Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

You need to take at least 3 on the interior. There is a chance 3 are gone after this year. Texas only took 1 last year, so 3 seems like the minimum to me. On the edge, Texas has Sorrell and bunch of question marks. I am happy to throw numbers at those spots (4), until the pups show a pulse. Landing someone like Colin Simmons could lower that number. 

Agree 100%, i would even take 4 interior DTs but we should save a spot for the portal to get someone with experience so they can play quality snaps in 24. So HS 3 DTs unless someone amazing like McKinley wants in at the end after we have a great 2023 season on the field. 

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

Where is the link to our spreadsheet showing the numbers at each position?

Dont have a spreadsheet but here are the 3 people that will have to play in 2024

Trill Carter - Sr

Aaron Bryant - 3rd years Sophomore

Sydir Mitchell - 2nd year likely Sophomore

more than likely Alfred Collins and Byron Murphy will be gone. Broughten should be out or not good enough to give quality snaps. Zach Swanson- who knows. 

We have 3 guys we can rely on, need 2 more for sure(1 portal , 1 True Fr) assuming no injuries. DT will be thin in 2024 regardless, need 1 portal guy to play a decent amount. 

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO they will load up at all positions across the defensive front this cycle. 

Apparently Danny Okoye plays wide receiver for his home school 7on7 team in Oklahoma at 6'5 230. Wells is going to watch his 7on7 game tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Damn, someone really decided their mascot was going to be the fucking Zebras? What the fuck? That's gotta be one of the least intimidating mascots I've ever seen.

Well the 6’5” black dude probably helps with the intimidation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Damn, someone really decided their mascot was going to be the fucking Zebras? What the fuck? That's gotta be one of the least intimidating mascots I've ever seen.

My brother's high schools mascot was the Zebras. They were pretty bad at sports.

• Haha 2

Dont have a spreadsheet but here are the 3 people that will have to play in 2024
Trill Carter - Sr
more than likely Alfred Collins and Byron Murphy will be gone. Broughten should be out or not good enough to give quality snaps. Zach Swanson- who knows. 
We have 3 guys we can rely on, need 2 more for sure(1 portal , 1 True Fr) assuming no injuries. DT will be thin in 2024 regardless, need 1 portal guy to play a decent amount. 

We might need more than that.

I think we need to sign 3-4 to play on the inside, and add an xer or two for 24.

2 @ LB
3-4 @ Buck/ Jack with a xfer for 24.

36 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

16 minutes ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

Grandview Zebras won back to back 3A state championships in football in 2018 and 2019. They have a good program. 

Screenshot_20230613_195249_Chrome.jpg.34c8f550e9abec83c83ba51452887ecc.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheContractor said:

Trill Carter - Sr

I think one of Murphy/Collins returns.  Could play out like Sweat this past season.  One of them isn't going to start like Sweat last year and could come back in 24 to start/improve draft status.

40 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

We might need more than that.

I think we need to sign 3-4 to play on the inside, and add an xer or two for 24.

2 @ LB
3-4 @ Buck/ Jack with a xfer for 24.

That maybe what you want but we don’t have that many numbers to give at this time. 3 Hs DTs. (4 high level DTs might not come anyway). Definitely 1 portal DT no matter what, would not be mad if they went for 2(assuming Murphy and Collins leave) but it’s hard to find quality DTs. 

Edited by TheContractor

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think one of Murphy/Collins returns.  Could play out like Sweat this past season.  One of them isn't going to start like Sweat last year and could come back in 24 to start/improve draft status.

If it is Collins who returns, so what, it would be a avg/below avg player returning. If he is half decent he will go pro after this year. Been waiting for 3 years for him to put it together. 

2 Top 30 Edge guys in 24 …. 1 lives in Duncanville less than 200 miles away…. 1 goes to Bijans high school…edge class wrapped up…. send Bo to Duncanville with NIL… get Bijan to visit his old high school in the Lambo.

So with Hampton, I know that he is a headcase that has immaturity issues and thats why we backed off. If there are other reasons, early riser who had others catch up, etc., let me know. But if that is the case, why does he continue to get recruited by Bama and Texas and seemingly have the option to commit. There seems to be some disconnect here that I don't understand. Is it just a week ATH class and the schools think they can get him on the right path once here? Thanks.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, KennyPowders said:

So with Hampton, I know that he is a headcase that has immaturity issues and thats why we backed off. If there are other reasons, early riser who had others catch up, etc., let me know. But if that is the case, why does he continue to get recruited by Bama and Texas and seemingly have the option to commit. There seems to be some disconnect here that I don't understand. Is it just a week ATH class and the schools think they can get him on the right path once here? Thanks.

He has great physical/athletic evaluations but his mental evaluation is HUGE red flag. With everything in sports the former kind of overtakes the latter.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

He has great physical/athletic evaluations but his mental evaluation is HUGE red flag. With everything in sports the former kind of overtakes the latter.

Ok, so I was in the ballpark. The coaches clearly think they can handle him once on campus.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry/Justin mentioned that they're not sure if our staffs timeline matches up with Aeryn's commitment timeline....

AKA his red flags mean the staff want to keep him warm and see how things shake out with the roster. Analyze said roster and assess if said potential juice is worth the squeeze. 

• Fuck You 1

I hope that things work out for Hampton.  He's obviously got an unsteady home life.  He needs a steadying influence.  Maybe that could be at Texas.  Right now kids seem to like it here.

The best thing for him might be to come here. Keep his head down. Say yes sir and do everything the staff says.

Im pulling for him and hope his red flags aren't too hard to overcome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That maybe what you want but we don’t have that many numbers to give at this time. 3 Hs DTs. (4 high level DTs might not come anyway). Definitely 1 portal DT no matter what, would not be mad if they went for 2(assuming Murphy and Collins leave) but it’s hard to find quality DTs. 

So you’re saying 3+2 and I’m saying 3-4 + 1-2. I think we’re saying the same thing.

We should have the room - and we’re going to need all that beef.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

I was at a playoff game in the Alamodome about 15 years ago and the game before us was New Braunfels High vs Alamo Heights

The Unicorns vs the Mules.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It's clear some of y'all have never heard of the Itasca Wampus Cats.

There are some great Texas HS mascot names out there.

Mason Punchers that play in the Puncherdome is probably my favorite.

The best paired name is Winters Blizzards.

Fuck Texas City, their mascot killed Steve Irwin :(

3 hours ago, KennyPowders said:

I'm not even sure either school would take his commitment.  Players that don't have it from the mental evaluation stand point have a very high bust ratio.  I'm guessing the staff wants to take a swing at Stone, Wingo, and Hudson before moving to back up options. 

Edited by victory88

16 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

They should play the Hutto Hippos. Zebras vs Hippos. What a game that would be.

16 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

They should play the Hutto Hippos. Zebras vs Hippos. What a game that would be.

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls