Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not super close to most details or any of the sausage-making at this point. @RGBIII and @SquishMitten might know more on this question. They also might not be anyone closer to any of it than me, so who knows?

17 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

I just know they're around a lot of the guys and that Hills trains them; that Mulugheta is involved with Hills and Kolective; and that Mulugheta is a UT alum. Didn't know if there was a pipeline situation there (yet?).

No clue on how involved but I know there is dialogue about and around Mulugheta

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The TE that visited last weekend, Mormon Johnny, he really wants to come to Texas. The mom really wants BYU or somewhere else that isn't apparently a den of hedonism like Austin. Moms usually win these.

Simmons is giving LSU the last visit in November and the full opportunity to close him. If LSU can post an NIL number that is within spitting distance of Texas, they're landing him. If someone comes in over the top on this one and offers a package that blows everyone else out of the water, then nevermind for LSU or Texas unless it's one of them doing it.

Miami's pitching wild ass shit to the TB in Florida. It's not only about NIL for him, but it matters a lot.

Livingstone is the jaggeriest jagger who has ever jagged.

Texas thinks it is going to get who it wants on the OL. They are getting a lot of interest and they have a ton of confidence in the interest.

The DL from Oak Forest goes to Georgia. 

If Texas wins 10+ on the field this year, they're signing another top 3-5 class. They are an "it" school if they win because of the combination of NIL, brand, and Sarkisian's staff appeal. Choice is a fucking beast in recruiting. Jackson is getting strong reviews. Let's fucking go, Seven Loss Steve! Get this shit done.

So, just for follow up, this class is about the best case realistic scenario currently, minus Simmons and the high end OOS guys we're after. 21 commits with a 279.54 rating. So we're really not too far off. Just closing on the guys we look good for would be a really good start. 

Top five is usually 290+, top 3 is usually 300+. There's probably around five spots left in the class. Definitely some for OL, probably another IDL and WR, then BPAs. 

image.thumb.png.c6327f668757fed25bb676f74cda3af0.png

So, our best path to a top 3-5 would be Simmons, the OL, and maybe pulling off a random five star or taking some extra guys. Add Simmons and Mormon Johnny = 290.57. Add Daniel Calhoun and Brandon Baker = 301.20. Hearing they're confident about OL is a good sign.

Oh and by the way UGA's class is already at an absurd 278.85 with 17 commits. 

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Shockingly, I have a random insight into this one that I wouldn’t expect through a family member and Grandma LOVES UT and the staff. Idk if mama or gmaw win but granny is all burnt orange

If Grandma wins out and he commits to us, just be sure to thank Armybrat.  That's all I'm going to say about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

(Good SOTU on OL targets.)

The Huddle: Checking in on the six June OL official visitors

Hudson Standish

Spoiler

The Huddle: Checking in on the six June OL official visitors

Hudson Standish

— Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood has done a tremendous job in Austin resetting the OL room from a weakness to a strength in a short amount of time. Five offensive linemen in the 2024 cycle have confirmed official visits in Blake Ivy, Daniel Cruz, Nyier Daniels, Makai Saina, and Daniel Calhoun. The player out of those five that I feel the least confident about the Horns landing at the moment is Calhoun. I checked in with a source from the state of Georgia today and the overall vibe is that the reigning national champion Georgia Bulldogs are going to be incredibly tough to beat.

— Cruz released a top four schools list today of Texas, Ohio State, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. Our feel on this recruitment remains the same, a Texas vs. OSU battle where Texas has the advantage at the moment.

— Horns247 recruiting analyst Hank South mentioned on Tuesday that five-star Mater Dei Brandon Baker was mulling over an official visit to Texas from June 15-17 which has now been confirmed. Texas has always been a school in the mix for the five-star, but I think a few programs are in better spots at the moment. Baker's teammate DeAndre Carter has plans to visit Texas on September 30th for the Kansas game.

— Saina and Ivy both seem to be trending toward the classic in-state recruiting battle of Texas vs. Texas A&M. Sana has already taken his OV to A&M while Ivy will make the trip to College Station this upcoming weekend. Both of the in-state composite four-stars will visit Texas during the last weekend of June.

— Lastly, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic OT Nyier Daniels has a chance to make it back-to-back signees for the Longhorns from the east cost power program. Out of all of the out-of-state offensive linemen that Texas is recruiting in the 2024 cycle, a source informed Horns247 that Daniels would be the most likely addition to the class.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Any chance of a package deal with Baker and Carter? That would be a huge coup.

And btw, that's one hell of an OLine they have at Mater Dei.

That's got to be a pipe dream, right? They are surely going to USC. I wonder if Carter is just using us to drive up his NIL price.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

30 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That's got to be a pipe dream, right? They are surely going to USC. I wonder if Carter is just using us to drive up his NIL price.

Baker hasn’t really visited USC much recently and he said so on his ON3 interview..  It seems like it’s Texas Oregon at this.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Saw that Ory Williams is no longer taking an OV?  Cruz and Saina are probably the only two in-state OL the staff would take a commitment from right now.

Seems like it. The OT's will probably come from OOS (Nyier Daniels and keep chasing the unicorns like Calhoun/Brandon Baker)

There is really no point now to take marginal OL guys. Texas has rebuilt its OL depth in the last 2 classes and with the portal Sarkisian and Flood should only be chasing top guys. I think in 2 years once Banks goes in the Top 10, OL recruiting is going to be crazy. Better than peak Brown with a real OL coach and playing in a real pro system.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

There is really no point now to take marginal OL guys. Texas has rebuilt its OL depth in the last 2 classes and with the portal Sarkisian and Flood should only be chasing top guys. I think in 2 years once Banks goes in the Top 10, OL recruiting is going to be crazy. Better than peak Brown with a real OL coach and playing in a real pro system.

You cant think like that. You still have to bring in 3-5 every year. Texas cant go back to the days, where they can not field a 2 deep of scholarship OL for the spring game. Not saying take jags, but you still need to hit the numbers. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You cant think like that. You still have to bring in 3-5 every year. Texas cant go back to the days, where they can not field a 2 deep of scholarship OL for the spring game. Not saying take jags, but you still need to hit the numbers. 

We lead for Cruz, Saina, and Daniels. That's your 3 right there and we are chasing two of the OT prospects in the country. If you don't get Calhoun or Baker, then those 1st 3 are a fine class, considering Texas has taken 12 OL in the last 2 classes.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

We lead for Cruz, Saina, and Daniels. That's your 3 right there and we are chasing two of the OT prospects in the country. If you don't get Calhoun or Baker, then those 1st 3 are a fine class, considering Texas has taken 12 OL in the last 2 classes.

Probably need another OT.. It has been pretty heavy on the interior that last 2 classes. Taking a guy similar to Goosby in this class is fine by me.

• Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls