Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Depends on when it happened. It might have happened awhile ago, and word is just now getting out. But if it just happened recently, then yeah, he probably won't contribute much until the middle of the season or so, if at all 

I assume it is his right arm.

Might have trouble giving it the needed rest.

I love a good quick aggy group think about face. OL recruiting has the makings of a great one. 

For 3 years now:  trust the marine. LOS league. Easier to take off bad weight than build up good weight. 

Then Turner leaves, Henson comes in, the fat recruits start looking around either of their own accord or are being pushed out. The new guys Henson is looking at are the 270-280 lb guys with room to fill out. 

Narrative IMMEDIATELY changes to be supportive of the new coach and his choices, with that one dude Hayes I think suddenly becoming the best tackle prospect in the class as soon as he is identified as an aggy prospect. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I love a good quick aggy group think about face. OL recruiting has the makings of a great one. 

For 3 years now:  trust the marine. LOS league. Easier to take off bad weight than build up good weight. 

Then Turner leaves, Henson comes in, the fat recruits start looking around either of their own accord or are being pushed out. The new guys Henson is looking at are the 270-280 lb guys with room to fill out. 

Narrative IMMEDIATELY changes to be supportive of the new coach and his choices, with that one dude Hayes I think suddenly becoming the best tackle prospect in the class as soon as he is identified as an aggy prospect. 

...with absolutely ZERO sense of irony or self reflection.  Those people are so dishonest it's not even funny.

They have a great thread about their starting OL. I can't figure out which post is the most delusional. Seriously

We need this group to be really really good.

LT: Dan Moore 
LG: Jared Hocker 
😄 Ryan McCollum 
RG: Grayson Reed/Tank Jenkins/Kenyon Green 
RT: Carson Green

I feel good about all the other position groups — linebacker is concerning, but not that important in the greater sheme of things — but OL is key.

This group has huge potential. Let’s goooo

You should add Matthews to the mix. He was really good in HS and has had a year with Schmidtty. He should be outstanding especially considering all the moves and techniques B Matthews has shown him over the years.

Yes and we all want the best man to start. But the best case scenario is that Grayson Reed, who is a mountain of a man, has a breakout year as a third year sophomore on his way to eventually becoming an all-SEC lineman. But as you said, we’ll see in the Fall.

The reason this group is key is that this position group is filled with guys who weren’t particularly highly recruited but were identified by Turner as guys who could play at a high level in the SEC. Three of them didn’t redshirt and were forced to play early. This will be year 3 for those 3 returning starters. We need this group to be even better than last year as a unit, despite missing McCoy, who was lightly recruited himself. No one knows if Moore, Hocker and Carson Green can be elite players. We hope so.

He's a rs fish. Also remember our guys are going against the best of the best dt's and that means they are getting their asses whipped.

Luke was backup tackle last year. They were going to red shirt him unless something happened long term to Moore or Green.

Our strongest position on the team right now is big body dl. We have them in droves. Madubuike will be a higher pick than D Mack or Keke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

But the best case scenario is that Grayson Reed, who is a mountain of a man, has a breakout year as a third year sophomore on his way to eventually becoming an all-SEC lineman. But as you said, we’ll see in the Fall.

It's a good thing that 2019 starter extraordinaire Grayson Reed tore his pec and will miss the entire offseason and probably most of fall camp so that it'll give the backups more time against the best DTs in the SEC south east 

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's a good thing that 2019 starter extraordinaire Grayson Reed tore his pec and will miss the entire offseason and probably most of fall camp so that it'll give the backups more time against the best DTs in the SEC south east 

Correct. Why would Reed who has redshirted and not played a single down in his RS FR season need to get any reps? Did you not see him dominate in the spring game last you you stupid sip? LOS league. LOS HC. Hand picked by The Marine. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Actually, no, that's not what I heard. That's just what most of the board assumed because of the timing of Akinola's de-commitment. 

That's interesting, I always thought it was Akinola as well.

Would Akinola have been a take for this staff? How would he have compared to, say, Damien George for the final OL spot?

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

That's interesting, I always thought it was Akinola as well.

Would Akinola have been a take for this staff? How would he have compared to, say, Damien George for the final OL spot?

I dont think so, but that's just my opinion. George has an offer because Evans. I think Akinola is probably a better prospect than George, but it's a moot point, I don't think either were takes on their own merit. Again, my opinion. 

A&M's OL finished 60th in line yards  and 97th in sack rate last year. 

They lose their best offensive lineman in McCoy. McCoy might have been "lightly recruited" but he was a very good player which is why he's rising up draft boards. A&M likely doesn't have another OL with the same level talent as McCoy. Then they lose Williams who is the big reason they had some success in the run game last year.

A&M's OL was average last year in the run game and below average in pass pro. Now they lose their best OL and best RB. Maybe there is huge development with some of those other guys but common sense says their OL will be average at best next year. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Something has to power the roller coaster up the climbs.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Correct. Why would Reed who has redshirted and not played a single down in his RS FR season need to get any reps? Did you not see him dominate in the spring game last you you stupid sip? LOS league. LOS HC. Hand picked by The Marine. 

Anytime a guy who’s started 0 games gets 0 reps in the offseason, it’s a really good sign he’ll be an all conference player.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont think so, but that's just my opinion. George has an offer because Evans. I think Akinola is probably a better prospect than George, but it's a moot point, I don't think either were takes on their own merit. Again, my opinion. 

*mute

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think Jake Majors took Akinola's spot

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

D27N9obU8AA9BC8.jpg

Texas Tech is tougher to get into than aggy. To give aggy credit, they are slightly ahead of Texas State on acceptance rate (67% v. 71%). Big win.

The tradition of the jizz jar and list eater cannot be matched anywhere in CFB, so they have everyone there. I'm assuming that's what they mean by tradition.

SEC competition: the top two SEC teams got their shit pushed in by Clemson and an okay Texas team.

NFL Pedigree, i think they are confusing pedigree with the dog food. #meatjudging

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5* TE from Georgia visiting aggy today.  All crystal ball picks to Georgia.  Aggy posters thinking they will get him like they did Nakobe Dean.

https://247sports.com/Player/Arik-Gilbert-94709/

Unless he is a fan of J. Geils Band "First I Look At The Purse"?

And he's poking at them. Aggy thinks he's a lock.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

With Ken Seals to Vanderbilt, Haynes King eventually to LSU, and Hornsby seemingly fallen out of favor by the A&M staff, I'm curious as to who they're actually targeting at QB? They need a high floor guy after taking two projects, imo

50 minutes ago, Fud said:

With Ken Seals to Vanderbilt, Haynes King eventually to LSU, and Hornsby seemingly fallen out of favor by the A&M staff, I'm curious as to who they're actually targeting at QB? They need a high floor guy after taking two projects, imo

Anyone with 247 or Texags got anything?

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The last time a thread popped up that I linked to, they seemed intent on pressing Jackson at Duncanville to be their QB1, but it was never followed up with any tangible mod stories or interviews, etc.  

Aside from Jameis Winston, Jimbo's QB recruiting as head coach hasn't lived up to his QB guru billing (Ponder and Manuel were before he was HC). I don't think Foster and Calzada were good takes, although to be fare Foster was in a transition year, and Clint Trickett, Jacob Coker, Sean Maguire, John Franklin, JJ Cosentino, Deondre Francois, De'Andre Johnson, Malik Henry, James Blackman, and Bailey Hockman have won a grand total of 15 games. It'll be interesting to see if he takes another big armed raw pocket passer who the teams in the kid's region passed on again this cycle. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Fud said:

Aside from Jameis Winston, Jimbo's QB recruiting as head coach hasn't lived up to his QB guru billing (Ponder and Manuel were before he was HC). I don't think Foster and Calzada were good takes, although to be fare Foster was in a transition year, and Clint Trickett, Jacob Coker, Sean Maguire, John Franklin, JJ Cosentino, Deondre Francois, De'Andre Johnson, Malik Henry, James Blackman, and Bailey Hockman have won a grand total of 15 games. It'll be interesting to see if he takes another big armed raw pocket passer who the teams in the kid's region passed on again this cycle. 

He is Mack Brown 2.0, he road Winston to a title and now he is desperately looking for a copy like Mack did with guys like swoopes and case.

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

He is Mack Brown 2.0, he road Winston to a title and now he is desperately looking for a copy like Mack did with guys like swoopes and case.

I don't really see them as remotely similar, tbh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Anyone with 247 or Texags got anything?

They think they are still in it with Seals. But I don't think they have any idea who they are targeting for QB. 

Spoiler

Jason Howell

9:03a

Staff

Great get for Vanderbilt. Seals is the real deal. That said, the Aggies continue to keep in touch and develop that relationship. I expect coach Dickey to keep a close eye on Seals.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

They think they are still in it with Seals. But I don't think they have any idea who they are targeting for QB. 

Hide contents

Jason Howell

9:03a

Staff

Great get for Vanderbilt. Seals is the real deal. That said, the Aggies continue to keep in touch and develop that relationship. I expect coach Dickey to keep a close eye on Seals.

Vanderbilt is the type of school that you can fall in love with and pass on the big local schools. I don't think it's a sure thing that they could flip him down the road. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Technically, Manuel was recruited by Jimbo when he was OC but Ponder was there before Jimbo's arrival.

What most people don't know about Jameis is that he would frequently change the plays from what Jimbo called. He was often at odds with Jimbo over this but we all saw the end result.

Other than Jameis, his QB recruiting at FSU was abysmal. He chose players with high upsides that had major red flags (Henry, Johnson, Francois) or projects he thought he could mold into the next John Elway (Coker, Cosentino, Blackman, Hockman and Maguire)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fud said:

What happened to the savior Hornsby ?

Basketball, but still worth the laugh. 

Spoiler

Liucci

9:21a

Staff

AG

-First off, the reports of a $5 million annual salary are way off. What I'm hearing is $3.8 in year one and that will increase to $4.4 steadily over the course of a six-year deal (it's a 100K escalation annually) That puts Buzz in the top-15 nationally in terms of salary, which seems very fair.

-Quick timeline update: The new Aggie head coach met with his A&M players Wednesday evening for over an hour and he'll be introduced as the TAMU basketball boss this afternoon at 4 p.m. I'm sure the next step will involve assembling his staff and meeting face-to-face with three of A&M's four 2019 signees.

-Speaking of Williams' staff, rumors continue to swirl that he'll eventually add LSU interim head coach Tony Benford and Texas assistant Jai Lucas to the staff while bringing VT assistant Jamie McNeilly with him to College Station. I think some of this stuff is still extremely fluid but I've had multiple college basketball types tell me that an A&M staff featuring those names would be a "monster on the recruiting front, both in Texas and nationally."

-So football now has a top-5 paid coach and hoops a top-15 hire. What a statement by Scott Woodward and Texas A&M athletics, the 12th Man Foundation and all the way up and down the chain in terms of stepping up and making the commitment that it takes to achieve greatness on the gridiron and hardwood.

-Someone tweeted "Sign Scott Woodward to a lifetime contract." I agree. What he's done in getting Jimbo and Buzz on campus is nothing short of remarkable. Go look at the reaction to each hire on the national level and within the respective sports for proof if you need it.

-What the Ags did here is hire a coach with a more impressive resume than any incoming basketball coach in Texas A&M history. Every single hire from Shelby Metcalf (an in-house promotion) has been a mid-major coming off a successful (to whatever degree) first weekend of an NCAA tournament or, at most, two. Kermit Davis, Tony Barone, Melvin Watkins, BCG, Mark Turgeon, Billy Kennedy...all mid-major hires who got their first shot to prove themselves at the major conference level in College Station.

Buzz Williams arrives having taken Marquette to multiple Sweet Sixteens, an Elite Eight and two Big East championships and he led Virginia Tech to a Sweet Sixteen berth and three straight NCAA tournaments. Prior to Williams' arrival in Blacksburg, the Hokies had punched a ticket to the Big Dance just two in the previous 30 years. Let me say it differently, what Buzz accomplished at VT - historically the second-worst program in the ACC - was on par with what his former boss and close friend Billy Clyde Gillispie accomplished (with Buzz's help) pulled off at A&M nearly 15 years ago.

Va Tech was a tip-in away from taking Duke (Buzz has beaten Coach K FOUR times in ACC play, by the way) to overtime and potentially knocking off Zion and the Blue Devils en route to the Elite Eight. Pulling a high-profile head coach away from a fellow P5 program while said coach was still ascending and just entering his prime simply hasn't been something that Texas A&M does. The Aggies are actually usually on the other side of that (see BCG to UK and Turgeon to Maryland). Not anymore, which is why the Williams hire represents at very clear culture and commitment shift in Aggieland. Go read the articles, listen to the national shows and watch some sports television this morning. The college basketball world has taken notice.

-I'll tell you who deserves a great deal of credit in the Buzz Williams hire. Justin Moore. He's moved from football to work as an Associate AD for Scott following the 2017 football season and has settled nicely into the role. Woodward gave him a tremendous amount of responsibility on this all-important hire and, based on what I've been told (and would expect), he was an absolute pro. A real feather in the cap for the aspiring AD. Between J-Mo and Deputy Director of Athletics Stephane Rempe (she'll be running the show somewhere in the very near future, as well), the Aggie AD has a tremendous support staff. This hire doesn't happen without both.

-Logan had a lot of great insight into the hire and what Buzz is all about as a coach but what I don't think folks are wrapping their heads around enough is the thought that the veteran head man SHOULD ultimately put the very best teams he's coached on the court at Reed Arena. For a coach that has taken Marquette to the Elite Eight and Va Tech to the Sweet Sixteen, that's saying something. He'll now be recruiting in his home state, where he's able to assemble a hand-picked staff and will be given whatever resources he needs to succeed. While I think the expectation is that Coach Buzz builds a program that participates in March Madness most years and regularly advances past the first weekend, the potential is that Williams could create an absolute monster inside of Reed Arena.

-Another thing that I believe speaks volumes is the fact that Williams just left Blacksburg after the most successful run in program history and the Hokies desperately wanted to hang on to him yet everything coming from the Va Tech side of things has been almost entirely slanted to the positive. It's very rare a coach leaves a job with virtually zero in the way of blowback, enraged fans or overwhelming negativity/sour grapes. The bottom line: The folks at VT loved Buzz too much to ever hate him and both he and the A&M decision-makers handled this thing the right way from start to finish.The Hokie fan base gets it: After a brief but unforgettable run in Orange and Black, Buzz Williams is simply coming home.

-Don't look now, but the Aggies actually NEEDED to hire a coach the caliber of Buzz Williams in order to keep up with what's going on across the Southeastern Conference. The SEC has enjoyed unprecedented success on the basketball court over the past few seasons and the league is only getting better. With Buzz in Maroon & White, the league now boasts six head coaches who have led teams to the Final Four (Coach Cal, Ben Howland, Frank Martin, Bruce Pearl, Tom Crean, Rick Barnes) and two others who have produced Elite Eight finishers (Williams and Mike White). Depending on what Arkansas pulls off, we could be talking about a conference where nine of the fourteen head coaches have led teams to at least the Elite Eight.

The price of poker has gone up in the SEC and Ol' Sarge just sauntered through the swinging doors, threw a chair down and forced his way into a spot at the table.

-Fun little factoid: When Buzz was here the first time, he loved Aggie football so much that he not only attended games and practices but even went so far as to sit on recruiting meetings. He loves the game, loves Aggieland and loves learning anything he can about coaching, no matter the sport. 

And if you've watched his Marquette and especially his VT teams play, you can see a little bit of that physical, football mentality on the hardwood. Buzz Williams teams are going to play incredibly hard and they are going to wear teams down with suffocating DEFENSE - the kind that A&M fans are going to appreciate as much as probably anything else.

-Woodward and his team considered several options in the very early going and drew interest from some pretty damn big-time names. They settled in on Buzz rather quickly, however, and never looked back. Why? Because there simply was not a better fit to be found anywhere - from his personality to coaching style to the resume and all the way on down. He's going to be to A&M basketball what Jimbo Fisher is to Aggie football: The absolute perfect fit.

-Love the connection to Billy Clyde, Acie, Joe and the entire gang that helped lead A&M to the most unforgettable run in A&M basketball history. Buzz's arrival suddenly gives everyone hope that Reed will not only be rocking again but that maybe, just maybe, the best is yet to come.