Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

28 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I've had lunch with you.  The only serious thing that came out of that was your blood sugar levels after I watched you consume 5 20oz Arnold Palmers.

Ha, no doubt about the blood sugar levels. 

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Is losing by 20 really competitive?

I actually went back and looked and it was almost 30 points. But hey, there were multiple D-1 guys on the field, mostly for Texas City, and a number of other guys getting recruiting by smaller schools, me included, so it wouldn't have been a total waste of your time in a time machine, Roma.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha, no doubt about the blood sugar levels. 

I actually went back and looked and it was almost 30 points. But hey, there were multiple D-1 guys on the field, mostly for Texas City, and a number of other guys getting recruiting by smaller schools, me included, so it wouldn't have been a total waste of your time in a time machine, Roma.

Actually, I envy the stories. I had three knee injuries and two operations freshman-junior years all before the season started. This is back before orthoscopy when they used flint for the incision. I was big and ran a 4.8 forty as a freshman. Might have been pretty good. 

I didn't have to be talked out of going out for senior year. I wasn't getting Namath money, and all the sprains and operations hurt. Still, would have been nice to play DL in a couple of varsity games.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It looks like LSU has locked down their state this year.

My hope is that they take a step back this season. They won a ton of really close games last year, those can easily go the other way when they run it back. 

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is this guy a possibility?  LSU just got its third CB commit and sixth DB overall.  OVing next weekend.

https://247sports.com/player/wardell-mack-46130473/

Allegedly, Mack is a take for either Texas or LSU no matter what and he probably also is a take in basketball for legitimate playing time for either school, provided that he'd be on a football scholarship.

(Some positive info on Jordan Washington, plus a new TE offer possibility (Gavin Hoffman).)

The Huddle: What's next for TE recruiting after Ryner Swanson's commitment to BYU?

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: What's next for TE recruiting after Ryner Swanson's commitment to BYU?

Hudson Standish

Laguna Beach (CA) tight end Ryner Swanson committed to BYU earlier today, picking the Cougars over both Texas and Oregon. Horns247 reported last night that sources across the country felt like BYU would be the destination, but one nugget I found interesting was one source's read that Texas finished in third behind Oregon for Swanson. After Swanson's OV we made it clear that Texas did a great job, but the overall feeling was that Swanson's family preferred BYU. Swanson also plans to take a two-year LDS mission after his freshman year of college, which would have been an interesting challenge to navigate while constructing the TE room.

The obvious answer is the only other tight end with an official visit scheduled in Langham Creek's Jordan Washington. Jordan and I have both remained confident in our Texas crystal ball picks even though Texas A&M turned up the heat in this recruitment after hosting Washington on an official visit earlier this month. Ahead of his official visit this weekend to Texas, Texas QB commit Trey Owens has been in contact with Washington according to his conversation with Jordan Scruggs.

“Jordan Washington at Langham Creek. They’re [Langham Creek] in our district so I talk to him a lot," said Owens. "I mean any football-related stuff going on in our district we’re always a part of so I've talked to him a lot and have been talking to him a lot."

Confidence remains high on Washington ending up in the Texas class, but one question I've been searching for answers on is if Texas will still look to take two tight ends in the 2024 cycle.

One name to keep an eye on is Overland Park (KS) Blue Valley Northwest tight end Gavin Hoffman who was recently bumped up to an 88 rated high three-star by 247Sports. Hoffman hauled in 39 receptions for 713 yards and 11 touchdowns as a junior, but saw a massive uptick in his recruitment after standout camp performances where he measured in at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds with multiple sub 4.6 40s and a 40+ inch vertical. Hoffman is thought to be high on TE factory Iowa and Missouri, but Tennessee recently jumped into the mix with an offer and it wouldn't shock me if Texas identified him as a late riser worth taking a swing on.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Per Justin Wells after talking to Danny Okoye he said that Okoye called Texas offer his dream offer and we're his dream school. He's a priority for PK as well.

Sounded like a good leader and culture fit too. They mentioned he works a 40 hour job on top of football/training and homeschool. Also something like “he was even friends with the waterboy” which I laughed at. He’s originally from Chicago and seemingly doesn’t have much prior allegiance to the in-state schools. Let’s lock him up (no College Station PD).

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also, what's the deal with the Duncanville Safety K'Davion Dotson?  Are we not after him?  LSU boards think he's not a take now with three Safety's committed.  Lair and Davis ahead of him on the board?  Gipson or Black viewed as a Safety.

Lair and Davis are probably ahead, but also all five of the top of the board are still on the board (Black, Bridges, Gipson, Johnson-Rubell, Mack), so we likely haven't had to move that far down the board.

1 hour ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Lair and Davis are probably ahead, but also all five of the top of the board are still on the board (Black, Bridges, Gipson, Johnson-Rubell, Mack), so we likely haven't had to move that far down the board.

Also, Santana Wilson the DB From AZ to add to those 5. 
we will take 4-5 of those 6 before moving to other options. 

Lsu already has 5-6 DBs committed, im sure 1 could be an Ath playing WR. But they don't have much more DB room in 24. 

edit: name Santana….i think Adrian Wilsons son

thanks texifornia 

Edited by TheContractor

1 minute ago, TheContractor said:

Also, Adrian Wilson the D. From AZ to add to those 5. 

Lsu already has 5-6 DBs committed, im sure 1 could be an Ath playing WR. But they don't have much more DB room in 24. 

Pretty sure you're thinking of Santana Wilson: https://www.on3.com/db/santana-wilson-174649/

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TheContractor said:

Also, Adrian Wilson the D. From AZ to add to those 5. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Santana Wilson: https://www.on3.com/db/santana-wilson-174649/

Tex is right, and I'm pretty sure Wilson is in the second tier of guys on the boars after those top 5.

4 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Sounded like a good leader and culture fit too. They mentioned he works a 40 hour job on top of football/training and homeschool. Also something like “he was even friends with the waterboy” which I laughed at. 

He also brings food to destitute nuns and walks injured baby ducks to help them regain flexibility and mobility.

On 6/15/2023 at 11:33 AM, Vertigo said:

My hope is that they take a step back this season. They won a ton of really close games last year, those can easily go the other way when they run it back. 

we are gonna feel like this every year. We will be going against Lsu for many top kids in Tx and La every single year.  

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls