Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Kibble to Texas!!

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I thought he was 6’2”.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Standish on 247 said Kibble was 6-2.5 at the Under Armour event earlier this yalear.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He projects to guard. Has 80+ inch wingspan. 

IMG_3952.thumb.jpeg.7c73668b6ea398d355a0065d653e5326.jpeg

IMG_3953.thumb.jpeg.f66aa8d63fd7c0938280504a12059bce.jpeg

An 80”+ wingspan is plenty of lennth[sic] to play IOL. 

Specially if he has strennth[sic] to go with that lennth[sic].

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

“The visit was outstanding, every minute of it,” Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy receiver Parker Livingstone said. He will announce a pledge on July 1 and Texas is trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. “I got to spend time with Arch (Manning), Colton (Vasek) and Michael (Taaffe).

Hide contents

Wow, I can't think of a single reason why Parker Livingstone would be paired up with a QB, Edge, and a Safety. What could the reason possibly be?

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Wow, I can't think of a single reason why Parker Livingstone would be paired up with a QB, Edge, and a Safety. What could the reason possibly be?

”Parker Livingston Can’t Lose”

That has a nice ring to it for people of a certain age. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

It makes perfect sense for Manning to build up a relationship with a possible receiver.

Livingstone requested Vacek and Taafe because he is considering a transfer to Westlake.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

It makes perfect sense for Manning to build up a relationship with a possible receiver.

Livingstone requested Vacek and Taafe because he is considering a transfer to Westlake.

Taafe must be a complete and total pimp.  We let him host Arch when he was was still a walk on.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

They refer to themselves as “The Country Club”. Double popped polos or gtfo

(Some very positive stuff on his Texas visit as well.  But any place that "teats" one's parents has to be tough to beat 🤣  🤣  🤣 .)

Khmori House breaks down Washington visit, closing in on decision

Greg Biggins

Spoiler

Washington made a move with Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco linebacker Khmori House following his weekend official visit.
Greg Biggins

Washington made a move with Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco linebacker Khmori House following his weekend official visit.

We always thought the Huskies were the team to beat heading in to June. He was blown away on his official visit to Texas last weekend however and told us heading in to his trip to UW this weekend, the Longhorns were out in front.

“I loved it at Texas for a lot of different reasons,” House said. “It’s a challenge for sure, big time program going to the SEC and reminds me a lot of when I first came to Bosco.

‌“I don’t know that many people there at Texas and the competition is going to be very challenging but I think that’s how you grow as a player. I didn’t start at Bosco until my junior year so I know nothing is ever promised and I never run from competition.”

House said Washington definitely gave him a lot to think about.

“I had a great trip to Washington, my whole family loved it too,” House said. “They teated my parents and my little sister really well and I loved spending so much time with the coaching staff.

“I have a great relationship with coach Inge and he was with us the whole visit. I was with the whole defensive staff and they really made me feel like I was a high priority for them.”

Several players committed to the Huskies during the visit including three from the SoCal area.

“There was a lot of positive energy going on,” House said. “Everyone loved it there and I can see why they all committed. UW is a great school with a great program but for me, I told myself ahead of time, I wasn’t going to commit on any visits and make an emotional decision.

“Right now, I’m in the phase of my recruitment where I need to sit down and really weigh out the pros and cons of each school. I’m going to write down all the things that are important to me, things like comfort level, coaching, NFL, academics, player-coach relationships, things like that and then I should be ready to decide next week hopefully.”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

(Some very positive stuff on his Texas visit as well.  But any place that "teats" one's parents has to be tough to beat 🤣  🤣  🤣 .)

Greg Biggins

Hide contents

Greg Biggins

We always thought the Huskies were the team to beat heading in to June. He was blown away on his official visit to Texas last weekend however and told us heading in to his trip to UW this weekend, the Longhorns were out in front.

“I loved it at Texas for a lot of different reasons,” House said. “It’s a challenge for sure, big time program going to the SEC and reminds me a lot of when I first came to Bosco.

‌“I don’t know that many people there at Texas and the competition is going to be very challenging but I think that’s how you grow as a player. I didn’t start at Bosco until my junior year so I know nothing is ever promised and I never run from competition.”

“I had a great trip to Washington, my whole family loved it too,” House said. “They teated my parents and my little sister really well and I loved spending so much time with the coaching staff.

“I have a great relationship with coach Inge and he was with us the whole visit. I was with the whole defensive staff and they really made me feel like I was a high priority for them.”

Several players committed to the Huskies during the visit including three from the SoCal area.

“There was a lot of positive energy going on,” House said. “Everyone loved it there and I can see why they all committed. UW is a great school with a great program but for me, I told myself ahead of time, I wasn’t going to commit on any visits and make an emotional decision.

“Right now, I’m in the phase of my recruitment where I need to sit down and really weigh out the pros and cons of each school. I’m going to write down all the things that are important to me, things like comfort level, coaching, NFL, academics, player-coach relationships, things like that and then I should be ready to decide next week hopefully.”

Maybe we big teated him on his visit.  Parents got hind.  

14 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Greg Biggins

Hide contents

Greg Biggins

IMG_1644.thumb.png.586d23e92813819709a2207dccbc2dd0.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anyone want to speculate on what Gerry wanted to say about why LSU might be slipping for Simmons?  Bobby told him to leave it alone, because he has relationships and reputation to think about, but we shouldn't give a fuck.

This was on a livestream last night for reference.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Yesh said:

Anyone want to speculate on what Gerry wanted to say about why LSU might be slipping for Simmons?  Bobby told him to leave it alone, because he has relationships and reputation to think about, but we shouldn't give a fuck.

This was on a livestream last night for reference.

yeah.. he really left us hanging.. hopefully Gerry does another live stream without Bobby so the chat can ask him again.  Maybe @closetojumping knows what Gerry wanted to say??

For those that follow NIL and recruiting, is LSU maybe prioritizing NIL allocation more in baseball compared to other sports? 

They aren't doing horrible in basketball/football recruiting or the portal but they definitely seem to be lagging behind what they're doing in baseball with NIL. At least compared to other schools in each sport. 

Joe Cook: Tashard Choice building a resume as one of the best recruiters in the country

When it comes to running back recruiting at Texas, Longhorns running backs coach Tashard Choice rarely has to pivot to secondary options. During his just over a year spent coaching and recruiting in Austin, Choice has landed commitments from four high school prospects. Two of those commitments, CJ Baxter and Jerrick Gibson, were ranked as the No. 1 and the No. 2 running backs in their respective classes in the On3 Industry Ranking. Baxter has enrolled early, while Gibson still has one more season at IMG Academy that could elevate his standing in the On3 Industry Ranking.

It’s not just the high profile commitments that have made Choice a top recruiter, but also the wins over prominent programs. With Baxter and Gibson, schools from around the country and the Southeastern Conference wanted their services. Baxter, a one-time Florida State commit, chose Texas over the Seminoles and other Florida programs. Gibson, a Gainesville, Fla. native, selected Texas over hometown Florida and others in the region.

Texas has had to beat other nationally known programs for all its running back commits, not just Baxter and Gibson. For Tre Wisner, the Longhorns topped rival Oklahoma for the DeSoto (Texas) standout. For Christian Clark, who jumped into the class a short bit before Gipson, the Longhorns topped finalists Oregon, Alabama, Florida State, and Georgia. The Ducks offered the stiffest competition for the Arizona four-star, but Texas still prevailed thanks to Choice. There will be more difficult recruiting battles for running backs to come in the SEC, but Choice’s experience in the Southeastern part of the country will help him greatly. In fact, there’s no doubt it already has.

2023 CJ Baxter Jr.

• Hometown: Orlando, Fla.
  • High School: Edgewater
  • On3 Industry Ranking: No. 30 overall (five-star)
  • Chose Texas over: Texas A&M, Florida, Miami, Alabama, Florida State

2023 Tre Wisner

• Hometown: DeSoto, Texas
  • High School: DeSoto
  • On3 Industry Ranking: No. 438 overall (three-star)
  • Chose Texas over: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon, USC, Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Florida State.

2024 Christian Clark

• Hometown: Phoenix, Ariz.
  • High School: Mountain Pointe
  • On3 Industry Ranking: No. 268 overall (four-star)
  • Chose Texas over: Oregon, Alabama, Florida State, Georgia

2024 Jerrick Gibson

• Hometown: Gainesville, Fla.
  • High School: IMG Academy
  • On3 Industry Ranking: No. 48 overall (four-star)
  • Chose Texas over: Georgia, Miami, Tennessee, Florida

2025 offers

• Harlem Berry, Metairie (La.) St. Martin’s Episcopal
  • Jordon Davison, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
  • Alvin Henderson, Elba (Ala.)
  • Anthony Rogers, Pike Road (Ala.) IMG Academy – Alabama commit
  • Taevion Swint, Kissimmee (Fla.) Osceola – UCF commit
  • James Simon, Shreveport (La.) Calvary Baptist
  • Tory Blaylock, Humble (Texas) Atascocita
  • Deondrae Riden, DeSoto (Texas)
  • Riley Wormley, Southlake (Texas) Carroll
  • Kane Bowen, Sherman (Texas)

• Hook 'Em 7

@closetojumping without divulging shit we don't need to know about, what is the general assessment of how things went this weekend? On Saturday morning we wake up to tweets from the $9.95ers saying this could be the biggest day in the history of recruiting for Texas, and from that point on the only major news was a Nate Kibble commitment. Which is great. But the general tenor of the $9.95ers beginning Friday morning was that this was going to be an incredible weekend and I think pretty much everyone that follows this shit was expecting more fireworks. Does this weekend set the stage for more exciting shit? 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Looks like Gibson is still going to Miami this weekend. Maybe it's a good thing to keep in him Collins ear for another weekend 

That weekend has already happened, plus this past weekend was the last weekend for OV's until the season.

• Hook 'Em 2

Stampede (regurgitated info for anyone who's been following the thread)

Spoiler

The most consequential part of the recruiting calendar is upon us. The Texas Longhorns staff just hosted four five-stars and over a dozen four-star prospects on official visits and earned two public commitments from 247Sports composite four-stars Jerrick Gibson and Nate Kibble. 

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take a look at the recruitments of a handful of official visitors from this past weekend.

INTEL ON TEXAS VISITORS
Terry Bussey, ATH, Timpson

I posted an in-depth interview with Bussey on Sunday where he confirmed my reporting that he is sticking to his late fall commitment timeline with a late October or early November date. That timeline benefits Texas considering I've consistently reported that the Longhorns have been battling back in this recruitment after taking too long to extend an offer to the No. 15 player in the country. 

Bussey raved about the official visit to Texas and mentioned that the Longhorns along with a number of other programs are looking to get him on campus for unofficial visits at the end of July. The arrow is trending up for Texas after the official visit, but we'll see if it's enough to make up significant ground moving forward.

(Photo: Texas Athletics)
Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville

The Horns247 staff started hearing positive news on Simmons almost immediately after the Duncanville five-star stepped on campus for his official. One source close to Simmons mentioned to us on Sunday that they felt the five-star would stick to his December timeline, but if a decision was made before then, Texas would be the choice over LSU and Miami. Horns247 recruiting analyst Jordan Scruggs entered a crystal ball for Simmons this weekend.

Kobe Black, CB, Waco Connally

We mentioned in the leadup to this visit that former teammates Jelani McDonald and Tre Wisner have been relentlessly recruiting Black to Texas, and even without his teammates recruiting him we liked where Texas stood. That holds after this weekend and we feel confident in our consistent reporting that Texas is operating from pole position. Horns247 recruiting analyst Jordan Scruggs entered a crystal ball for Black this weekend.

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (LA) Acadiana

We're still trying to get a clear picture on McKinley's recruitment but the overall sentiment from one source on the Texas side was that they felt like McKinley's family really enjoyed the visit. 

Selman Bridges, CB, Lake Belton

Heading into the official visit Horns247 recruiting analyst Jordan Scruggs mentioned that Arkansas made a significant push on their official visit prior to the past weekend. Jordan should get more intel from Bridges later Monday considering the Top-50 prospect arrived late on campus due to the state 7on7 tournament and was one of the final prospects on campus on Sunday.

Jerrick Gibson, RB, IMG Academy

Last week I wrote that "My money will always be on Tashard Choice in any recruiting battle for a prospect he covets." I stand by that statement.

(Photo: Hank South, 247Sports)
Daniel Calhoun, OT, Roswell (GA) Walton

For a prospect that has been characterized as someone susceptible to a "post-visit high", we didn't get those vibes from Calhoun after his trip to Austin this weekend. That's not to say he didn't enjoy his time in Austin, and it's clear he deeply respects Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian, but we feel Texas trails Alabama, Georgia, and possibly Tennessee as we approach decision time.

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (LA) John Ehret

We feel like Texas is trending up in this recruitment and the Longhorns might even be the leader behind the scenes at the moment. LSU will be extremely tough to overcome here, but Texas defensive passing game coordinator Terry Joseph has the hot hand on the recruiting trail.

Jordon Johnson-Rubell, S, IMG Academy

We felt great about the Longhorns' chances with the No. 175 overall player of the country heading into this weekend and expectations were met by the Texas staff. Teammates Jerrick Gibson and Jayden Jackson, plus close friend Corian Gipson all enjoying their experiences on campus just made it that much better. Horns247 recruiting analyst Jordan Scruggs entered a crystal ball for JJR this weekend.

Corian Gipson, CB, Lancaster

The Lancaster product enjoyed his birthday on the Texas campus and a source told Horns247 that it was a great visit for the Longhorns. We don't expect a commitment before July for Gipson as the four-star and his family process a whirlwind cross-country official visit schedule from the past few weeks.

QUICK HITTERS

(Photo: Parker Thune, 247Sports)
Zina Umeozulu, EDGE, Allen

Oklahoma made an extremely strong push on their official visit and a few sources we spoke to felt like the Sooners led for the four-star EDGE. While we're still gathering intel here, the early returns are extremely positive for the Longhorns and Umeozulu's family remains a positive data point in this recruitment. 

Parker Livingstone, WR, Lucas Lovejoy

We continue to hear only positives regarding Livingstone and Texas. The 6-foot-3, 185-pounder has a scheduled commitment date for July 1st and our picks are staying on the Longhorns heading into this weekend’s OV. Special credit should be given to Trey Owens for his involvement in this recruitment.

Daniel Cruz, IOL, Richland

Oklahoma made a push for Cruz before his Texas OV, but we're sticking with our predictions for the center at the next level ending up in Austin. When we asked a neutral source in DFW which coach had the best relationship with Cruz, they didn't hesitate before mentioning Kyle Flood.

Terrance Hibbler, DL, Lexington (MS) Holmes County MISS STATE COMMIT

Nearly every source I spoke to about Hibbler felt like he was a near lock to stick to his Mississippi State verbal pledge. 

Jayden Jackson, DL, IMG Academy

In the OV preview, I mentioned that Jackson was viewed as a legitimate option to wind up in the Texas class. The Longhorns crushed this official visit and Jackson raved about the experience in his interview with Hank South yesterday.

TJ Lindsey, DL, IMG Academy

Sources were a bit split on Lindsey after his official visit to Texas. The source I spoke with remained pretty confident that Texas A&M would be the eventual destination, but others at the site felt like that Texas and Auburn might be the two to watch moving forward. At the very least Texas gave the Arkansas native that recently transferred to IMG Academy something to think about as he head toward his decision. Here is Hank South's article from yesterday about Lindsey's experience at Texas.

(Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Alex January, DL, Duncanville

The Longhorn legacy has been a safe pick to end up in the 2024 class for a while and the returns from this weekend back up those claims. Bo Davis has done a tremendous job in this recruitment.

Trey Owens, QB, Cy-Fair TEXAS COMMIT

While Owens' recruitment and commitment status weren't in question, the signal-caller was still blown away by the official visit experience this weekend. Owens selflessly spent time on the trip recruiting other priorities on both sides of the ball and we heard positives from a number of recruits about their relationship with Owens following the OV.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My view on the Saturday morning hype is that a bunch of dominos were falling over. They've fallen over. There will be a steady stream of commitments from here, probably almost all staged for maximum hype and perception. 

The Mack Brown era of having 15+ announcements within 48 hours of one another is long gone. As someone very involved with marketing in their career, my view is that this is the way. We live in an era in which the player gets put completely on the pedestal and is expected to have their big moment if they're close to being nationally recruited. No one has to like that, but folks should learn to lean into it.

The IT guys basically said this yesterday that its laid out to happen over the next 2-3 weeks to keep the teams name in the news and hype built for the late July visit window.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Athletic recruiting roundup post on Texas: Texas a top Choice for elite RBs

Spoiler

Texas a top Choice for elite RBs

Texas running back coach Tashard Choice is making a strong case to be the top recruiter at the position in the country.

In last year’s cycle, Choice landed the No. 1 running back in the country in CJ Baxter out of Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater. Saturday, Texas landed a pledge from the No. 2 running back in the Class of 2024 in IMG Academy’s Jerrick Gibson, who is originally from Gainesville, Fla.

Don’t be surprised if Choice and Texas also end up with the No. 1 running back in the class of 2025.

Jordon Davison, a five-star prospect from Mater Dei in Southern California, said he could see himself playing in Austin because of his relationship with Choice. Davison said he’s been to Texas and Georgia four times already, including this spring between stops at Oregon, Ohio State and Alabama.

“You can really see that they’re turning around the program,” Davison said of Texas. “It’s moving in the right direction, and the development in the RB room, what they’re building over there is going to change the program.

“Choice is a guy that brings a lot of energy every day and every time you see him. But at the same time, he’s gonna push you and he ain’t gonna be like your best friend. Once you get on the field, he’s gonna push you to be the best you. He develops his backs and the drills he does translates to the game.”

In the end, Davison said he wants to play for a program that develops running backs, has a stable coaching staff and has an opportunity to win a national title.

“I’m gonna just go (through the process) until I get the feeling,” he said. “God will let me know when it’s time.”

Ohio State is pushing him to return to Columbus in July. He said the two Los Angeles schools “have a fair chance” to get him. UCLA running backs coach DeShaun Foster gave him his first offer while USC has long had a pipeline from Mater Dei.

Davison is also very interested in the Crimson Tide, who came to watch him this spring but haven’t really pushed the gas yet on his recruitment. Alabama already has a running back commitment in the 2025 cycle in four-star Anthony Rogers, who plays at IMG Academy but is originally from Montgomery, Ala. Davison said he’s fine with being one of two backs who sign with the Tide and has already talked with Rogers about it.

“Lots of great players, good environment,” Davison said of Bama. “It’s kind of like the school I’m at now. Talking to coach Nick Saban, you can’t learn from anybody better than him.”

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

IT is hinting something big, and Josh Pate had a little nugget last night. Saying he's keeping his eyes on Simmons.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Good bye productive work day.

Here is a small portion of the Texas segment you're talking about regarding Simmons. I watched earlier and it had my attention. I time stamped to the start of the Texas talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls