Fishing Megathread: Looking For Big Girls Who swallow

Mac8111

4 hours ago, troph said:

No one answered my question probably because they didn’t want to embarrass me with their stories of tagged reds on the fly every trip.

Lol. I mean, if we aren’t getting a PB on each trip, what are we doing really?

There are good fisherman that skunk now and again, before you even factor in the whole fly aspect.  I dabble with the fly, but don’t fish enough lately to make myself go and get skunked. I applaud those of you that stick with it. 

I will say it seems like always the best strategy to catch is to cover a lot of water. Wading on your own without a boat is great fun but if that spot doesn’t have fish, you can cast til the sun goes down and you won’t get a bite. I probably waded 3 spots a total of 2 miles on foot either site casting (rare) or blind casting with a pattern almost like mowing the lawn. 2 miles x60 feet means I was tossing a fly across a lot of water.  In that time last weekend I had one verified red that’s it. Some black drum tails too. Fucking mullet tho… 
Fly fishing Texas flats can be Very challenging. Even more so on foot. Kudos for grinding it out.

Drum are hard to get to eat anything that doesn't stink- frustrating. You can walk a half mile and just about to be to fish when some Pendejo rips through in an airboat.

I don't throw the fly as much as I want because I have to find fish so the people I fish with also find fish and catch some so I throw conventional 90% of the time especially once I had kids. Find the fish; put my rod away.

I probably walked 2 miles Monday throwing mostly topwater conventional and landed zero slot sized reds. Tons of trout 16-23, kept a few for my buddy who likes to take home meat. I can cover way more water than fly fishing and blind cast miles of flats. But I caught zero over 20". Been fishing that area my entire life. No boat traffic. Zero slot reds.

Fly fishing is so much harder, it's at times very cruel, but to see them eat and land one on a fly is next level. A 27 inch red on a conventional reel and top water is cool, but been there done that.

I did catch a fuckload of ladyfish and a few smacks in the surf this morning. Got one Tarpon to eat a fly, came unbuttoned after 20 seconds. Maybe 20 lbs. Some trout early; no reds. Quite a few tarpon around until tide petered out, I'm just not great at targeting them. Had a lot of chances.

Troph, I'd also suggest starting very early if blind casting shorelines particularly trout. Fish will often be tight to shore and skinny and showing signs at first light. By 8 they often get a little deeper or scattered and moving and much harder to target with a fly because its so much water to cover; but then you can switch to more sight casting or working lake shorelines and micro spots up shallow. Buddy of mine only fishes fly and when he goes with me he does best with this strategy. As morning progresses we may be a mile apart but both catching fish in different ways.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/6/2023 at 6:42 AM, troph said:

No one answered my question probably because they didn’t want to embarrass me with their stories of tagged reds on the fly every trip. But I talked to my trout and bass guide about it as he’s transitioning to a salt water guide for the warmer months and he said he’s skunked often. 

@CycleTex87 do let us know who you use, my salt water guide is retiring and I’ll need another one for next year. I think I have my guy but always open. 

I typed up a response but it was pretentious so I deleted it.

The fishing journey is the following stages:

1. Catch a fish

2. Catch lots of fish

3. Catch the biggest fish

4. Couldn’t care less if you catch any fish

You’re in stage 1 and so it’s easier said than done but try to remember it isn’t really about the fish.

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

1. Catch a fish

2. Catch lots of fish

You’re in stage 1 and so it’s easier said than done but try to remember it isn’t really about the fish.

I think the stages are long term and short term. I’m actually in stage 4 long term and have been for a while (I got there when off shore fishing years ago, fishing is the activity that gets me outside and in nature, it's like hiking really), but I’ve added salt water fly fishing the last 2 years and I am trying to evaluate the quality of my guide and I could be in an earlier stage temporarily here for sure. If it’s regular to not find reds then I’m good, but he’s only be down here for 2 years so I wonder if he’s still learning. What brought this up is we have not found them the last 3 trips out, in a row. Do I like wading without catching? sure, of course. I get almost all of what I need from just being there, but everyone wants to be good at it and I don't have a frame of reference. I have to switch next year anyway but this goes into the calculus of who do I go with next. Basically I don’t know how to evaluate guide performance in locating fish when fly fishing for reds. He’s a great teacher, patient, cool, when we have the fish he’s good setting me up, and he’s got a great eye for them, usually sees them first. If we are not finding them because it’s hard and not finding them is normal then rock on. I get what I need just being out there provided it’s the normal ebb and flow. But if he can't figure out where to go and so we keep missing the fish, then I'd like to make that part better.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, troph said:

I think the stages are long term and short term. I’m actually in stage 4 long term and have been for a while (I got there when off shore fishing years ago, fishing is the activity that gets me outside and in nature, it's like hiking really), but I’ve added salt water fly fishing the last 2 years and I am trying to evaluate the quality of my guide and I could be in an earlier stage temporarily here for sure. If it’s regular to not find reds then I’m good, but he’s only be down here for 2 years so I wonder if he’s still learning. What brought this up is we have not found them the last 3 trips out, in a row. Do I like wading without catching? sure, of course. I get almost all of what I need from just being there, but everyone wants to be good at it and I don't have a frame of reference. I have to switch next year anyway but this goes into the calculus of who do I go with next. Basically I don’t know how to evaluate guide performance in locating fish when fly fishing for reds. He’s a great teacher, patient, cool, when we have the fish he’s good setting me up, and he’s got a great eye for them, usually sees them first. If we are not finding them because it’s hard and not finding them is normal then rock on. I get what I need just being out there provided it’s the normal ebb and flow. But if he can't figure out where to go and so we keep missing the fish, then I'd like to make that part better.

Yeah I hear ya. It's the bolded part chewing you up.

Fly fishing is an ego thing. It makes no sense to target fish the most difficult way possible if you actually want to catch fish. It's about proving to ourselves we can do something that is hard.

Then you get into the internal fight with regards to what you expect to happen based on your experience, and that's a fools errand that further breaks down your ego (I say this all the time but the more time I spend on the water the more I realize I don't know a fucking thing about any of it).

Don't beat yourself up, enjoy the journey. You can't have the sugar without the salt. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yeah I hear ya. It's the bolded part chewing you up.

Fly fishing is an ego thing. It makes no sense to target fish the most difficult way possible if you actually want to catch fish. It's about proving to ourselves we can do something that is hard.

Then you get into the internal fight with regards to what you expect to happen based on your experience, and that's a fools errand that further breaks down your ego (I say this all the time but the more time I spend on the water the more I realize I don't know a fucking thing about any of it).

Don't beat yourself up, enjoy the journey. You can't have the sugar without the salt. 

This is solid. it is an ego thing. seeing a dark shadow moving in the mudwater 120 feet away, recognizing it's slow style means it is a red, then spending 10 minutes lurking around and toward it to position for a down wind cast, never losing sight of it. then deciding at 60 feet to cast and putting that little flavorless, odorless fly in front of it and seeing if you can get the fish to bite is probably a pretty silly way to fish efficiently. but damn if that isn't the most exhilarating way to catch them.

My mantra when headed out for a day on the salt is 'The Fish Gods Owe Me Nothing'.

Of course, my mantra in life is the key to happiness is low expectations. Fly fishing brings that home in a big way.

I do try to have low expectations, but even though my stock is rising (think stock market ups and downs but generally increasing) at the moment it feels like a pretty significant bear market. I'm just frustrated.

But what I hear is, look, you are already a little nutty because you want to catch fish the hard way, because why, catching them the easy way got boring?  Yeah, that's it. But I got a little jealous seeing the bay boats with spinners coming back with a catch and I'm frustrated because I struck out the hard way? Yeah. Well you should realize there are easier ways to catch but you don't want that anymore so just accept the masochistic tendency and go for the ride and get back to what you know, being out there with the chance is the best part.  it's true the best moment of fishing is when you first set out from the dock because the possibilities of an epic day are still there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, troph said:

This is solid. it is an ego thing. seeing a dark shadow moving in the mudwater 120 feet away, recognizing it's slow style means it is a red, then spending 10 minutes lurking around and toward it to position for a down wind cast, never losing sight of it. then deciding at 60 feet to cast and putting that little flavorless, odorless fly in front of it and seeing if you can get the fish to bite is probably a pretty silly way to fish efficiently. but damn if that isn't the most exhilarating way to catch them.

I do try to have low expectations, but even though my stock is rising (think stock market ups and downs but generally increasing) at the moment it feels like a pretty significant bear market. I'm just frustrated.

But what I hear is, look, you are already a little nutty because you want to catch fish the hard way, because why, catching them the easy way got boring?  Yeah, that's it. But I got a little jealous seeing the bay boats with spinners coming back with a catch and I'm frustrated because I struck out the hard way? Yeah. Well you should realize there are easier ways to catch but you don't want that anymore so just accept the masochistic tendency and go for the ride and get back to what you know, being out there with the chance is the best part.  it's true the best moment of fishing is when you first set out from the dock because the possibilities of an epic day are still there.

No we're cookin' with gas.

Frustration morphs itself into some pretty existential questions when you've been standing on the bow for 7 hours and it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity and you haven't even seen a fish. 

Permit fishing on the fly is the epitome of stupidity when it comes to 'fishing'. Like it's the stupidest thing on the planet IF the point is actually catching fish. I pay anywhere between $500-$1000+ for a day of 'fishing' and the likelihood of actually catching a fish is maybe 5-10%? Why do I put myself through that?

I really don't know, other than to say I'm pretty sure I have a screw loose in some way. You said masochism and I think that's right. I like the pain in some way. I think it's because every time I I grab that tail, I know how much I had to suffer to get to that moment. 

I guess what I'm saying is the point isn't the fish, the point is everything (the anticipation, the disappointment, the anger, the self-doubt, ALL OF IT!) that goes into the fish.

So don't beat yourself up for not finding fish or catching fish. In fact, in some warped way come to appreciate that you're able to feel such intense emotions about something you have a passion for...a lot of folks don't have that. 

it's true the best moment of fishing is when you first set out from the dock because the possibilities of an epic day are still there.

If that ain't the damn truth. Years ago I asked folks the best part of fishing for them, because 'the possibilities' is it for me. Something about 'what might be' is so enthralling to me.

• Like 3

I just want a day on the water with my fly rod, and I'll pay a guy to use his boat, put me on some fish, and pick the correct fly for the conditions.  I'll take care of the rest, even if it means not catching anything.  The Zen of it is more important than anything else. 

At least, that's what I'm trying to tell myself.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well I’m nothing if not an eternal optimist that is attracted to suffering.  No wonder I’m addicted to fly fishing.

My GT trip to Tahiti I caught one fish and spent $4000 on a guide and 2 days in butt ass hot weather to catch that one. That’s not including airfare and accommodations. 

The thing is people don’t post pics of strikeouts. So it’s easy to feel alone, like you’re the only one that gets your ass beat by conditions. Add a little imposter syndrome and you think it’s all you. In the end I’m probably an intermediate angler now with the fly rod, I just feel like a total loser this spring with a run of bad luck.

I’m not ready for permit. Tarpon yes, but that’s because I lucked into hooking a 50lb one on my first try. 

Edited by troph

17 minutes ago, troph said:

My GT trip to Tahiti I caught one fish and spent $4000 on a guide and 2 days in butt ass hot weather to catch that one. That’s not including airfare and accommodations. 

One other thing I’ve learned:

Feel free to check my math, but the distance between 0 and 1 is like 100,000x the distance between 1 and 2.

40 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

One other thing I’ve learned:

Feel free to check my math, but the distance between 0 and 1 is like 100,000x the distance between 1 and 2.

1 to 2 is 1, I’m not sure true zero to 1 is even measurable is it?

3 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I just want a day on the water with my fly rod, and I'll pay a guy to use his boat, put me on some fish, and pick the correct fly for the conditions.  I'll take care of the rest, even if it means not catching anything.  The Zen of it is more important than anything else. 

At least, that's what I'm trying to tell myself.

It is about the zen until you are in a slump then you question your value as human being. 

It is about the zen until you are in a slump then you question your value as human being. 
Slumps are part of it. I'm constantly in my head. Where to fish, what to throw, should I stay on a spot or a fish or move. Its all part of a chess game with an opponent and board that are not static.

I've landed some of my biggest trout when I was well past ready to move or quit. Sometimes the beauty of it all, is when that "just a few more casts" yield a great fish. I find sometimes I know I'm getting bit the second I start the forward casts. Even blind casting, I just know with every fiber of my being- this is it. It all comes together in real time but I'm not thinking at all, it just happens. That's pretty amazing. I've had streaks where I felt godlike.

That's why I suffer through tough trips. I've had my share of droughts even with guides. I had one early last summer and it extended through hiring two really good guides to take CA family fishing and we used bait ffs. A month of frustration. We caught a few, but it was rough.

Fished the fall and felt better
  • Hook 'Em 2

Brushy creek and the guad in the winter are my go tos to feel better I usually catch double digits. I’d like to add the Colorado and llano as money, llano is close. I need to find a better spot on the llano. We talked about that earlier.  Ive had 5 red days on the coast it’s unreal now thinking back on it. 

On 6/7/2023 at 9:46 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

1. Catch a fish

2. Catch lots of fish

I think there’s more… Catch a particular fish, fish a different way and at least catch a particular fish in a particular place. These are what got me fly fishing and traveling to fish. 

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I think there’s more… Catch a particular fish, fish a different way and at least catch a particular fish in a particular place. These are what got me fly fishing and traveling to fish. 

A few years back, during a particularly long and dark winter, I tied a fly using my short and curlies. And yes, it fished.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do we need some Traver up in here?

I fish because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;

because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;

because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;

because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;

because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip;

because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters;

because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;

because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there;

because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid;

and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, texastough said:

Do we need some Traver up in here?

I fish because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;

because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape;

because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion;

because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;

because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip;

because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters;

because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness;

because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there;

because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid;

and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.

That’s some good shit. I have a few things to do before I kick the bucket. Writing a memoir for my kids is on the list. A chapter on why I fish is a must. This guy gets pretty close to my reasons. I already have shared a lot about why but the river/flats, my dog, and the trout/reds/bones don’t care who or what I am. They border on completely unaware to unwavering loyalty to immovable indifference.  

Fished in an industry tournament down in Galveston on Saturday morning. One of my better fishing days in a while. Ended up with a personal limit of trout including a real nice 21'. Our boat finished with 13 keeper trout and 1 slot redfish, and landed probably another 20 or so throwbacks (small trout, rat reds, black drum...etc).

Also caught the biggest ladyfish I've ever seen. Hit it hard and I got pumped thinking I had a prize trout on and then this monster jumps out of the water after about 5 seconds of fighting. Disappointing, but fun to reel in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Okay, so....it's been several years since I've flyfished any of our local rivers.  I used to hit the Llano a good bit -- routine was a very late bbq lunch somewhere, then get on the water around 4:00 (when it's still hot as hell), and fish till near dark, with the best action and best conditions being after 5:30 or so.

Used to really like the HWY 87 crossing over the Castell crossing -- anyone fished that lately?

Got my daughter in town for at least the summer.  She's having a bit of a rough go of it, and she needs to go fishing.  And so do I.  So, I'm thinking the Llano is our best bet.  But really, any pretty water where we can catch some sunfish and small bass would be plenty fine.  Just get in the water, be in the river, and be in the moment, focusing on our rusty casts and trying to coax a bite out of something hiding in a shadow near the bank.  Any better advice/thoughts for me?

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 4:40 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I think with the rain the Austin area got yesterday and maybe tonight, I would head west and fish the Llano.  My go to spot for wading the Llano is starting at the confluence of the Llano and the James Rivers (30.64907, -99.25000).  You can wade down quite a ways and wade up to where to rivers meet.  You can also head further up the James and wade a lot (depending on the water level).  Last year I fished the James up past the bat cave (30.56545, -99.32981) and caught plenty of Guads and a couple Rios.

I haven't fished Castell, but there is probably plenty of wading available there as well.  The guy that owns Castell Store, and much of Castell, is nutty MAGA douche. 

If I am making a full day of it, I'll leave before dawn and drive way out west and then fish several spots on the way back.

If you haven't picked up a copy of Aaron Reed's Fly Fishing Austin & Central Texas, do you self a favor and get one.  He sets out 50 different wades in 21 rivers/creeks within a couple hours drive from Lady Bird Lake.

@Brisketexan - here are my thoughts on the Llano.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fished Poc Sunday and Monday. Great time but slow. I caught 4 nice trout 21-26 Sunday , but the rest of my group caught a very little, and mostly garbage on bait. My son grinded with a topwater and had a few rat reds to show but that's it. Often one bite per wade. yikes

I could not find fish, worked and walked my ass and only found single trout here and there. The 26" was in maybe 12" of water, it burped up a slick and I smelled it and turned around, cast into the wind and stuck it on a jerk bait fished on top, saw it eat. That was cool, my son should have had that fish as I was fishing slightly deeper looking for school trout for our newbs but he fell behind. Maybe next time he will keep up.

Monday over in West Matty with a sw wind was no bueno. I couldn't do shit right or find fish. Looked great, lots of birds and bait buy just a trout here and there but small. Pull up to action up close and it's ladyfish. Caught a gafftop on a skitterwalk in knee deep water. Weird day. Happens. Had fun, was humbled

On 6/12/2023 at 2:22 PM, Brisketexan said:

Okay, so....it's been several years since I've flyfished any of our local rivers.  I used to hit the Llano a good bit -- routine was a very late bbq lunch somewhere, then get on the water around 4:00 (when it's still hot as hell), and fish till near dark, with the best action and best conditions being after 5:30 or so.

Used to really like the HWY 87 crossing over the Castell crossing -- anyone fished that lately?

Got my daughter in town for at least the summer.  She's having a bit of a rough go of it, and she needs to go fishing.  And so do I.  So, I'm thinking the Llano is our best bet.  But really, any pretty water where we can catch some sunfish and small bass would be plenty fine.  Just get in the water, be in the river, and be in the moment, focusing on our rusty casts and trying to coax a bite out of something hiding in a shadow near the bank.  Any better advice/thoughts for me?

I haven't fished the Llano in a year, but I will just say that I've had better luck from the Castell crossing all the way up to Telegraph than anywhere downriver of Castell.  I think the 2018 flood brought a lot of sand into the river downriver of Castell, and in my experience (i.e., last May), it's still not fishing great.  I did catch fish, but it was like 10 or 15 (mainly bream with a couple bass) fishing pretty hard and covering lots of ground instead of the much larger numbers of fish I used to catch in those areas.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/13/2023 at 7:49 PM, Born to Run said:

Fished Poc Sunday and Monday. Great time but slow. I caught 4 nice trout 21-26 Sunday , but the rest of my group caught a very little, and mostly garbage on bait. My son grinded with a topwater and had a few rat reds to show but that's it. Often one bite per wade. yikes

I could not find fish, worked and walked my ass and only found single trout here and there. The 26" was in maybe 12" of water, it burped up a slick and I smelled it and turned around, cast into the wind and stuck it on a jerk bait fished on top, saw it eat. That was cool, my son should have had that fish as I was fishing slightly deeper looking for school trout for our newbs but he fell behind. Maybe next time he will keep up.

Monday over in West Matty with a sw wind was no bueno. I couldn't do shit right or find fish. Looked great, lots of birds and bait buy just a trout here and there but small. Pull up to action up close and it's ladyfish. Caught a gafftop on a skitterwalk in knee deep water. Weird day. Happens. Had fun, was humbled

I'm a bit concerned about the fishery.....been fishing POC since 97, I put in a lot of effort wading, topwater, spoon, croaker, whatever the situation called for, and up to the freeze, every trip was successful. Can't say that has been the case since. @Mac8111 fair to say you're in the same boat too?

7 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

I'm a bit concerned about the fishery.....been fishing POC since 97, I put in a lot of effort wading, topwater, spoon, croaker, whatever the situation called for, and up to the freeze, every trip was successful. Can't say that has been the case since. @Mac8111 fair to say you're in the same boat too?

The water in the marsh lakes on the back of the island from Power Lake to Panther have looked like shit since the freeze. I think it's the dead and rotting mangroves. I've been fortunate to find redfish in the usual spots, but not in the usual quantities. Crabs have been almost non-existent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Trout has been shit since the freeze unless you are way down south, from what I’ve seen. Reds seem to have been largely unaffected.  Crowds are worse every. single. trip. 

I'm a bit concerned about the fishery.....been fishing POC since 97, I put in a lot of effort wading, topwater, spoon, croaker, whatever the situation called for, and up to the freeze, every trip was successful. Can't say that has been the case since. [mention=918]Mac8111[/mention] fair to say you're in the same boat too?
It's been declining for a long time IMO.

Its not the one thing, its the dismal tide. More pressure, more guides, and better technology. Used to be jack plates were a novelty and many flats were protected and inaccessible except for adventurous or hard core fuckers willing to walk or push a boat at times. I member, it was very fruitfal. You needed knowledge and experience. With Accurate Gps, drones, internet etc plus modern boats you can be an idiot and go just about anywhere easily and find whats left to catch with a bit of effort.

- one Caveat, Harvey fucked up most of my preferred spots
-second Caveat I tend to fish relatively close to Poc until I'm forced not too
~Third a lot of my crew relocated to Galvatraz so less intel.

But I'm fortunate enough to get several guide trips a year with top guides, and they get skunked more frequently than ever. See Jay Watkins etc advocating conservation, and he used to try and kill em all.

But it's inarguably harder. Large schools of fish are way less common. I'm smarter than I was 25 years ago and catch less. I do catch more 23-29 trout tho because I have more wading time
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 6/16/2023 at 12:52 AM, Born to Run said:

It's been declining for a long time IMO.

Its not the one thing, its the dismal tide. More pressure, more guides, and better technology. Used to be jack plates were a novelty and many flats were protected and inaccessible except for adventurous or hard core fuckers willing to walk or push a boat at times. I member, it was very fruitfal. You needed knowledge and experience. With Accurate Gps, drones, internet etc plus modern boats you can be an idiot and go just about anywhere easily and find whats left to catch with a bit of effort.

QFMFT.  We still base our of there often but fishing it proper?  Not in many years.  The fishing was declining before the freezes of the last several years.  To be expected when you can’t pack another boat into the fishing center or froggies lots Fri thru Sunday.   Thursdays are the new Friday’s, and still more people on water than ever was before.   It’s going to get worse before it gets better.   Need to start saving for Bluewater I guess.  

COVID really hurt the fish population because every Tom, Dick and Harry spent every weekend at the coast.

Then the freeze happened and I am sure wiped out all the small trout, trout that would be solid keepers now. Not to mention those fish will never get to spawn more fish. It is going to take a while to rebuild.

I have done my part by not fucking fishing since October.

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

So much silt on the pink granite rocks it was near impossible to walk - I busted my ass once.  Since it was late and I'm too old to risk busting my ass over and over, we headed back to the truck and drove home.

Key thing I learned the hard way about Wade fishing rivers is to avoid bedrock areas to the extent possible.  You’ll definitely end up busting your ass.  Sand and gravel are your friends.

I’m on my third ACL on right knee, so I walk around like gingerly grandpa mode on wet rocks.  There are some streams in southeast Oklahoma that I won’t even attempt to wade fish and resort to kayak only trips between access points.  The sandstone “rock garden” areas are just too slick.  Like there, a lightweight kayak is great for moving around pools on the Llano from the crossings you mention.  Not the fully tricked out fishing kayaks, just something lightweight to get you point to point that’s easy to throw in the back on the pickup and tie down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Key thing I learned the hard way about Wade fishing rivers is to avoid bedrock areas to the extent possible.  You’ll definitely end up busting your ass.  Sand and gravel are your friends.
I’m on my third ACL on right knee, so I walk around like gingerly grandpa mode on wet rocks.  There are some streams in southeast Oklahoma that I won’t even attempt to wade fish and resort to kayak only trips between access points.  The sandstone “rock garden” areas are just too slick.  Like there, a lightweight kayak is great for moving around pools on the Llano from the crossings you mention.  Not the fully tricked out fishing kayaks, just something lightweight to get you point to point that’s easy to throw in the back on the pickup and tie down.

I have some felt-soled wading boots…they’re a life-saver for the river.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/15/2023 at 4:40 PM, 4th and 5 said:

the shrimp are damn plentiful. my dad just bought a 70lb bag for $1 a lb, they had lot of extra shrimp this week

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I have some felt-soled wading boots…they’re a life-saver for the river.

Felt soles might be a lifesaver for you, but there's a great deal of ongoing debate regarding their impact on rivers. Already outlawed in a few states with many others considering doing the same.