2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Or you could have gone 17-2 against them like the Giants did, instead of 16-3.

and gone 10-9 against the Giants instead of 9-10.

and then boom, you’re 1 game up.

The Dodgers did well.  The Giants just did better.  Hats off.

26 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Stunned they were able to keep it up.  I was convinced they would hit a roadblock,  they just kept winning.  

You and just about every other baseball fan. I know I sure thought the same.

I haven’t followed them all that closely this year so the following probably isn’t all that much news to NL West fans but, they are 31-16 in one run games, or a .660 winning percentage. Guess what their overall winning percentage is?

Dodgers are 24-24.

Reminds me of the Rangers the last time someone other than the Astros won the AL West (ignoring 60 game seasons for the moment).

in 2016, Rangers went an absurd 36-11, .766, in one run games. Kept waiting and waiting all year for that to balance out and it never did….well until the LDS. 10-1, 5-3, 7-6. Blue Jays sweep

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, UTexasFight said:

You and just about every other baseball fan. I know I sure thought the same.

I haven’t followed them all that closely this year so the following probably isn’t all that much news to NL West fans but, they are 31-16 in one run games, or a .660 winning percentage. Guess what their overall winning percentage is?

Dodgers are 24-24.

Reminds me of the Rangers the last time someone other than the Astros won the AL West (ignoring 60 game seasons for the moment).

in 2016, Rangers went an absurd 36-11, .766, in one run games. Kept waiting and waiting all year for that to balance out and it never did….well until the LDS. 10-1, 5-3, 7-6. Blue Jays sweep

Dodgers have won 100+ games in 3 of the last 5 years.  They should have run away with this.  But damn if every Giant didn’t have a career year all at the same time.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Welcome to October.

but I’m not penciling them in just yet.

I really don’t like the Dodgers… which means they’ll probably sweep the Brewers and Giants drop 2 of 3 against the Padres for identical 106-56 records

And Scherzer vs Alex Wood on Monday for the division title.

That's what I'm rooting for.  Especially this one, but anything that causes games to be played Monday makes me happy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WBT said:

Jays win 6-4.  89-71.

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Red Sox win 4-2.  90-70.

Yankees lose 4-3.  91-69.

Mariners lose 2-1.  89-71.

Tough loss, not scoring after a leadoff triple in the 7th and leadoff double in the 9th.

The Giants won and the magic number is down to 1.  Dodgers are leading though.

Friday represented yet another incredible benchmark for the Giants, who earned their 106th win of the year to match the 1904 New York Giants -- led by a trio of Hall of Famers in Christy Mathewson, Joe McGinnity and Roger Bresnahan -- for the most wins in a single season in franchise history.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, WBT said:

Mariners lose 2-1.  89-71.

Tough loss, not scoring after a leadoff triple in the 7th and leadoff double in the 9th.

Not great, but as a Mariners fan seeing the sold out crowd on TV was great and the atmosphere as close to playoff baseball as I can get with this team.  Fingers crossed for the next two days.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This WC race continues to be bananas.

If today's first 2 games hold:

Yankees - 91-70

Sox - 90-70

Jays - 90-71

Mariners - 89-71

If Boston wins today and Toronto wins tomorrow I'm pretty sure a tiebreaker game will be guaranteed. 

There is a real possibility of a 3 or 4 team tie. Here’s how it works

Four teams tie for both wild cards: Team A plays Team B, and Team C plays Team D. The winners of those two games meet in the AL Wild Card Game. Three teams tie for both wild cards: Game 1: Team B at Team A, winner gets wild card; Game 2: Team C at loser of Game 1, winner gets remaining wild card.

Team with best H2H against all teams involved choose their designation. 

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

There is a real possibility of a 3 or 4 team tie. Here’s how it works

Four teams tie for both wild cards: Team A plays Team B, and Team C plays Team D. The winners of those two games meet in the AL Wild Card Game. Three teams tie for both wild cards: Game 1: Team B at Team A, winner gets wild card; Game 2: Team C at loser of Game 1, winner gets remaining wild card.

Team with best H2H against all teams involved choose their designation. 

What's the scenario if 3 teams tie for 2? Or 1? That seems more likely.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

What's the scenario if 3 teams tie for 2? Or 1? That seems more likely.

In a 3 way tie for 1,  it would be the same 3-team scenario as detailed above. 

3 way tie for 2 goes like this

Three teams tie for one wild card: Teams A, B and C are assigned as noted above and they play as noted above -- i.e., B at A, followed by the winner of A-B at home against C with the bid at stake.

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

In a 3 way tie for 1,  it would be the same 3-team scenario as detailed above. 

3 way tie for 2 goes like this

Three teams tie for one wild card: Teams A, B and C are assigned as noted above and they play as noted above -- i.e., B at A, followed by the winner of A-B at home against C with the bid at stake.

I'm stupid. Only read half your post. Thanks.

Less than 24 hrs to go in the regular season and we still have the distinct possibility of a four way wild card knife fight in the AL and a game 163 between two 106 win teams in the NL West, one of whom will then find themselves in a do or die wild card game.  This. Is. AWESOME.  

• Hook 'Em 1