Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

51 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I've only seen the aggy highlights so...

If our team looked as bad, and our bleachers as sparsely populated, well.. it's going to be a very, very bad year.

Eh, our offense looked just as wonky. Defense looked good - zero sum game, obviously. Much fuller stands, though.

47 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Eh, our offense looked just as wonky. Defense looked good - zero sum game, obviously. Much fuller stands, though.

I haven't read any spring game threads or recaps so I'm not sure what the messageboard talking points are, but it's clear the struggles were a combination in perhaps more or less equal parts of the offense just not being sharp while the defense came out motivated after getting it's ass kicked in a previous scrimmage, the weather hurting down the field passing, the first team offensive line being out of sync, the second team offensive line getting destroyed because it's just not very good, and the defense knowing what the offense was doing most of the time after practicing against it for a month 

I think many aren't considering my last point 

5 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

So we’re talking shit about Aggy spring game performance and making excuses for ours, then.

Real good.

It's probably wise to not take much from Spring Games, especially overall struggles that can be explained away for various reasons. Green and Shark looking like at worst adequate starters was the story of the scrimmage for Texas. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's probably wise to not take much from Spring Games, especially overall struggles that can be explained away for various reasons. Green and Shark looking like at worst adequate starters was the story of the scrimmage for Texas. 

I remember in the early days of the Mack Brown era, a bunch of my buddies who went to the spring game came home raving ... about Courtnee Garcia. He’s going to have an amazing season! I wasn’t there, but 40+ thousand people were and everyone seemed exciting, on and off the Internet. And then the season started and I don’t think Garcia caught a pass all season. It’s been the same ever since. 

It’s perilous when people take too much away from all star games or single playoff games on tv for high schoolers, but I can’t argue there are tidbits or hints or snippets that are helpful. I don’t even think there’s that with a spring game. They’ve never indicated a fucking thing and I judge posters who wring their hands over it. Everyone mocked the aggie spring game last year as well. 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s perilous when people take too much away from all star games or single playoff games on tv for high schoolers, but I can’t argue there are tidbits or hints or snippets that are helpful. I don’t even think there’s that with a spring game. They’ve never indicated a fucking thing and I judge posters who wring their hands over it. Everyone mocked the aggie spring game last year as well. 

I went to the spring OW scrimmage in 1981 when Donnie Little & Rick McIvor we’re battling to be starting QB.  Called my buddy upon returning home & told him that I thought some walk-on was our best QB.  Didn’t seem to throw or run especially well, but moved the 2nd team offense against the 1’s on defense.  Well, Robert Brewer was the starter half way through a season where we beat Bama in the Cotton Bowl.

Unfortunately, that is the only significant tidbit I have gleaned in years of watching those, so have to concur with your basic sentiment.

My brother & I went this year.  Before the end of Q1, it looked like a big bag of nothing and was pretty cold.  We went to the hotel and watched the second half on LHN.😉

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

51:30 - 54:15

Looch and Brauninger try to take a swipe at Texas for the Spring Game offense and how cold and windy it was... 

https://dts.podtrac.com/redirect.mp3/texags.blob.core.windows.net/audio/0116193-zcuc.mp3

He could only name 4!!! Bahaha!   3 OOS and a Blinn CB!🤣🤣🤣

I kind of agree with Brauninger on Conyers. The kid seems pretty luke warm after his Texas visit/offer. Gruver is a pretty small town, so he could be more comfortable in small town strip mall/chain restaurant Aggyland. 

You keep dreaming that dream on Hayes Looch. 

Brauninger ribbing Looch seems pretty good natured, but you know Chin Pubes will dock him a week's pay for his insolence. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Your weekly transcription

Brauninger: Questions from here at the tap. Uh, Surprised by the lack of public commitments for football this weekend, or expected due to the game moving?
Looch: Ah, um, we, I don't think we were expecting, but we, uh...I was expecting one, maybe two.  I think we said exactly what we said was I was expecting one, and then I followed that up with saying I could see a couple coming in the ensuing couple of weeks as a result of that. . 
Brauninger: I could see almost a handful in the coming weeks. The gauge of it, can't be, by public, and like. They did some really really good things with some of their top end targets. 
Looch: Yeah, And you always want the turn out to be better.  And I do think, I'll say this. Moving the game was tough. I do think. There was something about, something in the chain of promoting. They go to do something a little different I think, and I don't know what it is. So I'm not sitting here pretending to have the answers. Um, eh, I don't know if the ring day, home baseball game, and all that stuff helps attendance or hurts. And this year, when could you have done it? You can't do it easter weekend, you're not going to get the turn out you want. If you do it the weekend before, it's chili fest. And are you going to move spring ball up, or whatever. It, it. I don't know. I think, my point its, I think they had to have it this weekend. And then moving it because of the weather hurt. I don't know that I think. But then if you have it the weekend after parents weekend and ring day, then a ton of people are gonna say I'm not gonna go, I was just there. If almost like you have to. I don't know if it really helps. Then somebody will say, but , but Billy, if they hadn't of moved the game, it staggers perfectly. 
Brauninger: You had to move the game. There was a tornado 30 miles up the road and it could have been right here.
Looch: You had to move the game, no question. I'm just saying this, and that's what I'm saying. people are going to come at me about moving the game. You had to move the game. Well No crap, I'm not an idiot. I know that. Then people say, if wouldn't have had to move it, it would have been right after baseball, whatever it was going to be. Right before, it all fits, it all fit right in. Well no crap. I get that too. That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is, what I can't measure for you, but if you are honest with yourself, you know, it seemed like there was more buzz over like spring games at other places, social media wise. which is where these damn kids live now. I just think they need to do a little better job on the promotional side of it. 
Brauninger: Texas did, Texas did what they've done so much under Tom Herman, is they promise the moon and blew this thing out on social media. And when they showed up on Saturday, it was blustery and cold. And they combined for 18 points and 240 yards of total offense between two..
Looch: But yeah, but you are talking about something completely different than I am. No, don't
Brauninger: No I'm not.
Looch; You are completely talking about something different than I am. Yeah you are, go ahead.
Brauninger:  What I'm saying is, I was just taking a dig at Texas and not making a commentary on what A&M did. Or what A&M needs to do. 
Looch: I didn't know you were reversing field completely in the middle of this. 
Brauninger: Once again, I was right and you were wrong.  
Looch: No, no, no. You're wrong because. You went off the rails on a conversation. Now you are digging yourself back out of it in some feeble attempt. I'm not talking about the product they put on the field, or, or. Look, I think A&M plays a much more exciting brand of ball than Texas. I think they'd whip their ass on the field last year and I think they'd do it this year too. What I do think though, is that they, on social, which I know, it's social media, what does it matter in wins and loses, it doesn't. It plays a small part in affecting, you know the excitement level over these spring games, and where they go and attend. Look at how many people were in Norman this weekend. 
Brauniger: That was their big official visit weekend. They got three commitments, one of which, one kid I don't know who he was, a 2020, one kid a commitment out of 2021 kid out of Richmond Foster, which may help them with another 2021 kid out of Richmond Foster that was here this weekend in Reuben Fatherlee that A&M really wants and one of the top players in the class. To go back to recruiting, I think there will be some positive fallout for A&M from this weekend. I don't question that at all. 
Looch: I do too. Significant fallout. And I mean, why don't you go down the list here and name me the five guys Brauny, before we head out, the five guys you feel most confident about becoming Aggies coming out of this weekend, not all from this weekend, but just give your five guys in no particular order. Rattle em off
Brauniger: Chris Morris, offensive lineman from Tennessee.
Looch: Memphis, love him
Brauninger: Fadil Diggs, defensive end out of new jersey. Marco Domio, the cornerback from Blinn. And the defensive tackle tthey offered this weekend, Isaiah Rake, out of New Jersey.
Looch: Digg's teammate.
Brauniger: Not they're not teammates. they're just friends.
Looch: Oh yeah, they came together.
Brauinger: You're gonna make me go with a fifth? Uhhh...
Looch: I still think, if you're giving me a..., I still think their gonna end up getting Garrett Hayes before all is said and done. It's not easy.
Brauninger: Garret Hayes, Jayin Convers, There are some guys I feel confident about, but not above those 4
Looch: I agree. The one I want to see the fallout on, after this weekend in Norman is Ryan Watts. That's a guy I really want to see the, uh, Aggies go out and get at corner. 
THE ARISTOCRATS!

9b10aa2d163e018caca54dae04db6561.jpga4da9355b53b9afd0a81be16d9b2e08b.jpg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Suchomel-

Hide contents

2. Texas A&M’s spring game = not so lit

In talking to a few different prospects who attended both A&M’s spring game on Friday and Texas’ spring game on Saturday, it was interesting to hear the differences in opinions between the two events.

