Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

What is so ironic with all of this is with that completely retarded contract they gave washed up jimbo, him walking away would be a massive blessing. He isn't going to win a conference championship let alone a MNC while nick is at Alabama until at least 2022, maybe longer. Hire some D2 coach for 3.5 and wait.

But it is aggy and they will continue throwing money at the problem like the government with similar results.

31 minutes ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

If you’re Jimbo and you know LSU is the next stop, how are you not motivated to absolutely tank the shit out of A&M this year, both on field and in recruiting.  

I’d bend that program over like it was Candi backstage at the BET awards.  

The good thing for aggy is that Jimbo has a history of leaving his programs in a really good position to succeed moving forward.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Liucci is having a chat on texags. Calling@lobwedgephil

Spoiler

Liucci

9:38p

Staff

AG

Ready, set, GO!!!

Liucci

In reply to Legend • 9:45p

Staff

AG

Legend said:

How's it impact Jimbo?

I believe that will be perfectly fine so long as the powers that be actually let the head man have a LOT of input into the hiring process. That's just the way it HAS to be. He came here in large part because of his relationship with the AD so having a similar connection and working relationship sure feels like a must to me. I'm not worried about it because I'm convinced that's exactly what will happen. 

Liucci

In reply to BuLi97 • 9:46p

Staff

AG

BuLi97 said:

What are the details in Jimbo's contract if Woodward leaves? How does that affect buyout?

I don't believe there is a buyout. The buyout would be him enjoying wild success at a place that is giving him everything he needs to win a title, $7.5 million and eventually more (watch coaching salaries folks...it won't stop going up for all of the premier guys in the profession) and an AD he loves working with.

Liucci

In reply to Lunar_Pulse • 9:47p

Staff

AG

Lunar_Pulse said:

Who would you go after if anyone was possible as the next AD?

Haven't thought that far ahead yet.

Liucci

In reply to CDub06 • 9:50p

Staff

AG

CDub06 said:

Is there any concern that our athletic department has not been managed well financially during this last few years?

I think they've spent a hell of a lot of money but not too much to where it impacts future moves. Just need to be a little more fiscally responsible moving forward and really until the new CBS deal comes around. That will be the mother of all game-changers for everyone in the SEC.

Liucci

In reply to Goro Majima • 9:51p

Staff

AG

Goro Majima said:

Can I have Scott's house he was building?

I feel like I've already called dibs on that thing.

Liucci

In reply to Aggie1946 • 9:54p

Staff

AG

+ 2 more quotes (click to expand)

aggierogue said:

I guess the question in response to this is:

If you're convinced we'll do the right thing regarding Jimbo having input, why are you so convinced that someone dropped the ball regarding Woodward?

Aggie1946 said:

This is my question as well. How do we drop the ball so bad with Woodward yet you are convinced we will do the right thing with the next hire and involving Jimbo?

Because there is a TON of egg on the face of some of the decision-makers who let SW walk and they are no doubt feeling the pressure from the inside. I've talked to enough people today to know that this has upset a lot of very influential Aggies and I'm confident that they are perfectly aware that the procedure and process need to change. Not to mention the fact that they understand how important the new AD hire is.

Liucci

In reply to HawgDriver1 • 9:55p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

Are you going to be more specific about the internal friction you alluded to? Your comments have caused wild speculation and accusations against university employees that may or may not be warranted. I feel like you need to be more specific 

You can feel that way if you'd like. I don't feel the same way.

Liucci

In reply to Liucci • 9:57p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

Are you going to be more specific about the internal friction you alluded to? Your comments have caused wild speculation and accusations against university employees that may or may not be warranted. I feel like you need to be more specific 

Liucci said:

And just to clarify, I DO want folks to understand that the 12th Man Foundation is NOT the place to direct your angst. To be perfectly candid, I think if you asked anyone involved at the higher levels (and a couple of them may be reading this thread just like you guys are) they'd tell you that the relationship between the 12MF and the Athletic Department has never been stronger. They played an absolutely vital role in allowing Scott the runway (and money) needed to make the Buzz Williams hire happen as recently as two weeks ago.

Liucci

In reply to powerbelly • 9:58p

Staff

AG

randyaggie said:

Are there any other major CFB coaches with a zero buyout? Seems odd from my brief research.

powerbelly said:

Saban has no buyout

This. Coaches with the kind of leverage that guys like Saban and Jimbo have usually don't have buyouts in today's day and age. Keep in mind, Fisher didn't have one at FSU either.

Liucci

In reply to SirWilliam • 10:00p

Staff

AG

+ 4 more quotes (click to expand)

Liucci said:

Because there is a TON of egg on the face of some of the decision-makers who let SW walk and they are no doubt feeling the pressure from the inside. I've talked to enough people today to know that this has upset a lot of very influential Aggies and I'm confident that they are perfectly aware that the procedure and process need to change. Not to mention the fact that they understand how important the new AD hire is.

SirWilliam said:

We have leaders that make bad decisions but they will do a better job in the future.

Yep, that's exactly where I was going with it. If you don't like the answers I can always cut off the chat for everyone. How about you sit the rest of this thing out if all you're going to have to offer is crap like that response?

