Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope EH Taylor Single Barrel isn't head that way. It's the same price as Elijah Craig Barrel Proof right now. It shouldn't exceed that threshold. 

From googling, it seems MSRP is 60 or so. He marked it up a bit but not much. I never see it on the shelf anyways 

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

From googling, it seems MSRP is 60 or so. He marked it up a bit but not much. I never see it on the shelf anyways 

I kind of fumbled my way into a bottle of Barrel Proof. I haven't seen it since.

Spec's has pulled everything Eagle Rare or above from the shelves. Good luck my friends. 

On 7/4/2018 at 6:22 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm prepared to write a review on a Woodford Reserve Bath Proof. 

It's good, as expected for a high proof from Woodford. It's priced too darned high though. I'd say it's a buy in the $75 range, but they tacked another 50 bucks on to MSRP. 

Has anybody visited the Woodford distillery? Any unique tastings/buys available?

I visited the distillery in 2012 and it was breathtaking. Exit Highway 60 to the distillery takes you through beautiful horse farms and rolling grassy hills. I don't remember any special tasting (I think $10 got you a heavy duty plastic WR shot glass and one shot) but the tour was pretty good. It's not as good of a tasting tour as Makers Mark or Barton 1792.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope EH Taylor Single Barrel isn't head that way. It's the same price as Elijah Craig Barrel Proof right now. It shouldn't exceed that threshold. 

Drinking EHT single barrel tonight and it’s pretty damn good for something routinely available and $65 out the door.  

1 hour ago, Bud Davis said:

I had the RY10 at Albert G's in Tulsa last week and loved it. Came across a bottle today for 80 bucks. Yes, I bought it.

How is the selection at Albert G's. Always go through Tulsa, but have never stepped in.

Went out to Forney today and toured Five Points Distillery and tasted their line of Lone Elm Vodka, Small batch Texas Wheat whiskey and their new Single Barrel Wheater.
Single Barrel was good enough for me to pull the trigger on a bottle.
It’s a 4 yr whiskey from locally grown wheat.
Surprisingly very smooth for 109 proof.
65e44fa3b656100dae010fa7a07ed45c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Went out to Forney today and toured Five Points Distillery and tasted their line of Lone Elm Vodka, Small batch Texas Wheat whiskey and their new Single Barrel Wheater.

It's a high proof single barrel from Texas, so you must have paid at least $180. - Garrison Bros (probably) 

• Like 1

It's a high proof single barrel from Texas, so you must have paid at least $180. - Garrison Bros (probably) 

It was $75. It’s different and better than Garrison IMO. I think it is priced about $20-$25 more than it should be, but I get it...it’s a small operation that hasn’t been in the market very long and they are probably wanting to start recouping some $ ay this point.

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

It was $75. It’s different and better than Garrison IMO. I think it is priced about $20-$25 more than it should be, but I get it...it’s a small operation that hasn’t been in the market very long and they are probably wanting to start recouping some $ ay this point.

You're skating on thin ice with the Dan Garrison admirers. Best of luck to you, I would duck. 

Hey guys they just doubled production of the 1792 Collapse Survivor Release.
$129, allocation only. 

With as many 1792 variations as there are, it will be released as both the original warehouse collapse version, and the even more allocated July 4th Edition.
  • Like 2

I think RY10 is far superior to Blantons. Am i crazy? Expected it to be much closer competition. Blantons is to much like Eagle Rare to justify the price.

It’s not. RY10 is really good. I don’t think it’s on the same level as W12 but it’s damn good.

RY10 is a wheated bourbon like Weller, Fitz and Larceny. Blantons, ETL and RHF and Ancient Age are all from the same high rye mashbill.

I think you probably just like wheaters.

On 7/6/2018 at 9:33 PM, ckhorn said:

How is the selection at Albert G's. Always go through Tulsa, but have never stepped in.

It is solid with good prices. Had 4 EH Taylor choices. Bartender was knowledgable as well. Nothing crazy like Pappy but plenty to choose from. Bbq was good as well.

11 hours ago, Bud Davis said:

It is solid with good prices. Had 4 EH Taylor choices. Bartender was knowledgable as well. Nothing crazy like Pappy but plenty to choose from. Bbq was good as well.

Every Pappy is easy to find a pour.  Just hard to justify.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2018 at 9:13 AM, BigDHornfan said:

Only one on here that seems to like Garrison is Armybrat.  If my death comes from the stately grandfather of Surl, I would consider that an honor.

On 7/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, BigDHornfan said:

On 7/7/2018 at 8:37 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

On 7/7/2018 at 9:02 PM, BigDHornfan said:

On 7/7/2018 at 9:54 PM, Neonmoon said:

Big fan of their advertising 

https://lone-elm.com/

On 7/7/2018 at 10:30 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

You're skating on thin ice with the Dan Garrison admirers. Best of luck to you, I would duck. 

Is this stuff even bourbon?

17 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

We've discussed Rye on this thread before, so didn't see any reason why this would be different.  We don't have a generic "whiskey" thread so I talked about it here.   

Didnt have a problem with it, but saw it was being compared to Garrison Brothers Bourbon, hence the question

40 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Didnt have a problem with it, but saw it was being compared to Garrison Brothers Bourbon, hence the question

Comparing a wheated bourbon to a wheat whiskey isn’t that big of a stretch. There just aren’t that many wheat whiskies out there. Probably the only one people have tried is Bernheim.