Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

He's a RS Freshman who looked like a RS Freshman in the 2 games that he played. Bo Nix looked like shit in his 1st 2 games. Quinn looked like shit in the 2nd half of last season. Not saying Maalik is going to be Bo Nix or Ewers, he could be Swoopes V2, but it's damn premature to write off a dude this early.Ā 

It's also unwise to predict he will be one of the most coveted players in the portal given what he did show on the field.

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Iā€™m not writing the dude off. But there were rumors Florida was trying to lure him into the portal after the spring game. No way that level of program is banging on his door now.

This

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Ā  Hide contents
Player Ht Wt Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Richardson 6'4 236 *2021 Florida SEC FR QB 8 38 64 59.4 529 8.3 6.6 6 5 144.1
Ā  Ā  Ā  *2022 Florida SEC SO Ā  12 176 327 53.8 2549 7.8 7.6 17 9 131
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 
Murphy 6'5 235 2023 Texas Big 12 FR QB 6 39 70 55.7 465 6.6 5.6 3 3 117.1

Ā 

Now do a comparison on their athletic traits, SPARQ testing, and rushing yards...

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

It's also unwise to predict he will be one of the most coveted players in the portal given what he did show on the field.

If/when he enters the portal, he'll have no issues finding another school. Coaches trust Sark's QB takes. Is he as hot as he was before the 2 games? No idea. He's been nothing but a great teammate. I wish him well if he stays or transfers. I hope he kicks ass where ever he ends up.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

If/when he enters the portal, he'll have no issues finding another school. Coaches trust Sark's QB takes. Is he as hot as he was before the 2 games? No idea. He's been nothing but a great teammate. I wish him well if he stays or transfers. I hope he kicks ass where ever he ends up.

I don't think anyone here wishes anything negative for the guy. But this is a recruiting thread and evaluating honestly is part of the deal. He's going to transfer, and I hope he crushes it wherever he goes, and yet I also have no problem on this one and saying that he won't crush it wherever he goes.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

Mostly, I was reacting to whoever had misinterpreted the draft grade for "Murphy" being about Maalik. Obviously he isn't draft eligible and I was being ridiculous, but I do find the notion of Maalik Murphy ever going anywhere near the 3rd round in a draft to be laughable.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Ā  Hide contents
Richardson 6'4 236 *2021 Florida SEC FR QB 8 38 64 59.4 529 8.3 6.6 6 5 144.1
Ā  Ā  Ā  *2022 Florida SEC SO Ā  12 176 327 53.8 2549 7.8 7.6 17 9 131
Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 
Murphy 6'5 235 2023 Texas Big 12 FR QB 6 39 70 55.7 465 6.6 5.6 3 3 117.1

Ā 

i get where you are going but that's a horrific comparison because there literally is no comparison between Anthony Richardson and any other player drafted. RAS = Relative Athletic Score and tries to compare how athletic players are between positions and years.

Richardson has a 10.00 RAS, which is #1 out of 916 QBs in their database back to 87

BUT what's more impressive than the perfect 10 RAS is that he would have that perfect 10 RAS (so the 100th percentile overall) at QB, RB, WR, LB, CB, FS and SS. so literally the 100th percentile for those positions

here is where he would score at the positions he wasn't the most athletic player in the last 35 years, where he is still incredibly athletic for any of those at over a 9.7 for everywhere but OT lol

His scores at the 6 spots he doesn't have a 10.00 at-

• TE- 9.84
  • OT- 9.00
  • OG- 9.70
  • C- 9.86
  • DE- 9.87
  • DT- 9.87

there is no QB like him ever in NFL draft history: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/anthony-richardson

most comparable QB is Cam Newton who is only like 70% of what Richardson is. the most comparable players across the board are Jonathan Mingo (96.4%) and Khalil Mack (89.8%)

image.thumb.png.2928c8c8dfe522ea6fdcaee9b73c541e.png

Ā 

Deion isn't in the dataset but his 10 yard split on his 40 faster than Deion (1.52 vs 1.53), their 20 Split is the same (2.56) but Deion is much faster in the last 20 (4.29 vs 4.3) - which is reasonable since Richardson has 62 pounds and like 5" on the guy.

tl;dr - don't use Anthony Richardson as draft comparison for any player anywhere ever.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's not good. He has two valuable assets that are unteachable - physique and arm strength. Beyond that, he's not just mediocre at most other facets for a QB, he's off the charts bad at a lot of them.

He's scared of contact. He imagines pocket pressure in ways that make Quinn Ewers envious. He's immobile to the point of being a statue. He has the touch of drunken step parent and the accuracy of a storm trooper. He can read the field the way a kindergartner can read James Joyce. He's got Garrett Gilbert's long striding down pat.Ā 

In short, he's got a lot of unfixable problems and he's never going to be a productive QB at the P5 level.Ā 

He didnā€™t look great once the scripted plays that he worked all week on were used up but he did show off his arm on some great early throws. Itā€™s still early for him. He will be a power five starter before his career ends if he can stay healthy. Thatā€™s his biggest issue. He was scared of contact cause he wasnā€™t/isnā€™t healthy. Truthfully shouldnā€™t have been playing with his back issues.Ā 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's not good. He has two valuable assets that are unteachable - physique and arm strength. Beyond that, he's not just mediocre at most other facets for a QB, he's off the charts bad at a lot of them.

He's scared of contact. He imagines pocket pressure in ways that make Quinn Ewers envious. He's immobile to the point of being a statue. He has the touch of drunken step parent and the accuracy of a storm trooper. He can read the field the way a kindergartner can read James Joyce. He's got Garrett Gilbert's long striding down pat.Ā 

In short, he's got a lot of unfixable problems and he's never going to be a productive QB at the P5 level.Ā 

This board was pretty sure after many games last season that Ewers was complete dogshit. He had and still sometimes has trouble seeing open receivers, anticipating throws, and is still sometimes inconsistent with accuracy. However he's MUCH better than he was last year.Ā 

QBs can get better, or they can be Swoopes. I'm not confident enough to write off dudes after 2 games.Ā 

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

This board was pretty sure after many games last season that Ewers was complete dogshit. He had and still sometimes has trouble seeing open receivers, anticipating throws, and is still sometimes inconsistent with accuracy. However he's MUCH better than he was last year.Ā 

QBs can get better, or they can be Swoopes. I'm not confident enough to write off dudes after 2 games.Ā 

don't read the football board.

30 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Holy shit people- he's talking about Byron Murphy with the top 80 grade for the 2024 draft.Ā  Is Malik Murphy even draft eligible in 2024 NFL draft?Ā  Stop eating paint chips.Ā 

To be fair message board idiots are easy enough to manipulate. Eating paint chips is the least of their worries.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i get where you are going but that's a horrific comparison because there literally is no comparison between Anthony Richardson and any other player drafted. RAS = Relative Athletic Score and tries to compare how athletic players are between positions and years.

Richardson has a 10.00 RAS, which is #1 out of 916 QBs in their database back to 87

BUT what's more impressive than the perfect 10 RAS is that he would have that perfect 10 RAS (so the 100th percentile overall) at QB, RB, WR, LB, CB, FS and SS. so literally the 100th percentile for those positions

here is where he would score at the positions he wasn't the most athletic player in the last 35 years, where he is still incredibly athletic for any of those at over a 9.7 for everywhere but OT lol

• TE- 9.84
  • OT- 9.00
  • OG- 9.70
  • C- 9.86
  • DE- 9.87
  • DT- 9.87

there is no QB like him ever in NFL draft history: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/anthony-richardson

most comparable QB is Cam Newton who is only like 70% of what Richardson is. the most comparable players across the board are Jonathan Mingo (96.4%) and Khalil Mack (89.8%)

Ā 

Deion isn't in the dataset but his 10 yard split on his 40 faster than Deion (1.52 vs 1.53), their 20 Split is the same (2.56) but Deion is much faster in the last 20 (4.29 vs 4.3) - which is reasonable since Richardson has 62 pounds and like 5" on the guy.

tl;dr - don't use Anthony Richardson as draft comparison for any player anywhere ever.

Anthony Richardson was a terrible pick by the Colts, nonetheless. Just an obvious disaster that will be mocked for years. The good news, however, is that, sure, he can just change positions and start absolutely mauling WRs as the world's largest CB.Ā 

2 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

He didnā€™t look great once the scripted plays that he worked all week on were used up but he did show off his arm on some great early throws. Itā€™s still early for him. He will be a power five starter before his career ends if he can stay healthy. Thatā€™s his biggest issue. He was scared of contact cause he wasnā€™t/isnā€™t healthy. Truthfully shouldnā€™t have been playing with his back issues.Ā 

We'll just have to disagree on this one. I think he's got a lot of unfixable shit going on and don't see him ever being anything but a poor man's Joe Milton or Ryan Mallett, and that would be the best version of him maximizing what he's working with and not playing scared shitless in the pocket.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

breaking news: RSFR QB struggles in his first ever collegiate start and in his second start against the #11 DFEI team in the country.

if you think he doesn't end up with a P5 team you are

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

Ā 

He would have looked like shit playing against LSU's defense. Nut yourself over advanced stats all you'd like, but they have no bearing on how Murphy played. He was bad bad bad bad bad irrespective of opposition.

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

• TE- 9.84
  • OT- 9.00
  • OG- 9.70
  • C- 9.86
  • DE- 9.87
  • DT- 9.87

Ā 

And yet most of that has very little to do with playing the most important position in football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't post anything like that about Ewers because I didn't share that outlook.Ā 

I'm about as far from the "players don't develop or improve" mantra that is absolutely common with posters on college football boards. That said, when you know, you know. I called Garrett Gilbert, Tyrone Swoopes, and Caleb Klubnik, all for similar reasons, with the same confidence I have in Murphy never getting it done for a P5 program.

Improve? Sure. It's hard not to expect that if he's being coached well. To expect enough improvement that he'd be a starting P5 asset, however, is folly.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

Have some more Brieā€¦Ā 

IMG_2731.thumb.jpeg.9253ed440d4bb841d0c9a17ca9057a60.jpegIMG_2730.thumb.jpeg.c386ef3699388db29ad56db9b197f4ad.jpegIMG_2729.thumb.webp.d3cb596d853077003fdc65bd48501772.webp

Ā 

17 hours ago, Red Five said:

Alison Brie Rip Shirt GIF - Alison Brie Rip Shirt Rip Blouse - Discover &  Share GIFs

I admire the respect shown here for Hollywoodā€™s original casting methods.

The commitment to give what youā€™ve got to land that role via attention to the pole and providing a hole.

Bless women who respect the past.

šŸ†šŸ‘ŒšŸ‘©šŸ»ā€šŸ¦³

šŸ’¦ ( . )( . )

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, NoName said:

• TE- 9.84
  • OT- 9.00
  • OG- 9.70
  • C- 9.86
  • DE- 9.87
  • DT- 9.87

Ā 

So pleased to know that some copy pasta and Larry David are enough to send you down the rabbit hole, though, now I'm curious. How outlandish does the post have to be to register as sarcasm not worth replying to? Because I'm going to mash that threshold every day until you get a job.Ā 

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

The difference between Murphy and Ewers is that with Ewers, you could see what he was trying to do even when he failed to do it. Ā He wanted to hit Worthy deep but he didnā€™t set his feet, he wanted to hit Sanders in the middle but the linebacker got depth late, etc. Ā You could see the process and the mistake(s) that led to the breakdown of that process.

Watching Murphy, there are times where I canā€™t imagine what heā€™s even trying to do. Ā The throw is just so bad I canā€™t tell if itā€™s a bad decision, bad mechanics, bad timing, miscommunication, or some combination thereof.

I think Murphy is a coach-killer. Ā A guy with incredible potential, massive arm, great size, Iā€™m sure he comes across as very coachable. Ā The kind of player every coach looks at and says, ā€œI can fix him.ā€ Ā And then heā€™s goes out there and throws it to the other team 4-5 times a game. Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Anthony Richardson was a terrible pick by the Colts, nonetheless. Just an obvious disaster that will be mocked for years. The good news, however, is that, sure, he can just change positions and start absolutely mauling WRs as the world's largest CB.Ā 

-

He would have looked like shit playing against LSU's defense. Nut yourself over advanced stats all you'd like, but they have no bearing on how Murphy played. He was bad bad bad bad bad irrespective of opposition.

oh man, we really really really disagree here on Richardson. i thought he was going to be the worst top 5 pick since Jamarcus Russell. after seeing the NFL video analyst folks talk about him i'm sold.

also i deleted the Maalik take like 3 min after i posted

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So pleased to know that some copy pasta and Larry David are enough to send you down the rabbit hole, though, now I'm curious. How outlandish does the post have to be to register as sarcasm not worth replying to? Because I'm going to mash that threshold every day until you get a job.

you post absolutely never registered as sarcasm to me. you have been around to see the folks who think Murphy is the second coming, thought maybe you were one of those dudes.

that took <5 min to google, screenshot and post.

also, no reason for you to be a cunt - so don't be one.

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

oh man, we really really really disagree here on Richardson. i thought he was going to be the worst top 5 pick since Jamarcus Russell. after seeing the NFL video analyst folks talk about him i'm sold.

also i deleted the Maalik take like 3 min after i posted

I don't really give one fuck what an NFL analyst thinks about Richardson. The guy is fucking terrible and he's also unable to stay healthy. Mike Leach was right when he talked about not being to fix inaccurate. Some ailments are fatal.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't really give one fuck what an NFL analyst thinks about Richardson. The guy is fucking terrible and he's also unable to stay healthy. Mike Leach was right when he talked about not being to fix inaccurate. Some ailments are fatal.Ā 

Richardson is a canā€™t miss prospect if you ignore all the times heā€™s actually played football

• Haha 8
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We'll just have to disagree on this one. I think he's got a lot of unfixable shit going on and don't see him ever being anything but a poor man's Joe Milton or Ryan Mallett, and that would be the best version of him maximizing what he's working with and not playing scared shitless in the pocket.

Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Suddenly I feel better about Maalik

On 9/1/2018 at 4:33 PM, closetojumping said:

Sam Ehlinger is a classic football moron. It is no wonder Tim Beck and Herman love him. Theyā€™re all losers.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Enjoy your fanboying. It's really going to payoff.

Folks always like to post that quote as though Ehlinger wound up being some sort of wizard. He went 1-4 against OU and 32-17 (.653) as a starter at Texas. He was fine as a college QB and battering ram. Putting him on the Major Applewhite Pedestal for Average QBs Who Become Folk Heroes at Texas is a choice, I guess.Ā 

Not a Maalik fanboy, but I do love your hawt takes.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think he's got a lot of unfixable shit going on and don't see him ever being anything but a poor man's Joe Milton or Ryan Mallett,

are you saying he can't swim, good sir? might be kinda racist.

Edited by tejas60
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Putting him on the Major Applewhite Pedestal for Average QBs Who Become Folk Heroes at Texas is a choice, I guess.Ā 

Oh wow. Thatā€™s hilarious, but fuck you. Iā€™m not sure how you managed to kick my sense of nostalgia in the nuts, I didnā€™t even know nostalgia had nuts, but you goddamn well did.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Justin Wells had an update on prospects and flips - this blurb is regarding Kobe Black:

Black will announce his future college program soon at a ceremony at Connally High School in Waco. Thereā€™s rumors he could be joined by another prospect, and weā€™re watching that closely as we get closer to early National Signing Day.

Are portal candidates considered 'prospects'?.

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes, and Wells is being an idiot.

SIAP - Justin Wells is referring to Kobe Black's brother, Korie, who is a potential grad transfer from Okie Lite.Ā  He's hinted that they will commit to UT together (Korie being a grad transfer) after the season.Ā 

Justin and Gerry both mention this on a weekly basis.

3 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

SIAP - Justin Wells is referring to Kobe Black's brother, Korie, who is a potential grad transfer from Okie Lite.Ā  He's hinted that they will commit to UT together (Korie being a grad transfer) after the season.Ā 

Right. Thatā€™s what weā€™re saying.Ā 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Justin Wells had an update on prospects and flips - this blurb is regarding Kobe Black:

Are portal candidates considered 'prospects'?.

Ā 

45 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

If KorieĀ Black plays in his teamsā€™ bowl game, then this joint announcement would happen after ESD. So in addition to having no subtlety whatsoever, Wells is also stretching it by saying ā€œsoonā€.Ā