Liucci

In reply to SouthTex99 • 10:00p

Staff

AG

SouthTex99 said:

Who is running the AD in the interim? Can we still make a baseball move, if necessary? 

I don't think there was going to be a baseball move either way. Something pretty wild would have to happen for that to take place.

Liucci

In reply to Bondag • 10:01p

Staff

AG

Bondag said:

2nd team deep snapper?

Question of the night!!!!

Liucci

In reply to turfaggie24 • 10:05p

Staff

AG

tur***gie24 said:

Why was Scott Woodward the 5th highest paid AD in the SEC?
Do you expect Young to be renewed?
Did Sharp and the Board of Regents get hot seats due to this?

Was he fifth or seventh? Either way, it's unacceptable and, IMO, it was a sign of disrespect or a lack of appreciation on some level.

No, I don't expect that but don't think it has to end up that way.

I think everyone involved in the process of keeping a wildly successful and popular AD in the fold has to be feeling the sting tonight.

Liucci

In reply to KVK77TexAg • 10:07p

Staff

AG

KVK77TexAg said:

Billy. As you said in your original thread, how did this get to this point in the first place? How did the very influential Ags, that are now so upset with the Decision Makers, not know what was being decided and make moves to prevent the bad decision making? 

Good question and I sensed some real frustration on Scott's part down the stretch but I really think the last thing he wanted to do was whine about or make it seem like he was a malcontent looking for a pay bump or something like that. I think his personality combined with the situation led to this happening VERY quickly. Everyone I've talked to today was caught completely off-guard.

Ryan Brauninger

10:08p

Staff

If you had to make a lineup of TexAgs employees that you felt would produce the most runs, what would it look like, Mr Beane? 

Liucci

In reply to OA_02 • 10:09p

Staff

AG

OA_02 said:

In your opinion, could we have kept Woodward in any circumstance? Or was he likely to go home to LSU regardless?

I do think this is ALSO a very fair question to ask. Most will lean towards saying A&M could have kept him (myself included because I know how much he loved this place and the situation the department was in) but I've also done this long enough to know that the draw of going home is typically very strong and that nothing about what Scott has done in terms of his moves have been knee-jerk or without careful thought and planning.

Liucci

In reply to Ryan Brauninger • 10:10p

Staff

AG

Ryan Brauninger said:

If you had to make a lineup of TexAgs employees that you felt would produce the most runs, what would it look like, Mr Beane? 

You're known around these parts as a strike out artist (aka 'The BIg Whiffer') so I'd probably bat you seventh.

Liucci

In reply to Jclover • 10:13p

Staff

AG

Jclover said:

I'm not sure I totally understand the reason SW left? Was it because leadership didn't give him a raise before someone else (LSU) offered him one? 

LSU could never have matched salaries if it was a matter of simply giving SW a raise.

Liucci

In reply to chip5897 • 10:13p

Staff

AG

chip5897 said:

Will Aggies break the the North Shore curse this cycle?

Magic Eight Ball says, "Ask Eric Crutchfield"

Ryan Brauninger

In reply to FightinTxAggie • 10:14p

Staff

FightinTxAggie said:

I got Gabe batting clean up!

Disgusting

Liucci

In reply to Here4Wins • 10:14p

Staff

AG

Here4Wins said:

Do you think the powers at be here learned and will leave the future AD alone and work in peace? Will it be a deterrent for future AD's? 

Eventually it's going to be a deterrent on some level but I think the Aggies can work past that because of all the positives that the position offers, including salary, it being an SEC program and the current situation in terms of coaches.

Ryan Brauninger

10:16p

Staff

Do you think the new AD will cut down on contraband being smuggled into sporting events?

Liucci

In reply to oh no • 10:17p

Staff

AG

oh no said:

Did Justin Moore do most of the work to hire Buzz because Woodward already had a foot out the door?

Not because Scott had a foot out the door but because that's how Scott works. He gave a LOT of responsibility to Justin and Stephanie when it comes to the day-to-day operations and also the non-football hires. He's the one who told me directly what a good job and a key role they played in the Buzz Williams hire.

Liucci

In reply to Legal Custodian • 10:20p

Staff

AG

Legal Custodian said:

Are you afraid of losing any credibility within the administration with how the board reacted to your posts and those who might think you were wanting this type of reaction?

For the record I do not think this, just wondering if that crossed your mind.

Do you know me? I have and always will cover things the best way I know how and with Texas A&M's best interests in mind. Period. What you guys don't realize is that everyone thinks I'm one type of way with this stuff but what people don't realize is that my coverage of the QB transfers nearly cost me a 20-year friendship but I did what was right at the time. Fortunately, we were able to get past it and A&M football also moved on just fine.

Liucci

In reply to SPF250 • 10:23p

Staff

AG

SPF250 said:

Billy, are you hearing future political aspirations in Louisiana as a motivating factor for Woodward leaving? Reestablish residency, curry favor with big money alums then run for office?

Interesting question but I've not heard that.

Liucci

In reply to oh no • 10:24p

Staff

AG

oh no said:

Would we want the Center for Disease Control as our AD?

No

Liucci

In reply to Legal Custodian • 10:25p

Staff

AG

Legal Custodian said:

I know how you operate and I appreciate the response. I might have worded it wrong, I was more looking to see what your thoughts were on how the board reacted to the posts and if you were worried of any blowback from the admin.

Thanks!

Not really. I think everyone should understand what an emotional, hot button event this was going to be.

Liucci

In reply to HawgDriver1 • 10:26p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

So basically 10 pages of what we already knew this morning. Good night. 

More like good riddance. Enjoy your week off, jackass.

Liucci

In reply to harwood1874 • 10:26p

Staff

AG

harwood1874 said:

So, has this train officially left the station or are there discussions to try and keep him still being had/attempted?

Train has left the station and come to a halt in Baton Rouge.

Liucci

In reply to Ags #1 • 10:27p

Staff

AG

Ags #1 said:

At one point you say the admin should have done more to keep him. Yet you also say it's a fair question to say that being called home might be to much to overcome. Is it a combo of both?

I do believe it was a combo of both.

Liucci

In reply to 83AgCiti • 10:30p

Staff

AG

+ 1 more quotes (click to expand)

Liucci said:

Eventually it's going to be a deterrent on some level but I think the Aggies can work past that because of all the positives that the position offers, including salary, it being an SEC program and the current situation in terms of coaches.

83AgCiti said:

I'm not sure I understand your answer to the question. If Aggies (read inside upper administration - obvious names omitted) can't work past a situation that by all outside accounts was ideal for the Athletic Dept, why should any of us - or potential candidates think things would change in the future? Seems like there is a lot of dancing around this subject....

I'm just not sure what you guys want me to say. No one has been fired. The ball was dropped in my opinion and folks are fully aware of that fact. It has to be fixed. Tough questions will be asked internally and any potential hire will have those same questions.

Sometimes I feel like it's just a no win situation to do these things because no amount of information or explanation is enough and it never stops.

Liucci

In reply to HawgDriver1 • 10:31p

Staff

AG

KVK77TexAg said:

Thanks for the comments and info, Billy. Much appreciated as always. Know you can't, or won't because of your professionalism, but I sure wish you could say flat out which "Decision Makers" screwed this up so badly. Then maybe, just maybe, they could actually be held accountable. Pipe Dream, I know. 

HawgDriver1 said:

Why not? They don't pay his salary. We do. Be specific instead of hyperbolic "Looch speak"

You no longer pay anything, actually. How's that for "Looch speak"?

Liucci

In reply to AggieZee • 10:32p

Staff

AG

AggieZee said:

Are the people hiring the next AD sharp? 

No, I don't believe he'd be involved in the hire, just a part of the group that signs off on the hire and salary.

Liucci

In reply to Liucci • 10:33p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

Why not? They don't pay his salary. We do. Be specific instead of hyperbolic "Looch speak"

Liucci said:

And guys, PLEASE try not to act like this wart. Just a perfect example of why I typically don't do this kind of stuff. 

Liucci

In reply to Stallion99 • 10:33p

Staff

AG

aggierogue said:

Why aren't people putting some blame on Woodward as well? He was obviously talking behind the scenes well before today's announcement and gave A&M no chance to counter or negotiate. I realize that it's a smart move on his part if he wants out, but he screwed us over in the process. 

We were foolish not to pay him more, but he left us at the altar today.

Stallion99 said:

Do ADs at this level use agents?

Yes.

Liucci

In reply to Rufnek • 10:34p

Staff

AG

Rufnek said:

I think Michael Young is getting a pass. He was Woodward's boss and the most obvious one to not support him. He is also an academic and so his commitment towards athletics may or may not be so high (I don't know). Everybody's focus is on Sharp and he may very well be the problem, but in a situation with a frustrated employee, I always look at his immediate supervisor first.

Looch? Any insight you can provide on Young's role in all of this?

I think the fact that the rumors are that Young's contract was not extended or renewed was actually a bigger factor than anything to do with any issues between the president and AD (of which I'm not sure there were any).

Liucci

In reply to MJ20/20 • 10:40p

Staff

AG

MJ20/20 said:

Do you think that Scott Woodward was involved enough in recruiting to hurt our short or long term efforts from Baton Rouge?

No. He loved it and was very helpful when asked (an asset to be sure) but Jimbo Fisher and his staff are why the Aggies are recruiting at this level. Scott would be the first to tell you that.

Liucci

In reply to comebackszNino • 10:42p

Staff

AG

comebackszNino said:

Do we have the money to make a splash hire? I've heard maybe we don't.

We're fine in that regard. 100%.

Liucci

In reply to ZachAg • 10:45p

Staff

AG

ZachAg said:

Hey Billy, I know this is highly speculative, but what would you say are the chances that SW would eventually come calling Jimbo at a later time? I've heard they're great friends.....

While I wouldn't say he'd never come calling, I think it's further-fetched than most are assuming and pulling off the actual hire is going to be astronomically difficult...and borderline impossible if you get the right AD in here to fill SW's large shoes.

Liucci

In reply to EconAg18 • 10:47p

Staff

AG

EconAg18 said:

I seem to remember both Daylon Mack and Tyler Davis releasing statements/videos recently discussing their mental health and how they had battled depression during their time at A&M. Do you see our athletic department taking a more concentrated approach to mental health of our student athletes moving forward? As a recent graduate I feel like the students and student organizations have taken a stronger stance in regards to mental health, but I'll admit I felt like the university itself was lacking in some sorts. Thanks for all you do Looch, I know today was rough!

Amazing question and, yes, I have seen a stronger push towards recognizing and treating such issues among A&M athletes. They're ahead of the game in this area.

Liucci

In reply to GT_Aggie2015 • 10:48p

Staff

AG

GT_Aggie2015 said:

WHEN did it happen? Was it at the LSU game as was rumored?

Not at all. False rumor.

Liucci

10:55p

Staff

AG

Sorry for not being able to keep up enough guys but that was a LOT. I may try to jump back on a little later.

In summary:

Tough loss that, IMO, did not have to happen but I have confidence that the search and ultimate replacement will be handled the right way and will produce a high-end AD.

As for the question everyone keeps asking: No, I do not think Jimbo is in jeopardy - now or a year or two from now - of going to LSU. I think he'll have a proven AD who understands how important winning a football championship is to Texas A&M and who will do everything he can to ensure that happens.

Liucci

In reply to adamhdonnell • 10:57p

Staff

AG

+ 3 more quotes (click to expand)

Liucci said:

I'm just not sure what you guys want me to say. No one has been fired. The ball was dropped in my opinion and folks are fully aware of that fact. It has to be fixed. Tough questions will be asked internally and any potential hire will have those same questions.

Sometimes I feel like it's just a no win situation to do these things because no amount of information or explanation is enough and it never stops.

adamhdonnell said:

You're absolutely right on it being a no-win situation. Some on this board will react in a manner that makes it feel as though they're blaming the guy answering the questions.

I believe this is another reason the prediction function doesn't really get used. People think they're owed answers when predictions don't pan out. 

I appreciate the dialogue.

Thanks Adam. It's definitely getting tougher and tougher to do this type of thing but I won't let a few buffoons get in the way of providing the rest of you with information. I won't back down to that type of behavior ever.

Liucci

In reply to CDub06 • 11:05p

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

I think they've spent a hell of a lot of money but not too much to where it impacts future moves. Just need to be a little more fiscally responsible moving forward and really until the new CBS deal comes around. That will be the mother of all game-changers for everyone in the SEC.

CDub06 said:

I've heard that more money has been burned through than we expected (aside from the big dollar hires) and some of the smaller sports are feeling that pain. I wonder if that played a part in the BOR's balk...

Agree with the first part but not the second.

Liucci

Staff

AG

aggierogue said:

Why aren't people putting some blame on Woodward as well? He was obviously talking behind the scenes well before today's announcement and gave A&M no chance to counter or negotiate. I realize that it's a smart move on his part if he wants out, but he screwed us over in the process. 

Stallion99 said:

Yes.

Liucci

Staff

AG

Rufnek said:

I think Michael Young is getting a pass. He was Woodward's boss and the most obvious one to not support him. He is also an academic and so his commitment towards athletics may or may not be so high (I don't know). Everybody's focus is on Sharp and he may very well be the problem, but in a situation with a frustrated employee, I always look at his immediate supervisor first.

I think the fact that the rumors are that Young's contract was not extended or renewed was actually a bigger factor than anything to do with any issues between the president and AD (of which I'm not sure there were any).

Liucci

Staff

AG

MJ20/20 said:

Do you think that Scott Woodward was involved enough in recruiting to hurt our short or long term efforts from Baton Rouge?

No. He loved it and was very helpful when asked (an asset to be sure) but Jimbo Fisher and his staff are why the Aggies are recruiting at this level. Scott would be the first to tell you that.

Liucci

Staff

AG

comebackszNino said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

ZachAg said:

Hey Billy, I know this is highly speculative, but what would you say are the chances that SW would eventually come calling Jimbo at a later time? I've heard they're great friends.....

While I wouldn't say he'd never come calling, I think it's further-fetched than most are assuming and pulling off the actual hire is going to be astronomically difficult...and borderline impossible if you get the right AD in here to fill SW's large shoes.

Liucci

Staff

AG

EconAg18 said:

I seem to remember both Daylon Mack and Tyler Davis releasing statements/videos recently discussing their mental health and how they had battled depression during their time at A&M. Do you see our athletic department taking a more concentrated approach to mental health of our student athletes moving forward? As a recent graduate I feel like the students and student organizations have taken a stronger stance in regards to mental health, but I'll admit I felt like the university itself was lacking in some sorts. Thanks for all you do Looch, I know today was rough!

Amazing question and, yes, I have seen a stronger push towards recognizing and treating such issues among A&M athletes. They're ahead of the game in this area.

Liucci

Staff

AG

GT_Aggie2015 said:

Not at all. False rumor.

Liucci

Staff

AG

Sorry for not being able to keep up enough guys but that was a LOT. I may try to jump back on a little later.

In summary:

Tough loss that, IMO, did not have to happen but I have confidence that the search and ultimate replacement will be handled the right way and will produce a high-end AD.

As for the question everyone keeps asking: No, I do not think Jimbo is in jeopardy - now or a year or two from now - of going to LSU. I think he'll have a proven AD who understands how important winning a football championship is to Texas A&M and who will do everything he can to ensure that happens.

Liucci

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

adamhdonnell said:

You're absolutely right on it being a no-win situation. Some on this board will react in a manner that makes it feel as though they're blaming the guy answering the questions.

I believe this is another reason the prediction function doesn't really get used. People think they're owed answers when predictions don't pan out. 

Thanks Adam. It's definitely getting tougher and tougher to do this type of thing but I won't let a few buffoons get in the way of providing the rest of you with information. I won't back down to that type of behavior ever.

Liucci

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

CDub06 said:

I've heard that more money has been burned through than we expected (aside from the big dollar hires) and some of the smaller sports are feeling that pain. I wonder if that played a part in the BOR's balk...

• Like 1

They're so certain that they have and need unlimited funds to lure top tier employees to the most wonderful job and place in the world. They're so amazed that anyone would leave for less money.

It's a shame they can't hold those two thoughts in their minds at the same time and come to the real conclusion about their university. 

Nobody thinks they're a big deal. They're Michigan State or South Carolina. Known but neither loved nor hated on the national level. They're just there.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

They're so certain that they have and need unlimited funds to lure top tier employees to the most wonderful job and place in the world. They're so amazed that anyone would leave for less money.

It's a shame they can't hold those two thoughts in their minds at the same time and come to the real conclusion about their university. 

Nobody thinks they're a big deal. They're Michigan State or South Carolina. Known but neither loved nor hated on the national level. They're just there.

They are also known as the place to go to be astoundingly overpaid for minimal production. 

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

And MSU lost saban before he could do anything special there, and usc tried buying coaches like Lou holtz and Steve spurrier.  How many conference or even division titles did those guys win?

Spoiler

Liucci

9:38p

Staff

AG

Ready, set, GO!!!

Liucci

In reply to Legend • 9:45p

Staff

AG

Legend said:

How's it impact Jimbo?

I believe that will be perfectly fine so long as the powers that be actually let the head man have a LOT of input into the hiring process. That's just the way it HAS to be. He came here in large part because of his relationship with the AD so having a similar connection and working relationship sure feels like a must to me. I'm not worried about it because I'm convinced that's exactly what will happen. 

Liucci

In reply to BuLi97 • 9:46p

Staff

AG

BuLi97 said:

What are the details in Jimbo's contract if Woodward leaves? How does that affect buyout?

I don't believe there is a buyout. The buyout would be him enjoying wild success at a place that is giving him everything he needs to win a title, $7.5 million and eventually more (watch coaching salaries folks...it won't stop going up for all of the premier guys in the profession) and an AD he loves working with.

Liucci

In reply to Lunar_Pulse • 9:47p

Staff

AG

Lunar_Pulse said:

Who would you go after if anyone was possible as the next AD?

Haven't thought that far ahead yet.

Liucci

In reply to CDub06 • 9:50p

Staff

AG

CDub06 said:

Is there any concern that our athletic department has not been managed well financially during this last few years?

Liucci

In reply to Goro Majima • 9:51p

Staff

AG

Goro Majima said:

Can I have Scott's house he was building?

I feel like I've already called dibs on that thing.

Liucci

In reply to Aggie1946 • 9:54p

Staff

AG

+ 2 more quotes (click to expand)

aggierogue said:

I guess the question in response to this is:

If you're convinced we'll do the right thing regarding Jimbo having input, why are you so convinced that someone dropped the ball regarding Woodward?

Aggie1946 said:

This is my question as well. How do we drop the ball so bad with Woodward yet you are convinced we will do the right thing with the next hire and involving Jimbo?

Liucci

In reply to HawgDriver1 • 9:55p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

Liucci

In reply to Liucci • 9:57p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

Liucci said:

And just to clarify, I DO want folks to understand that the 12th Man Foundation is NOT the place to direct your angst. To be perfectly candid, I think if you asked anyone involved at the higher levels (and a couple of them may be reading this thread just like you guys are) they'd tell you that the relationship between the 12MF and the Athletic Department has never been stronger. They played an absolutely vital role in allowing Scott the runway (and money) needed to make the Buzz Williams hire happen as recently as two weeks ago.

Liucci

In reply to powerbelly • 9:58p

Staff

AG

randyaggie said:

Are there any other major CFB coaches with a zero buyout? Seems odd from my brief research.

powerbelly said:

Saban has no buyout

This. Coaches with the kind of leverage that guys like Saban and Jimbo have usually don't have buyouts in today's day and age. Keep in mind, Fisher didn't have one at FSU either.

Liucci

In reply to SirWilliam • 10:00p

Staff

AG

+ 4 more quotes (click to expand)

Liucci said:

SirWilliam said:

We have leaders that make bad decisions but they will do a better job in the future.

Yep, that's exactly where I was going with it. If you don't like the answers I can always cut off the chat for everyone. How about you sit the rest of this thing out if all you're going to have to offer is crap like that response?

Liucci

Staff

AG

SouthTex99 said:

Who is running the AD in the interim? Can we still make a baseball move, if necessary? 

I don't think there was going to be a baseball move either way. Something pretty wild would have to happen for that to take place.

Liucci

In reply to Bondag • 10:01p

Staff

AG

Bondag said:

2nd team deep snapper?

Question of the night!!!!

Liucci

In reply to turfaggie24 • 10:05p

Staff

AG

tur***gie24 said:

Why was Scott Woodward the 5th highest paid AD in the SEC?
Do you expect Young to be renewed?
Did Sharp and the Board of Regents get hot seats due to this?

Was he fifth or seventh? Either way, it's unacceptable and, IMO, it was a sign of disrespect or a lack of appreciation on some level.

No, I don't expect that but don't think it has to end up that way.

I think everyone involved in the process of keeping a wildly successful and popular AD in the fold has to be feeling the sting tonight.

Liucci

In reply to KVK77TexAg • 10:07p

Staff

AG

KVK77TexAg said:

Billy. As you said in your original thread, how did this get to this point in the first place? How did the very influential Ags, that are now so upset with the Decision Makers, not know what was being decided and make moves to prevent the bad decision making? 

Good question and I sensed some real frustration on Scott's part down the stretch but I really think the last thing he wanted to do was whine about or make it seem like he was a malcontent looking for a pay bump or something like that. I think his personality combined with the situation led to this happening VERY quickly. Everyone I've talked to today was caught completely off-guard.

Ryan Brauninger

10:08p

Staff

Liucci

In reply to OA_02 • 10:09p

Staff

AG

OA_02 said:

In your opinion, could we have kept Woodward in any circumstance? Or was he likely to go home to LSU regardless?

I do think this is ALSO a very fair question to ask. Most will lean towards saying A&M could have kept him (myself included because I know how much he loved this place and the situation the department was in) but I've also done this long enough to know that the draw of going home is typically very strong and that nothing about what Scott has done in terms of his moves have been knee-jerk or without careful thought and planning.

Liucci

In reply to Ryan Brauninger • 10:10p

Staff

AG

Ryan Brauninger said:

You're known around these parts as a strike out artist (aka 'The BIg Whiffer') so I'd probably bat you seventh.

Liucci

In reply to Jclover • 10:13p

Staff

AG

Jclover said:

I'm not sure I totally understand the reason SW left? Was it because leadership didn't give him a raise before someone else (LSU) offered him one? 

LSU could never have matched salaries if it was a matter of simply giving SW a raise.

Liucci

In reply to chip5897 • 10:13p

Staff

AG

chip5897 said:

Will Aggies break the the North Shore curse this cycle?

Magic Eight Ball says, "Ask Eric Crutchfield"

Ryan Brauninger

In reply to FightinTxAggie • 10:14p

Staff

FightinTxAggie said:

I got Gabe batting clean up!

Disgusting

Liucci

In reply to Here4Wins • 10:14p

Staff

AG

Here4Wins said:

Do you think the powers at be here learned and will leave the future AD alone and work in peace? Will it be a deterrent for future AD's? 

Ryan Brauninger

10:16p

Staff

Do you think the new AD will cut down on contraband being smuggled into sporting events?

Liucci

In reply to oh no • 10:17p

Staff

AG

oh no said:

Did Justin Moore do most of the work to hire Buzz because Woodward already had a foot out the door?

Not because Scott had a foot out the door but because that's how Scott works. He gave a LOT of responsibility to Justin and Stephanie when it comes to the day-to-day operations and also the non-football hires. He's the one who told me directly what a good job and a key role they played in the Buzz Williams hire.

Liucci

In reply to Legal Custodian • 10:20p

Staff

AG

Legal Custodian said:

Are you afraid of losing any credibility within the administration with how the board reacted to your posts and those who might think you were wanting this type of reaction?

For the record I do not think this, just wondering if that crossed your mind.

Do you know me? I have and always will cover things the best way I know how and with Texas A&M's best interests in mind. Period. What you guys don't realize is that everyone thinks I'm one type of way with this stuff but what people don't realize is that my coverage of the QB transfers nearly cost me a 20-year friendship but I did what was right at the time. Fortunately, we were able to get past it and A&M football also moved on just fine.

Liucci

In reply to SPF250 • 10:23p

Staff

AG

SPF250 said:

Billy, are you hearing future political aspirations in Louisiana as a motivating factor for Woodward leaving? Reestablish residency, curry favor with big money alums then run for office?

Interesting question but I've not heard that.

Liucci

In reply to oh no • 10:24p

Staff

AG

oh no said:

Would we want the Center for Disease Control as our AD?

No

Liucci

In reply to Legal Custodian • 10:25p

Staff

AG

Legal Custodian said:

I know how you operate and I appreciate the response. I might have worded it wrong, I was more looking to see what your thoughts were on how the board reacted to the posts and if you were worried of any blowback from the admin.

Thanks!

Not really. I think everyone should understand what an emotional, hot button event this was going to be.

Liucci

In reply to HawgDriver1 • 10:26p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

So basically 10 pages of what we already knew this morning. Good night. 

More like good riddance. Enjoy your week off, jackass.

Liucci

In reply to harwood1874 • 10:26p

Staff

AG

harwood1874 said:

So, has this train officially left the station or are there discussions to try and keep him still being had/attempted?

Train has left the station and come to a halt in Baton Rouge.

Liucci

In reply to Ags #1 • 10:27p

Staff

AG

Ags #1 said:

At one point you say the admin should have done more to keep him. Yet you also say it's a fair question to say that being called home might be to much to overcome. Is it a combo of both?

I do believe it was a combo of both.

Liucci

In reply to 83AgCiti • 10:30p

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

83AgCiti said:

I'm not sure I understand your answer to the question. If Aggies (read inside upper administration - obvious names omitted) can't work past a situation that by all outside accounts was ideal for the Athletic Dept, why should any of us - or potential candidates think things would change in the future? Seems like there is a lot of dancing around this subject....

Liucci

In reply to HawgDriver1 • 10:31p

Staff

AG

KVK77TexAg said:

Thanks for the comments and info, Billy. Much appreciated as always. Know you can't, or won't because of your professionalism, but I sure wish you could say flat out which "Decision Makers" screwed this up so badly. Then maybe, just maybe, they could actually be held accountable. Pipe Dream, I know. 

HawgDriver1 said:

Liucci

In reply to AggieZee • 10:32p

Staff

AG

AggieZee said:

Are the people hiring the next AD sharp? 

No, I don't believe he'd be involved in the hire, just a part of the group that signs off on the hire and salary.

Liucci

In reply to Liucci • 10:33p

Staff

AG

HawgDriver1 said:

Liucci said:

And guys, PLEASE try not to act like this wart. Just a perfect example of why I typically don't do this kind of stuff. 

Liucci

Staff

AG

aggierogue said:

Stallion99 said:

Yes.

Liucci

Staff

AG

Rufnek said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

MJ20/20 said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

comebackszNino said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

ZachAg said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

EconAg18 said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

GT_Aggie2015 said:

Not at all. False rumor.

Liucci

Staff

AG

In summary:

Liucci

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

adamhdonnell said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

CDub06 said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

aggierogue said:

Stallion99 said:

Yes.

Liucci

Staff

AG

Rufnek said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

MJ20/20 said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

comebackszNino said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

ZachAg said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

EconAg18 said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

GT_Aggie2015 said:

Not at all. False rumor.

Liucci

Staff

AG

In summary:

Liucci

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

adamhdonnell said:

Liucci

Staff

AG

Liucci said:

CDub06 said:

THE ARISTOCRATS!!

aggy players depressed?

Geeze I wonder why.

No wonder ketch is jealous of this guy.

SirWilliam said:

Liucci

49 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Stopped reading after Chinpubes said coaches “like Saban and Jimbo” don’t have buyouts. 

No shit.  It's staggering to see their total lack of awareness and how they double down on outright stupidity.  

Saban= 6 MNCs including 5 of the last 10 and played for 2 others in that frame.  

Bilbo= 1 MNC same as Stoops/Brown/Miles/Fulmer/Coker/Chizik/(insert 1 hit wonders here)

He had a good run at FSU until he didn't, that I won't argue, similar to Mack though half as long.  He's much closer to Gene Chizik than Nick Saban

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

No shit.  It's staggering to see their total lack of awareness and how they double down on outright stupidity.  

Bilbo= 1 MNC same as Stoops/Brown/Miles/Fulmer/Coker/Chizik/(insert 1 hit wonders here)

He had a good run at FSU until he didn't, that I won't argue, similar to Mack though half as long.  He's much closer to Gene Chizik than Nick Saban

Agreed for the most part. It’ll be interesting to see how well Jimbo does this year. He lost his best recruiter and right hand man in Brewster, and now his biggest reason for coming to A&M in Woodward. 

35 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Just look at how they talk about Woodward leaving for LSU. LSU has 4x as many titles in the Big 3 sports the last 20 years as aggy has in their entire history. 

A complete lack of awareness. They talk like LSU is a bunch of bums while they’re the Yankees of college athletics. 

Edited by texasstrong12

So many interesting things. The AD bailed right after hiring a coach. That’s a bit of a dick move. Looch insults his customers and bans them, acting like an immature punk, and yet these sheep just keep purchasing his absolute bullshit. Amazing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

This. Coaches with the kind of leverage that guys like Saban and Jimbo have usually don't have buyouts in today's day and age. Keep in mind, Fisher didn't have one at FSU either

That's partially true. There wasn't a buyout on Jimbo but Aggy had to pay out the remaining amounts on his assistants contracts. Don't recall the amount but it was a buyout.

9 hours ago, Goodman said:

No wonder ketch is jealous of this guy.

SirWilliam said:

Liucci

nomsnoms_zpsb93e3358.gif

34 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

That's partially true. There wasn't a buyout on Jimbo but Aggy had to pay out the remaining amounts on his assistants contracts. Don't recall the amount but it was a buyout.

This is amazing. Jimbo didn't have a buyout, but made his assistants have one.

I enjoyed one poster yesterday saying they should throw the brinks truck at Oliver Luck. I also rolled my eyes at the dimwitted fucktard who thought referring to Del Conte as the Center for Disease Control was funny. Watching this search should be both interesting, and amusing. Liucci seems to hate Del Conte almost as much as he hates Carrington, African Americans, and self evaluation.

• Like 1

I think losing the AD has zero bearing on anything at aggy. They will go and hire a Fisher-approved yes man who will give Jimbo whatever he wants. They already threw $75 million down that hole, they aren't going to back off now. Their ego won't let them and they are so convinced that he's their savior,  they are going to have to get aggy levels of evidence to the contrary in order to be anything but all-in on him. Of course, don't ever discount their meddling idiot alumni to fuck everything up like they always do, but for now they are completely and blindly aligned with Jimbo.

The hilarious part is how Woodard bolted on their ass for a "lateral" move not only in conference, but in division. The nerve of anyone who has ever spent time in that shit hole to not be fully indoctrinated. That will get their latent little brother complex all hot and bothered for a good while until they can justify it away with "the new guy is better" or "Woodard was never that great to begin with."

Also, I couldn't make it all the way through the Chinpubes chat but my favorite part was when someone suggested that go after CDC. Aggy - the bottomless pit of unintentional comedy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think the funniest thing about next season is aggy now has to root for LSU. A bad year and everyone will start “Jimbo to LSU” rumors which can’t be a good thing for recruiting. 

Umm, don't you SEC bud? Aggy is always rooting for LSU, Bama, etc. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Umm, don't you SEC bud? Aggy is always rooting for LSU, Bama, etc. 

true but they seem to be developing a rivalry with LSU. Those two fanbases don't like each other. SECRant is about 80% aggy and lsu fans bickering back and forth at this point. 

LSU fans view aggy like we do so it creates a similar relationship. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I think losing the AD has zero bearing on anything at aggy. They will go and hire a Fisher-approved yes man who will give Jimbo whatever he wants. They already threw $75 million down that hole, they aren't going to back off now. Their ego won't let them and they are so convinced that he's their savior,  they are going to have to get aggy levels of evidence to the contrary in order to be anything but all-in on him. Of course, don't ever discount their meddling idiot alumni to fuck everything up like they always do, but for now they are completely and blindly aligned with Jimbo.

All true but LSU was apparently Jimbo's dream job and his relationship with Woodward played a role. I think it's unlikely Jimbo ends up at LSU but there were a lot of rumors about LSU being his dream job. If LSU wasn't a complete train wreck under Alleva there's a good chance Jimbo is the coach at LSU right now. 

With new leadership it might not be about money. Jimbo will get paid and get to coach at his dream job. Assuming LSU even wants Jimbo with another 4 or 5 type loss season.  

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

All true but LSU was apparently Jimbo's dream job and his relationship with Woodward apparently played a role in going to A&M. I think it's unlikely Jimbo ends up at LSU but there were a lot of rumors about LSU being his dream job. If LSU wasn't a complete train wreck under Allevan there's a good chance Jimbo is the coach at LSU. 

I don't think there's a cut and dry viewpoint right now, there are too many factors. For starters, Jimbo left FSU because of a perceived lack of financial support..he might balk at going to a bankrupt state and college in financial woes right off the bat, regardless of other factors. aTm is going to be an easy job for at least a few more years, so he's not in any hurry. Maybe he likes the new AD fine. Maybe he hates the new AD. I think the point is that it's a 2 year runway to see what might happen, and no one knows the answer. Other than the tears, the immediate fun for me is going to be their replacement search. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think there's a cut and dry viewpoint right now, there are too many factors. For starters, Jimbo left FSU because of a perceived lack of financial support..he might balk at going to a bankrupt state and college in financial woes right off the bat, regardless of other factors. 

I think this is true. LSU is probably going to be good this year so there's no guarantee that LSU will even cut bait with Ed O and like I said Jimbo's value decreases with each year of mediocrity. 

I don't think Woodward takes the LSU gig unless they made promises about stepping to the plate with $. If LSU needs a coach I bet they find the money (and whatever other financial support is needed to attract a coach). The only question is if they want Jimbo. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't think there's a cut and dry viewpoint right now, there are too many factors. For starters, Jimbo left FSU because of a perceived lack of financial support..he might balk at going to a bankrupt state and college in financial woes right off the bat, regardless of other factors. aTm is going to be an easy job for at least a few more years, so he's not in any hurry. Maybe he likes the new AD fine. Maybe he hates the new AD. I think the point is that it's a 2 year runway to see what might happen, and no one knows the answer. Other than the tears, the immediate fun for me is going to be their replacement search. 

The false narrative around the lack of financial support is the public explanation. The fact that he's a megalomaniac and an unreasonable prick was the reality.

It used to be said that LSU was one of the only places Jimbo would consider leaving FSU for due to his affinity for Baton Rouge and the school.

Now that Woodward is there, I think LSU could very well pluck him away from Aggy. The million dollar question is why. The dude has been shown to be an above average coach, not elite, when he doesn't have a generational talent under center. Aggy was willing to pay up for Jimbo and give him the moon because of the "active coach with an NC" crap they can hang their hat on. LSU is smarter than that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TBGFL said:

The false narrative around the lack of financial support is the public explanation. The fact that he's a megalomaniac and an unreasonable prick was the reality.

I think it was more the fact he made some major mistakes with roster construction and FSU was on the decline. Jimbo created a narrative to justify leaving when reality is FSU's roster was shit and he was looking to get out. 

Jimbo knew he wasn't winning anything with the QB situation and arguably the worst OL in the country. He jumped ship before his value took a huge hit. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1