Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

So I'm not worried about the numbers, but it definitely feels like we're in on a lot of dudes on OL. Curious what the priority list is.

We know Cruz is a priority, but it seems like it’s first come first serve with some of these other interior guys. 

Star-studded recruiting weekend at Texas has recruits buzzing about the experience

Steve Wiltfong

(Second time I've see this phrasing.  We should co-opt it for a title or something.)

Star. Studded. Weekend.

Spoiler

Star-studded recruiting weekend at Texas has recruits buzzing about the experience

Steve Wiltfong

It was an exciting weekend on the recruiting trail for Steve Sarkisian and his staff, as they landed a commitment from coveted running back Jerrick Gibson out of IMG Academy, and are trending for several more prospects who made their way to Austin.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Gibson is commit No. 6 for the Longhorns in the 2024 cycle as things start to pickup around a program that has finished in the top five of the 247Sports Recruiting Rankings the last two cycles. Gibson chose to play for Texas over his other finalists in Georgia, Miami and Tennessee, announcing his plans on Saturday afternoon.

“It was excellent,” Gibson’s father Victor Jenkins said of the entire experience on Sunday.

The returns coming out of the weekend from others were just as strong.

“The visit was outstanding, every minute of it,” Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy receiver Parker Livingstone said. He will announce a pledge on July 1 and Texas is trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. “I got to spend time with Arch (Manning), Colton (Vasek) and Michael (Taaffe). It was just a great time. What continues to stand out to me is the coaching staff and the culture that Texas has built and they’re headed in the right direction to be one of the dominant teams in the SEC!”

Several five-stars made the trip. Those that spent time around Duncanville (Texas) High edge rusher Colin Simmons like the way this recruitment is trending for the Longhorns as they battle Alabama, Miami, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M and Oregon among others. He is expected back in Baton Rouge in July. The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Texas for Waco (Texas) Connally Kobe Black who is also looking at Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State. Timpson (Texas) High standout and 247Sports’s No. 1 ranked athlete Terry Bussey was buzzing about his experience.

“My weekend in Austin was amazing,” Bussey said. “Had a great time and experience. “The relationships that are being built is what stands out to me.”

Several more Top247 recruits soaked in the atmosphere.

”Really liked the coaches and players,” Marietta (Ga.) Walton offensive tackle Daniel Calhoun said. He’s aiming for a July decision with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee the competition. “Really like the development from Coach Flood, he’s developed some really good offensive linemen. The players and coaches there are really cool. I get along with the coaches and players.”

“I had a great time for sure,” Allen (Texas) High Top247 edge Zina Umeozulu said. He will take more officials during the season. “Something I really like about Texas has got to be the culture that Sark is building and has. I can for sure see myself a part of this team. I like the staff and players and I feel like the coaches can really pour into me and develop me.”

IMG Academy teammates in Top247 defensive back Jordon Johnson-Rubell and defensive lineman Jayden Jackson are two more Texas is well positioned for. They’re trending on the Crystal Ball for Johnson-Rubell and could be soon for Jackson as well.

Word is it will come down to Auburn and Texas for IMG Academy defensive lineman TJ Lindsey.

Stay tuned to 247Sports and Horns247 as more reaction comes in.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Steve Wiltfong

(Second time I've see this phrasing.  We should co-opt it for a title or something.)

Star. Studded. Weekend.

Reveal hidden contents

Steve Wiltfong

It was an exciting weekend on the recruiting trail for Steve Sarkisian and his staff, as they landed a commitment from coveted running back Jerrick Gibson out of IMG Academy, and are trending for several more prospects who made their way to Austin.

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Gibson is commit No. 6 for the Longhorns in the 2024 cycle as things start to pickup around a program that has finished in the top five of the 247Sports Recruiting Rankings the last two cycles. Gibson chose to play for Texas over his other finalists in Georgia, Miami and Tennessee, announcing his plans on Saturday afternoon.

“It was excellent,” Gibson’s father Victor Jenkins said of the entire experience on Sunday.

The returns coming out of the weekend from others were just as strong.

“The visit was outstanding, every minute of it,” Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy receiver Parker Livingstone said. He will announce a pledge on July 1 and Texas is trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. “I got to spend time with Arch (Manning), Colton (Vasek) and Michael (Taaffe). It was just a great time. What continues to stand out to me is the coaching staff and the culture that Texas has built and they’re headed in the right direction to be one of the dominant teams in the SEC!”

Several five-stars made the trip. Those that spent time around Duncanville (Texas) High edge rusher Colin Simmons like the way this recruitment is trending for the Longhorns as they battle Alabama, Miami, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M and Oregon among others. He is expected back in Baton Rouge in July. The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Texas for Waco (Texas) Connally Kobe Black who is also looking at Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma and Ohio State. Timpson (Texas) High standout and 247Sports’s No. 1 ranked athlete Terry Bussey was buzzing about his experience.

“My weekend in Austin was amazing,” Bussey said. “Had a great time and experience. “The relationships that are being built is what stands out to me.”

Several more Top247 recruits soaked in the atmosphere.

”Really liked the coaches and players,” Marietta (Ga.) Walton offensive tackle Daniel Calhoun said. He’s aiming for a July decision with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia and Tennessee the competition. “Really like the development from Coach Flood, he’s developed some really good offensive linemen. The players and coaches there are really cool. I get along with the coaches and players.”

“I had a great time for sure,” Allen (Texas) High Top247 edge Zina Umeozulu said. He will take more officials during the season. “Something I really like about Texas has got to be the culture that Sark is building and has. I can for sure see myself a part of this team. I like the staff and players and I feel like the coaches can really pour into me and develop me.”

IMG Academy teammates in Top247 defensive back Jordon Johnson-Rubell and defensive lineman Jayden Jackson are two more Texas is well positioned for. They’re trending on the Crystal Ball for Johnson-Rubell and could be soon for Jackson as well.

Word is it will come down to Auburn and Texas for IMG Academy defensive lineman TJ Lindsey.

Stay tuned to 247Sports and Horns247 as more reaction comes in.

That's good news on "may be trending soon" for Jackson on the crystal ball front. 

So it's us and Auburn for Lindsey?  Thought he was high on aggy and don't think I've heard Auburn being involved.

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy Rivals mod just flipped his USC pick on Tyanthony Smith back to aggy.  Aggy using a majority of its funds on this recruitment?

I wonder if aggy paid something for him to cancel his Texas visit? 

If they’re spending a big piece of their budget on Smith, their LB depth is worse than I thought. 

35 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy Rivals mod just flipped his USC pick on Tyanthony Smith back to aggy.  Aggy using a majority of its funds on this recruitment?

Good.  We can flip a LB commit from aggy

I'd rather he verbal there that USC.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I wonder if aggy paid something for him to cancel his Texas visit? 

If they’re spending a big piece of their budget on Smith, their LB depth is worse than I thought. 

Heard it was us (the coaches) that canceled the mid-week visit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls