Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The biggest risk in the Simmons recruitment is that he's not really serious about anything but going to LSU and plans to make all of that clear to other recruits, even on OVs. Cook's likely as much saying that as anything. He knows the game. We'll see with Simmons. The fact that he's playing up everyone but LSU, but anyone paying attention in recruiting is saying they're the favorite, should give all of us some pause. 

Is he a guy that you bring in on a date other than a big recruiting weekend?

15 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I feel the same way, but Simmons has always been leaning LSUs way.. Maybe PK can pull a shocker by grabbing the elite DE out of Bama who is visiting this week?

You guys should take a look at all of the edges that Texas is bringing in. I think the idea is to make an aggressive, credible push for Simmons, hope LSU has a disappointing season, and then you try to win the NIL pitch at closing, but in the meantime, get on and stay on as many other potential starting quality EDGE recruits as you can find. Given the dearth of Edges in the portal, I assume they're going to take 2-3 of them on the recruiting end and also Simmons if they get lucky. 

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is he a guy that you bring in on a date other than a big recruiting weekend?

Well, that's what Texas is doing, so I guess so. Bama is doing the same this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys should take a look at all of the edges that Texas is bringing in. I think the idea is to make an aggressive, credible push for Simmons, hope LSU has a disappointing season, and then you try to win the NIL pitch at closing, but in the meantime, get on and stay on as many other potential starting quality EDGE recruits as you can find. Given the dearth of Edges in the portal, I assume they're going to take 2-3 of them on the recruiting end and also Simmons if they get lucky. 

Well, that's what Texas is doing, so I guess so. Bama is doing the same this weekend.

How are we looking on the inside with regards to DL?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This seems like the strategy they had with Anthony Hill last year.  Hopefully, this works with Simmons this year. 

23 hours ago, cafe society said:

I think this is mostly wishful thinking out of BCS because Sark and Co. slow played Bussey because they wanted to evaluate him further, while aggy offered right off the bat.

Its funny we waited like 2 months longer to "evaluate further" a guy everyone in Texas has known about for like 3 years 

I mean this staff should be confident. the only guys without recruiting skins on the wall are Kwiatkowski, Jackson (who just arrived), and maybe Gideon (not sure how much of the heavy lifting is done by Joseph at DB).

Joseph, Flood, Davis, Sarkisian, Choice, and Choate are elite to near elite.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean this staff should be confident. the only guys without recruiting skins on the wall are Kwiatkowski, Jackson (who just arrived), and maybe Gideon (not sure how much of the heavy lifting is done by Joseph at DB).

I love the ebb and flow of these boards. 

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How are we looking on the inside with regards to DL?

It'll be interesting to see if they push for Melvin Hills out of Louisiana.  247 thinks if we push we'll land him, and I've seen a lot of posts on Tigerdroppings of posters who have seen him play think he's going to be really good.

I've also seen chatter on that board that McKinley may want to go out of state to play.

I still don't get Jayden Jackson's ranking, he looks real good on film IMO.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, J.Peterman said:

The Athletic has a note today about the IMG Academy's Under Armour camp.  Apparently Jerrick Gibson's dad is recruiting for Texas and was urging Oklahoma native and 5-star defensive lineman David Stone to give Texas some strong consideration.    

doesn't look like it worked

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

U5SdH746.gif.67545f28fb72effd7991fae9142cb29a.gif

• Haha 7

The Huddle: A handful of recruiting notes leading into the OV weekend

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: A handful of recruiting notes leading into the OV weekend

Hudson Standish

— Earlier today 247Sports National Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong dropped an intriguing nugget on the football recruiting podcast with Andrew Ivins and Cooper Petagna about priority target Jerrick Gibson. "At one point (Gibson) was considered a heavy Texas Longhorns lean, and while I'm still rocking with the Longhorns there I think Texas needs to have a good official visit at the end of the month. Gibson canceled his official visit to Tennessee for this weekend and will be at the OT7 finals in Los Angeles this weekend."

Behind the scenes, it's been clear for a bit that Gibson's recruitment has been trending toward a head-to-head battle between Miami and Texas. All indications are that Miami nailed the OV weekend with the Gibson family, but I still favor the Longhorns considering they have the last visit and a true ace positional recruiter in Tashard Choice.

— With news that elite tight end Davon Mitchell is likely reclassifying to the 2024 class I decided to check in with a source to get the latest. The former Allen product dropped a top five of Alabama, Oklahoma, Miami, Texas A&M, and Texas but the sense I got was that Alabama, Miami, and OU were the schools with the most realistic shot of landing Mitchell. Mitchell has a commitment date set for July 8th and unless Texas is able to find a way to get the blue-chip tight end on campus and make a major impression, I don't see the Longhorns beating out Alabama or Oklahoma.

— I mentioned in The Stampede that I really liked where Texas stands with composite four-star EDGE Danny Okoye ahead of his official visit this weekend. The trip to Austin is the only official visit currently on the docket for the 6-foot-5, 230-pounder who fits a dire need for the Longhorns at a position of need. I've fielded calls on Okoye all day to get a better sense of the recruitment and it's become pretty clear that Oklahoma isn't as big of a factor as I previously thought. Sources have been adamant that Texas is treating the Tulsa native as a major priority and reading the tea leaves ahead of the OV there seem to be a lot of factors trending in the right direction for Pete Kwiatkowski.

— Lastly, Hank South confirmed and wanted me to post ASAP that two defensive line prospects from the state of Alabama have confirmed with him that they're taking official visits to Texas this weekend. Pike Road DL Malik Blocton and Phenix City (AL) Central DL Isaia Faga (Utah commit) will both be in Austin this upcoming weekend. Blocton has been characterized as a pretty significant Auburn lean, while Faga seems to be a more realistic option even though he's been committed to the Utes since December of 2022. Faga is also coming off of a recent official visit to Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 6

18 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

This is from OU 247.  Consistent with what Standish said in the Huddle (posted above).

image.thumb.png.bb6913ce24125ee671f2e0f053c94944.png

https://247sports.com/Player/Danny-Okoye-46134134/

Sounds eerily familiar

• Haha 6

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This dude is now set to visit on the big weekend next weekend. They like him. Pay attention to the dudes visiting next weekend as they represent a majority of the primary options at tons of positions.

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/solomon-williams-locks-in-texas-official-visit/

Looks like some IT RPM movement today ... 

image.png.3c5766ea25d931991b1c6421687cda9f.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

Looks like some IT RPM movement today ... 

image.png.3c5766ea25d931991b1c6421687cda9f.png

Williams and Okoye are both SDE/Jacks, dont think we will take 2 so lets see who they push for. 
love Okoye film but hopefully the staff saw him at a camp or somewhere he played vs better comp to get an better idea of how he does vs non homeschool players. 

8 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Williams and Okoye are both SDE/Jacks, dont think we will take 2 so lets see who they push for. 
love Okoye film but hopefully the staff saw him at a camp or somewhere he played vs better comp to get an better idea of how he does vs non homeschool players. 

IMO they will load up at all positions across the defensive front this cycle. 

Apparently Danny Okoye plays wide receiver for his home school 7on7 team in Oklahoma at 6'5 230. Wells is going to watch his 7on7 game tonight.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

Firm commitment dates so far per Bobby:

Alex January - Early July, Gerry says Texas leads LSU

Ryner Swanson - July 1/2, Gerry says tough call and expected to take mission after 1 year. 

Parker Livingstone - July 1, Wells believes Texas, Gerry agrees

Melvin Hills - July 15, Gerry believes Texas leads 

Aeryn Hampton - July 4, Not even worth discussing so I won't put any notes from Gerry/Justin here.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO they will load up at all positions across the defensive front this cycle. 

Apparently Danny Okoye plays wide receiver for his home school 7on7 team in Oklahoma at 6'5 230. Wells is going to watch his 7on7 game tonight.

3 interior DTs, 2-3 DEs(SDE(Jack)/WDE(Buck)) is loading up imo. 

thats what makes Okoye so intriguing, he has twitch for a future 6-5 260# Jack. He competition is just poor. 

26 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

3 interior DTs, 2-3 DEs(SDE(Jack)/WDE(Buck)) is loading up imo. 

thats what makes Okoye so intriguing, he has twitch for a future 6-5 260# Jack. He competition is just poor. 

You need to take at least 3 on the interior. There is a chance 3 are gone after this year. Texas only took 1 last year, so 3 seems like the minimum to me. On the edge, Texas has Sorrell and bunch of question marks. I am happy to throw numbers at those spots (4), until the pups show a pulse. Landing someone like Colin Simmons could lower that number. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You need to take at least 3 on the interior. There is a chance 3 are gone after this year. Texas only took 1 last year, so 3 seems like the minimum to me. On the edge, Texas has Sorrell and bunch of question marks. I am happy to throw numbers at those spots (4), until the pups show a pulse. Landing someone like Colin Simmons could lower that number. 

Where is the link to our spreadsheet showing the numbers at each position?

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls