Jimbo 2020: Strangers with Candi

Machinator

36 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Fisher gets who he wants". Ah yes, like that awesome QB in your class. Or maybe Jordan Jefferson?

Hide contents

Wonder if Bama thinks they are out as far as Evans too? That makes it them, Clemson and GA who most likely pass on Evans. Unless Saban just wants to grab two 5 star RBs for his class.

1 hour ago, VaHorn said:

Jimbo scoffs at diamonds in the rough. He only goes after the bluest of the blues. And if he doesn’t land them, then that means he has found another that has been overlooked who is even better.  

Jimbo overpaying for chocolate diamonds from Zales.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

"Fisher gets who he wants". Ah yes, like that awesome QB in your class. Or maybe Jordan Jefferson?

Reveal hidden contents

If Jimbo got those he wanted, he wouldn’t have all those 3*s.  Ya think Saban wants 3*s instead of 5*s.?  Hell no.

5 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So, does Karen also remember that Ronald Darby admitted that he could have stopped Jameis Winston from committing rape, but he chickened out and didn't do anything?

And lied to the NFL to try and cover up Winston's general rapey-ness: 

...Ron Darby's statement to the league was that he no longer recalled the Uber ride in question and that his text messages show that he was still outside the International club as Winston was finishing the ride.

I really just don't understand how a kid with any character whatsoever could ever play for Fisher. His "values" are extremely well documented.

41 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Holy shit Ogunbiyi weighed in at 348 lbs. at the opening.  That's Chasen Hines territory.

and still getting put on skates via bull rush. he's YEARS from being capable of playing well, and that's IF he takes to the S&C program, etc ... 

yikes. 

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

and still getting put on skates via bull rush. he's YEARS from being capable of playing well, and that's IF he takes to the S&C program, etc ... 

yikes. 

They are going to be forced to play someone like Chibuzo or Trainer at Tackle in a few years the way they're going.  

Haven't heard much lately from the Hayes kid.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

The rollercoaster is close to its peak (if they get Broughton this month, that's when it'll be at the top)

Reveal hidden contents

Well when you put it like that, losing Broughton wouldn't be so bad

34 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The rollercoaster is close to its peak (if they get Broughton this month, that's when it'll be at the top)

Hide contents

This reminds me of every conversation I have ever overheard from guys who look like this:

AdventurousIgnorantErmine-max-1mb.gif

Talking trash about various women's looks and relative attractiveness.  It's not relevant to you, buddy. Same deal with aggy and the playoffs -- it's not relevant to you, buddy.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@golfclap not sure if you've looked lately, but here is the listed weights for the 4 OL commits to aggy:  348, 330, 328, 325.

They found a heavier OL in High School Juniors than the starting Pittsburgh Steelers? 

Alejandro Villanueva - 320

Ramon Foster - 328

Maurkrice Pouncey - 306

David DeCastro - 316

Matt Felier - 330

So if Haynes King goes to Tennessee/Duke what is the word out of the station?  They are at peak levels of nose to asshole with King.  If his Daddy looks across the table at Baggins and says "nah" then how do those clowns spin that.  I hope this happens.  They are freaking out and shitting themselves over King. 

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So if Haynes King goes to Tennessee/Duke what is the word out of the station?  They are at peak levels of nose to asshole with King.  If his Daddy looks across the table at Baggins and says "nah" then how do those clowns spin that.  I hope this happens.  They are freaking out and shitting themselves over King. 

If that happens, then it means that Malik Hornsby is the greatest quarterback in the history of evar, even better than Vince Young, who by the way was not that good anyway.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If that happens, then it means that Malik Hornsby is the greatest quarterback in the history of evar, even better than Vince Young, who by the way was not that good anyway.

But wait, I thought Reggie McNeal was the GOAT at aggy until Johnny Crackhead.  

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hide contents

I think we’ve seen this scenario a few times before. Alabama will be going to the playoffs and aggy would sit at home. The protest would be glorious!

Just now, Neonmoon said:

LB Noah Sewell was Fong’D to Oregon, but now changed to Cloudy. Apparently plans to visit Aggy in October 

He has a top 3 of Oregon, Georgia, and A&M...soooo basically three schools trying to outbid each other. 

Brother plays at Oregon.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:36 PM, markstanco said:

It's going to happen again like it did with Mississippi.

Alabama will get tired of their shit and turn them in. Daddy doesnt rest for long.

But they have to threaten bama first which they're no doing. 

3 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Dude, are you not aware of the pure fear Saban lives with daily when he thinks about Fisher and Co.??

Nick Saban saw the new aggy 247 recruiting class and he was shaking, then he calmed down, but someone else who witnessed it said he was scared shitless!  Dabo got very puckered up too when he thought of facing Jimbo again.  Little Lincoln wants no part of any of this unless he can get Ed O to take him to Emeril's at happy hour.   

Been out of town, so SIAP. 

Spoiler

Ask Liucci: Excitement for 2020 schedule, recruiting on a roll & more

Liucci

12:33p, 7/4/19

Staff

AG

Quote:

Odds with Noah Sewell?

He's officially visiting for the Bama game, has a great relationship with Peveto and is very serious about the Aggies, having loved it his first time through. That gives the Aggies a legitimate chance, perhaps higher than the one they had with Nakobe Dean last year, but maybe not quite as good a shot as they had with Christian Harris. With that said, Oregon still stands out to both myself and Howell as the current (slight) favorite. Again, a legit shot for the Aggies here but there is work to be done (and time to do it).

Quote:

Do you think he can stay inside at 270?

Yep. I really do. As you can tell by what he's doing at The Opening, Noah is a rare physical talent. They don't make them like him often so playing standing up about 20 pounds heavier than most isn't at all out of the question, especially as a pure MIKE.

Quote:

Who is Haynes King?

Well-played. It is wild to see how much everyone is hanging on his every move. His national stock (in the eyes of the rankings and national services, etc.) has soared in much the same way over the last few days in Frisco. I don't know if I've followed a recruitment in which the fan interest - A&M, Tennessee, nationally...you name it - has skyrocketed like his has. As far as down the stretch goes, the amount of discussion (and hand-wringing/hope) Haynes' recruitment has generated is way up there when it comes to what I've seen from the boards over the years. I believe this one falls in favor of the Aggies and am more confident now than I was before The Opening and Elite 11 (when I felt it was very close but slightly favoring A&M). He still hasn't 'made the call' yet, so we're still in that 'anything can happen' phase so sit tight for a little while longer, and we'll soon know if Jimbo Fisher has officially landed his quarterback for 2020.

Quote:

Who do you think emerges as the back-up QB?

Really tough one to call. I think I'm going to stick with my original call of Calzada based on what I saw and heard this spring.

Quote:

Do you think Starkel will win the job in Arkansas? 

For his sake, I sure hope so. I have a hard time believing he won't claim that job. He's going to be way too impressive back there slinging it around in fall camp, and he'll be a quick learner of Chad Morris' offense.

Quote:

Next non-conference opponent or two you think we will schedule?

I think it will be a B1G opponent. I know the Ags did all they could to get Penn State on the schedule while Woodward was here, but the Nittany Lions ended up passing on it. Michigan or Ohio State would be my two guesses, and I've heard Michigan whispers over the past few months.

Quote:

How's Johnny? I was hoping he would get a training camp invite at least! Think it might happen for him?

He's doing fine up in Dallas. I caught up with him on Sunday and have a little something cool in the works with him and Mike later this month. As for the NFL, I don't think a camp invite is likely, but I guess you never know. I think what's more likely is we'll see him slinging it in the XFL's inaugural season.

Quote:

Which pitcher will the Astros trade for?

I like the idea of Matt Boyd but not for Kyle Tucker. Not yet, anyway. But you really are dealing with this incredible window of opportunity and a very real chance to win a World Series for the second time in three years and, regardless of what happens, the 'Stros should be one of MLB's best in 2020, as well. Make the most of this five-year or so run while it's here would be my advice. If adding one more big arm gets you over the top, you do it, but you'd better seal the deal. Right now, their pitching worries me in October.

Quote:

Who is a bigger alpha male in their sport, Justin Verlander or JJ Watt?

I think when you put the caveat of 'in their sport,' I might actually go Verlander. I've gotten to know JJ very well over the past four or five years, and he's about as alpha as they come, but he's in a sport where there are several in every locker room. Verlander seems to stand out a bit as far as baseball goes and that was especially so when I remember him with the Tigers. Watt is also every bit as good a dude as advertised, by the way. Nothing about it is fake. And neither is the smack talk you hear from him. The dude doesn't stop.

Quote:

Which of the 2019 signees are turning the most heads/generating the most buzz since arriving on campus for spring/summer workouts?

I'll get a good follow up here after they return for the second summer session, but I've actually heard names like Ke'Shun Brown, Jalen Wydermyer, Layden Robinson and Chris Russell as guys who have impressed early. I've seen Dylan Wright, Erick Young and Ainias Smith around as well, and those guys aren't missing any chance to lift this summer, either. I also was told that Elijah Blades has added some nice weight since arriving a month ago. Again, I'll have more when the coaches and guys get back from the holidays.

Quote:

What's the overall feeling with high school coaches regarding Jimbo and A&Ms staff? It seems like they are building great relationships throughout the state and elsewhere.

The overall feeling has been tremendous. I've talked to plenty who are completely sold on Jimbo and the future of the A&M program. Apparently, there are some haters out there as was reported in Dave Campbell's (a once proud magazine that has turned into a complete and total rag...it's sad what's come of it really), but that's always going to be the case. Texas high school coaches love hard work, a no-nonsense and honest approach and coaches who are accessible and who don't think they are 'above it.' That's Jimbo and that's why he's made such a stronger impression around Texas than Tom Herman has despite having a year head start.

Quote:

How do things sit with Kourt Williams II? I think he's a must get.

He's a very important piece of the puzzle. I really thought he was going to commit to Ohio State while on his visit, so him taking a step back and thinking through his decision can only help the Ags' cause. This one is close. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he ends up an Aggie but only mildly surprised because the Aggies are very much in the mix here as decision date looms sometime in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Quote:

Who in the NFL do you believe Demond Demas compares to?

Damn good question. He does have an awful lot of Randy Moss to his game. Not quite as tall and not quite as fast but close. He's the best prospect I've ever seen at the position, that's for sure. If you're looking for a current NFL receiver, he's going to make a lot of catches that you see guys like Mike Evans and Deandre Hopkins make.

Quote:

What is holding TD Moton back? Had high hopes for him and his NFL body...

I think consistency and the depth in front of him are what's holding him back. If he sticks around for 2020, he'd have a shot. For now, he's a guy who might get a few reps a game. It's a needed role, but he's currently behind a few guys at the position, that's for sure.

Quote:

Same question for C. Blumrick. He is faster and stronger armed than Mond. What is he lacking to prove he can be a good one?

Same as Moton, really. Starkel had the experience in year one and the bigger arm, and Mond is now the guy. What I think has hurt Blumrick more than anything is the injury he suffered his senior season of high school and then the subsequent redshirt year cost him dearly in that he now hasn't played a meaningful game snap in three full years. That makes it very difficult.

Quote:

Any Aggie more surprising of becoming a "max" professional athlete than Khris Middleton? Imagine telling people in 2012 and 2013 that he would make he would make way more money than Manziel.

Way more money than just about any Aggie out there. It's pretty wild what happens with that NBA money, isn't it? MLB, as well. Good for Khris - one of the all-time good guys I've covered and been able to call a friend through this job of mine. He's so deserving and will do great things for not only the Bucks but also the city of Milwaukee. Could be the next Aggie to win a championship. Maybe him next basketball season or Ross Stripling in October. I always though Khris was an outstanding player with an NBA future but would be lying if I said I thought leaving A&M after his junior season was the right move at the time.

Quote:

Final recruiting ranking of our 2020 class?

I think it's in the 4-7 or 5-8 range when all is said and done. Clemson, Bama and LSU are so far up there and Georgia and Ohio State will continue to climb, as well. The way the Aggies crack the top five is by signing Zach Evans and a couple of these high four-star national guys that they are in on but not necessarily in the lead. It's definitely doable, especially if your next few commits include Haynes King, Vernon Broughton, Chris Morris, Dontae Manning and Kourt Williams (among others).

Quote:

Will you be watching Stranger Things Season 3?

Plan on it! I really enjoy the show and tend to knock it out in about two or three days.

Quote:

Have you ever considered a Kim Jong Un haircut or suit?

No, but I'd like to somehow convince Logan or Hop to try that one out. I think either could pull it off.

Quote:

What does the 4th of July mean to you?

I mean, it's a holiday honoring the very freedoms that so many seem to take for granted these days. It literally commemorates our forefathers declaring this great country's independence from Great Brittain. I believe it's the most patriotic of holidays and the one that we should cherish behind only Christmas and Easter. The birth of our nation and the root of all of the freedoms and liberties we enjoy today. Well, all of that and a good lake, some fireworks and hot dogs, beers and friends and family of course.

Quote:

Where do we go at safety in 2020?

Good question. I think the Ags felt great about Antonio Johnson earlier in the process and they continue to work he and Vito Tisdale hard, but Johnson is committed to Tennessee and Tisdale is continued to be rumored to be leaning to UK and has missed a couple of scheduled visits. They also loved the safety from Jersey (Jordan Morant), but he chose Michigan earlier this month. Might be time to regroup a little at the position. Fortunately, it's not nearly as high on the need-meter as corner or linebacker, but you'll still probably see some movement here in the coming weeks, especially with the Aggies riding a wave of momentum that they could capitalize on.

Quote:

How's the overall health of the team?

About as good as you're going to have at this time of year. Nothing of major concern and no serious injuries suffered in the spring outside of Vernon Jackson, and that's still something they are in the process of figuring out. They should have pretty much a full complement to open fall camp.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these, things are getting fun around here!

Indeed they are! I told you guys to be patient. There are very few recruiters in college football as good as the guy leading the charge for your Aggies.

Quote:

Why did God let that 18-wheeler pull out in front of Ondario Robinson?

Not sure, but thank God he somehow survived it and came away unscathed! That was a frightening picture, wasn't it?

Quote:

If Haynes King were to commit somewhere else, who would the coaching staff go after next?

You'd probably see Malik Hornsby receive a very hard push after that.

Quote:

You get two out of three. King, Zach Evans, and Sewell. Which two you take? Personally, and I may be wrong, but I would take King and Sewell.

I see where you're going with that because LB is such a need. If you said Sewell AND Kourt, I might go there but not a 1-for-1. Evans is pretty damned special, guys. He really is. 

Quote:

We haven't heard much of Cordarrian Richardson. What are our expectations for him this year?

You haven't heard much because he missed most of last fall while rehabbing from shoulder surgery and then had a family issue to tend to in Florida that caused him to miss the spring game. He's a near-250-pound back who can really hammer defenses between the tackles. A very talented runner that some Aggie fans are going to be surprised to see make as significant a contribution as he should this fall, especially if Vernon Jackson can't go.

Quote:

Will we see A&M be a major player for a five-star defender in this recruiting class?

Heck, at the rate Noah Sewell is blowing up, he could end up a five-star before all is said and done. I don't suppose we will, but the Ags are heavily involved with several guys who are currently being courted by just about everyone in the country, guys like Sewell, Jaquelin Roy, Kourt Williams, Vernon Broughton and McKinnley Jackson plus a couple of others. Oh yeah, and don't be too shocked if Jaylon Jones doesn't enter the five-star conversation after the shows he put on in Atlanta and Frisco the past two weeks.

Quote:

What kind of Pass D improvement is feasible this year? Best case and "most likely" case.

I've talked about this a lot. The best case is that the Aggies have a good secondary this year with the prospects of fielding a truly great group in 2020. Most likely? A solid, veteran unit early and then, as some of the newcomers get acclimated, and Elko and Linguist are able to tweak things, a good unit from about mid-season forward. I've said it before: The defensive backfield could very well be the most improved unit on the team in 2019, both from last year to this year and from the start of the season to the end. Going to need a couple of the veterans to step up - guys like Debione Renfro and Myles Jones and need Leon O'Neal to emerge as the real deal for that to happen.

Quote:

Over/Under 2.5 5 stars in the 2020 class?

I think when the ranking shuffle is complete, the Ags end up with three. Jones has a shot at climbing into that category as does King and the Ags have a real chance at both King and Evans. We'll see if the rankings are kind to Haynes and Jaylon.

Quote:

Most money you've ever spent on fireworks?

Pretty much none. I don't think I've ever been in charge of putting a show together.

Quote:

How is our RB (Jackson) with the injured neck doing?

No update but I'll try to have one for the next Q&A.

Quote:

Who is your favorite A&M football player of all time?

That's a really tough one. Let's break it down into the ones I watched as a student and the ones I've covered. Covered? I would have to say 1. Manziel 2. Miller 3. Evans. Watched as a student? 1. Sam Adams 2. Ray Mickens 3. Greg Hill/Rodney Thomas/Leeland McElroy. The 'in-between' years (when I was just getting started but writing about all of my best friends in college) 1. Dat Nguyen 2. Dante Hall 3. Reggie Brown. I'm sure I've left one or ten out. Guys like Bucky, Pup, Coryatt and a few others came just before me, so I didn't get to watch them much as a high schooler.

Quote:

I'd like to know who's next in line after Braden Mann as our next punter and how do they compare with Braden (tough follow for sure)? I've always been a fan of special teams and realize it's not the most coveted aspect in recruiting, but do we have any updates for the future?

Too early to tell how they'll compare with quite possibly the best to ever do it in an A&M uniform, but both Seth Small and Caden Davis can punt. So I imagine the odds are pretty high it will be whichever one of those two don't win the placekicking duties next fall or a walk-on addition through recruiting this cycle.

Quote:

If the Texags crew had a July 4th hot dog eating contest, who would come out as champion?

Oddly enough, I think I'd go with Olin or Logan. Brauny would cry about one of them going down the wrong way, overreact in the most dramatic manner and bow out. Hop? He'd probably smuggle in his own brand of hot dogs like he smuggles Mr. Pibb into Olsen and get DQ'd. Dalton would just half-ass it, and Gabe would waste too much time videoing himself and taking pictures to post on all social media platforms so it would derail him. Darkhorse? Claydeezy. Skinny people tend to win these things.

Quote:

Which true freshmen and frosh will have the biggest impact this year?

If I'm picking three, I'm going with Cupp, Leal and one of the two safeties. Kenyon Green could be No. 1, but he'll have to beat out a veteran or two first to nail down a starting job, something the other guys don't even necessarily have to do. If you're talking about all newcomers, then you have to throw Blades in there, as well.

Quote:

In your opinion, are any of the juniors who left early regretting the decision to leave?

I haven't talked to them to ask them but usually once you do that, whether you go in the third round or undrafted, you're really too focused on the task at hand to look back. Not all of them made the best decision in terms of giving themselves the best shot to play at the next level, unfortunately, but all we can do is hope for the best for them. For the most part, I think the guys made the right choices, though. Time will certainly tell.

Quote:

What do you see as our floor and ceiling for season record this year?

Floor? 7-6. Ceiling? 11-2. I think most likely range is 9-4 to 10-3 (both with bowl wins so 8-4 or 9-3). My pick is probably going to be 8-4, to be honest, but I'd like to see a little of fall camp first. I'm a bit leery of underestimating Fisher's ability to really lead his team to a big-time jump in year two, even though I've circled year three from the very day he was hired as the breakthrough.

Quote:

What game do we win that no one expects today?

Kind of ties into the last one, doesn't it? I seriously might go with Alabama because it's at Kyle Field, though I think Georgia is the most beatable of the big three on paper. I know Fromm is very good but he certainly scares you a lot less than Tua and Trevor Lawrence when it comes to attacking A&M's back seven. Still, call it a feeling, but I'm saying Bama.

Quote:

Annual question from MWR Admin that she asked me to post (not really) - when are you getting married!!?? Need some grandkids!!

Yikes. I'm not sure I've met my wife yet, which could be a bit of a problem. I do need to get on that, don't I? I'm taking any and all setups... you know, 'power of TexAgs' and all! 

Quote:

Trevor Knight coming back for segments with you? Clay Travis? Hunter Goodwin?

Not sure about Clay. Gabe usually got him set up. I'll check with him at SEC Media Days. Trevor is definitely doing some stuff with us though he might not be able to do the pod from Dallas. Hunter is going to be my podcast partner this fall. Think I'm going to rename it "The Truth with Looch," how does that sound???

Quote:

Conference realignment thoughts? What schools will the SEC look at if they add two more to the mix?

Don't think that happens for a while but if and when it does, I still think they'd make a real run at UNC and OU. Sounds impossible, I know, but we're talking about conference Armageddon at that point, so anything goes. 

Quote:

Is Prater really going to hold off Jenkins, Matthews and Kenyon Green to start this year?

I think that's going to be a pretty tall order, but I've learned in this biz not to count anyone out. Especially a tough dude like him. Still, I think Jenkins started the spring strong, Matthews finished that way and Green is a legitimate future first-round talent. I believe youth wins out alongside Hocker (he has to show he can stay healthy this season, but he's a VERY good interior OL when out there) and McCollum.

Quote:

Predicted OL starting five and next three in?

Get back to me a week or so into camp. I'm having a hard time with the center/guard thing. My first thought was Green and Moore at the tackles, McCollum at center and Matthews and Hocker at guard. But I think Kenyon Green forces his way into the first five at some point this fall.

Quote:

Most dangerous game on the schedule not Clemson, Alabama, Georgia or LSU?

Auburn and I think I'd go South Carolina right behind them because of the volatile nature of Jake Bentley. You never know what you're going to get.

Quote:

Realistically, do you think Elko is here in 2020? I can't think of any big jobs that might open that he'd be interested in.

Yes, I do. He'll be making $2.1mm and, like you said, any job he'd leave for would have to be a legit P5 gig, IMO. He'll also know he's returning a pretty damn loaded defense in 2020 with what's coming back and how the Ags are recruiting. His stock will only go up.

Quote:

What is the funniest and/or most brutal trash talk you've ever heard while you're on the sidelines?

You know what's strange? You really don't hear a whole lot. Sumlin had a moment where he was talking ALL KINDS of trash to an LSU defensive back when Mike Evans stiff-armed him on the A&M sideline, and the LSU guys looked a little stunned when they saw the head coach doing that. I loved it at the time because it was kind of a "we're here to win" moment early in that game. Same when Ben Malena ran over the Florida linebacker. I think they were calling the A&M running backs "midgets" when they were coming up to the line, so Ben let the conscious LB hear it after he KO'd the one on that unforgettable run. Johnny did a lot of talking to the other sidelines during games (even to Nick Saban and the Stoops brothers during those wins) and I remember Kliff telling the Mississippi State fans, "You should have never let us in (to the SEC)!!!" He also asked why they were so quiet towards the end of the 2012 smackdown in Starkville. Of course, I'm leaving out all the times the Ags were on the receiving end of it because, frankly, there were too many to count from 2002-2010. 

Quote:

Who are we going to close with on the DL? 

This one is tougher than you'd think. There are some long shots out there, but I could see the Ags closing with Broughton and Princely Umanmielen. Vernon is going to be the next to decide, and it's no secret that we're talking about a pretty high-profile head-to-head between the Aggies and Longhorns.

Quote:

What are your thoughts on who has the upper hand of recruiting the state of Texas right now and moving forward?

There's zero doubt that the upper hand in-state belongs to Texas A&M, and that's likely to continue through the remainder of this cycle..especially if the Ags win the next couple of important battles for in-state top-10 talents that they currently find themselves in for Haynes King and Vernon Broughton. Some believe Devon Achane is a state top-10 guy too, and if I had to pencil Zach Evans to go anywhere right now, I'm not sure I could do it, but if you asked me whether he's more likely to end up at A&M or Texas, I'd go with Maroon & White over Burnt Orange.

Quote:

What is the reason the staff isn't all in on Xavion Alford and won't make a full push?

All I can think of is that he's very small no two ways around that. However, Xavion showed this week that he can flat-out cover. And I'm a big fan of how he performs in the actual games. He also carries himself with that something extra. I'm a fan. It will be interesting to see where the Aggies go at the position between now and the start of the fall.

Quote:

Outside of Haynes King (if he hasn't committed by the time this is finished), who is your guess for the biggest splash commitment to the Ags between now and signing day?

Between now and NSD? I honestly might say Zach Evans, but that's still a recruitment that could go any which way so I'll go ahead and say either Vernon Broughton, Chris Morris or Dontae Manning. You can also put me on record as saying the Ags are going to land one of these big national names from somewhere. I'm just not sure where yet. Kourt Williams, perhaps?

Quote:

Out of our current commits for 2020, who do you think will have the biggest impact next season?

Even in a crowded position room (at least during his true freshman season.) Before all of the juniors-to-be are gone, it would be tough NOT to go with Demond Demas. He's just that damn good. The dude is NOT sitting.

Quote:

Who do you think starts at right guard this year? It seems most people are assuming it's Colten Prater but I've heard good things about Tank Jenkins and Kenyon Green. Thanks for doing this by the way and happy 4th!

See above. I still think Kenyon Green is a first-round talent so it'll be tough to keep him off the field for long.

Quote:

Of your male colleagues, who has the best looking feet? Also, what is your favorite thing about Gabe? I like his voice but get the sense he's an A+ person too.

Feet??????? Male feet???? No thanks, I'll pass. Who do you think I am, Rex Ryan over here? Favorite thing about Gabe? When he's on vacation? When he answers his own question while he's asking for you for your opinion and steers you to agree with what he just said? The interruptions? Nah, Gabe is as good as gold and he's an incredible radio host who busts his ass not only for the show but also for TexAgs in general (and also for yours truly). He's been my sidekick and a close friend for going on about a decade now if you can believe that!

Quote:

More seriously, do you think we'd have been better off putting more boxes into the SEZ? Do you think they'd ever consider revisiting the idea?

Not sure. To be honest, I haven't put very much thought into that one.

Quote:

Smart money is on Joey Chesnutt right? How many hot dogs and buns could you take down in 10 minutes?

Isn't the smart money always on Joey C? Was that 30-for-30 any good? I haven't seen it yet. In ten minutes? Before that would have bothered my stomach, I think I could have put quite a few away. But now I couldn't tell you that last time I ate an entire dog and bun.

Quote:

You have to choose one of your employees to fight to do the death as your champion (Game of Thrones style)... who is it and why?

Dalton, I know this is you asking it, and I almost want to pick you just on loyalty and low center-of-gravity alone, but I just don't know. Does Steve or Seth count? Seth might be my pick. That CrossFit thing has to help. What about Kandace? Does she count? She's a religious attendee of Orange Theory and, maybe more than anyone I've ever met, she's someone who absolutely refuses to lose... at anything. Did you happen to see what she did to us in the Pick 'Em contest last fall? She knows her stuff - to the point that probably the one person I actually defer to and would NOT want to match wits with on radio (Steve and Seth are a walk in the park) - but if you don't think she went and STUDIED UP on those games you're absolutely nuts! So I'm not exactly sure who it is, but we've established that it's not you, Dalton. Maybe Coco (Canada is on a roll, right?) or Bridge. Out of the Social Center and into the field of battle. Nahhhhh. Who are we kidding here? Gotta be Stew Wade!!!

EDIT: Actually, I'd pick my own version of The Mountain. I'd choose Hunter. Not because he's 6-6 and about 260 and played in the NFL for ten years. Not because he's a rage-a-holic. But actually it's because of the 'Dog whistle voice' as his daughter Ella likes to call it. I'd just get him so worked up talking about politics or the spread offense that he'd resort to that high-pitched, breathless shriek of his, and it would stun the opponent long enough to finish the fight with one swing of the sword.

Quote:

Which game are you most excited for this year and why?

Honestly, I can't pick one out of Clemson, Bama and Georgia. They are all 1A in my book. I might have to go Clemson because it's in week two and they're the defending champs. I also think it has the potential to be a high-scoring shootout that could be very entertaining to watch. Then again, I've only seen the Aggies and Dawgs once and never in a game that mattered or in Athens.

Quote:

Thanks for doing these Liucci. One of the best features on TexAgs!

You're very welcome! My favorite feature, as well.

Quote:

Are all of our 2019 commits on campus now? No issues getting them all on campus and available?

Yep, I believe they are all here and accounted for.

Quote:

Next 12th man to replace Gilly?

This will be interesting. Either Keeath Magee or Braden White, IMO.

Quote:

Which other RB recruit are we most likely To sign?

Probably Devon Achane but after that, I honestly might go with Zach Evans.

Quote:

What was Anwar's take on the status of the A&M vs. t.u. rivalry? What do you see as the biggest positives and negatives about reinstatement?

He put a lot of thought and hard work into the article, and I thought it was well done. I just disagree with the premise and don't think the Ags need to play that game. At least not for another few years.

Quote:

FYI, I'm dead-set against playing them in the regular season until at least 2031.

I'm not dead set against it for that long but if they meet in a couple of meaningful bowl games between now and then, I'm good with it.

Quote:

Who were the best young QBs that you/staff saw at 7v7?

Counting camps and 7-on-7s and The Opening, I'd say Haynes King ranked one (as far as A&M targets go) and the '21s - Eli Stowers, Jalen Milroe of Katy Tompkins and Dematrius Davis of North Shore. From the Class of '22, the best one I saw was Martin, Tenn. gunslinger Ty Simpson and it wasn't even close.

Quote:

No questions, but thanks for what you do to keep us informed. Have a great and safe Fourth of July.

Thank you so much, and enjoy your holiday weekend with family and friends!

Quote:

You have one college football coach to party with for a weekend, who do you pick and why? And if you already have done that, give us a story.

Well, I've already done that with some of the all-time legends when it comes to that kind of stuff, both A&M and otherwise, so those stories won't make it into this or any column.

Quote:

Can you release the answers on friday? I will be the only person in the office and will need something to do

It looks like you'll get your wish... well, I may actually go with putting them out on the actual Fourth so don't read them until Friday!

Quote:

Do you think Demas has a legitimate argument at being the No. 1 player in this class? Thanks for this Looch.

I think he should. Best WR prospect I've ever seen and an absolute game-changer with the ball in his hands. As gifted a player as there is in the country this year, regardless of position.

Quote:

I've seen on here you think we will be more of a RB by committee approach this year with Corbin at the top getting most of the touches. How do you think the rest of the carries will be split up between our plethora of RBs?

Not sure at all. Too tough to predict at this time but if I had to guess and if they were all healthy, I'd say Richardson is my pick to rank No. 2 in terms of number of carries but a distant second.

Quote:

Do you think LSU takes care of Texas in Austin? I know nothing is going to shut up the sips who are still babbling about the Sugar Bowl, but it would sure help. Can only imagine the crap coming out of Austin if they somehow win that one.

Yes, I have imagined it. And it's cringe-inducing stuff. I think LSU wins that game, but Herman has historically been at his best in these types of showcase games, and LSU is certainly not without flaw. I'm still not sold on them offensively. I know the Horns lost a ton on defense, but if their secondary can take away a mediocre (at best) Tiger passing game with Joe Burrow, it suddenly becomes easier to just throw numbers at the running game. And LSU is suddenly in another one of those 'LSU'-type of games that becomes anybody's to win. If LSU has indeed finally committed to opening things up offensively, then I think they're a safe bet to win in Austin.

Quote:

Does the 2020 class have a path to best ever for us or #1 nationally?

I think in order to get there (best ever for A&M...Clemson has the top spot completely locked up) the Ags would have to land most of their premier remaining targets. Guys like Haynes King, Zach Evans and Jaquelin Roy for starters plus Vernon Broughton, Chris Morris, Kourt Williams, Noah Sewell, etc. They'll literally have to snag about five of those seven to start calling it a 'best ever' type of haul.

Quote:

Any thought on Donell Harris as a player and our chances with him? DE from Florida who just reclassified from 2021 to 2020. Just put us in his top five.

Extremely gifted coming off the edge. Ags will always have a shot in Florida if they can get them on campus. But he's a pretty big longshot even after the Aggies made their way into his top-5.

Quote:

IMO, he might be the best pass rusher I've seen us in the running for since Myles.

He's a card-carrying badass, that's for sure.

Quote:

How are we doing with the class of 2021? Are we doing well with the top in-state recruits? 

Still a little early to try and start making predictions but the Ags are certainly off to a great start with some of their most coveted targets. Guys like Eli Stowers, Landon Jackson, Bryce Foster and a handful of others.

Quote:

Is it too early to call Stowers our top target at QB in that class?

You asked this the day before Eli committed, so I'm assuming that was a strong enough answer for you. Stowers was always the No. 1 guy, and Jalen Milroe certainly came to camp and served noticed that the Ags had two (and maybe three with Preston Stone) outstanding in-state options at the position in 2021. At the end of the day, credit Stowers for jumping in early enough that there was no decision to be made and also to Fisher and Dickey for sticking with their initial eval and going with the guy they've believed in from the start. No need to overthink these things sometimes.

Quote:

Do you think the DMN is going to replace Ben Baby with another youngster from their staff, or do you think they will simply hire local stringers to provide content to save money? Ben seemed to want to stir the pot at every opportunity, did you ever get that impression when viewing his work? Seemed like a different person in your round table discussions then he did in his articles. Thanks for all the great content btw!

I don't think they'll hire a series of stringers. I've heard they'll commit an experienced writer to the beat. I absolutely thought Ben liked stirring the pot, and he and I talked about that on several occasions. But it was much more so on Twitter than in his actual writing. I also don't think he had any kind of anti-A&M agenda either. That's how he'd have covered any beat he was on, and it's how he'll be wherever he stops next (not sure he's announced where yet so I don't want to steal his moment...good Lord, you really ARE acting like the recruits you always make fun of Bambino!). We enjoyed Ben, which is why we invited him to do the round tables with us. I think he'll do a great job at his next stop, and he's a good dude who I may not have agreed with much but am definitely pulling for. He loves the profession, that's for sure, and it's getting rarer and rarer in today's day and age with the young guys. He'll have a long and successful career covering sports. Just kind of pissed we're not going to get the Baby/OB steel cage match that was feeling like a real possibility this fall.

Quote:

Am I crazy for actually predicting we go 10-2 in the regular season?

I'm not quite expecting it, but I also don't think you're crazy. The Ags have the potential to be a VERY good team this fall, and if one of the four top-8 teams they play turns out to not be as good as advertised, you knock off one of the other three and are a legit top-10 team capable of beating the rest, then yeah.

Quote:

Any information on what type of suspension/punishment, if any, Derrick Tucker will receive?

No word yet but I'm sure there will be some form of discipline. Just not sure if it would involve a game or two suspension or anything like that.

Quote:

Chances of pulling Jaquelin Roy out of Louisiana?

As of today, I'd say it's more like 'chances to keep Roy from going to Alabama?' as that's the most likely landing spot. But, damn, does he love Elijah Robinson, Terry Price and Jimbo. Bama's been in the driver's seat for a while, but I think it's probably A&M and not LSU riding shotgun at this point.

Quote:

Which replacement is the most seamless on offense, and which causes the most headaches between McCoy, Trayveon, Jace?

I don't think replacing any of those guys is seamless. Especially since McCoy was the toughest dude on the team, and Trayveon was the heart and soul of the Ags, and the Offensive MVP in wins over LSU, NC State and Ole Miss. Still, I'd say the toughest to replace is McCoy. He was just so damned good and, had he returned, I think the A&M O-line would have been flat out nasty.

Quote:

If the young girl that is cutting your hair tells you the Grand Canyon is "man-made".... what would you do? Should you help her out and tell her the truth... or try to hold yourself Together until you get outside and then roll on the parking lot ground laughing your ass off? Or buy her a script to TexAgs?

I think I'd politely tell her that it was either the aliens or the dinosaurs and then go laugh in the parking lot. And then I'd buy her a TexAgs sub so she could impart her wisdom on all of us.

Quote:

Assuming we go 9-3 this year, of the big four (Bama, LSU, GA, Clem), which team do we need to beat to make a good case for playing in New years Day bowl game?

I think if you go 9-3 on THAT schedule, the odds are very high that you'd end up in a NY6 bowl almost a lock. LSU went last year with the same record after beating what turned out to be a terrible Miami team and an above average Auburn squad plus one big win against Georgia.

Quote:

With the new beer sales at Kyle Field, and say 90K in attendance for each game, how much would you anticipate the ags will clear each game ($4 or $6 per beer)?

Not sure but I had heard that the AD would net around a million a year more so divide that by seven I guess.

Quote:

How does one get into the recruiting biz and how can I work for TexAgs?

My route to get here took forever, and it's Howell and Brauny who do the heavy lifting in terms of calling prospects and attending games and events constantly. I just check with sources, watch a lot of film and write about it (for the most part). If you're interested in doing this and are still young and flexible, send me an e-mail because we are always looking for interns and talented young people entering the business. If you're older and this is a bit, then I'd say you're missing out because working here is pretty freaking fun and rewarding. Just ask Stew Wade how much he likes it now that he gets to see how the other half lives. Jokes aside, this thing started for me as something I thought would be short-term while I was interviewing for jobs coming out of ID. Twenty years later and look at it now. I think we've done alright for ourselves.

Quote:

On paper, it this the best DL we've had in 20-plus years?

I'd hesitate to say that until we see how productive the defensive ends can be, particularly Tyree Johnson (can he take the next step as a pass rusher), Michael Clemons (will he play close to how good he looks) and DeMarvin Leal (how many games before he's comfortable and flashing that five-star talent). If those things happen, then, yes, this unit could be as good as any A&M has fielded since those Ty Warren-Rocky Bernard-Ron Edwards-Jason Glenn-led defensive fronts were on the field during the tail end of the Wrecking Crew's glory years. But yes, we're going back 20 years just for those, so I think by season's end this statement will end up being accurate.

Quote:

Where would you rank the WR unit in the SEC?

Probably top 3. Bama has to be considered No. 1 entering the season, but the Ags could draw serious consideration for the second or third spot in the 14-team league. And that's without SEC analysts knowing much about Caleb Chapman and a couple of gifted incoming freshmen, most notably Dylan Wright.

Quote:

Assuming no major injuries among the receivers this year, who will lead the Ags in receptions? Quartney Davis was second to Sternburger last year, so he might be the favorite, but I feel like Mond has a rapport with Ausbon as a security blanket in the middle of the field as well. Thoughts?

In receptions? I think you nailed it with Quartney being the favorite (I've multiple times that last year was essentially a breakout season for him if you look at what he did and who he did it against) and Ausbon should be right there as well. He is as good as I've seen A&M have when it comes to catching the slant and shorter over the middle stuff and that also happens to be Mond's best throw. Jhamon's role is also expected to expand this year. As far as yards per catch and TDs? I'd probably go Kendrick Rogers there. I think he'll be a big-play specialist all season for the Ags.

Quote:

Thank you in advance and Happy Fourth of July, Looch!

Thanks, my friend! Hope you have a great Fourth as well!

Quote:

A friend in "the know" says Chad Lindberg has bad knees and is not a take by Jimbo anymore. Any truth to this?

Not true. The Ags would take him. It's the Texas fan base that I heard saying it and apparently their media mouthpieces who were leaking that out about Chad for whatever reason. I still think he ends up in Austin, but there's a growing sentiment that he could play out of state at Georgia.

Quote:

Which LB recruit do we have the best odds at getting?

I still think it's Kourt Williams. I think Ohio State would be my pick, but the Ags are a close second, IMO. Same with Sewell, though. Oregon is a slight leader with the Ags coming up next for now. Antonio Doyle Jr. was the one I thought they had the best shot with, to be honest, and then he surprised everyone with the early Mizzou pledge.

Quote:

Also, dry rub vs wet ribs, what is better for July 4th?

For the fourth? I think you have to go with wet ribs.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

But they have to threaten bama first which they're no doing. 

Stupid sip. Saban has told multiple well placed Aggie sources in his own athletic department about how the only thing that keeps him up at night is Texas A&M and Jimbo, not Clemson. /Looch