2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

And major lulz at any Astros fans thinking Correa did something by something by homering down 5. Compare that to A-Rod igniting a comeback win at Fenway by hitting a bomb to center after getting thrown at by Dempster. That’s what a fuck you moment looks like. 

It would have been a lot cooler if A-Rod had hit it off of Anthony Bosch

Dumb mother fucker. 

Oakland A’s outfielder Ramon Laureano has been suspended for 80 games for violating MLB‘s PED policy, it was announced today. Laureano tested positive for Nandrolone, a banned substance.

The 27 year old Laureano has a 760 OPS this season and has been the team’s primary center fielder. The looming suspension, which presumably had been handed down some time ago and was abated pending the appeals process, likely influenced the decision of the A’s to acquire Starling Marte at the trade deadline, as Marte now will essentially replace Laureano for the A’s.

Laureano will be suspended the remainder of this season and will finish his suspension in 2022. He will also be ineligible for the playoffs.

Yankees down a run in the 10th. Rizzo & judge fail miserably to bring a run in, Stanton of all people ties it with a single. Gallo ends the threat with a strikeout, no surprise there though. Don’t know if he has options left but he needs time in AAA, he’s hopelessly lost at the plate right now. 

On to the 11th with the dregs of our bullpen. Fuck you Boone.

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Gallo ends the threat with a strikeout, no surprise there though. Don’t know if he has options left but he needs time in AAA, he’s hopelessly lost at the plate right now. 

He's going to have a hard time winning games with 3 run shots and pinch running home on walkoff singles in the minors but go for it.

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Gallo ends the threat with a strikeout, no surprise there though. Don’t know if he has options left but he needs time in AAA, he’s hopelessly lost at the plate right now.

in 8 games for NYY he has four doubles, a bomb, five walks, and 13 k's. that's what Joey Gallo does. i know that he was an unknown commodity when he joined NYY, so it's understandable that you didn't know that, but just fyi. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

in 8 games for NYY he has four doubles, a bomb, five walks, and 13 k's. that's what Joey Gallo does. i know that he was an unknown commodity when he joined NYY, so it's understandable that you didn't know that, but just fyi. 

Tbf - his BA and BBs have been weak - but he's still posting close to a .700 OPS. (and like I said - he pinch ran the winning run in last night)

But the idea that they are going to send one of the best, 30? players in the MLB to the minors in August in the middle of a tight fucking playoff race is... Helobiousesque? 

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Helobious said:

Joey Gallo, 2021: 135 wRC+, 3.5 WAR

He needs time in AAA? This is just about the best version of Joey Gallo there is. Typically, all-star players in the prime of their careers aren't sent to AAA after a subpar week, because absolutely everyone has subpar weeks. 

I can never tell if you're serious though. 

I think he’s in like a 10 for 80 stretch at the plate right now, little bit more than a “subpar week”. He’s also hitting .210 on the entire season. I always knew he had serious power, just didn’t realize he was this boom or bust.  Fucker can really play some defense though I’ll give him that.  

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yankees down a run in the 10th. Rizzo & judge fail miserably to bring a run in, Stanton of all people ties it with a single. Gallo ends the threat with a strikeout, no surprise there though. Don’t know if he has options left but he needs time in AAA, he’s hopelessly lost at the plate right now. 

On to the 11th with the dregs of our bullpen. Fuck you Boone.

If the Dodgers aren’t sending Bellinger down, no way Gallo goes down.  And just the idea is comical.

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think he’s in like a 10 for 80 stretch at the plate right now, little bit more than a “subpar week”. He’s also hitting .210 on the entire season. I always knew he had serious power, just didn’t realize he was this boom or bust.  Fucker can really play some defense though I’ll give him that.  

That isn’t a slump. His lifetime BA is .210. Also, lulz at ztejas claim that he’s a top 30 player in baseball. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Jebus... and I thought Schilling was the dude who had most torpedoed his HoF chances...

An autistic man accused longtime major league player Omar Vizquel of sexual harassment while he was managing a Chicago White Sox minor league affiliate, alleging in a civil lawsuit filed this week that Vizquel had exposed his penis multiple times and forced the man to clean his back while Vizquel showered.

The man, whose name ESPN is withholding because the allegations involve sexual misconduct, was a bat boy for the Birmingham Barons, the White Sox's Double-A affiliate, when Vizquel managed the team in 2019. The lawsuit details alleged "sexually aggressive behavior" that included "at least five occasions" in which "Vizquel deliberately exposed his erect or partially erect penis" to the man.

On Aug. 22, 2019, according to the lawsuit, Vizquel emerged naked from a shower, handed the man a bar of soap and said: "Wash my damn back!" The man, "humiliated, intimidated, and frightened of what would happen if he disobeyed ... complied with Vizquel's demand," according to the complaint. Afterward, the complaint continues, multiple Barons staff members -- including a clubhouse manager who, upon the man's hiring, allegedly told him: "Everything that happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse" -- laughed when told he had washed Vizquel's back.

The lawsuit, filed by the 25-year-old man in U.S. District Court in Alabama and first reported by Conduct Detrimental, accuses the White Sox and Barons of violating the Americans With Disabilities Act and seeks back pay and damages.

In a statement, the White Sox said: "After first learning of an alleged incident in late August 2019, the Chicago White Sox conducted an internal investigation that resulted in the termination of the organization's relationship with Omar Vizquel. Because this is active litigation, at this time the White Sox will not comment further regarding the allegations included in this lawsuit."

Vizquel, 54, was accused last year by his wife, Blanca, of multiple instances of physical abuse. He was arrested once but not charged. Vizquel has denied abusing his wife, who initiated divorce proceedings last year. Major League Baseball has acknowledged investigating Vizquel's personal and professional conduct, though he has not been employed by an organization since the White Sox fired him. The investigation remains open, according to a source.

Attempts to reach Vizquel through his agent were unsuccessful.

Vizquel was fired last week as manager of the Tijuana Bulls in the Mexican Baseball League after two seasons.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Jebus... and I thought Schilling was the dude who had most torpedoed his HoF chances...

Yikes. 

From a purely baseball perspective, I don't get why Vizquel is even in the conversation as a HOFer. He wasn't a good offensive player. His 2,877 hits came across 24 seasons. His career OPS+ was 82. I admire the longevity but that doesn't make one a HOFer. 

And yeah, he was a good defensive player, but he wasn't in the league of, say, Ozzie Smith (nor was he in Ozzie's class as an offensive player). And I realize that defensive metrics are imperfect, but they'd have to really undervalue his defense for him to even be close to a HOF-caliber player. 

Vizquel finished with 46 bWAR and 43 fWAR...over 24 seasons. I don't see how he is a serious consideration. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

That isn’t a slump. His lifetime BA is .210. Also, lulz at ztejas claim that he’s a top 30 player in baseball. 

That wasn't my claim but you can barely read sometimes. I included a question mark because I was just trying to ball-park it. He's 10th in the AL in WAR right now for all players - 6th for position players. And in 2019 he missed a ton of time but was flirting with a 1.000 OPS in 70 games.

So yeah, maybe you put him 38th or 43rd or whatever but 30ish is pretty fucking close.

14 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

He didn’t pinch-run last night, he was the zombie runner. 

Thanks. That makes much more sense. Fucking Manfred. 

Edited by ztejas

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Cody Bellinger: 

.171 BA, .269 OBP, .293 SLG, .562 OPS

Julio Urias:

.209 BA, .209 OBP, .256 SLG, .465 OPS

now THAT is someone who's hopelessly lost at the plate.

He did hit one out tonight, but yeah, what a mess.

Zack Wheeler just went 9 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 0 ER and 11 Ks in Roy Halladay's jersey retirement game. He retired 22 consecutive batters at one point. First Phillies pitcher to do so since... Halladay threw a perfect game in 2010.

I'm not superstitious but I do believe in baseball. 

28 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Damn a lot of people cheering that cheater George Springer's homer today in Toronto

It’s the old “He might be a cheater but he’s our cheater” syndrome.  And that’s ok. I feel the same way. 

Edited by TonyTexas

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sick. The amount of time it took from the time it hit his glove while on his belly to out of his hand was lightening fast.

That and the fact that he skipped it perfectly. 

I mean he skipped it about as close to the mound as 1B and put it right where it needed to be for the 1Bman.

Edited by ztejas