In talking about the Orange-White game, every prospect I’ve visited with has raved about the experience, the atmosphere and the energy (not so much about the cold temperatures). The reviews for A&M’s game, shall we say, were a bit more lukewarm.

“A&M, it was a little different. There was just way more energy at Texas,” said Joshua Eaton.

Broughton said he arrived a bit late for A&M’s game and left campus as soon as it ended, so he didn’t get a chance to talk to the Aggie coaching staff. At Texas, he received the red carpet treatment and said the energy at the two events was noticeably different.

“The stands at Texas were just rocking. It was live at Texas,” Broughton said. “It was all right at A&M.”

Safety Xavion Alford was another who took in both games. Like the other two, Alford said the experience at Texas was just on another level.

“A&M was nice, but Texas, I don’t know, but the Texas atmosphere was crazy,” Alford said. “There were a bunch of alumni guys out there - Michael Huff, Earl Thomas talking on the sideline. We were all laughing and having fun with guys like Anthony Cook, Josh Thompson, Caden Sterns.”

That's gonna go over really well.

Nice job Suchomel

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

That's gonna go over really well.

Nice job Suchomel

Hate mail incoming. 

But but but Demas and his chefs hat had a great time, as well as some scrub from NJ and some guy from TN that didn’t include aggy in their top 5. Why don't you mention that? <aggy>

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Suchomel-

Reveal hidden contents

In talking to a few different prospects who attended both A&M’s spring game on Friday and Texas’ spring game on Saturday, it was interesting to hear the differences in opinions between the two events.

In talking about the Orange-White game, every prospect I’ve visited with has raved about the experience, the atmosphere and the energy (not so much about the cold temperatures). The reviews for A&M’s game, shall we say, were a bit more lukewarm.

“A&M, it was a little different. There was just way more energy at Texas,” said Joshua Eaton.

Broughton said he arrived a bit late for A&M’s game and left campus as soon as it ended, so he didn’t get a chance to talk to the Aggie coaching staff. At Texas, he received the red carpet treatment and said the energy at the two events was noticeably different.

“The stands at Texas were just rocking. It was live at Texas,” Broughton said. “It was all right at A&M.”

Safety Xavion Alford was another who took in both games. Like the other two, Alford said the experience at Texas was just on another level.

“A&M was nice, but Texas, I don’t know, but the Texas atmosphere was crazy,” Alford said. “There were a bunch of alumni guys out there - Michael Huff, Earl Thomas talking on the sideline. We were all laughing and having fun with guys like Anthony Cook, Josh Thompson, Caden Sterns.”

“The Texas game atmosphere wasn’t really that different or great. It was just social media.”  Looch and Brauny #GoodBull

• Like 1

Just now, GRHorn said:

I went to a concert Saturday night, probably not gonna watch the Spring game. What was so #Lit about the atmosphere at the game? All the players have talked about it. Were there strippers in the stands?

The lower deck was fairly full at the start of the game. It cleared out a lot at halftime because it was so cold, so I'm glad the recruits still thought it was lit. 

I think all the pregame stuff was our best showing. There was a pretty big crowd for the players when they did the parade into the stadium.Also after the game there was a huge line for autographs on the field. The players were there for 45 minutes and they probably only got through a third of the line max.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Suchomel-

Hide contents

Damn. I know things have changed a bit over the last couple years but I never thought I would ever see people ever compliment our fans on the atmosphere we created, especially at a scrimmage.

That is CDC doing good work at AD because that is not something that organically happens around here.

• Like 5

Yeah Looch, aggy would beat Texas’s Ass in football.  If that douche had a spirit animal it would be an annoying little shit lap dog.  You know the one that barks through the privacy fence at your German Shepherd when it is let outside.  As soon as your dog approaches the fence it cowars and runs away.  The only thing protecting it from total annihilation is the privacy fence.

Edited by ShowmeyourTDs
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Yeah Looch, aggy would beat Tecas’s Ass in football.  If that douche had a spirit animal it would be an annoying little shit lap dog.  You know the one that barks through the privacy fence at your German Shepherd when it is let outside.  As soon as your dog approaches the fence it cowars and runs away.  The only thing protecting it from total annihilation is the privacy fence.

Somebody is projecting a little bit.

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I appreciate it though. I wanna laugh at it, but don’t wanna give him clicks. 

I find myself forcing myself to read them. It is a beating and terrible, but the unbelievable lack of self awareness, spin, and outright false information is astonishing.