Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

(Gerry Hamilton) Inside Scoop: Where Texas stands with key 2024 targets

Inside Texas brings Texas Longhorns fans the latest on key 2024 recruiting targets in the Inside Scoop ahead of the BYU game weekend.

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally
The leader: Texas
Next Texas visit: Possibly November 4th, for the Texas-Kansas State game.
The competition: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Oregon
The timeline: Black maintains he’d prefer to wait until closer to early National Signing Day, but a decision before then could be as likely.

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei
Committed to: Auburn
Last visit to Texas: OV on September 30th
For Texas to win out: Easier travel, Flood’s resume for development, NIL opportunities.

Solomon Williams, EDGE/LB, Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day
The favorite: Williams likes Texas football and academic combo, but NIL is a part of the decision.
Texas A&M and Oregon notes: Texas A&M has had the most campus visits. Oregon leads for Elijah Rushing, so is Williams a true top priority still?
Alabama: Not the top choice for Williams, but still in it.

Xavier Filsaime, S, McKinney (Texas) High
Committed to: Florida. The Gators recruiting class momentum is helping here.
Next Texas visit: The staff is working to get Filsaime on campus for the BYU or Kansas State game.
What Texas has to overcome: Offering very late in the game when Georgia and Florida pushed Filsaime for close to a year.
Is there a sleeper team: Oregon is definitely trying to get a visit.

Wardell Mack, CB, Marrero (La.) John Ehret
Committed to: Florida
Mack and Texas: Terry Joseph remains in contact with Mack and family. Texas is working to get him on campus in the next couple of weekends.
Visit scheduled: Florida State for the FSU-Miami game November 11.
Who is still trying: Texas, FSU and LSU.
What Texas is up against: Mack likes the idea of playing and living in the state of Florida.

Tyanthony Smith, LB, Jasper (Texas) High
Committed to: Texas A&M
Potential Texas visit: Already cancelled an official visit for Kansas game/weekend. BYU and Kansas State possibilities, but nothing planned as of Friday.
Texas best hope: Texas A&M class craters to the point of overwhelming Red Bryant’s influence.

Corian Gipson, DB, Lancaster (Texas) High
Committed to: Clemson
Potential Texas visit: Texas cornerback coach Terry Joseph wants to get the On3 four-star on campus for game over the next five to six week, but as of today, nothing is planned.
Texas best hope: Clemson’s season continues to be contentious and Gipson’s mother maybe preferring her son stay closer to home at the end of the day, especially rehabbing his surgically repaired knee.

Myles Davis, S, Converse (Texas) Judson
Committed to: Texas A&M
Potential Texas visit: Davis is tentatively scheduled to be in Austin the day after Thanksgiving for the Texas-Texas Tech game.
Texas best hope: Texas A&M’s class continues to crater and the Horns push the right buttons.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, Bevo said:

I thought someone said achilles, but not sure.

Potential Texas visit: Texas cornerback coach Terry Joseph wants to get the On3 four-star on campus for game over the next five to six week, but as of today, nothing is planned.
Texas best hope: Clemson’s season continues to be contentious and Gipson’s mother maybe preferring her son stay closer to home at the end of the day, especially rehabbing his surgically repaired knee.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

That torn achilles this board told me he had must of been really severe if they had to operate on his knee to fix it.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

That torn achilles this board told me he had must of been really severe if they had to operate on his knee to fix it.

I don’t know who said anything about an achilles. I knew it was a severe triad blowout and was asked to leave it off the boards until the family had made it known. So I left it alone and it’s worked its way out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

The achilles tear was so powerful that it ripped his calf completely off the bone on the way to ripping every ligament out of place in his knee. It's basic physics really. At this point his rear leg operates more like a sail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The achilles tear was so powerful that it ripped his calf completely off the bone on the way to ripping every ligament out of place in his knee. It's basic physics really. At this point his rear leg operates more like a sail. 

Maybe Stone Cold was the attending physician.

Hit Him Where It Hurts Steve Austin GIF by WWE

• Haha 7

On 10/23/2023 at 2:15 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

6'5, 250. 

As a prospect, that's 2 inches taller and 2 lbs heavier than Sweat. Unlikely that he stays on the edge at Texas, unless he's able to play SDE while he's growing. 

That's about 70 pounds lighter than Sweat, who was about 320 .lbs his senior year and also as a freshman at Texas.

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That's about 70 pounds lighter than Sweat, who was about 320 .lbs his senior year and also as a freshman at Texas.

Yeah, about that. 

Also. As i was scrolling thru the 2019 recruiting class. Lord son. That was a beating. Looked like 90% of the class left for reason. 

Strokes, spines, a whole bunch of portal. Smh. Lets not do that again. Ok?

Screenshot_20231025_005918_Brave.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Fong now saying Texas might have made a late surge for Wingo. Viewing it as clickbait until he actually makes his commitment wherever today

Spoiler

It's decision day for St. Louis (Mo.) University five-star receiver Ryan Wingo. 247Sports' No. 2 receiver and No. 5 prospect overall will announce his plans at 5:15 pm on the 247Sports YouTube Channel.

Missouri is a program that's had a lot of buzz over the last couple weeks following visits to Columbia for the LSU and South Carolina games. Wingo also attended the Tigers win over Memphis in St. Louis.

But as the decision draws near, the buzz for Texas is picking back up.

The Longhorns were the leader in the summer following his official visit to Austin and Texas looked like the one following his return for the Wyoming game. As the decision draws near, I'm hearing a lot about Texas' position againt.

Steve Sarkisian and his staff are sitting on 247Sports No. 16 ranked recruiting class and they are in the middle of it for Wingo going into his decision today.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fong now saying Texas might have made a late surge for Wingo. Viewing it as clickbait until he actually makes his commitment wherever today
Spoiler

It's decision day for St. Louis (Mo.) University five-star receiver Ryan Wingo. 247Sports' No. 2 receiver and No. 5 prospect overall will announce his plans at 5:15 pm on the 247Sports YouTube Channel.
Missouri is a program that's had a lot of buzz over the last couple weeks following visits to Columbia for the LSU and South Carolina games. Wingo also attended the Tigers win over Memphis in St. Louis.
The Longhorns were the leader in the summer following his official visit to Austin and Texas looked like the one following his return for the Wyoming game. As the decision draws near, I'm hearing a lot about Texas' position againt.
Steve Sarkisian and his staff are sitting on 247Sports No. 16 ranked recruiting class and they are in the middle of it for Wingo going into his decision today.

Would be nice that this last minute push happens to us for once.
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well he didn't also flip his prediction, so I think it's safe to surmise he's trolling for clicks

• Hook 'Em 5

28 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Reveal hidden contents

8a7062be-475b-4f64-95ea-011fe3ad8486_tex

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not sure which recruiting class he will be in but Billy Pittman has a son in 7th grade right now that is bigger than he was at the time and more athletic. They say he's better than Billy was at that same point. We should keep an eye on him moving forward.

I will leave the keeping an eye on 7th graders to you, my man

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I feel like CTJ would have told us were not getting Wingo if we were not getting Wingo so until that we are getting Wingo.

Will be interesting if IT live streams the announcement.

Wouldn't take them not being there as a death knell. If we made a surge in the last 12 or so hours then with would be tough for IT to get somebody to Missouri last minute.