Jump to content

UT/other school recent grad salaries


blacklab

Recommended Posts

@Lobo and a few others were discussing in the kid at UT thread and lobo suggested we start a thread here, which I thought was a good idea.

Three years ago when I had a ton of computer science interns programming for me they all got offers of $60-$70k to start and the ones I've stayed in touch with are making $120k by now.

Mainly curious about recent biz school grads and what they are getting now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Starting salaries for EE/CS folk, at least for those who headed west, will generally be 100-120k with total comp getting into the 150-250k range. If they stay in Texas, I think 70-100k with total comp 100-130k is probably the norm, but tbh most people I knew headed to CA/WA.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 3:33 AM, TheFlyingBoat said:

Starting salaries for EE/CS folk, at least for those who headed west, will generally be 100-120k with total comp getting into the 150-250k range. If they stay in Texas, I think 70-100k with total comp 100-130k is probably the norm, but tbh most people I knew headed to CA/WA.

Seems kinda high.  But I'm not hating.  Things are good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 2:33 AM, TheFlyingBoat said:

Starting salaries for EE/CS folk, at least for those who headed west, will generally be 100-120k with total comp getting into the 150-250k range. If they stay in Texas, I think 70-100k with total comp 100-130k is probably the norm, but tbh most people I knew headed to CA/WA.

Regarding CS folks this seems pretty accurate. I would say that the Texas range is right for DFW and Austin. Those that go out West have to live like poors for awhile even with those higher salaries.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Regarding CS folks this seems pretty accurate. I would say that the Texas range is right for DFW and Austin. Those that go out West have to live like poors for awhile even with those higher salaries.

 

No one who heads out West feels like a poor when they make 200k+ their first year out of college lol. Look at their insta stories and you'll see them living lavishly if they are complaining about a lack of savings (many trips to Japan/Korea/Taiwan + monthly trips to French Laundry/Quince/Atelier Crenn/Benu/SingleThread and biweekly trips to places like Chez Panisse or Zuni or whatever else)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

No one who heads out West feels like a poor when they make 200k+ their first year out of college lol. Look at their insta stories and you'll see them living lavishly if they are complaining about a lack of savings (many trips to Japan/Korea/Taiwan + monthly trips to French Laundry/Quince/Atelier Crenn/Benu/SingleThread and biweekly trips to places like Chez Panisse or Zuni or whatever else)

By out West do you mean Arizona?

200k is not going to cover living expenses in Silicon Valley to where you can afford to take monthly international trips.

You are buying into someone's Instagram bullshit if you believe that story.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

By out West do you mean Arizona?

200k is not going to cover living expenses in Silicon Valley to where you can afford to take monthly international trips.

You are buying into someone's Instagram bullshit if you believe that story.

 

I said many trips, not monthly. The monthly trips was in reference to 3 Michelin Star restaurants. Pre-COVID in one year I think I took a month long trip through Asia, a two week trip to India, and then 14 round trip domestic trips (I choose to fly domestically more than most of my fellow techie friends since I a) love America more than them, b) was a Texas football season ticket holder pre-COVID despite living in California (don't worry, I made sure someone went in my stead when I couldn't make it), c) love America more than them) all while managing to afford eating quite nicely. This is in California. California is expensive but nowhere near as expensive as Texans like to make it out to be.

 

Also no one who can afford to live somewhere else lives in Arizona. Arizona has to be among the worst places west of the Mississippi to live.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, F250 said:

By out West do you mean Arizona?

200k is not going to cover living expenses in Silicon Valley to where you can afford to take monthly international trips.

You are buying into someone's Instagram bullshit if you believe that story.

 

lol wut yes it is. Your schedule would be more of an obstacle to a monthly international trip than money, though as already pointed out the post didn't say monthly

Let's say they lose a full half that paycheck to taxes, health insurance, student loan payment, whatever. That's wildly conservative, for argument's sake.

You're still netting $100k. You can cover $3,500 month in housing expense (also wildly inflated for Silicon Valley) and spend another $1,500 per month on groceries, utilities, and transportation (also wildly inflated), and that is still only $60k of your $100k net income. You still have over $3k per month of disposable income.

$200k is a fuckload of money for a single person with no kids. Doesn't matter where you live. That's well off in high COL areas and one percenter territory everywhere else. Now how many are actually making that out of school? Probably not many.

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Yeah, I just followed gmr’s math, adjusted down for Texas cost of living, and am wondering where the fuck all our money is...

Money is on a sliding scale, the more you make the more you spend. That goes by multiples for wives. 20 years ago I started at $27k in the accounting world. If I had started in the low 6 figures, I would probably be dead or unemployed at this point. I would have had a fun run, but my ass would have been in Vegas, at the beach, in the mountains, etc instead of working.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

lol wut yes it is. Your schedule would be more of an obstacle to a monthly international trip than money, though as already pointed out the post didn't say monthly

Let's say they lose a full half that paycheck to taxes, health insurance, student loan payment, whatever. That's wildly conservative, for argument's sake.

You're still netting $100k. You can cover $3,500 month in housing expense (also wildly inflated for Silicon Valley) and spend another $1,500 per month on groceries, utilities, and transportation (also wildly inflated), and that is still only $60k of your $100k net income. You still have over $3k per month of disposable income.

$200k is a fuckload of money for a single person with no kids. Doesn't matter where you live. That's well off in high COL areas and one percenter territory everywhere else. Now how many are actually making that out of school? Probably not many.

 

 

I misread that post as monthly trips overseas.

My original comment wasn't for 200k salaries because that is unrealistic for new college graduates. Yes, new college graduates are making 6 figures in Silicon Valley but they are not pulling 200k. Still, even with 6 figures you ain't living large out there pre-covid. There is a reason people are bailing now that remote is opening up jobs outside of the Bay area.

I have several direct reports that do pull over 200k but have to live in places like Sacramento and Stockton that would commute a couple times a week precovid but are now moving East now that they are 100% remote. It's fucking expensive and there is a affordable housing shortage. Which may finally be resolved with the current Bay area exodus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I should add that it isn't unrealistic to make 200k within a couple of years out of college in the bay area. You just have to be skilled and grind through the first 18 to 24 months. Most people are coming in out of college and doing the churn and burn for a few months and then bailing for higher pay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, F250 said:

I should add that it isn't unrealistic to make 200k within a couple of years out of college in the bay area. You just have to be skilled and grind through the first 18 to 24 months. Most people are coming in out of college and doing the churn and burn for a few months and then bailing for higher pay.

200k annualized over first many years, when their big tech RSUs vest.  theyre def not getting access to a gross 200k their first or second year unless selling fentanyl on the side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

200k annualized over first many years, when their big tech RSUs vest.  theyre def not getting access to a gross 200k their first or second year unless selling fentanyl on the side.

Yeah, total compensation (base, bonus, RSU/years vested, etc...)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm three years out of Rice (finished in 12/2017) and was an econ major who didn't have the grades for MBB so I went into CPG:

Starting Salary of 65k @ large publicly traded CPG company (think KO, PEP, PG) as a junior financial analyst in DFW

18 months in was promoted to a financial analyst position for same company... Salary bump to 77k in greater NYC.

Left company after two years for a different large CPG company, this one privately held... Salary bump to 96k in a senior strategy analyst role in greater NYC.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RiceOwl said:

I'm three years out of Rice (finished in 12/2017) and was an econ major who didn't have the grades for MBB so I went into CPG:

Starting Salary of 65k @ large publicly traded CPG company (think KO, PEP, PG) as a junior financial analyst in DFW

18 months in was promoted to a financial analyst position for same company... Salary bump to 77k in greater NYC.

Left company after two years for a different large CPG company, this one privately held... Salary bump to 96k in a senior strategy analyst role in greater NYC.

 

 

1). MBB doesn't really hire undergrad econ majors and especially not from non-targets like Rice unless you are purely back-office and not on a customer facing track, no offense. Unless you are talking about MBA/Jones, then maybe.

2). Analyst roles are brutally underpaid for the amount of work you have to do. It's basically a half-paid internship. Glass half full: you learn a ton.

3). My advice as someone with a similar profile: Bust your hump and get into a consultancy firm if you want to make money. You can always boomerang back into industry but this next time you can do it for a $180k base as a people manager with strategic responsibilities and budget.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

1). MBB doesn't really hire undergrad econ majors and especially not from non-targets like Rice unless you are purely back-office and not on a customer facing track, no offense. Unless you are talking about MBA/Jones, then maybe.

2). Analyst roles are brutally underpaid for the amount of work you have to do. It's basically a half-paid internship. Glass half full: you learn a ton.

3). My advice as someone with a similar profile: Bust your hump and get into a consultancy firm if you want to make money. You can always boomerang back into industry but this next time you can do it for a $180k base as a people manager with strategic responsibilities and budget.

FWIW-From my class of 970 at Rice, Mckinsey hired 3, Bain hired 5, and BCG 8 to "front office" undergrad roles (i.e. Business Analyst at Mckinsey, Associate at BCG, Associate Consultant at Bain). That's across all majors though-maybe four or five of those were econ? They hired lots of ChemE majors. So whi

I honestly don't think I'm particularly underpaid.. Just shy of 100k for 40 hours a week at age 25 isn't bad. Am I getting rich? No, not yet... But plenty of money to have a decent apartment, go on some fun trips, and put away 10% of my paycheck (+6% company match) into a 401k. To your point though-things were definitely less fun making 60-80k, especially when I moved to the northeast.

I'm planning on applying to B-School though for the Fall '22 cycle though and have GMAT scores that should get me into a top 15. So line of site to 175-ish (assuming I do consulting post-MBA) is there before I'm 30.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RiceOwl said:

FWIW-From my class of 970 at Rice, Mckinsey hired 3, Bain hired 5, and BCG 8 to "front office" undergrad roles (i.e. Business Analyst at Mckinsey, Associate at BCG, Associate Consultant at Bain). That's across all majors though-maybe four or five of those were econ? They hired lots of ChemE majors. So whi

I honestly don't think I'm particularly underpaid.. Just shy of 100k for 40 hours a week at age 25 isn't bad. Am I getting rich? No, not yet... But plenty of money to have a decent apartment, go on some fun trips, and put away 10% of my paycheck (+6% company match) into a 401k. To your point though-things were definitely less fun making 60-80k, especially when I moved to the northeast.

I'm planning on applying to B-School though for the Fall '22 cycle though and have GMAT scores that should get me into a top 15. So line of site to 175-ish (assuming I do consulting post-MBA) is there before I'm 30.

Thanks for the response and that‚Äôs super interesting‚ÄĒ and these recruits were out of undergrad business and economics? I get it that Rice is no slouch and has a good national reputation, but a target school it was not (back in my day/get off my lawn!).

I’ve worked at a variety of consultancies and different firms over my many years, but never on a partner track. My advice to you is that if you want to make real money, put in the effort now, get into an M7, and get to work!

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Thanks for the response and that‚Äôs super interesting‚ÄĒ and these recruits were out of undergrad business and economics? I get it that Rice is no slouch and has a good national reputation, but a target school it was not (back in my day/get off my lawn!).

I’ve worked at a variety of consultancies and different firms over my many years, but never on a partner track. My advice to you is that if you want to make real money, put in the effort now, get into an M7, and get to work!

Variety of majors-but four or five out of Econ (Rice didnt have an undergrad business program when I was there-starting it for Fall of ‚Äė21, actually). Variety of locations-but Houston most common obviously. A couple in Atlanta and Dallas. Only 2 off the top of my head were in NY and SF which were the toughest offices to get, pre-Covid at least.

Traditionally, my impression is that most consulting firms only had Dallas and Houston offices in Texas but I know several are opening Austin offices which should be great for UT grads (and Rice to a lesser extent). 
 

I think it‚Äôll be interesting to see how consulting evolves post-Covid as I know many people like it for the travel and perks (in addition to the exit opps). Will clients still want people ‚Äúon-site‚ÄĚ as much!?
 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

Variety of majors-but four or five out of Econ (Rice didnt have an undergrad business program when I was there-starting it for Fall of ‚Äė21, actually). Variety of locations-but Houston most common obviously. A couple in Atlanta and Dallas. Only 2 off the top of my head were in NY and SF which were the toughest offices to get, pre-Covid at least.

Traditionally, my impression is that most consulting firms only had Dallas and Houston offices in Texas but I know several are opening Austin offices which should be great for UT grads (and Rice to a lesser extent). 
 

I think it‚Äôll be interesting to see how consulting evolves post-Covid as I know many people like it for the travel and perks (in addition to the exit opps). Will clients still want people ‚Äúon-site‚ÄĚ as much!?
 

 

I think the answer to that is yes, and you are in CPG now so I'm sure you will see it as well, I'm back onsite in the Midwest for a project for a large CPG and most everyone I know is starting to go back onsite now, most have to be armed with proof of vaccination.

Being on the case team for interesting business problems will never not be valuable and relevant, so lucrative exit opps into industry will always be there IMHO.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think the answer to that is yes, and you are in CPG now so I'm sure you will see it as well, I'm back onsite in the Midwest for a project for a large CPG and most everyone I know is starting to go back onsite now, most have to be armed with proof of vaccination.

Being on the case team for interesting business problems will never not be valuable and relevant, so lucrative exit opps into industry will always be there IMHO.

Yup-Our Chicago and Bentonville offices are open but our NNJ office (where I work) is not yet open. 
 

Of course-Our manufacturing sites never stopped running and our field sales team was only out of stores for a month or so last spring.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, RiceOwl said:

I'm planning on applying to B-School though for the Fall '22 cycle though and have GMAT scores that should get me into a top 15. So line of site to 175-ish (assuming I do consulting post-MBA) is there before I'm 30.

Is the opportunity cost worth it?  B-School will cost $100k+ and you'll lose 2 years at $100k+.  Is the credential actually a necessity for the role and comp you seek?

Of course, I am assuming the "quit your job and go full time" path.  Executive/weekend MBA has a different calculus.  Corporate sponsorship is a no-brainer.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Is the opportunity cost worth it?  B-School will cost $100k+ and you'll lose 2 years at $100k+.  Is the credential actually a necessity for the role and comp you seek?

Of course, I am assuming the "quit your job and go full time" path.  Executive/weekend MBA has a different calculus.  Corporate sponsorship is a no-brainer.

The only way a full time, out of pocket B-School is worth it is when it's a top 15 and you have line of sight to MBB, Big 4 S&O/Consulting, Investment Banking or Private Equity (or maybe O&G/E in Texas and Real Estate in the South), which is his plan. You invest $200k for an Ivy MBA and you can get on a track to make 7 Figures a year, decently early, if you play your cards right.

99% of people aren't type-A or psychotic enough to do this or want that life/lifestyle, but RiceOwl strikes me as a Try-Hard who aspires to bit loafers and Hermes ties, so he'll be fine.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The only way a full time, out of pocket B-School is worth it is when it's a top 15 and you have line of sight to MBB, Big 4 S&O/Consulting, Investment Banking or Private Equity (or maybe O&G/E in Texas and Real Estate in the South), which is his plan. You invest $200k for an Ivy MBA and you can get on a track to make 7 Figures a year, decently early, if you play your cards right.

99% of people aren't type-A or psychotic enough to do this or want that life/lifestyle, but RiceOwl strikes me as a Try-Hard who aspires to bit loafers and Hermes ties, so he'll be fine.

 

3 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

Is the opportunity cost worth it?  B-School will cost $100k+ and you'll lose 2 years at $100k+.  Is the credential actually a necessity for the role and comp you seek?

Of course, I am assuming the "quit your job and go full time" path.  Executive/weekend MBA has a different calculus.  Corporate sponsorship is a no-brainer.

Essentially my plan is to apply to the M7 schools for full-time programs and if I get into one of those, I will go... I'm also applying to NYU Stern for their part-time program which is a very solid PT program. My company will pay for part of the PT program if I go that route so it'd the sting away a bit... I figure that a Stern MBA (even part-time) will give me some level of career optionality down the road (though recognize the recruiting/career change process is less cut and dry than going back FT).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I giggle at all these people who end up paying and spending time for graduate degrees or speciality degrees. Go into sales with something high margin and you will make a fuck ton more money with less years and less opportunity cost missed on. Start work at 22 and make 6+ figs at 25 with no debt. Thats 20+ years of saving with that salary. You have doctors who dont have a real job until 30 with 250k in debt. Why would you do that and have to work until 70? I guess that is the consumerism mindset. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, TechTech said:

I giggle at all these people who end up paying and spending time for graduate degrees or speciality degrees. Go into sales with something high margin and you will make a fuck ton more money with less years and less opportunity cost missed on. Start work at 22 and make 6+ figs at 25 with no debt. Thats 20+ years of saving with that salary. You have doctors who dont have a real job until 30 with 250k in debt. Why would you do that and have to work until 70? I guess that is the consumerism mindset. 

Just depends on the individual. I was poking fun at my friend RiceOwl by calling his career path crazy, but in all honesty, he is a smart, driven guy with a plan and one that fits his desires and values and goals. 

Some people want to live a life that affords more than the middle class aesthetics you outline with making "6 figs" and squirreling 20% of it away fro 20+ years and living a comfortable life. Some people want to do the Financial Independent Retire Early. And some people enjoy prestige and challenging work and being out in front of the headiest (and most lucrative) problems in business. Others want a chance at leading organizations, etc.

Just depends on the person, I guess.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Just depends on the individual. I was poking fun at my friend RiceOwl by calling his career path crazy, but in all honesty, he is a smart, driven guy with a plan and one that fits his desires and values and goals. 

Some people want to live a life that affords more than the middle class aesthetics you outline with making "6 figs" and squirreling 20% of it away fro 20+ years and living a comfortable life. Some people want to do the Financial Independent Retire Early. And some people enjoy prestige and challenging work and being out in front of the headiest (and most lucrative) problems in business. Others want a chance at leading organizations, etc.

Just depends on the person, I guess.

I will never understand those that want to dedicate their life to a corporate machine that would replace them in a week if they stumble. But again, consumerism and indoctrinated norms. 

  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, TechTech said:

I will never understand those that want to dedicate their life to a corporate machine that would replace them in a week if they stumble. But again, consumerism and indoctrinated norms. 

I guess I would redirect you from bemusement to gratitude and happiness, that we live in a society that people can choose career paths and work that fits their interests and goals and everyone can do their own thing! And to your point, there are a variety and many ways to the skin a cat and get to a point where you can earn enough money that meets your definition of good/enough. Some ways even unconventional Read: LA Lifeguard

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I giggle at all these people who end up paying and spending time for graduate degrees or speciality degrees. Go into sales with something high margin and you will make a fuck ton more money with less years and less opportunity cost missed on. Start work at 22 and make 6+ figs at 25 with no debt. Thats 20+ years of saving with that salary. You have doctors who dont have a real job until 30 with 250k in debt. Why would you do that and have to work until 70? I guess that is the consumerism mindset. 

Are you Rocko? Sounds like a rocko take.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bluto said:


Are you Rocko? Sounds like a rocko take.

Go to work at 22 for a publicly traded SaaS company as a BDR or "pre sales" making 60-70k per year. Bust it for a couple of years. Get promoted in inside sales by 25 starting salary of 105k. No time spent chasing degrees. No time spent wasting experience in school. Earn money quicker, people dont understand the time value of money. The 60-70k you would put away over your twenties will be worth 2x-3x more than those that put away money from 30-40 even as doctors. Not to mention doctors and lawyers etc end up with 100k+ in debt in their late 20s. SO not being able to save until 30-35 plus puts you so far behind the curve. For what? Schooling is becoming a borderline scam. Get into the market as early as possible and start making money. Invest it. 

  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TechTech said:

Go to work at 22 for a publicly traded SaaS company as a BDR or "pre sales" making 60-70k per year. Bust it for a couple of years. Get promoted in inside sales by 25 starting salary of 105k. No time spent chasing degrees. No time spent wasting experience in school. Earn money quicker, people dont understand the time value of money. The 60-70k you would put away over your twenties will be worth 2x-3x more than those that put away money from 30-40 even as doctors. Not to mention doctors and lawyers etc end up with 100k+ in debt in their late 20s. SO not being able to save until 30-35 plus puts you so far behind the curve. For what? Schooling is becoming a borderline scam. Get into the market as early as possible and start making money. Invest it. 

I don’t think you’ll find much agreement that the route you took was a wise one, it sounds like, for yourself. But that doesn’t mean it’s the only path towards a successful accomplishment of goals and careers and happiness for everyone. People are different.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2021 at 2:15 AM, 52-80 said:

200k annualized over first many years, when their big tech RSUs vest.  theyre def not getting access to a gross 200k their first or second year unless selling fentanyl on the side.

I mean the first year they get pretty massive signing bonuses in cash and then they get end off review cycle cash bonuses as well that get their W2 income pretty close to 200k at Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple and well over it if you're a returning intern starting at Facebook full time.

My friends that worked at FB as interns and returned got an offer letter for ~115k base + ~200k RSUs + ~100k cash bonus. So you definitely can get 200k+ first year out in base plus signing if you want to do the math that way. Or if you prefer to the math with an amortized TC (the way I and most others prefer to looks at it, you still get there when adding on average performer review bonuses+amortized RSUs/signing bonuses).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/30/2021 at 2:25 PM, TechTech said:

I giggle at all these people who end up paying and spending time for graduate degrees or speciality degrees. Go into sales with something high margin and you will make a fuck ton more money with less years and less opportunity cost missed on. Start work at 22 and make 6+ figs at 25 with no debt. Thats 20+ years of saving with that salary. You have doctors who dont have a real job until 30 with 250k in debt. Why would you do that and have to work until 70? I guess that is the consumerism mindset. 

Not everyone can sell. How many folks do you know who thought they could cut it in the real estate market?   LOLz.  Now compare those idiots with a professional like UTPhil or a few others on this board.  I don't know his degree status, but his reputation in his field is outstanding, with multiple people on here that he has helped. 

I say that as a person without post grad degrees and who sells for a living. It is flat out hilarious/ scary when people are out of their element and have to bail. Wish I had a dollar for every neighbor/ relative/ etc who has washed out of their chosen profession looking my way and and asking for a recommendation in my industry.  It seems so easy on the surface, but it is not. Nobody ever wants to talk about that part, do they?  I just tell them they had better look elsewhere, unless they have demonstrated certain skill sets/ work habits.

 

 

Edited by slorch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I mean the first year they get pretty massive signing bonuses in cash and then they get end off review cycle cash bonuses as well that get their W2 income pretty close to 200k at Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple and well over it if you're a returning intern starting at Facebook full time.

My friends that worked at FB as interns and returned got an offer letter for ~115k base + ~200k RSUs + ~100k cash bonus. So you definitely can get 200k+ first year out in base plus signing if you want to do the math that way. Or if you prefer to the math with an amortized TC (the way I and most others prefer to looks at it, you still get there when adding on average performer review bonuses+amortized RSUs/signing bonuses).

 

I assume those numbers reference starting comp for software engineers. Is that right? I mean, someone starting in marketing or HR isn't getting that package, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CDAK said:

I assume those numbers reference starting comp for software engineers. Is that right? I mean, someone starting in marketing or HR isn't getting that package, right?

Correct and mega correct. HR and marketing still get paid handsomely there but nowhere near that much. All comments about high salaries will be for software engineers unless noted otherwise as that is my field and the field I'm most familiar with. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, TechTech said:

Earn money quicker, people dont understand the time value of money.

You understand that those 2 extra years are exponentially higher on the back end. Yeah, he’s going to miss 2 years at 60-70k, but the idea is a few more years at your max salary is elevated.   Cap out at 150k or work your last few deep into 6, maybe 7 figures.  Pretty sure the dude that just graduated rice and seems to be climbing the ladder fine will get it figured out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoke with a forty acres scholar who is graduating next month.  Between base comp., the low end of the bonus structure, and a conservative NPV of the equity slice he's getting...for BHP graduate...he got a $147k offer.  And I think $4 for relocation.  Which I told him he may as well blow on a road trip with stays at the Four Seasons along the way since you can't take it as ordinary income if you don't use it (according to his offer letter).  That's insane to me, but was really happy for him.  Plus, he's FAS so graduating with zero debt and probably walking off stage with a few grand in his pocket from the stamps allocation.  

A friend of mine who mentors law school grads said (and yes, recent UT grads is not apples to apples with Texas Law).  But you other lawyers may be interested to know this...Latham & Watkins are planting their flag here in Austin (I know they have a substantial presence in Houston), but this is huge as they don't even have a roving partner covering Austin right now.  But they offered her for partnership track a really nice package that includes a bonus on biz dev.  I don't know how to read offers like that by my buddy tells me it's worth in 2022, about $240-$260k to her.  Sure, her life as she knows it is over for the next 5-10 years, but for the second largest law firm in the nation to handpick you to help jumpstart their Austin office, that's pretty damn special.  

In other news, I still didn't make Assistant Vice President at our bank.  Maybe next month.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



√ó
√ó
  • Create New...