Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

247Sports' old rankings are becoming frustratingly useless, but from what I can tell we landed just four of the top 25 in-state recruits in the 2019 class. Thus far we have zero for 2024, despite the fact that it's already July. We have four main targets in Simmons, Black, Ivy and Gipson but there's going to be a similar reliance on OOS guys.

Regarding returning production, the impact sometimes goes beyond just starters. People forget that in 2019 we actually did improve a lot on offense, both in the passing and rushing attack, but it was all for naught because of what we lost on the defensive side of the ball, through depth chart attrition + injuries. On the ground we lost Tre Watson who was 37% of our rushing production, plus Andrew Beck who didn't put up much in terms of stats but was an excellent blocker and made our O-line look a lot better than it was. This year we're losing 87% of our rushing production, including a guy who led all P5 RBs in yards after contact and again, made our O-line look a lot better than it realistically was. I'll spare the statistical details, but Bijan + Rojo were more or less our entire offense over the final four-game stretch of the regular season. Ewers will have to take a big leap this year, without either of them to lean on, just for our offense to stay at the same level as 2022. To surpass it? An even bigger leap. It's a very tall ask. And that's not getting into the loss of defensive experience with guys like Coburn, Ojomo, DTD, and Overshown gone.

It’s Fucking fantastic you cite the loss of DTD as a reason to be worried about the defense. Truly admirable straw grasping.

Also, don’t make me go back and find one of your innumerable posts in summer 2022 incessantly bitching about our coaches rolling back the same shitty players from 2021, like… drum roll… Coburn, ojomo, and overshown. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, satyanash said:

Lol. I've kept my mouth shut about it, but there are some ominous similarities between this preseason and the 2019 one. We're again getting hyped up by the media a ton compared to what's realistic with our roster. Lots of departing starters from the front 7. Big loss in rushing production from the offensive side of the ball. Returning QB with very big expectations. 

There's a lot wrong with this but the biggest issue is the 2019 season was projected to be a tough schedule. Sagarin had it as the #7 toughest schedule at the end of the year.

Texas played 3 top 15 teams that year (LSU #1, OU #7, and Baylor #13). 

Is there a top 15 caliber team on this year's schedule outside of Alabama? Maybe OU, Tech, TCU, or K-State but they look like more fringe top 25ish teams (at best). 

17 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There's a lot wrong with this but the biggest issue is the 2019 season was projected to be a tough schedule. Sagarin had it as the #7 toughest schedule at the end of the year.

Texas played 3 top 15 teams that year (LSU #1, OU #7, and Baylor #13). 

Is there a top 15 caliber team on this year's schedule outside of Alabama? Maybe OU, Tech, TCU, or K-State but they look like more fringe top 25ish teams (at best). 

I think Kansas State and Alabama are the two bonafied top 15 type teams. Oklahoma will be a top 15 team due to their schedule.

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

OU has shown up to meet the ask on Jackson. They were like 4th or 5th. Is OSU going to let that happen? Is he interested enough to take a deal that is what he wants, but at a school that he’d already told he was paring out of the final choices? 

I feel like there’s a lot we can take from that one. OU is pooling to get guys on the DL, where Venables knows he wants to build his foundation.  They’re getting aggressive, but they don’t have the money to do that everywhere. If OSU lets that happen, where do they redirect? If they don’t let that happen, they’re overpaying for someone that isn’t a top 5 target left on their list, and doing so with finite, but deep, resources. Finally, if Texas wound up being the pick, holy shit. 

Personally, I’m writing that one off. Now we’re exposed to Auburn’s willingness to go crazy. Wheeeeeeeeee!!!!

Would you say it's purely a cash grab or would he prefer to live in a place like Columbus or Austin over Norman?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Kansas State and Alabama are the two bonafied top 15 type teams. Oklahoma will be a top 15 team due to their schedule.

I don't agree at all. 

IMO, K-State is the most overrated Big 12 team heading into the season. They lost some serious weapons on offense (starting RB and 3 of their top 4 WRs). Then they lost nearly 50% of their defensive production. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't agree at all. 

IMO, K-State is the most overrated Big 12 team heading into the season. They lost some serious weapons on offense (starting RB and 3 of their top 4 WRs). Then they lost nearly 50% of their defensive production. 

As great as Deuce was I think they'll be better in the run game this year with the FSU transfer and Giddens. 

I think Will Howard will be a top 3 QB in the big 12 and their offensive line is likely the best in the conference. 

11 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. Aaron Bryant, Jaray Bledsoe, Jmond Tapp, Ethan Burke, Colton Vasek, what a fucking dumpster fire…

I believe he is talking about recruiting at Bo's position. Bo has helped out on many recruitments, so he has shown value, but IDL recruiting has been bad. Texas is trying to take at least 4, because of the prior recruiting issues there. . It is easy to make the case IDL recruiting has been the worst recruited position in the Sarkisian tenure (that can chance in 1 class though)

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Sejjr said:

The only thing really holding this team back is game-day acumen from the head man, and that is still an open debate

The QB and WRs being unable to connect on deep balls was perhaps our biggest shortcoming last year. I can't imagine that being the problem again this season.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They’re big on the notion of targets of opportunity in each class for specific positions of strength in that cycle.  They’ve piled on at different positions when they have a wave of interest from a deep position group. The DT/NT spots have been weak in Texas and they had no reason to be winning in the SEC footprint until the emergence of NIL.

Now that Texas is headed to the SEC with timing certainty and is armed with NIL, Texas can go into the rich territories for DL talent. It’s still not in Texas, but it is there in the southeast. They’re working on loading up and then balancing out with this class and those to follow, similar to what happened with OL and LB ahead of this cycle, two other positions in deep, deep shit when this staff showed up. Multiple posters on the 2023 thread were mocking Choate the same way you idiots are now bagging on Davis.

You guys can want something different to occur, or to have occurred, but that is pointless. They were not going to stack elite DT/NT talent en masse until now without a deep class or two in Texas. The knocking of Bo Davis is laughable, to boot. 

#1- I said Bo has shown his worth in other recruitments

#2- It is just a fact. DT has been one of the worst recruited positions over the last 3 years. There is a reason why they took a portal player and are looking to take multiple recruits. Like I said that can chance in a single class, but it is still a fact. Its not mocking Bo, its pointing out the obvious

#3- Lets not BS ourselves and say that the 2022 class was not a disappointment (and you know I love Bledoe's potential).  That class they took 4 IDL. That was the class intended to fix the depth issues. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

First, the man specified "Defensive Line Recruiting" and cited Davis. Kwiakowski techincally coaches outside LB, which I suppose in this defense is a gray area with Edge. Either way, he said defensive line was Bo's fault, all of it. And yeah, Davis does recruit and help out all over the line, and he's fucking good, both at recruiting and development. Throwing his name into fire for the shit sandwich he inherited, including conference affiliation, a decade of malaise as a program, and no NIL is pretty absurd. Sydir Mitchell is a huge fucking win. And in the meantime, developing former bust level players in Coburn and Sweat on the back end of their careers into draft picks, and improving the stock of Ojomo is noteworthy. And recruits have taken notice. They'll notice more when Murphy starts getting draft talk as well. We're going to be fine. 

Acknowledging that IDL recruiting has been poor, is not the same as saying that it is doomed. Like I said, it only takes one class to change things. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

First, the man specified "Defensive Line Recruiting" and cited Davis. Kwiakowski techincally coaches outside LB, which I suppose in this defense is a gray area with Edge. Either way, he said defensive line was Bo's fault, all of it. And yeah, Davis does recruit and help out all over the line, and he's fucking good, both at recruiting and development. Throwing his name into fire for the shit sandwich he inherited, including conference affiliation, a decade of malaise as a program, and no NIL is pretty absurd. Sydir Mitchell is a huge fucking win. And in the meantime, developing former bust level players in Coburn and Sweat on the back end of their careers into draft picks, and improving the stock of Ojomo is noteworthy. And recruits have taken notice. They'll notice more when Murphy starts getting draft talk as well. We're going to be fine. 

