN) OL Chris Morris. The sources I've heard from are very plugged in. That would classify as a real out of state coup on the offensive line should A&M land him. 

- I believe A&M would put another recruiting weekend together if they felt they needed to before the end of the semester. 

4 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:
  Hide contents

Running weekend recruiting thread

Ryan Brauninger

5:57p

Staff

With as fluid as the visitor situation looks like it's going to be, I figured I'd sticky a running thread for the entire weekend. We didn't put out a traditional list because most of the kids we've talked to or head from sources on are still working out what they're going to do. We will update this thread as we get word on visitors through the night and into the day tomorrow.

So, let's start with some things I know (...at least things I think I know):

- Camden (NJ) DE Fadil Diggs will be in town with his mom. Aggies continue to trend here. 

- Ft Bend Austin WR Troy Omeire is coming to College Station. He will also visit Texas the following day. 

- I spoke with Demond Demas earlier today. He will be in town again this weekend. Unsure of how long he'll stay. 

- There will be a group of kids come in on Saturday still even without the Spring Game. OL commit Josh Bankhead will be one of those. 

- I still expect all the official visits to take place with the question mark being Charlotte (NC) WR Muhsin Muhammad III. He tweeted that he'd be at Kentucky tomorrow. That doesn't mean he won't make it to College Station though. The last bit of intel I had gotten indicated he would still be coming, but we are waiting confirmation one way or the other. 

- To recap, those other OV's are Braedon MowryJosh EllisonJaylon Jones, and Maliq Carr

Miscellaneous

- I've spoken with Vernon BroughtonAlfred CollinsTunmise AdeleyeSmart Chibuzo, and Kameron Dewberry all in the last couple of days. Each one of them said they were trying to do what they could to get to College Station tomorrow. They were working on logistics with rides. 

- A&M Consolidated WR Devin Price thought the reschedule may help his case to come to the game, but his 7 on 7 team is heading to Dallas tonight instead of tomorrow to compete in a big time tournament. 

- I've again heard twice in the last day or so that the Aggies hold all the momentum with Memphis (TN) OL Chris Morris. The sources I've heard from are very plugged in. That would classify as a real out of state coup on the offensive line should A&M land him. 

- I believe A&M would put another recruiting weekend together if they felt they needed to before the end of the semester. 

Going to be hilarious if Collins, Broughton, Adeleye, and Dewberry don't make it.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

With such a tough schedule, could A&M have a better team than 2018 but still have an equal or worse record? What's one game you think the Aggies could "steal?"

Liucci: Without question. In theory, the Aggies could be the nation's 10th best football team (better than last fall) and play four teams ranked higher than that, including three of the top four in the preseason polls. 

If there's one game the Aggies could 'steal' out of the big three, it might just be Alabama. The game will be played at Kyle Field, where A&M took down LSU and played national champion Clemson to the final snap in Fisher's first season. And the Tide suffered heavy personnel losses on defense (even heavier than usual). 

d91.gif

"Without question. In theory,..."  Well, which is it Billy? 

Bama loses guys but no mention of replacing 5 of the front 7 on the aggy defense plus their best safety nor about replacing T. Williams and  Sternberger's productivity.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1