Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Until there are some staff changes, I don't see why we should expect anything different. 

Yep. Missing on top DL, RB, and LB targets will be a constant til we get better recruiters at those positions or we bring in some more rainmakers at other positions. 

Tarp with the fucking duh 

Is A&M commit Jaylon Jones a better safety than corner?

Texas A&M commit Jaylon Jones is rated as a cornerback in the 247 Sports Composite rankings but he played safety at The Opening this week. That tends to lead to an interesting question: could Jones play safety at the next level with the Aggies?

I wrote back in February when he committed to A&Mthat Jones “has the hips of a smaller, more tightly wound player. He’ll press a wideout, bail, and then play them in a trail position without getting his hands on them and still be in a position to deny them a pass. That’s because Jones has great flexibility and can get low in his stance, get his feet underneath his pads, and yet change direction without overextending himself.”

Nonetheless, if you want to make the argument that Jones can play safety, it’s not a hard one to make. He certainly has the size to play deep in college. He’s listed at 6-feet-1 and 190 pounds and is in the size range of the most of the highly ranked safeties in the country. He’s about the same size as 2019 A&M signee Brian Williams, who is considered to be as good of a safety as A&M has signed in a long time. In addition, Jones has a good frame and should play at over 200 pounds at Aggieland. He’s already a physical player and probably wouldn’t have an issue from a physicality standpoint.

I watched him in multiple games at The Opening and he was playing halves virtually all of the time. He showed good judgement in terms of picking people up and deterring throws in his area. In fact, no one really challenged him much in large part because he could read route combinations, turn his hips like a corner, and close on wideouts who came into his area. He stayed deep, didn’t let anyone get behind him, and didn’t take unecessary risks. In particular, offenses tried to work defenses on route combinations featuring a short route to draw a corner and then use a slot to go to the flag. Jones had none of that unlike other people we saw. Overall, he had multiple pass breakups and interceptions on day two of the event and then followed that up with at least two more pass breakups in the 7 on 7 championship game, one on a sideline route and another down the middle of the field. He even got caught on one outside route going to the middle to take a seam runner and yet turned 180 degrees quickly enough to get back to the boundary to distract the receiver and force an incompletion.

In addition, the Aggies have targeted several corners in the 2020 recruiting class who are smaller than Jones. Although A&M fans probably like the thought of a big physical corner who can press receivers and play like a safety versus the run, Jones could give A&M someone who can cover down on receivers from up top and provide increased versatility in terms of their personnel and coverages.

Overall, while Jones has a lot of attributes you would like in a corner, he also has more than enough of them to check multiple boxes at safety. Jones certainly projects as a better cover guy at the next level but he is also the type of athlete that might just be a better safety.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Lying to recruits. It’s tradition 

Broughton - You can play DE

Achane - You can play RB

Jones - You can play CB

Vernon Jackson - You can play RB

Elijah Blades - You can qualify 

Clement - You can eat as much as you want 

Hansford - You can play WR

Jordan Jefferson - You can sign with A&M

Re: Blades - aggy's pulled off some qualification miracles over the past few cycles. He might have actually chosen well.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Re: Blades - aggy's pulled off some qualification miracles over the past few cycles. He might have actually chosen well.

Agree. They’re all aboard the cheat train. If Blades couldn’t qualify at Oregon, he ain’t qualifying anywhere else. 

Achane - You can play RB
Jones - You can play CB
Demas - That's a pretty cool hat.
  • Haha 1

I think we all need to take a deeper look at this "REAL RECRUITING" aggy class and where it stands.  I'll go ahead and count that 3* LB that'll commit tomorrow and have them at 15 total.

Eight (8) 3*'s.  The TE from Southlake may end up being decent.  DT from Tennessee could be serviceable.  The rest are JAG's/bread sticks.

Of the seven (7) 4/5*'a, Demas is a stud no doubt.  Jones could be a good safety, and may be a guy we wish we had if Washington goes to OU, but he's no CB ( who am I kidding, he's perfect CB for aggy ).  Omeire is overrated.  Aki is decent, but aggy isn't lacking for Guards.  Muhammad isn't any different than a lot of WR's in Texas and the CB is small.  I guess Diggs is pretty good, but isn't most of his highlights at TE?

This just screams a class that Saban is scared of.  I'm betting the Ogre isn't sweating much either.  Malzhan either.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

38 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I see aggy keeps convincing themselves they have a shot with Noah Sewell despite having a bro at Oregon and having 100% of the crystal ball picks.  This years Nakobe Dean.

Georgia is also pushing hard for him. It’s pretty easy to infer what’s going on when you have UGA, aggy, and Oregon at/near the top of your list.

• Like 1

Watching the opening championship on ESPNU and after the blowjobs for Haynes king all week I figured he would be starting for his team. Nope.

This coming after a discussion about how the starter is chosen in which they claim the best player from each team all week gets the starters reps.

20 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think we all need to take a deeper look at this "REAL RECRUITING" aggy class and where it stands.  I'll go ahead and count that 3* LB that'll commit tomorrow and have them at 15 total.

Eight (8) 3*'s.  The TE from Southlake may end up being decent.  DT from Tennessee could be serviceable.  The rest are JAG's/bread sticks.

Of the seven (7) 4/5*'a, Demas is a stud no doubt.  Jones could be a good safety, and may be a guy we wish we had if Washington goes to OU, but he's no CB ( who am I kidding, he's perfect CB for aggy ).  Omeire is overrated.  Aki is decent, but aggy isn't lacking for Guards.  Muhammad isn't any different than a lot of WR's in Texas and the CB is small.  I guess Diggs is pretty good, but isn't most of his highlights at TE?

This just screams a class that Saban is scared of.  I'm betting the Ogre isn't sweating much either.  Malzhan either.

Well, to be fair, I'm pretty sure Abilene Christian would be impressed, so it's not like there's nobody on aggy's schedule who thinks it's a big deal.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Achane - You can play RB

Jones - You can play CB

To be fair, they lie to everyone, including themselves.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The King situation is starting to corrode their minds. Also more Demas hero worship.

Hide contents

They really think that Spread QB's don't translate to the NFL?? BTW I guess it's true that King's dad really doesn't care for Jimbo. You would think he would have chosen them fairly quickly, yet here we are.  I hope he commits to them only to decommit to Auburn/LSU/Duke later on..

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

They really think that Spread QB's don't translate to the NFL?? BTW I guess it's true that King's dad really doesn't care for Jimbo. You would think he would have chosen them fairly quickly, yet here we are.  I hope he commits to them only to decommit to Auburn/LSU/Duke later on..

Ya, the NFL isn’t exactly falling over itself to adopt the spread stupid sip. NFL is a line of scrimmage league. Advantage aggy. Brady and Mahomes and Mayfield and Brees out front should have told ya.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The King situation is starting to corrode their minds. Also more Demas hero worship.

Hide contents

Maybe he meant "shear logic"?  Only a sheep fucker thinks college station is the best location of the bunch, that Baggins plodding offense is the best natural fit and/or he's an ace developer of QBs.  

And as far as being a superior program?   Barn football in 1957/2010,  Vol football in 1951/1998, and Duke basketball would all like a word.  

Last... while they certainly are proud of their facilities, I doubt any of the kids today know what an erector set is.  The warm familiarity associated with Kroger center is probably lost on recruits.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, markstanco said:

That's hilarious. Looking at 247, darby was committed to ND almost a year before jimbo offered. So yea, he was a total unknown if ND offered.

stupid sip, Jimbo is winning with diamond in the rough top 150 4 star prospects nobody wanted or knew about

• Like 1