Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the numbers and the takes, it really looks like things are getting interesting and weird. Spoilered due to length of post.

Hide contents

QB (1) - Done with a lifer, OKG glue guy that might want to be a coach.

TB (2) - Done with two national recruits and will be the best TB haul in the country.

WR (3-4) - They obviously like Dubose. If he's back to normal, he'd be a top 100 recruit. They won't move him that far at this point, but if he shows out, Texas crushed it by taking major value without a lot of competitive friction. Smart.

Livingstone is in. OKG or Jagger or both. I'm still personally baffled on this one because they clearly made him a priority.

Do they really take Hampton? If they do, that will be the 2nd WR in this class in which I am deeply skeptical of his ability to produce at a national title winning level. "Trust Sark" and such but that's not how I follow talent acquisition and roster management.

That would leave them living or dying by Wingo and it's not clear who leads on that one. They purposefully punted on Gekyle Baker, got played by Hudson (we all did) doing some dirty shit in cahoots with the Tech staff, waited too long on Bussey, and never showed much interest in the guy out of Silsbee or Jasper that liked Texas early and he'll wind up at ATM. 

If they fail to land Wingo, I don't see how WR is anything above a C+ grade. I can only get to that grade if they land Hampton and he stops being a complete flake. The portal is obviously going to play a big role at this spot.

TE (1) - Sounds like Washington is in. I'm not under the impression that they want a 2nd TE in this class, but I guess that wouldn't totally stun me if they found one they liked.

IOL (3) - Kibble is in. I believe that, all things equal, they decided to take the guy from Texas. Maybe they feel like Ivy is too much attention for a guy they like but don't love. Cruz is in. Calhoun is viewed an interior guy by the services, at least. Saina too. Would they take both? Seems unlikely, so do they slow play Saina until Calhoun makes his decision? I don't even know who else is on the board at this point besides Brooks, who I addressed. Seems like they've been fine watching a bunch of other guys go elsewhere in what is considered a down year in Texas for OL.

OT (2?) - I assume Uini is still a high value target. Is he really heading to Michigan? It's curious that they didn't have him visit this June. They're obviously all in on Baker, but so is everybody else. He'd be a very big, momentous announcement for Texas. Not sure when he's scheduled to announce. They never pushed for the Beaumont guy and didn't seem interested in fighting for Warren. They missed on Daniels. Maybe they see Saina or Calhoun at OT? Another position that could go really well or finish with a headscratcher.

DL (4-5) - I assume January announces soon and he's in the fold. Then you have a group of guys that seem like would be an excellent haul if Texas landed any 3 or 4 of them. Okoye, Robinson, Hills, McKinley, Lindsey, Blocton and Jackson. Obviously McKinley would be the crown jewel, but the staff and people in the business think that a number of these other guys are terribly underrated. 

Edge (1-3) - Until I actually understand the optimism for Simmons, I still don't like the LSU visit on 11/13. Land him and the group gets an A, even if it is a group of 1. They're clearly after Omeozulu. They like Nigel Smith at Edge if they can keep him from announcing before he visits in the fall. Ross was a fantasy. Warner seems like a guy that, if he announces a commitment to Texas, tells you that some other things haven't gone our way. I feel like they've been on some other guys but they're not coming to mind.

LB (1-2) - If House wants to come to Texas, do they take him? They punted on Weedon. They've lost Smith to either the allure of tinseltown or the dim lights of College Station. Do they think Lair can spin to LB? The third spot in this class along with WR and OT where I'm not sure what in the actual fuck is going on.

CB (3) - Wilson is in. I think Black announces for Texas. There's a lot of optimism around Gipson.

S (2) - I think Rubell announces for Texas. Myles Davis or Lair would be the other guy? 

Nickel/DB (0-2) - Do they take Bridges as a CB also? He's tall and lanky, maybe they see him as a utility guy. Maybe Lair is the NB/LB hybrid type. Mack's a CB and a total long shot, but they'd take him if he wanted to come. 

P (1) - Done.

I'm guessing it is a 24-28 player class and the only reason they finish at 24 or lower is because the guys they wanted didn't come and they didn't want to risk a bad take due to portal optionality. If they finish at 27 or more, they had to have gotten into a feeding frenzy with a bunch of guys they wanted riding along with a great season. 

I'll say this, they have passed on a lot of highly ranked guys that had legitimate interest in Texas in order to take or pursue other guys they liked better. Let's hope they're getting the evaluations right, because they're the ones driving the direction in state right now.

Gerry has said Calhoun is a tackle, fwiw. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the numbers and the takes, it really looks like things are getting interesting and weird. Spoilered due to length of post.

Reveal hidden contents

TB (2) - Done with two national recruits and will be the best TB haul in the country.

WR (3-4) - They obviously like Dubose. If he's back to normal, he'd be a top 100 recruit. They won't move him that far at this point, but if he shows out, Texas crushed it by taking major value without a lot of competitive friction. Smart.

Livingstone is in. OKG or Jagger or both. I'm still personally baffled on this one because they clearly made him a priority.

Do they really take Hampton? If they do, that will be the 2nd WR in this class in which I am deeply skeptical of his ability to produce at a national title winning level. "Trust Sark" and such but that's not how I follow talent acquisition and roster management.

That would leave them living or dying by Wingo and it's not clear who leads on that one. They purposefully punted on Gekyle Baker, got played by Hudson (we all did) doing some dirty shit in cahoots with the Tech staff, waited too long on Bussey, and never showed much interest in the guy out of Silsbee or Jasper that liked Texas early and he'll wind up at ATM. 

If they fail to land Wingo, I don't see how WR is anything above a C+ grade. I can only get to that grade if they land Hampton and he stops being a complete flake. The portal is obviously going to play a big role at this spot.

TE (1) - Sounds like Washington is in. I'm not under the impression that they want a 2nd TE in this class, but I guess that wouldn't totally stun me if they found one they liked.

IOL (3) - Kibble is in. I believe that, all things equal, they decided to take the guy from Texas. Maybe they feel like Ivy is too much attention for a guy they like but don't love. Cruz is in. Calhoun is viewed an interior guy by the services, at least. Saina too. Would they take both? Seems unlikely, so do they slow play Saina until Calhoun makes his decision? I don't even know who else is on the board at this point besides Brooks, who I addressed. Seems like they've been fine watching a bunch of other guys go elsewhere in what is considered a down year in Texas for OL.

OT (2?) - I assume Uini is still a high value target. Is he really heading to Michigan? It's curious that they didn't have him visit this June. They're obviously all in on Baker, but so is everybody else. He'd be a very big, momentous announcement for Texas. Not sure when he's scheduled to announce. They never pushed for the Beaumont guy and didn't seem interested in fighting for Warren. They missed on Daniels. Maybe they see Saina or Calhoun at OT? Another position that could go really well or finish with a headscratcher.

DL (4-5) - I assume January announces soon and he's in the fold. Then you have a group of guys that seem like would be an excellent haul if Texas landed any 3 or 4 of them. Okoye, Robinson, Hills, McKinley, Lindsey, Blocton and Jackson. Obviously McKinley would be the crown jewel, but the staff and people in the business think that a number of these other guys are terribly underrated. 

Edge (1-3) - Until I actually understand the optimism for Simmons, I still don't like the LSU visit on 11/13. Land him and the group gets an A, even if it is a group of 1. They're clearly after Omeozulu. They like Nigel Smith at Edge if they can keep him from announcing before he visits in the fall. Ross was a fantasy. Warner seems like a guy that, if he announces a commitment to Texas, tells you that some other things haven't gone our way. I feel like they've been on some other guys but they're not coming to mind.

LB (1-2) - If House wants to come to Texas, do they take him? They punted on Weedon. They've lost Smith to either the allure of tinseltown or the dim lights of College Station. Do they think Lair can spin to LB? The third spot in this class along with WR and OT where I'm not sure what in the actual fuck is going on.

CB (3) - Wilson is in. I think Black announces for Texas. There's a lot of optimism around Gipson.

S (2) - I think Rubell announces for Texas. Myles Davis or Lair would be the other guy? 

Nickel/DB (0-2) - Do they take Bridges as a CB also? He's tall and lanky, maybe they see him as a utility guy. Maybe Lair is the NB/LB hybrid type. Mack's a CB and a total long shot, but they'd take him if he wanted to come. 

P (1) - Done.

I'm guessing it is a 24-28 player class and the only reason they finish at 24 or lower is because the guys they wanted didn't come and they didn't want to risk a bad take due to portal optionality. If they finish at 27 or more, they had to have gotten into a feeding frenzy with a bunch of guys they wanted riding along with a great season. 

I'll say this, they have passed on a lot of highly ranked guys that had legitimate interest in Texas in order to take or pursue other guys they liked better. Let's hope they're getting the evaluations right, because they're the ones driving the direction in state right now.

Re: OL recruiting - seems like we are not really communicating with Uini and didn't even bring him in for an OV. Calhoun is seen as a LT take. I think they'll take Saina, Kibble and Books as interior guys. Calhoun and Baker as tackles (if Baker wants in). 

I wouldn't be surprised if we see another Sr riser at TE like Pimpton last year.  Seems like they should be able to find a guy like that somewhere this fall.

I still think they fucked that up but whatever.  

Unless they get a portal guy I'm not very confident about what that room looks like going into 24.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hide contents

P (1) - Done.

My guess on LB is the staff is thinking this is spot goes to an elite recruit or it will be used on the DL. If that is correct, the staff loves the LB haul from last year. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

My guess on LB is the staff is thinking this is spot goes to an elite recruit or it will be used on the DL. If that is correct, the staff loves the LB haul from last year. 

Gerry said today that he would not be surprised to see Texas punt on LBs this cycle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Probably try to get one from portal?

Depends, they have Hill, Lefau, Gullette, Burrell, and the two DBs that project to LB in college. So, you have 6 freshmen at the position, so I doubt they will be looking at the portal unless 1 or 2 of those kids portals after their freshmen season.

8 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see another Sr riser at TE like Pimpton last year.  Seems like they should be able to find a guy like that somewhere this fall.

I still think they fucked that up but whatever.  

Unless they get a portal guy I'm not very confident about what that room looks like going into 24.

Feel like we have to assume TE is going to take a huge step down after this year, at least in terms of receiving production. Ja’Tavion is just an incredibly rare prospect. Going forward I’d expect a little better than Cade Brewer’s 2021 stats with more emphasis on the WRs until we can get another elite athlete at the position. JT going first round would hopefully make it easier for us to recruit those types.

13 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Can you expand on what Hudson did? This is sounding very similar to another “pump fake” done in a current war. Just make us think he is interested, recruit “hard”, but it was a ruse the whole time? Igotyougoodfocker.gif

I don't have any details. Recruits get access to all kinds of data and best practices when they visit schools. They also get a feel for the class overall. Relaying that shit and sending pics and stuff to other staffs isn't exactly considered good behavior. A guy getting into text groups and then openly trying to distract or mislead other guys in the group just to poison the well happens too. I don't know what happened, but it's clear something did. I don't think Texas would take his commitment seriously if he offered it at this point.

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, he has the same build and looks as a young Alan Jackson. And I can imagine that his speed is as legit as Alan Jackson’s singing. Based on that, he has a great future ahead.

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Depends, they have Hill, Lefau, Gullette, Burrell, and the two DBs that project to LB in college. So, you have 6 freshmen at the position, so I doubt they will be looking at the portal unless 1 or 2 of those kids portals after their freshmen season.

It was always going to be an uphill battle to get elite guys in after that class last cycle. Hill, Lefau, Burrell, and Mo Blackwell and/or Jelani McDonald is a pretty salty core that is going to get a bunch of playing time over the next few seasons. Gullette I always saw as more of an edge guy, but if he goes to play Will then there is another guy to contend with. All of these guys are high end to elite athletes at the position, so it wouldnt surprise me to see us take none this cycle. Especially since Gullette, McDonald, and possibly even Burrell could redshirt.  

Edited by Vertigo

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Dude, he has the same build and looks as a young Alan Jackson. And I can imagine that his speed is as legit as Alan Jackson’s singing. Based on that, he has a great future ahead.

@closetojumping would you settle for a burger and a grape snow cone if Livingstone becomes a key contributor? 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I think concerns about TE are a little overblown. Yes it will suck to lose JT and not have someone of his caliber, but an elite TE isn't really necessary to have a great offense. Let's not forget that Sark's 2020 bama offense was incredible with Miller Forristall and Jahleel Billingsley as his top two options. 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hide contents

P (1) - Done.

one comment on Hampton is that he has made it clear he is an ATH not exclusively a WR on twitter, so maybe he fits in that STAR/CB/S position somewhere (not sure where) but that makes the WR situation more complicated potentially - or they are just going to roll with heavy portal usage, which is fine. with the system in place on offense they should pretty much always be in the game for top portal WR anyway.

uncommitted WR reporting Texas offers: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2024-Football/Offers/

• Mike Matthews from Georgia (#10 overall)
  • Cameron Coleman from Alabama (#11 overall)
  • Ryan Wingo (#24 overall)
  • Gatlin Bair from Idaho (#44 overall)
  • Drelon Miller (#65 overall, A&M bound?)
  • Ryan Pellum from California (#69 overall)
  • Jeremiah McClellan from Missouri (#143 overall)
  • Jelani Watkins from Klein Forest (#161 overall)
  • Zion Ragina from Georgia (#190 overall)
  • Bredell Richardson from Tampa FL (#283 overall)
  • Parker Livingston who is #294 overall (yeah)

guys they haven't offered from TX are the #24 in Texas, #119 overall WR Ashton Bethel-Roman from Missouri City, Keonde Henry #41 in Texas, #224 overall from Lake Dallas (was committed to BC for like 9 days before decommitting 6/22), Ivan Carreon #43 in Texas/#228 overall from Odessa who is committed to Tech. Not going further down the list since at this point we are guys ranked lower than Parker Livingston.

ATH wise, Bussey is late in the process but wonder if they project him at WR? other TX ATH guys they have are offered Derrick McFall who is #64 in Texas/#383 overall from Tyler High, and then 2 guys committed to Tech (J'Koby williams) and USC (Bryan Jackson)

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Have you considered a job as a recruiting expert for Orangebloods? You've clearly got the chops. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Chef Bezos said:

Have you considered a job as a recruiting expert for Orangebloods? You've clearly got the chops. 

It is actually pretty funny listening to Suchomel's takes vs Gerry. He is so off on so many guys either from what is really going on, or just from an eval perspective. Not sure how that guy has been in the game for 20 years. 

10 minutes ago, Maker Bayfield said:

I wonder if Livingstone can put on 30lbs and be your developmental #2 TE take for the class? 

I think Texas will need to hit the portal next year at TE. That doesnt really effect this recruiting cycle. The issue is not one that fans focus on. There is a lack of size at the position. More to the point, there is a lack of blocking. Next year probably looks like Helm, Davis, Shannon, and Randle. Helm will be fine with his hand in the dirt. Shannon should be fine, not sure he will be there by next year. Davis is never going to be the guy that secures the edge for you. Randle is a question mark there also. Texas needs more true TEs, not more Flex TEs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The question and interesting Collin Simmons comments from Justin Wells at this time stamp.

Couple of interesting things from this imo.

January is only 16 and is already 6'5 325.  This is the kind of size we need.

According to Wells, no one had a better time on their visit than Simmons.

Zina and January aren't going to over think this.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Can you expand on what Hudson did? This is sounding very similar to another “pump fake” done in a current war. Just make us think he is interested, recruit “hard”, but it was a ruse the whole time? Igotyougoodfocker.gif

@FreeHorn seems to know a bit more

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/18399-texas-recruiting-notes-2024/?do=findComment&comment=5329037

Edited by Park Gothic
Embed is screwed up, just posting link

6 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

@FreeHorn seems to know a bit more

1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

2.png
1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

2.png

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/topic/18399-texas-recruiting-notes-2024/?do=findComment&comment=5329037

So… fuck that guy. 

That kind of stuff happens from time to time. The thing that gives me comfort is that the vast majority of guys who pull stuff like that rarely work out. Not saying Hudson will be a bust, but I have never gotten the sense that he is quite on the level of a Johntay Cook or an Evan Stewart in terms of ability to take over a game. 

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

That kind of stuff happens from time to time. The thing that gives me comfort is that the vast majority of guys who pull stuff like that rarely work out. Not saying Hudson will be a bust, but I have never gotten the sense that he is quite on the level of a Johntay Cook or an Evan Stewart in terms of ability to take over a game. 

Gerry has said on several occasions that the best high school receiver in Texas is in the 2025 class (Dakorien Moore). Between the WR talent we pulled in 2023, the WR talent that can be had from the portal, and what's coming up in 2025, I won't sweat us losing Hudson. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

2 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Gerry has said on several occasions that the best high school receiver in Texas is in the 2025 class (Dakorien Moore). Between the WR talent we pulled in 2023, the WR talent that can be had from the portal, and what's coming up in 2025, I won't sweat us losing Hudson. 

As long as people avoid the insecure aggie nonsense of acting like we wouldn't even want Texas to take Hudson, I don't disagree with either take. If he called them on signing day looking to flip, I'd hope they'd take the guy, but he's not a make or break guy in this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Pretty sure he even said Moore is the best WR in the state regardless of class, so take that FWIW

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Bingo. 

it happens all the time. I wrote a long ass synopsis of what was going on but I deleted it and I’ll keep it simple. They just didn’t expect some of the actions from this kids based on his family, who trains him and the relationship they thought they had. Also doesn’t make sense for Tech to be in on it because no amount of information or disinformation they get really helps them long term. Texas and Tech won’t play each other after this year and won’t become recruiting rivals on a constant enough basis for extra bullshit. They also aren’t a threat to really flip a bunch of Texas kids. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Maguire seems to have an outsized obsession with beating us.

Someone should tell him he's going to need to get a promotion soon if he wants to keep playing us.

Maguire strikes me as Chris Beard. He has us in his crosshairs because it benefits him and ingratiates him to his fanbase. But he's also smart enough to take our head coaching job at the drop of a hat if it were ever offered.

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Speaking of WRs, Gerry also mentioned today that Moore is killing it at Texas, has a very professional approach.

UTwuz is beside himself.

What has been responses to people calling him out so far? lol

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If Maguire is using it as a way to build momentum and get people talking about tech, then tip of the hat. But if I were Sark, I would make sure that I left Tech in a smoking crater in Austin to send a message. Like many of the other coaches in this conference, Maguire seems to have an outsized obsession with beating us. I hope we kick him right in the dick on national television. 

skull fuck they ass

1 minute ago, Ricky Butler said:

Someone should tell him he's going to need to get a promotion soon if he wants to keep playing us.

Maguire strikes me as Chris Beard. He has us in his crosshairs because it benefits him and ingratiates him to his fanbase. But he's also smart enough to take our head coaching job at the drop of a hat if it were ever offered.

image.jpeg.eec798cdfaf4772f558b605637f93fa2.jpegimage.jpeg.af26da7badf8841333d560aa02b64388.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

specifically LT....where they see Baker as a RT

I think we get a bit too specific on these things. Connor Williams is an IOL in the NFL. He was a pretty bad ass LT in college. Most the analyst are generally talking about  a players ideal position/NFL position. There are very few legit NFL LTs in college football. 

Edited by Codaxx

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls