2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

49 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

holy shit! welp, that settles it then. 🙄 Vladdy may very well win the triple crown, and he's led his team to a 13-1 record in September and currently has them in the playoffs. meanwhile Ohtani's team won't finish over .500 and will miss out on the playoffs. don't act like this MVP race, which is probably the closest race in 80 years since Joe DiMaggio vs Ted Williams, isn't a complete toss up at this point "because war".

btw, DiMaggio won MVP in 1941 despite being 1.0 behind Williams in war (zomg no way), and despite Williams batting .406 with a 1.287 OPS. with margins this fine, leading your team to wins/postseason play matters.

Lol. He currently has them tied for a 2nd wild card spot. But sure. By that logic Trout should have 0 MVPs, since he never takes LAA to the playoffs either. Ohtani is doing shit this year the game hasn’t seen since Babe Ruth was around. We’ve seen triple crowns before, we’ve seen fat dudes rack up lots of hits & homers, Vladdy is having a great year but it’s nothing truly special. His team isn’t even remotely close to winning their own division. You wanna talk about leading your team to the playoffs, well then Judge has the Yankees tied with the Blue jays. They’d be nowhere without him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Lol. He currently has them tied for a 2nd wild card spot. But sure. By that logic Trout should have 0 MVPs, since he never takes LAA to the playoffs either. Ohtani is doing shit this year the game hasn’t seen since Babe Ruth was around. We’ve seen triple crowns before, we’ve seen fat dudes rack up lots of hits & homers, Vladdy is having a great year but it’s nothing truly special. His team isn’t even remotely close to winning their own division. You wanna talk about leading your team to the playoffs, well then Judge has the Yankees tied with the Blue jays. They’d be nowhere without him. 

lol, so now the triple crown is nothing special. okie dokie. if Vladdy wins the TC and leads his team to the playoffs then he's getting my vote and i won't even have to think twice about it. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, so now the triple crown is nothing special. okie dokie. if Vladdy wins the TC and leads his team to the playoffs then he's getting my vote and i won't even have to think twice about it. 

Didn’t say it’s not special, just that it’s not as special as a pitcher (and a good one at that) leading the league in homers. Not even close. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

also, Scherzer needs to get every single first place vote for the Cy Young, barring a sudden collapse in his final three starts. 

Yeah, Buehler looked like it was all his, but Scherzer is undefeated with a 0.88 ERA since coming over.  May go down as the greatest deadline pitching pickup ever.

Edited by Sbbruin

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, Buehler looked like it was all his, but Scherzer is undefeated with a 0.88 ERA since coming over.  May go down as the greatest deadline pitching pickup ever.

It might be. Randy Johnson's 10-1, 1.28 ERA in the steroid craze was pretty nice but Scherzer has been ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It might be. Randy Johnson's 10-1, 1.28 ERA in the steroid craze was pretty nice but Scherzer has been ridiculous.

That's the other one I was thinking of.  But there's more to be played for Scherzer, so we shall see.  If it looks like we are destined for the WC, we can line him up for the 1 game and I would be pretty confident.  Then we could still go with Buehler to start game 1 against the Giants.  Which would be the first time ever the LA Dodgers and SF Giants ever met in the playoffs.

23 hours ago, slorch said:

Is the Hernandez hate for Carter just a bit?  If Hernandez hated you, was that more of an endorsement? I mean, I know who the fuck I liked more as a fan during those days and it wasn't the puto at 1st base.

The story of Carter telling Dykstra, ever so gently, to chill out at the hotel was pretty good. Wonder if Dykstra and Bonaduce ever partied together just to fuck with people...

Didn’t realize this shit was 4 parts at the time, but it’s real damn good so far. Highly, highly recommended for non-trolls that enjoy MLB. 

5 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Dodgers are 31-10 (.756) since the start of play July 31. They gained a half game on the Giants (31-11, .738) in that time.

Going to be an interesting 15-game stretch run with Kershaw back in the rotation, along with Gonsolin, especially if the bats are actually waking up. 

And Kershaw will be the 4th starter in the playoffs.  So IF we end up in the WC, we can still go Buehler, Urias, and Kershaw against the Giants, or Scherzer on short rest.

We'll really see how the Giants handle pressure down the stretch now with LA getting healthy.   They may be just one game up after today.   Incredibly resilient team especially with the ability they've shown to come back in games, especially late innings, to win.   Can they get across the finish line?  Fixing to see. 

So assuming the Dodgers win 100 games, which they will, they will have AVERAGED 100 wins under Dave Roberts 6 seasons.  The Padres, Rockies, Marlins, Blue Jays, Rays, Montreal/Washington, and the Rangers have NEVER won 100 games.  The Pirates haven't done it since 1909 and the White Sox since 1917.  Yes, the end game is to win it all, but still pretty damn impressive.

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

And Kershaw will be the 4th starter in the playoffs.  So IF we end up in the WC, we can still go Buehler, Urias, and Kershaw against the Giants, or Scherzer on short rest.

If the cards get the final WC spot I'd really appreciate it if you start Kershaw instead. Thanks! 

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Doyle Alexander to the Tigers in 88(?), and maybe DQed for being before the trade deadline, but Rick Sutcliffe to the Cubs in '84

Sabathia to the Brewers though it was early July.

Sabathia would only spend that half of the season with the Brewers, but he would be unstoppable, collecting an 11-2 record, with a 1.65 ERA and 128 strikeouts. 

53 minutes ago, WBT said:

The Giants with a chance to go 2 up on the Dodgers just gave up a 3-run go ahead homer to d'Arnaud in the top of the 9th.

Finally jumping on board and watching a fair amount of Giants baseball this week

they got a pinch hit home run with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the bottom of the 9th.

neither team scores in the 10th. Braves don’t score in the top of the 11th.

giants load the bases in the bottom of the 11th. call on Gausman to pinch hit because they are out of position players. comes up with his first career sac fly 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, txhorns said:

Fuck Manny Machado.  I hope he gets raped by 100 donkeys.  He is right in this altercation though.

Yeah, we had NO interest in resigning him after picking him up at the trade deadline.  He was a rental, and apparently no one really like him in the clubhouse.

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, we had NO interest in resigning him after picking him up at the trade deadline.  He was a rental, and apparently no one really like him in the clubhouse.

He also ended Pedroia's career because he's a dirty ass bitch who deserves to be forced to choke on a rusty sword.

• Haha 1