Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

I was down there in Poc Thursday for a hot lap, we only fished from 7-1 from panther to SPL out of Charlie's with a guy that fishes tourneys and I had 6 bites all day on conventionals blind casting topwaters
I had 5 fish 2 reds over 29, one rat, 3 trout around around 20. All fish were isolated and I had to walk another 1/2 mile for the next fish. Saw nothing over 16" visually, after covering miles of water. Everything was near color changes and scattered.

Throwing a fly rod I could have maybe had the two trout but only because I knew in my bones a fish would be there- little wind current off a point with a little cover and color change. Classic ambush point you could draw up just like a river chart. The reds were just fan casting and covering Miles of water. Never visually saw a good red running or wading. And we did miles of both and being Thurs, pretty quiet down south.

Keep on chucking. It's work and the fishing on the coast gets worse every year so you gotta work harder.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/21/2024 at 3:47 PM, troph said:

100% this … because you know it’s not luck, but you do not know by how much…. Because I am never disappointed (not true), because i don’t expect anything because anything is possible, I can be hopeful even in failure… 

"one more cast"

• Hook 'Em 1

Today suuuuuuuucked at the coast. (Too) windy, unreliable sunshine with cloud cover often and the tide was a foot higher than you’d want.
Catching reds you prefer two of the three but absolutely have to have one. We had none of (1) calm winds, (2) full sun, or (3) water shallow enough to force the fish to tail or show a wake or anything.  

we went an hour multiple times with nothing to cast at.  

next time… 

And in 2 weeks, historically, the winds lays down and those conditions prevail. But this climate change makes that a wish, lately.

I'll probably go fish tomorrow, today we are going with 2 other couples to break in my buddy’s new 36’ Concept go fast boat. My rules are simple, when we stop to swim I don't care if the music is loud, but it has to be mellow.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Today suuuuuuuucked at the coast. (Too) windy, unreliable sunshine with cloud cover often and the tide was a foot higher than you’d want.
Catching reds you prefer two of the three but absolutely have to have one. We had none of (1) calm winds, (2) full sun, or (3) water shallow enough to force the fish to tail or show a wake or anything.  

next time… 

And in 2 weeks, historically, the winds lays down and those conditions prevail. But this climate change and El Nino makes that a wish, lately.

I'll probably go fish tomorrow, today we are going with 2 other couples to break in my buddy’s new 36’ Concept go fast boat. My rules are simple, when we stop to swim I don't care if the music is loud, but it has to be mellow.

14 hours ago, troph said:

next time… 

If it's any consolation there have only been about two days since I went to Port a the last weekend in April that have not been pretty damn windy.  You gotta get that humidity North somehow to create those monster storms! 

But you can always catch a buzz... 😉

• Hook 'Em 1

I usually only fish Fridays and it’s all to myself after a few days of lighter fishing so the fish are less pressured. This Friday with it being a holiday there were even a dozen fly anglers out in the skinniest water. The fish were hunkered down but with a ton of pressure anyway.  I think popularity of the sport and climate issues are definitely making it much harder. I don’t mind working hard for the catch, I just need conducive conditions. 

5 hours ago, troph said:

I usually only fish Fridays and it’s all to myself after a few days of lighter fishing so the fish are less pressured. This Friday with it being a holiday there were even a dozen fly anglers out in the skinniest water. The fish were hunkered down but with a ton of pressure anyway.  I think popularity of the sport and climate issues are definitely making it much harder. I don’t mind working hard for the catch, I just need conducive conditions. 

Friday’s started getting crowded about 15 years ago where I frequent.  Thursdays are now like Fridays used to be.  I wouldn’t even be concerned if I broke down on a Thursday, there’s enough folks to catch a tow.  

Wish this wind would lay down. I was looking back thru my notes a few years ago, and my first surf limit of the year from 1995-2008 was always between May 5 and June 1st.  This year has not been very conducive to that. 

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Wish this wind would lay down. I was looking back thru my notes a few years ago, and my first surf limit of the year from 1995-2008 was always between May 5 and June 1st.  This year has not been very conducive to that. 

well hell, you have 4 days left and the wind is laying down. Get to work! So I can live vicariously!!!!

On 5/26/2024 at 7:24 PM, fattyflattie said:

Friday’s started getting crowded about 15 years ago where I frequent.  Thursdays are now like Fridays used to be.  I wouldn’t even be concerned if I broke down on a Thursday, there’s enough folks to catch a tow.  

I have a crew that I fish Yarborough with. Camp and kayak sort of thing.

Starts getting busy Thursday afternoon.  Most of us get down there on Wednesday and that is a hard place to get to.

Back around 2008-2015, you could go on a Saturday and have the place to yourself with a little boat traffic.

Honestly, most of my fishing trips are around Monday- Thursday.  It was already easy to see the pressure increasing in the bays, but I think Covid made a lot more folks discover the Texas coast for more than a quick out and back party weekend.  All you need do is look at the rise in saltwater fishing licenses.  The graph below is pre covid. the one below it catches 2020 when covid came on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I have a crew that I fish Yarborough with. Camp and kayak sort of thing.

Starts getting busy Thursday afternoon.  Most of us get down there on Wednesday and that is a hard place to get to.

Back around 2008-2015, you could go on a Saturday and have the place to yourself with a little boat traffic.

I used to launch there to go to a buddy’s cabin on the land cut. Out of all the times I ever went (including spring break several times) I don’t think I ever saw another soul there.  The only time I ever remember people was they were putting in well pad or something back there and there was lots of dump truck in and out, with a dozer maintaining the road thru the dunes. Only “easy” time I ever had (was always towing my boat) 

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I used to launch there to go to a buddy’s cabin on the land cut. Out of all the times I ever went (including spring break several times) I don’t think I ever saw another soul there.  The only time I ever remember people was they were putting in well pad or something back there and there was lots of dump truck in and out, with a dozer maintaining the road thru the dunes. Only “easy” time I ever had (was always towing my boat) 

With Yarborough, there are "two" roads:

The road through the dunes.

The road to the bay.

Many a vehicle has been stuck in the dunes. Mostly driver error or totally inadequate vehicle.

The road to the bay can get really bad. NPS sometimes closes it because it gets too wet and they dont want jackasses back there tearing it up.

As you said, every once in a while, there is some well service work going on and the road gets fixed. The park service even fixed it a few years ago.

Of course it never stays fixed beacause they use inadequate material and the land sinks.

The park service should stockpile about 10 loads of bull rock just past the dune entrance and encourage people to take it and put it in the potholes piecemeal as the need arises. Problem solved and the road would eventually get stabilized.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lat22 said:

I used to fish PINS all of the time but never had the guts to take the turn at Yarborough. 

It was a bitch heading in (slightly uphill but you couldn’t see/tell) if pulling a boat.  Wasn’t too bad if you were just in a truck.  You could feel yourself going downhill on your way out and it was considerably simpler.  Was a really nice shortcut to landcut if you had a small boat.  It was difficult for me in my skiff to leave from bird island (fuel and big bay asswhip) 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I used to kayak fish there a ton with my cousin and his buddies out of Corpus.  Usually had decent success, especially in the fall.  And never saw anyone else in all the trips we were down there.  That whole badlands area from Yarborough up to the little choke point at the north side of Baffin has always held some nice redfish and drum that are fun to sight cast to.  

I did get stuck like chuck going through the dunes there one day pulling a little trailer with 4 kayaks on it.  Driving on the beach was smooth sailing all the way to Yarborough.  Get to the pass and throw it in 4WD low on my 2004 F150.  I hear a "thunk" and some grinding.  Not good.  Decided to give it a shot, and got stuck to the axle about 50 yds in.  Come to find out, my transfer case was shot.  We thought about unhitching the trailer and pulling it out from behind, but the trailer had bottomed out too.  My cousin was able to get his Tacoma through the dunes and in front of me, hooked up a tow strap and got me out.  I was kind of worried about making it back through the pass two days later.  We ended up putting the trailer on the Taco and I just gunned it through the soft spot in the pass and somehow made it.  Never been a Toyota guy, but I sure had some respect for Tacomas after that incident.  

On 5/28/2024 at 12:19 PM, horn4life said:

Honestly, most of my fishing trips are around Monday- Thursday.  It was already easy to see the pressure increasing in the bays, but I think Covid made a lot more folks discover the Texas coast for more than a quick out and back party weekend.  All you need do is look at the rise in saltwater fishing licenses.  The graph below is pre covid. the one below it catches 2020 when covid came on.

well on fridays in the fall, where we go (6 inches of water) there are very, very few boats. on the way to those spots we see bay boats for sure and sometimes bay boats would burn some shorelines we wanted to fish up close and tight but we usually end up alone in water very few can or want to access - favorite is way up in St. Charles Bay in the Wildlife Refuge - next to Park Road 22 there is no better place to be on the central Texas coast imo. boats can get in there but then other than maybe air boats we are going to spots that are unreachable for most. I think last October and November we saw 1 other skiff fly fishing in our general area and that was on a day when we had a record day (caught 8 or so including a big momma red). my guide would call a few other guides mid morning to check in but we'd rarely see them.

19 hours ago, troph said:

well on fridays in the fall, where we go (6 inches of water) there are very, very few boats. on the way to those spots we see bay boats for sure and sometimes bay boats would burn some shorelines we wanted to fish up close and tight but we usually end up alone in water very few can or want to access - favorite is way up in St. Charles Bay in the Wildlife Refuge - next to Park Road 22 there is no better place to be on the central Texas coast imo. boats can get in there but then other than maybe air boats we are going to spots that are unreachable for most. I think last October and November we saw 1 other skiff fly fishing in our general area and that was on a day when we had a record day (caught 8 or so including a big momma red). my guide would call a few other guides mid morning to check in but we'd rarely see them.

feel free to share any of your spots 😁

13 minutes ago, huge said:

Headed to Crystal Beach tomorrow and the forecast looks like WIND.  Hopefully it is at least worth a shot to get a line in the surf at some point.

my barber was down there last weekend. Take a cast net, he caught plenty of bait for sure and some big drums. Crab trap is good too, fun for the boys and reds love crab 

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

feel free to share any of your spots 😁

If a bay boat can’t get there up in the refuge that’s my spot - those little lakes accessible by small cut through streams can be money in the fall. Sometimes pods will get trapped up in there when the tide goes out and it’s OMFG time. 

1 minute ago, troph said:

If a bay boat can’t get there up in the refuge that’s my spot - those little lakes accessible by small cut through streams can be money in the fall. Sometimes pods will get trapped up in there when the tide goes out and it’s OMFG time. 

we never go that far south. Seadrift to Port OConnor. I’ve fished twice out of austwell with locals, killed it. I’d highly recommend an austwell guide / local. But I’ll add, that’s a weird group of people 

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

we never go that far south. Seadrift to Port OConnor. I’ve fished twice out of austwell with locals, killed it. I’d highly recommend an austwell guide / local. But I’ll add, that’s a weird group of people 

That’s funny. Aransas wildlife refuge is about as far north as we go.  Sometimes we are out on the island side in those duck lakes but we never make it up to PO/PL.

• Hook 'Em 1

Headed to Crystal Beach tomorrow and the forecast looks like WIND.  Hopefully it is at least worth a shot to get a line in the surf at some point.

Looking forward to a report. I sure wish they would build the long-promised pier to replace the shore fishing area of rollover cut.

You can always wade fish the bay side of the old cut, but thinking about it I wonder if that area is even productive anymore without the tidal action.

Putting this out there - if you want to fish Sabine on Saturday or Sunday, let me know. You could meet me in Port Acres and we could fish Keith Lake or even SW LA in my boat.

That's an open invitation to all of you, by the way.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

my barber was down there last weekend. Take a cast net, he caught plenty of bait for sure and some big drums. Crab trap is good too, fun for the boys and reds love crab 

yeah that is my usual MO

cast net for some bait and then get that as far out as possible

catch hardhead and cut that up for more bait options

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BearSchlong said:

Looking forward to a report. I sure wish they would build the long-promised pier to replace the shore fishing area of rollover cut.

You can always wade fish the bay side of the old cut, but thinking about it I wonder if that area is even productive anymore without the tidal action.

Putting this out there - if you want to fish Sabine on Saturday or Sunday, let me know. You could meet me in Port Acres and we could fish Keith Lake or even SW LA in my boat.

That's an open invitation to all of you, by the way.

my wife would shit an eggroll but your hospitality is duly noted 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, huge said:

yeah that is my usual MO

cast net for some bait and then get that as far out as possible

catch hardhead and cut that up for more bait options

slap that head on a big hook 🪝 

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Casually dated a few girls from that neck of the woods in my younger days, including the daughter of a shrimp boat employee from Port Aransas ("let's go by my house to meet Jed/Daddy"), and a ginger who worked the drive-thru at the Rockport Burger King. 

Also watched my dad evict a fishing guide from a rent house for non-payment of rent and then, watched said fishing guide return a few months later to get his lady's Christmas decorations out of the attic.  I felt sorry for the guy - his message was basically, "I'm not paying the rent, and whatever you are going to do to me, do it, because I'm not leaving here without the Christmas decorations."  No violence was threatened but I felt like that dude was cornered.

Weird group of people sums it up nicely and I can sincerely say, I've seen some shit.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Austwell is very much a step back in time 

Hell I did not know where Austwell was, so i google searched it and it does have 8 RV spaces and a boat ramp.   And I thought Seadrift was tiny...

On 5/31/2024 at 6:18 AM, horn4life said:

Hell I did not know where Austwell was, so i google searched it and it does have 8 RV spaces and a boat ramp.   And I thought Seadrift was tiny...

Friend of mine bought a 1/2 acre and pretty good sized Quonset hut right near the ramp there for something like $4000 about 15 years ago.  Ramp was pretty shittacular last time I was there, and shallow all around it.  The Tivoli DQ is the night life of the area. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/28/2024 at 2:11 PM, fattyflattie said:

A buddy of mine has a cabin on land cut.  We do a duck and fishing cast and blast in November.  It is heaven.  Usually weather is perfect.  I never see anyone back there.

20 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Friend of mine bought a 1/2 acre and pretty good sized Quonset hut right near the ramp there for something like $4000 about 15 years ago.  Ramp was pretty shittacular last time I was there, and shallow all around it.  The Tivoli DQ is the night life of the area. 

I remember when they were selling 5 acre parcels right off Lane Road up the road from Charlie's for like $10K. I talked to a couple buddies about splitting it and building a couple simple Barndos, but no one was interested. 

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

I remember when they were selling 5 acre parcels right off Lane Road up the road from Charlie's for like $10K. I talked to a couple buddies about splitting it and building a couple simple Barndos, but no one was interested. 

Ive got one better.  Within the last ~7 years, I passed on a cabin in Baffin for 35k.   You know, the ones getting 100k just for the permits now...  I will never forgive myself or the buddies I pitched it to.

• Rage+1 2

17 minutes ago, TPCJ007 said:

Back to the tipping question. We've got a deep sea charter this weekend that will have a captain and deckhand. Do we tip 20% to the captain AND 20% to the deckhand?

I'm interested in hearing the answer from those that use deep sea charters.  I would tip the captain 20% and let him share it with his crew.  I can't imagine tipping both 20%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TPCJ007 said:

Back to the tipping question. We've got a deep sea charter this weekend that will have a captain and deckhand. Do we tip 20% to the captain AND 20% to the deckhand?

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm interested in hearing the answer from those that use deep sea charters.  I would tip the captain 20% and let him share it with his crew.  I can't imagine tipping both 20%.

this is always what we did. tip 20% on the charge, give it to the captain.

@justhookit is probably the best to ask.

Posted (edited)

A first for me this week with some type of issue with my chest/heart that had me worried I was going for one of those “family guy in good physical shape dies of massive coronary” stories. Got through that mess no worse for the wear (save several doctors appointments set up), but knew I had to calm my soul and recharge the cybertruck of my mind. 

all caught on small llanolope or a olive bead head wooly bugger dropper. Water on brushy was just serene and clear. 

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0105.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

IMG_0103.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

Edited by hookemATL
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TPCJ007 said:

15-20% total. It’s generally best just to give the captain the entire amount and let him decide what he wants to give the deckhand.

Also I’ve tipped more than that and less than that depending on how hard they worked. I tipped 5% on a charter in Cabo that really pissed me off by killing a marlin for no reason. Looking back on it I shouldn’t have tipped them anything.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/3/2024 at 1:42 PM, fattyflattie said:

Ive got one better.  Within the last ~7 years, I passed on a cabin in Baffin for 35k.   You know, the ones getting 100k just for the permits now...  I will never forgive myself or the buddies I pitched it to.

Was it a floater or on land?

There's a total of 11 cabins on the island where my buddy has his place at the mouth of Baffin on the intracoastal.  He knows that if any of them ever have the slightest inkling of selling, to call me ASAP.  My wife would hate me for it, but I'd absolutely make a ridiculously foolish financial decision if one of them came available.  

CSB... the floaters are regulated by TPWD but the cabins on land are regulated by the General Land Office.  And, the cabin is OWNED by the state, leased by an individual in 5-year terms.  

I'm under the impression that they're not issuing any more permits, but if I can retire in the next 5 years or so, I'm going to invest some serious time trying to find a way to get a new permit on that same island.  

22 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Was it a floater or on land?

There's a total of 11 cabins on the island where my buddy has his place at the mouth of Baffin on the intracoastal.  He knows that if any of them ever have the slightest inkling of selling, to call me ASAP.  My wife would hate me for it, but I'd absolutely make a ridiculously foolish financial decision if one of them came available.  

CSB... the floaters are regulated by TPWD but the cabins on land are regulated by the General Land Office.  And, the cabin is OWNED by the state, leased by an individual in 5-year terms.  

I'm under the impression that they're not issuing any more permits, but if I can retire in the next 5 years or so, I'm going to invest some serious time trying to find a way to get a new permit on that same island.  

Floater near the mouth. The money wasn’t even the driver at the time, although the wife wouldn’t have been happy. They were 35-50k forever, and I just assumed it wouldn’t make a jump like that. Boss’ SIL bought into one last year, 225k.    Too much for me for something you can’t insure that gets damaged that much. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Floater near the mouth. The money wasn’t even the driver at the time, although the wife wouldn’t have been happy. They were 35-50k forever, and I just assumed it wouldn’t make a jump like that. Boss’ SIL bought into one last year, 225k.    Too much for me for something you can’t insure that gets damaged that much. 

I knew there had been a jump, but I had no idea that much.  I was thinking $100K.  Agree 100% on your stance.  Especially for a floater.