Yep. Exactly this. Texas may have three or four DL getting NFL draft talk this season between Sweat, Murphy, Collins, Broughton, and Carter. Now, none of them will be destined for the first day of the draft (unless Sweat or Collins have insane years), but recruits want to see players at their position get drafted/get a chance at the league. As has been mentioned, this has happened/will occur across a wide swathe of defensive lineman. 

If one can’t see the sheer improvement of the roster and development trajectory on the defensive line, they’re immutable chicken littles. As CTJ pointed out, Texas isn’t just going to add JAGs anymore to provide bodies in the room. Mitchell + Carter was better than any realistic outline this last cycle at IDL.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

#1- I said Bo has shown his worth in other recruitments, so I was far from mocking Bo.

#2- It is just a fact. DT has been one of the worst recruited positions over the last 3 years. There is a reason why they took a portal player and are looking to take multiple recruits. Like I said that can chance in a single class, but it is still a fact. Its not mocking Bo, its pointing out the obvious

#3- Lets not BS ourselves and say that the 2022 class was not a disappointment (and you know I love Bledoe's potential).  That class they took 4 IDL. That was the class intended to fix the depth issues. 

I think your 3rd point is crazy, at this point. The 4 IDL in 2022 are Bryant, Beldsoe, Ross, and Swanson. And realistically, we all know that anyone ever banking on Swanson as likely to fix any IDL problems is a regular poster on the football board. Ross, yes, we can all agree seems like a bust since he can't seem to put on any fucking weight whatsoever. Bledsoe, you say you love his potential. Bryant has gotten pretty good fucking reviews behind the scenes so far, but none of these motherfuckers was ever going to be playing over the last two years behind Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat, Collins, and Murphy. And now they probably won't play that much behind Sweat, Murphy, Collins, Broughton, and yes, Sydir Mitchell. Oh, and Trill Carter seems like he's going to be fine as well. After next season, it could be rough losing Collins and Sweat, and it gets really dicey if we lose Murphy. But we'll have (knock on wood) Mitchell, Bryant, Carter, Broughton (maybe) and Bledsoe. And we're loading up on beef in this class, which at worst case should give us a couple more servicable big bodies that we can stash or have play limited snaps while they start on their development path. And there's always potential in the portal to fucking Bear Alexander it if necessary. 

I'm having a hard time feeling concerned. 

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Acknowledging that IDL recruiting has been poor, is not the same as saying that it is doomed. Like I said, it only takes one class to change things. 

I mean, I just don't think it's been all that poor man. The only bad beat I see in 2022 is Ross, and everyone liked that kid. Literally the knock is he can't gain weight, which literally no one predicted. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

#1- I said Bo has shown his worth in other recruitments

Point #3 is just flatly incorrect regarding that being “the class intended to fix the depth issues”. 

I was in a conversation with the guy following that class, at a small gathering and he literally said “we had to take guys like Damion Square and Terrance Cody early at Bama because we weren’t getting the guys everybody wanted. Cody did work out, at least. “ 

That was the view on the 2022 group. They had to start somewhere. For reasons I’ve already explained. 

You are out of your depths on this discussion. You’re granting zero quarter for the circumstances this staff inherited at both the school and within the landscape. The more you dig in, the dumber you are going to look. 

They have chosen to be patient and strike when they felt like they had the ability to win at DL, and just like with other positions, that has been driven by the head coach.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think your 3rd point is crazy, at this point. The 4 IDL in 2022 are Bryant, Beldsoe, Ross, and Swanson. And realistically, we all know that anyone ever banking on Swanson as likely to fix any IDL problems is a regular poster on the football board. Ross, yes, we can all agree seems like a bust since he can't seem to put on any fucking weight whatsoever. Bledsoe, you say you love his potential. Bryant has gotten pretty good fucking reviews behind the scenes so far, but none of these motherfuckers was ever going to be playing over the last two years behind Ojomo, Coburn, Sweat, Collins, and Murphy. And now they probably won't play that much behind Sweat, Murphy, Collins, Broughton, and yes, Sydir Mitchell. Oh, and Trill Carter seems like he's going to be fine as well. After next season, it could be rough losing Collins and Sweat, and it gets really dicey if we lose Murphy. But we'll have (knock on wood) Mitchell, Bryant, Carter, Broughton (maybe) and Bledsoe. And we're loading up on beef in this class, which at worst case should give us a couple more servicable big bodies that we can stash or have play limited snaps. And there's always potential in the portal to fucking Bear Alexander it if necessary. 

I'm having a hard time feeling concerned. 

I mean, I just don't think it's been all that poor man. The only bad beat I see in 2022 is Ross, and everyone liked that kid. Literally the knock is he can't gain weight, which literally no one predicted. 

So your argument that the class wasnt a disappointment is Swanson was a bad take and we all should have known that. 2022 class is an issue, in the context of taking 1 in 2021 and 1 in 2023. They have to hit on a couple. Again I am not saying you should be concerned, that is not the discussion here. Texas took a portal kid and is looking to take 4 IDL this class. Its pretty obvious the staff understands they need to fix the roster at DT. I am just agreeing with the coaches. For some reason that is controversial on here

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sweat too. And Broughton is friends with Sweat and they work out together so I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing an improvement.

Just now, Bevo said:

Sweat too. And Broughton is friends with Sweat and they work out together so I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing an improvement.

I didn't mention Sweat because it's obvious he's going to get draft talk, he already dipped his toes in last year and opted to return to move up. Broughton, we'll see. He's had enough time in that he could really take a step forward this season and no one would be surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

So your argument that the class wasnt a disappointment is Swanson was a bad take and we all should have known that. 2022 class is an issue, in the context of taking 1 in 2021 and 1 in 2023. They have to hit on a couple. Again I am not saying you should be concerned, that is not the discussion here. Texas took a portal kid and is looking to take 4 IDL this class. Its pretty obvious the staff understands they need to fix the roster at DT. I am just agreeing with the coaches. For some reason that is controversial on here

The only thing controversial is your inability to understand the staff’s approach and strategy from the get-go. You’re being willfully obtuse. Couple that with the posting buffoonery on this subject matter from multiple idiots and handwringers, and it is highly enticing board protein to tear into after witnessing a day’s worth of blathering nonsense about unrelated subject matter (that you also played into), so sue us, I guess. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I didn't mention Sweat because it's obvious he's going to get draft talk, he already dipped his toes in last year and opted to return to move up. Broughton, we'll see. He's had enough time in that he could really take a step forward this season and no one would be surprised. 

Broughton is ass. Plays too high and gets washed into other players/lanes too often. Hurts the defense 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I will be. I think he and his chicken legs, standing straight-up to get pushed around behaviors get passed up unless a lot of shit for him has changed. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Point #3 is just flatly incorrect regarding that being “the class intended to fix the depth issues”. 

I was in a conversation with the guy following that class, at a small gathering and he literally said “we had to take guys like Damion Square and Terrance Cody early at Bama because we weren’t getting the guys everybody wanted. Cody did work out, at least. “ 

That was the view on the 2022 group. They had to start somewhere. For reasons I’ve already explained. 

You are out of your depths on this discussion. You’re granting zero quarter for the circumstances this staff inherited at both the school and within the landscape. The more you dig in, the dumber you are going to look. 

They have chosen to be patient and strike when they felt like they had the ability to win at DL, and just like with other positions, that has been driven by the head coach.

I appreciate your contributions, they far out-weigh mine. The facts are the fact though. The coaches plan in the this cycle has made it clear that there is an issue on the IDL roster. You can say there are reasons why it happened, I am not disagreeing, but it is an obvious issue. I get it people like Bo, as do I, but I dont see why that should stop fans from acknowledging there have been issues at IDL recruiting. 

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

What a load of fucking horseshit, and a weak effort at twisting words to suit your purpose. Fortunately, two can play that game:

So you're saying that you had Zac Swanson pegged as a 1st round draft pick? Hey guys, look at this guy, he thought Zac Swanson was a first round draft pick. 

If you're going to put words in someone's mouth, at least try to make it funny. Now, was Swanson a bad take? Not really, sometimes you need to take bodies. He was literally the last guy in the class, statistically how often do those guys pan out? This is a recuriting forum, the idea is we have the balls to critique and debate recruits, all while being realistic about where we think they end up. Were you standing on a table screaming that Larry Turner Gooden is likely a bad fucking take becuase the guy is probably never going to play an important snap at Texas? Or we should have saved the scholarship? I mean, exactly what is your fucking point there?

Your efforts to spin this as "I'm just agreeing with the coaches" is pretty funny. You have stated that the recruiting is poor, full stop, the end. I think recruiting at the position has been fine, impressive considering the circumstances the program was facing. Would we like some more depth? Sure. But the roster position as it stands is strong, and if we hit on our IDL targets this cycle, which looks pretty fucking likely, it will remain strong. So what exactly is the problem? And lets not pretend you know the minds of the coaches. I don't know if you've noticed, but they seem pretty fucking pleased with the roster and the team in general. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Justin Wells: Deep dive into On3 Industry Ranking five-star Ryan Wingo's recruitment

ST. LOUIS, Mo. – Ryan Wingo is one of the most coveted recruits in the nation in the 2024 class. The St. Louis (Mo.) University wide receiver is taking his time throughout the process, one that involves many of the country’s top offenses. Wingo, a 6-foot-2.5, 215-pound On3 Industry Ranking five-star, holds 42 offers from virtually every big program in the country. Producing 785 yards and 13 touchdowns at receiver, 44 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions and a score on defense, and averaging 30.5 yards per punt return with a pair of touchdowns tends to get attention. Add a wind-legal 10.55 100-meter and a 21.31 200-meter with a +2.5 m/s wind, and it’s more evidence of elite athleticism.

Of all the teams in the Wingo race, it appears a handful have separated from the pack. Texas, Tennessee, Michigan, Missouri, and Miami certainly have his attention, with Georgia and Texas A&M pushing as well. Wingo already made an unofficial visit to Texas last summer, and returned for an official trip on June 16-18 of 2023. Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian made a strong early impression on Wingo and his family.

“I just spoke to Coach Sark yesterday,” said Ryan. “He has that offensive mind. Lowkey, he’s like an offensive genius. I like how he gets his receivers the ball. I was watching Xavier Worthy and you know the coach trusts you when you’re running whip-outs and whip-in routes. The coach has to trust you to make that play, (to) go catch that fade on him because you’re solo’d up. Love how he puts his trust in his players. That’s a big thing.”

New Texas wide receivers coach Chris Jackson really has his attention. “I was just talking to Coach Jackson yesterday, me and him talk a lot now,” Wingo said. “One of his first days at Texas, he called me and we started getting to know each other. Then he came up to my school, talked to my coaches, came to my practice, and basically spent the entire day here. Then he got me to take that OV. Coach Jackson keeps it real with you. No lies.”

Wingo is looking for the best place for him on and off the field. After his official trip to Austin, he felt like he was at home. Not to mention there’s an enticing quarterback room and a few receivers he’s already friends with on campus.

“When I went up there, it wasn’t like those other schools that don’t feel like home,” said Wingo. “I talk to Johntay (Cook) and DeAndre Moore, and really they weren’t lying to me about nothing. Because they wouldn’t want their hosts to lie to them about trying to come to that school. They said to find the best option for me. Just them showing love would make it a great fit there. Arch (Manning) really didn’t try to sell me on Texas. He just wanted to get to know me. Arch wants me here, but he wants to get to know me first. Him and Johntay tell the truth. That’s what you want to hear.”

Worthy also mentioned to Wingo his trust and admiration for Sarkisian, and Wingo feels a similar way. “Sark really buys into his players and that’s the biggest thing,” said Wingo. “You want that relationship with your position coach and the person recruiting you the most. But when the head coach is involved, and really buys into who you are, that’s what you want.”

Receiver prospects can be typecast as either inside or outside receivers. With Wingo, he feels like his versatility allows him to do both. Texas’ 2023 class brought in receivers who can profile to the slot in Cook, Moore, and Ryan Niblett. In 2024, with Parker Livingstone and Freddie Dubose committed for outside roles, Wingo could see reps at both spots at Texas.

“When we were talking about it, it was like they recruited the slots in the 2023 class with Johntay able to play both,” Wingo explained. “In this class, they got Parker and Freddie that play outside, but I think how it would play out from my standpoint, I think I’d be more like Johntay playing more inside and outside.”

Wingo began the official visit process with trips to Georgia, Michigan, Texas, and Missouri, his final official of the summer. Tennessee is also in a great spot right now and will likely receive an official visit this fall. He’s a big fan of Volunteers coach Josh Heupel, loved Jaylin Hyatt‘s award-winning production last year, and likes the big-play offense in Knoxville. Georgia has his attention too, especially after winning back-to-back national championships.

Missouri has proximity and familiarity to offer, with Columbia not too far away from his hometown. Plus, his brother Ray Wingo played for Mizzou and several of Ryan’s friends and acquaintances are in Eliah Drinkwitz‘s program. The Tigers were his first offer in eighth grade. However, Wingo admitted leaving the state and “spreading his wings” might be the move. Michigan has a strong tradition, and he likes the atmosphere up north in Ann Arbor. He’s become more aware of one of the winningest programs in college football history.

Miami is another program he’s still connecting with and he could take an official visit to Coral Gables this fall. Wingo is expected to take an unofficial to Texas A&M in late July as the Aggies keep pushing. The elite pass-catcher remains steadfast in his decision to commit in December. In an ideal world, he’d commit on early National Signing Day, drive to the airport, head to his new home, and enroll early. He also said he could wake up one day and make the call.

Wingo is the youngest in a family of athletes. In the class of 2009, his oldest brother Ronnie was one of the nation’s highest-rated prospects. He played pro football with the Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, and Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL. Ray was a four-star defensive back at Missouri. Now, it’s Ryan’s turn.

“Growing up, I was doing the workouts my brothers did when I was five years old,” Wingo said. “When I first started football, I knew about NFL workouts. They wouldn’t let me lift, but I’d do pushups while they lifted. Then all the footwork drills. And the hills. We used to run them and run them. I feel like growing up in that house, I had two brothers I could look up to. Getting to learn from them the hard way, it definitely helped me.”

At the end of the day and Wingo’s recruiting process, what will be the most important factor in his decision? “The receiver play,” said Wingo. “I think that’s going to be the biggest thing. Because you want to go somewhere where they have great receivers and know how to use them. Like Texas, they should have two two 1,000-yard receivers this season, AD (Mitchell) and Xavier, most likely. Even (Jordan Whittington) should get 600-700 yards. If they can utilize those guys, that would be big.”

Wingo is the nation’s No. 24 overall prospect and No. 7 wide receiver per the On3 Industry Ranking, a weighted combination of the recruiting rankings published by the four main outlets. He’s also the No. 2 prospect in Missouri.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The only thing controversial is your inability to understand the staff’s approach and strategy from the get-go. You’re being willfully obtuse. Couple that with the posting buffoonery on this subject matter from multiple idiots and handwringers, and it is highly enticing board protein to tear into after witnessing a day’s worth of blathering nonsense about unrelated subject matter (that you also played into), so sue us, I guess. 

I am not going to change your mind. I find it hard to believe Sark and Bo's plan from the beginning was to hit IDL recruiting hard in 2024 and do it out of state. No coaching staff wants to be in that position. I agree that there have been legitimate circumstances that have led to this situation, but that does not stop me from acknowledging that Texas is not where they want to be at IDL currently. 

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve been questioning Saban’s hires over the past 5 years as much as anyone. I’ve got posts on this thread, the Saban/Bama thread on the football board and I’m sure several others where I go into some depth on it. But let’s be clear, early Saban at LSU and Bama was as good as it gets with the hires, especially on the defensive side. 

Bo Davis was promoted multiple times in the 2000’s on multiple Saban staffs. He was outstanding enough that Mack Brown money-whipped him into coming to Texas when numerous experts considered Davis a top 5 position coach and recruiter across the CFB landscape. 

It was only due to the simple idiocy of Charlie Strong that Texas lost Davis. By then, the SEC footprint had gone competely nuts and Clemson was emerging to boot. DL recruiting in the mid-teens to now among LSU, Fisher-FSU, Freeze-Ole Miss, Pruitt-Tenn, Clemson, Auburn, Bama, UGA, OSU, and ATM in the southeast has involved the dirtiest, most hate-filled recruiting in the history of the sport. It has rivaled college basketball recruiting. 

In the midst of that, Saban hired Davis back and they crushed it. Then Davis got busted doing something on another level with the help of some “analysts” and Saban had no choice but to let him go. Davis went to the NFL as a condition to the good graces granted in keeping things private. 

One of the first people contacted by Sarkisian was Davis after Sarkisian knew he had the Texas job. The guy left an NFL job to come back to Texas. He withstood the public posting of him losing his mind in a profanity-laced tirade at an extremely pious and straight-laced school known for putting its reputation above good personnel decisions. He’s turned down offers back to the NFL, back to LSU and back to Bama. 

Now, I wonder, are all of those regimes who have or want the guy just a large group of clowns masquerading as people who know something about football and recruiting? Or is it possible, and believe me, this … is … a hypothetical, that the guys on Surly doubting Davis’ recruiting and coaching acumen are just a large band of buffoons pounding out the first hints of nonsense that cross their minds onto keyboards that spew this unintentional comedy onto this forum? 

jordan-peterson.gif

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What a load of fucking horseshit, and a weak effort at twisting words to suit your purpose. Fortunately, two can play that game:

So you're saying that you had Zac Swanson pegged as a 1st round draft pick? Hey guys, look at this guy, he thought Zac Swanson was a first round draft pick. 

If you're going to put words in someone's mouth, at least try to make it funny. Now, was Swanson a bad take? Not really, sometimes you need to take bodies. He was literally the last guy in the class, statistically how often do those guys pan out? This is a recuriting forum, the idea is we have the balls to critique and debate recruits, all while being realistic about where we think they end up. We're you standing on a table screaming that Larry Turner Gooden is likely a bad fucking take becuase the guy is probably never going to play an important snap at Texas? Or we should have saved the scholarship? I mean, exactly what is your fucking point there?

Your efforts to spin this as "I'm just agreeing with the coaches" is pretty funny. You have stated that the recruiting is poor, full stop, the end. I think recruiting at the position has been fine, impressive considering the circumstances the program was facing. Would we like some more depth? Sure. But the roster position as it stands is strong, and if we hit on our IDL targets this cycle, which looks pretty fucking likely, it will remain strong. So what exactly is the problem? And lets not pretend you know the minds of the coaches. I don't know if you've noticed, but they seem pretty fucking pleased with the roster and the team in general. 

It just a fact. Texas is looking to take an out-sized class at IDL and took someone from the portal. The coaches actions on the matter are clear. These are not the actions of a coaching staff that is happy with the last 3 years of recruiting at a position. If you want to say there were reasons beyond the control of the staff that got Texas to this point, I will not argue with that. That is a different argument than saying there is no issue at the position. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

It just a fact. Texas is looking to take an out-sized class at IDL and took someone from the portal. The coaches actions on the matter are clear. These are not the actions of a coaching staff that is happy with the last 3 years of recruiting at a position. If you want to say there were reasons beyond the control of the staff that got Texas to this point, I will not argue with that. That is a different argument than saying there is no issue at the potion. 

Which is a different statement than saying "DL recruiting has been trash."

• Like 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls