Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 7/7/2021 at 7:37 AM, Buzzrock said:

Seems like everything decent is over $50 now. I went out to grab a couple bottles as thank you gifts, and ended up going with 4RSB for $42. Is there any bang for your buck bourbon any more? Maybe Larceny?

Along with everything already mentioned, I like Old Grandad BIB as a cheap bottle 

• Like 1

Going to a raffle tomorrow, how would you rank these bottles purchased at non-marked up prices?

Old Rip Van Winkle

Old Forrester 150 Anniversary

Elijah Craig 18

Parker's Heritage 10 Year Heavy Char

Hancock's President's Reserve

Four Roses OESO

Elmer T Lee

Michter's Toasted 

Micther's Rye

OWA

Weller 12

Blanton's 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Going to a raffle tomorrow, how would you rank these bottles purchased at non-marked up prices?

Old Rip Van Winkle

Elijah Craig 18

Four Roses OESO

Elmer T Lee

Michter's Toasted 

Micther's Rye

OWA

Weller 12

Blanton's 

Old Rip Van Winkle is number 1. @ me surly. 

Parker's and Michter's Rye round out my top 3. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Old Rip Van Winkle is number 1. @ me surly. 

Parker's and Michter's Rye round out my top 3. 

The Michter’s Rye was a bigger bottle, maybe 1L? Also the toasted barrel was barrel strength, not sure if the rye was 

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Old Rip Van Winkle

Elijah Craig 18

Four Roses OESO

Elmer T Lee

Michter's Toasted 

Micther's Rye

OWA

Weller 12

Blanton's 

rip, parkers, hancocks, etl, ec18, weller 12, blantons, and all the rest.

• Like 1

The Michter’s Rye was a bigger bottle, maybe 1L? Also the toasted barrel was barrel strength, not sure if the rye was 

Bigger bottle as in taller and not shaped like the traditional ones? That means it’s the 10yr and that is absolute #2. Almost positive they don’t have any offerings in the 1L or 1.75L

4 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Bigger bottle as in taller and not shaped like the traditional ones? That means it’s the 10yr and that is absolute #2. Almost positive they don’t have any offerings in the 1L or 1.75L

Yep. #2 behind Old Rip or Parker’s?

16 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Rip but that’s because I would immediately flip it for two of those michter’s 10yr. Old Rip isn’t worth anything close to what it’s bringing on the secondary market. I’m not sure I would buy it at retail. Now Lot B, well that’s a horse of a different color.

Oh, gotcha. Thoughts on the rest? 

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Here’s sorted by secondary:

Old Rip Van Winkle

Elmer T Lee

Michter's 10 yr Rye 

Michter's Toasted 

Weller 12

Elijah Craig 18

Four Roses OESO

Blanton's 

OWA

• Hook 'Em 1

I love Old Rip. Better than Lot B. Holds its own against WLW. It’s a damned good wheater. I think people are pissed because it once cost $50 and was attainable. 

I know we bitch a lot in this thread, but we’re relatively blessed in Houston/Austin/Dallas/San Antonio. If you don’t believe me go check out a liquor store in Big Spring or Midland. 

18 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I love Old Rip. Better than Lot B. Holds its own against WLW. It’s a damned good wheater. I think people are pissed because it once cost $50 and was attainable. 

I know we bitch a lot in this thread, but we’re relatively blessed in Houston/Austin/Dallas/San Antonio. If you don’t believe me go check out a liquor store in Big Spring or Midland. 

Or we could go back to the good old days when the Centennial at Walnut Hill/75 was the highest volume liquor store in the country because if you headed north from there you wouldn’t hit another one until Oklahoma.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:08 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

If you're planning on actually drinking the bottle, put EC18, W12, ETL and Blanton's towards the bottom. 

Didn’t get called for the main raffled, but did get an EC barrel proof, so at least I got something?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Or we could go back to the good old days when the Centennial at Walnut Hill/75 was the highest volume liquor store in the country because if you headed north from there you wouldn’t hit another one until Oklahoma.

Damn. Hadn’t thought about Centennial in years.
Throw Red Coleman’s in the mix too.

I’m low key kicking it with some Blanton’s tonight. Pretty good, but yeah, I like the tasting notes on Bowman SiB better. The extra proof is a big help. 

Making more Bowman SiB, less Blanton’s, and much more SFTB is how I’d steer Buffalo Trace. Unfortunately my opinion counts for jack squat. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

A-Smith-Bowman-Distillery_John-J-Bowman.

What’s the preferred price range on this one.  I found Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye this week for $62 so I passed.  Same store had Stagg Jr #15 for $200 and ER for $80.  Stupid.  

Edited by stork642

Cracked open some bottles with bil last night. Smokewagon u/u, michters 10, michters sour toasted, cream of Kentucky, plain ol’ Blantons, pappy 15. First time trying smoke wagon - not sure if I got an off bottle, but it tasted almost like Marsala or Sherry to me.. super sweet, tons of dried fruit (prune, fig), just really weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What’s the thread consensus on Widow Jane 15 for $188? 

Haven’t had it, but had 14 and didn’t love it. I’d grab a 13 year single barrel for almost half the price.  They batch Dickel in those Vault blends. 

• Hook 'Em 1